Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      12-08-2011 10:50 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Just do it. If you can afford it without going up against a wall, do it.

I agree about the comments on soul and VWs. You have to have been to the bottom of the well with VWs to truly get the whole soul thing. But once you've been there, it's hard to stay away. I wouldn't call it soul, per se, more of just the comfort of knowing that if you're going to get screwed, you will at least enjoy it for the most part.

I have a beater MkIII that I fully expect to give me small amounts of grief for a long, long time. I will love every minute of it, because I know exactly how to deal with it, and can do so when I choose to. I live in no fear of it having issues - I know that one day, it will. It will be the wrong time and the wrong place, but whatever. It's a ton of fun to drive. I smile whenever I look at it. I giggle when I stuff it full of shopping and still fit my family inside comfortably. I really giggle when I pass people on the Autobahn. But one day, she will give me issues. I think it will be the day I have to get the TÜV renewed. Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that..... Stupid PCV system....
      I agree completely. Are VW's the best cars out there? Not by a longshot, but it only took owning one to want another. It was expensive as sh*t to maintain, and needed constant attention but when I looked at it sitting outside someone's house, or got the thumbs up from someone in a GTI, Jetta, or whatever, I always felt a little tug at my heart strings.

"Soul" to me means character and emotion. It means a car will have behaviors rather than just exist.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      12-08-2011 11:03 AM #107
      A to everyone - this is turning out much better than expected.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Schwinn Continental
      12-08-2011 11:15 AM #108
      I also really loved my VW. It was just a MK3 Golf but it ranks as my favorite car behind the modified 66 mustang I had. I'd love another but I wouldnt want to have to rely on it as my only means of transportation.

I'm torn between finding something with a VR or an older Civic (EF or EG) when it comes to replacing my Focus for a DD.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      12-08-2011 11:18 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Right? How boring. The spirit of TCL compels me.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:22 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      words and stuff

Meh meh meh.

**** that ****.
      Nice rant, considering you change cars more often than I change oil.

Are you taunting me, Fokker?
      I've got a pocket full of pretty green -I'm gonna put it in the fruit machine -
      I'm gonna put it in the juke box -It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

6. 12-08-2011 11:22 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra? I test drove one before I went in the army and I had dreams about that car for months afterward. Driving it was beyond heavenly. I just wrapped around me. I've never driven a car that felt like that to me since
      I the MKIII. I wanted a Turbo in HS, and one of the greatest, most ridiculous street races I ever saw was a red MKIII Turbo and a black WS6 on I-95. I test drove an '89 back in ' 98 and, even though, it was NA it still kicked the back end out all fun-like.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      12-08-2011 11:23 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      U just mad cuz u baught the rong .:R32 bro.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:24 AM #113
      To a point. The old pricks like feels road and the new trolls that pop up daily are what kill it for me.

Basically, I knew ahead of time who would contribute to this thread before I posted it. It may be boring, but at least a civil discussion can be had. Then I can stay in OT and talk about my dump this morning, or your imminent heart attack all in the same place.

Its a win-win.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      12-08-2011 11:25 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      U just mad cuz u baught the rong .:R32 bro.
      Not mad cause I bought the F.A.P. (fat, automatic pig) edition R32, mad cause it was an unreliable, expensive POS....and for what?! Nothin I tell ya, nothin.

Then I can stay in OT and talk about my dump this morning, or your imminent heart attack all in the same place.
      It must be hard to believe that I'm not fat and actually in fairly good shape...I know it is for even me.
      Now go get your shinebox

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Schwinn Continental
      12-08-2011 11:28 AM #115
      It must be hard to believe that I'm not fat and actually in fairly good shape...I know it is for even me.
      Malnutrition is weird like that.

11. 12-08-2011 11:29 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by sjt1985 View Post
      I am have been thinking about my next car. While I do like VW, I get the impression that they are the pits to work on yourself and diagnose. If this was disproved, I would consider a GTI or TDI as my next car.
      Actually, my MKIIIs have been the most easy to diagnose and work on out of an MX-6, Altima, Volvo 740 and Mazda3.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-08-2011 11:30 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Nice rant, considering you change cars more often than I change oil.
      ?
      That's WHY I change cars more often than I change oil! It's because I friggin' keep chasing that one that will make me feel something!
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:32 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      That's WHY I change cars more often than I change oil! It's because I friggin' keep chasing that one that will make me feel something!
      Keep chasing the meh!
      I'm gonna put it in the juke box -It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #119
      Also:

Titletown - Y U No Snow?

I bought tires and waited until Thanksgiving because we haven't had any lasting accumulation. The tires are pretty awesome in mud though, found that out on Monday when went and cut an Xmas tree.

Anybody else having this problem?

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #120
      Not mad cause I bought the F.A.P. (fat, automatic pig) edition R32, mad cause it was an unreliable, expensive POS....and for what?! Nothin I tell ya, nothin.

I won't ever fault a former vw owner for being bitter, never.

Just coz you're not fat, doesn't mean those arteries of yours arent working overtime

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #121
      **** that ****.
      No ****.

Even boring commuter cars are amazing. We just got an Outback for like 25k-ish. It has a back up camera in the fricken rear view, reclining rear seats, heated seats, bluetooth and iPod/audo integration, sunroof/moonroof, roofrack, etc, etc, etc. Plus top reliability scores, 6 airbags, rollover sensors and top safety scores, all wheel drive, a CVT with paddle shifters, power seats, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and it's "slow", but it will hang with a slew of early '80s muscle cars in acceleration, while carrying 5 people and all their gear and getting 30mpg.

I mean, you can see where they cut some corners, but instead of dash stroking, I don't know how people aren't instead like "Holy crap, 10 years ago I would have needed to spend 6 figures on a car to get half the crap this has". I mean, my phone rings and it answers over the speakers. I put it in reverse and a camera with dimensional overlays pops up in front of me. The people in the backseat can stretch out like they're on a JetBlue flight. And it's safer, faster, and more reliable than just about any car on the road when I first got my license. And for like another $1500, the car will literally talk to me and tell me how to get where I need to go.

Yet people complain? And this is an entry level wagon and it's 1 step away from being manufactured by Knight Industries for christ sakes.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:41 AM #122
      I'm sick of snow, and our dailys both keep no-seasons on all year. It can stay away as far as im concerned...i'll miss the forester even more when it does start accumulating

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      12-08-2011 11:43 AM #123

Just coz you're not fat, doesn't mean those arteries of yours arent working overtime
      Mommy always told me it's what's on the inside that counts. Not sure if that includes clogged ventricles.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-08-2011 11:43 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post

Anybody else having this problem?
      I'm wondering if I'll even need them this year. We had almost 10 inches of snow on Halloween up here near Boston. My snow tires were in the basement. I was pissed. Then it melted. It's been like 50 degrees ever since.

I didn't put them on last year, but I only drove the car about 3 times a month. This year though, I might not bother putting them on because I just might not need to.

(and with that said, I'm sure we'll get 2 feet of snow this weekend and i'll get stuck )
      Last edited by GTiTOM; 12-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:47 AM #125
      Tom - my MIL has an outback specd like yours. It has the features a lexus wouldn't have had only five years ago -at you're spot-on.

Just can't get over those looks, though.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-08-2011 11:51 AM #126
      Tom - my MIL has an outback specd like yours. It has the features a lexus wouldn't have had only five years ago -at you're spot-on.

Just can't get over those looks, though.
      Oh ya, of all the cars we were cross-shopping it to it was definitely the ugliest. But also the cheapest, with more features, for about $20k less. And my wife loves the looks. She absolutely loves the cheesy silver plastic touches and the big plastic trim pieces on the outside. She saw it and was like "THIS is what a car should look like". I was like , but I also wasn't about to start dash stroking.

It was funny though, at the Audi dealership the guy was like "make sure you feel the texture of the materials in the other cars you drive ---- you'll found Audi's to be the highest quality". I wanted to say "what internet forum did you read that in?"

For the price and the features and how much she loves it, I can deal with it the slightly odd look

12-08-2011 11:55 AM #127
      hotdog meets hallway, huh?

I peruse craigslist for the following:

Cherokees
      Wranglers
      Caymans
      Boxsters
      miatas
      old broke VWs
      Corvettes

In the hopes that something will trigger a desire to snatch it up...still isn't working, so I'll go piddle with one or two bolts on the vw in the garage.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:56 AM #128
      I agree about the Outback, the best one ever...but..

My nephew traded in his CX9 for a loaded new Camry. It's actually quite plush and comfy......but....

.Maybe I am just a glutton for punishment. That and I hate loans.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:56 AM #129
      Heh, he's probably a vortex member. I like the interior, it the exterior looks that get me.

Funny, because I can tolerate the legacy. We almost bought one a year ago...for some reason I just can't warm up to the OB like I've always been able to in previous gens. The former model (both pre and post refresh) look downright pretty now.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 12:04 PM #130
      Funny, because I can tolerate the legacy. We almost bought one a year ago...for some reason I just can't warm up to the OB like I've always been able to in previous gens. The former model (both pre and post refresh) look downright pretty now.
      I agree, the 2000-09 Legacy models were absolutely stunning highlights in beige segments. Great looks, interesting engineering, reliability (for the most part), and a very high customer retention rate. I can't wait to dump her Passat for one.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 12:09 PM #131
      Maybe I can sell her on a new Impreza wagon with CVT if it really does get 36mpgs. Then a few years after that I can park a BRZ next to it.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 12:14 PM #132
      My mil is claiming to get 30 on the highway in hers, and that has the older engine (not to mention all the extra weight). 36 sounds downright impressive , I hope it's true as well.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      12-08-2011 02:19 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I'm confused by this. It doesn't bother or affect me in the slightest whether you like it or not, but can you please explain why you think it will be appliance like? The BRZ is shaping up to be a no frills, lightweight, Miata sized coupe with a 7500rpm boxer engine and LSD standard, developed by Subaru and aimed squarely at enthusiasts. If thats not the antithesis of appliance, we have very different definitions of appliance. And with only a handful of journalists, how could you have determined a 14 year old BMW sedan is going to be more fun?

Like I said, your opinion doesn't affect me or really bother me...but your conclusions do confuse me.
      I base my thoughts on past experiences with Japanese sports cars. I worked for Porsche for 5 years, and took in trades of every description. Along with the usual Merceds, BMW, Ferrari, corvette trades, there were quite a few Japanese cars as well; NSX, S2000, late model Supras. None ofthose cars grabbed me like I want a car to. They all performed really well, looked good. THey did everything well, but just felt bland. It's not something I can put my finger on, just a feeling you get when driving.

My fear is that they'll make the BRZ a little too polished. They'll engineer the soul out of the car. It happened with the GTR, and I think they'll do it with this.

I will happily eat my words once I drive it, if it proves me wrong.

93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      04 R32 02 WRX Wagon
      12-08-2011 02:22 PM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperdan View Post

My fear is that they'll make the BRZ a little too polished. They'll engineer the soul out of the car. It happened with the GTR, and I think they'll do it with this.

I am hoping the light weight is a factor of minimal or lack thereof of sound deadening materials. If the BRZ is as fun to drive as previews are saying and it's a visceral experience behind the wheel; I think it would be hard not to buy it.

30. 12-08-2011 03:25 PM #135
      I base my thoughts on past experiences with Japanese sports cars. I worked for Porsche for 5 years, and took in trades of every description. Along with the usual Merceds, BMW, Ferrari, corvette trades, there were quite a few Japanese cars as well; NSX, S2000, late model Supras. None ofthose cars grabbed me like I want a car to. They all performed really well, looked good. THey did everything well, but just felt bland. It's not something I can put my finger on, just a feeling you get when driving.

Fair enough. And I do say good sir, thank you for the polite response.

/monocle wearing.

Out of curiosity, aside from the Japanese sports cars you've driven, have you ever driven a Miata? I only ask because everything out there seems to indicate its a hardtop Miata with 200hp stock.

31. 12-08-2011 03:46 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      "Soul" to me means character and emotion. It means a car will have behaviors rather than just exist.
      This is one of my biggest problems with my daily, it just exists.
      Now the '94 Golf in the garage has "Soul", sadly I think I dropped a valve and it might need a heart transplant soon.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      12-08-2011 03:56 PM #137

I never buy this soul nonsense. There is way too much effusive praise for the joie de vivre related to driving NSXes and even the more updated GTR to talk about soul or lack thereof. I think it's a copout for someone that doesn't like Japanese sports cars and doesn't want to admit it.

Anyway, the BRZ/FR-S seem like cool cars. I'd like to take one for a spin once they're available. It'd be a nice sports car to have in the world of $4/gallon gas. Then again, Mustangs will always be my first love and with something like a sports car you gotta go with your heart, right? I'm assuming women feel the same way about engagement rings.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      12-08-2011 03:59 PM #138
      You sound like you need to get on two wheels, seriously. Maybe I've "grown up" but I'm having a hard time feeling the same excitement for cars as I once did mostly because the ones I want are out of reach based on lifestyle, but also because it seems like most cars are just too appliance like. Even the more sport oriented vehicles cater towards the safer side of boring instead of injecting a bit of controversy and excitement.

It can be difficult to justify a second car on the better side of exciting but motorcycles are another story all together, you almost have to try to find something boring and appliance like. Best part is entry into this hobby can be pretty cheap and pretty cheap to maintain, although it can be hard not to go after accessories and customization. All it took for me was a safety course a little over a year ago, I haven't looked back since and don't care that I have a mundane, boring, vanilla-beige 4-wheel cage to haul my stuff around. If I want that fizzy feeling I'll take the bike
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      12-08-2011 04:32 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Fair enough. And I do say good sir, thank you for the polite response.

/monocle wearing.

Out of curiosity, aside from the Japanese sports cars you've driven, have you ever driven a Miata? I only ask because everything out there seems to indicate its a hardtop Miata with 200hp stock.
      I'm all about respect and grown-up discussion, that's why I rarely post in TCL.

lol

I'm 6'6" and weigh in around 260lb. I have not "really" driven a Miata! I've moved them around, but have never been able to take one for a proper drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I never buy this soul nonsense. There is way too much effusive praise for the joie de vivre related to driving NSXes and even the more updated GTR to talk about soul or lack thereof. I think it's a copout for someone that doesn't like Japanese sports cars and doesn't want to admit it.
      I've been lucky when it comes to cars. I worked for 14 years for a Porsche dealer and a BMW dealer, 5 of those in Porsche sales. I've been lucky enough to drive most of the exotics and high end cars available. Many of those cars I've been able to autocross. And I still attend autocross events, and have the ability to drive some of these cars.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a huge fan of Japanese cars. I don't like North American cars much for that matter. But I will give credit where it's due. European cars just have a certain feel about them. They're not perfect, they have flaws and quirks, and that's what makes them interesting and exciting to me. The Acura NSX is the easiest example for me. The NSX looks amazing. It's fast, it handles beautifully, the steering is sharp, it's completely reliable. The NSX does everything really, really well. But when driving it, it doesn't feel any more special than an Accord.

The Corvette is another example. The early C5 Vette is a terrible car. It's uncomfortable, it rattles and makes weird noises. The interior is cheap. The seats are awful. But I kind of dig it. It handles well, and has that torque that shoves you into your seat with some drama. It's a car that you curse, but you kind of want to do it again.

The GTR is one that I'm on the fence with. It looks pretty good, and has little competition in terms of performance. It's amazing. But there's no drama. I want to feel something when I drive, even if it's the terror of a Viper that's had turbos added. The GTR is almost too easy.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what makes me like a performance car, but when it comes down to it, it has to evoke and emotion from me. Whether good or bad, I need to feel something.

It's no copout, it's how I feel. When Asia builds a sports car that can get me excited, I'll happily sing its praises. Until then, the Germans have a lock on it.
      93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      12-08-2011 05:34 PM #140
      I miss my Audi 90 Ingrid was an awesome car...
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast