Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The car enthusiast thread. All topics are fair game - you just need to love cars (since TCL doesn't)

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      12-08-2011 10:22 AM #101
      Glad you finally joined us, Turbio.
      King for President.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      12-08-2011 10:23 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Meh meh meh.
      Yeah, that about sums it up.

I think it has to do with the culture in TCL now. It seems that it is very unpopular to like anything now. If you like a car it means you're a "fanboi". It's much cooler to be a curmudgeon about every car regardless of how cool it is.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      You can promote hate with pencil as you do with a gun. For me they are both the same.
      Frightening ideology, no?

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      12-08-2011 10:23 AM #103
      Random thought time, some of which are inspired by comments in this thread:

1. People that don't get why people are into cars, should go and watch the Eric Bana movie, "Love The Beast." That explains it perfectly right there.

2. I'm a car guy, I can accept and appreciate pretty much anything with wheels. As long as the person has put some thought and care into their car, I can dig it. Even if I wouldn't consider ever owning something like it.

3. PVW magazine is annoying. Same cars over and over, always described as being unique. Really? Another Mk2 on BBS with a VR swap, owned by some hipster with ironic 80s props nearby? Yeah, unique. And before anyone classes me as a VW hating person, I've owned 5 of them them, loved everyone, and will continue to own VWs. The "scene" is annoying. My current VW is a 93 Passat wagon with a Turbo VR6.

4. I love big ass trucks too.

5. The GTR does not excite me in any way, shape, or form. I've driven it a couple of times, and it has the same problem as the old Acura NSX. Looks good, awesome performance, comfortbale, no soul. I want performance cars to make me feel something; whether it's excitement, confusion, or fear, the car needs to evoke a response. The GTR makes me go "meh."

6. Why are people so giddy over Japanese RHD imports? These old Skylines, Soarers, Delicas, etc are dime a dozen over here. They all look really rough around the edges, and they all drive like what they are: 15 year old Nissans and Toyotas. They're like driving your mom's old Maxima, but less convenient because of where you're sitting.

7. The BRZ is interesting, and is probably the only interesting Toyota since the Supra was killed off. Still wouldn't buy one though. I sense that it will feel very appliance like, and that my 6'6" body will most likely not fit. I'll take a used Boxster or E36 instead. yeah, maybe those aren't as fast, or as cheap to run, but I know I'll have more fun, and I know I fit.

8. The EcoBoost is not the be-all end-all for truck engines. It has power and fuel economy. But not at the same time.

I think that's it for now.

93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      12-08-2011 10:26 AM #104
      Just do it. If you can afford it without going up against a wall, do it.

I agree about the comments on soul and VWs. You have to have been to the bottom of the well with VWs to truly get the whole soul thing. But once you've been there, it's hard to stay away. I wouldn't call it soul, per se, more of just the comfort of knowing that if you're going to get screwed, you will at least enjoy it for the most part.

I have a beater MkIII that I fully expect to give me small amounts of grief for a long, long time. I will love every minute of it, because I know exactly how to deal with it, and can do so when I choose to. I live in no fear of it having issues - I know that one day, it will. It will be the wrong time and the wrong place, but whatever. It's a ton of fun to drive. I smile whenever I look at it. I giggle when I stuff it full of shopping and still fit my family inside comfortably. I really giggle when I pass people on the Autobahn. But one day, she will give me issues. I think it will be the day I have to get the TÜV renewed. Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that..... Stupid PCV system....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      12-08-2011 10:43 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperdan View Post
      7. The BRZ is interesting, and is probably the only interesting Toyota since the Supra was killed off. Still wouldn't buy one though. I sense that it will feel very appliance like, and that my 6'6" body will most likely not fit. I'll take a used Boxster or E36 instead. yeah, maybe those aren't as fast, or as cheap to run, but I know I'll have more fun, and I know I fit.

I'm confused by this. It doesn't bother or affect me in the slightest whether you like it or not, but can you please explain why you think it will be appliance like? The BRZ is shaping up to be a no frills, lightweight, Miata sized coupe with a 7500rpm boxer engine and LSD standard, developed by Subaru and aimed squarely at enthusiasts. If thats not the antithesis of appliance, we have very different definitions of appliance. And with only a handful of journalists, how could you have determined a 14 year old BMW sedan is going to be more fun?

Like I said, your opinion doesn't affect me or really bother me...but your conclusions do confuse me.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      12-08-2011 10:50 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Just do it. If you can afford it without going up against a wall, do it.

I agree about the comments on soul and VWs. You have to have been to the bottom of the well with VWs to truly get the whole soul thing. But once you've been there, it's hard to stay away. I wouldn't call it soul, per se, more of just the comfort of knowing that if you're going to get screwed, you will at least enjoy it for the most part.

I have a beater MkIII that I fully expect to give me small amounts of grief for a long, long time. I will love every minute of it, because I know exactly how to deal with it, and can do so when I choose to. I live in no fear of it having issues - I know that one day, it will. It will be the wrong time and the wrong place, but whatever. It's a ton of fun to drive. I smile whenever I look at it. I giggle when I stuff it full of shopping and still fit my family inside comfortably. I really giggle when I pass people on the Autobahn. But one day, she will give me issues. I think it will be the day I have to get the TÜV renewed. Hmmmm. Not looking forward to that..... Stupid PCV system....
      I agree completely. Are VW's the best cars out there? Not by a longshot, but it only took owning one to want another. It was expensive as sh*t to maintain, and needed constant attention but when I looked at it sitting outside someone's house, or got the thumbs up from someone in a GTI, Jetta, or whatever, I always felt a little tug at my heart strings.

"Soul" to me means character and emotion. It means a car will have behaviors rather than just exist.
      Free Patrikman 2015. #letmypeoplego

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:03 AM #107
      A to everyone - this is turning out much better than expected.
      King for President.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      12-08-2011 11:15 AM #108
      I also really loved my VW. It was just a MK3 Golf but it ranks as my favorite car behind the modified 66 mustang I had. I'd love another but I wouldnt want to have to rely on it as my only means of transportation.

I'm torn between finding something with a VR or an older Civic (EF or EG) when it comes to replacing my Focus for a DD.

Vehicles
      Crosstrek
      12-08-2011 11:18 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Right? How boring. The spirit of TCL compels me.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:22 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      words and stuff

Meh meh meh.

**** that ****.
      Nice rant, considering you change cars more often than I change oil.

Are you taunting me, Fokker?

11. 12-08-2011 11:22 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      You mean like the '87 Toyota Supra? I test drove one before I went in the army and I had dreams about that car for months afterward. Driving it was beyond heavenly. I just wrapped around me. I've never driven a car that felt like that to me since
      I the MKIII. I wanted a Turbo in HS, and one of the greatest, most ridiculous street races I ever saw was a red MKIII Turbo and a black WS6 on I-95. I test drove an '89 back in ' 98 and, even though, it was NA it still kicked the back end out all fun-like.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      12-08-2011 11:23 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      U just mad cuz u baught the rong .:R32 bro.
      Free Patrikman 2015. #letmypeoplego

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:24 AM #113
      To a point. The old pricks like feels road and the new trolls that pop up daily are what kill it for me.

Basically, I knew ahead of time who would contribute to this thread before I posted it. It may be boring, but at least a civil discussion can be had. Then I can stay in OT and talk about my dump this morning, or your imminent heart attack all in the same place.

Its a win-win.
      King for President.

Vehicles
      Crosstrek
      12-08-2011 11:25 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      U just mad cuz u baught the rong .:R32 bro.
      Not mad cause I bought the F.A.P. (fat, automatic pig) edition R32, mad cause it was an unreliable, expensive POS....and for what?! Nothin I tell ya, nothin.

Then I can stay in OT and talk about my dump this morning, or your imminent heart attack all in the same place.
      It must be hard to believe that I'm not fat and actually in fairly good shape...I know it is for even me.
      Now go get your shinebox

15. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      12-08-2011 11:28 AM #115
      It must be hard to believe that I'm not fat and actually in fairly good shape...I know it is for even me.
      Malnutrition is weird like that.

16. 12-08-2011 11:29 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by sjt1985 View Post
      I am have been thinking about my next car. While I do like VW, I get the impression that they are the pits to work on yourself and diagnose. If this was disproved, I would consider a GTI or TDI as my next car.
      Actually, my MKIIIs have been the most easy to diagnose and work on out of an MX-6, Altima, Volvo 740 and Mazda3.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-08-2011 11:30 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Nice rant, considering you change cars more often than I change oil.
      ?
      That's WHY I change cars more often than I change oil! It's because I friggin' keep chasing that one that will make me feel something!
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:32 AM #118
      That's WHY I change cars more often than I change oil! It's because I friggin' keep chasing that one that will make me feel something!
      Keep chasing the meh!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #119
      Also:

Titletown - Y U No Snow?

I bought tires and waited until Thanksgiving because we haven't had any lasting accumulation. The tires are pretty awesome in mud though, found that out on Monday when went and cut an Xmas tree.

Anybody else having this problem?

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #120
      Not mad cause I bought the F.A.P. (fat, automatic pig) edition R32, mad cause it was an unreliable, expensive POS....and for what?! Nothin I tell ya, nothin.

I won't ever fault a former vw owner for being bitter, never.

Just coz you're not fat, doesn't mean those arteries of yours arent working overtime
      King for President.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-08-2011 11:39 AM #121
      **** that ****.
      No ****.

Even boring commuter cars are amazing. We just got an Outback for like 25k-ish. It has a back up camera in the fricken rear view, reclining rear seats, heated seats, bluetooth and iPod/audo integration, sunroof/moonroof, roofrack, etc, etc, etc. Plus top reliability scores, 6 airbags, rollover sensors and top safety scores, all wheel drive, a CVT with paddle shifters, power seats, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and it's "slow", but it will hang with a slew of early '80s muscle cars in acceleration, while carrying 5 people and all their gear and getting 30mpg.

I mean, you can see where they cut some corners, but instead of dash stroking, I don't know how people aren't instead like "Holy crap, 10 years ago I would have needed to spend 6 figures on a car to get half the crap this has". I mean, my phone rings and it answers over the speakers. I put it in reverse and a camera with dimensional overlays pops up in front of me. The people in the backseat can stretch out like they're on a JetBlue flight. And it's safer, faster, and more reliable than just about any car on the road when I first got my license. And for like another $1500, the car will literally talk to me and tell me how to get where I need to go.

Yet people complain? And this is an entry level wagon and it's 1 step away from being manufactured by Knight Industries for christ sakes.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:41 AM #122
      I'm sick of snow, and our dailys both keep no-seasons on all year. It can stay away as far as im concerned...i'll miss the forester even more when it does start accumulating
      King for President.

Vehicles
      Crosstrek
      12-08-2011 11:43 AM #123

Just coz you're not fat, doesn't mean those arteries of yours arent working overtime
      Mommy always told me it's what's on the inside that counts. Not sure if that includes clogged ventricles.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      12-08-2011 11:43 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post

Anybody else having this problem?
      I'm wondering if I'll even need them this year. We had almost 10 inches of snow on Halloween up here near Boston. My snow tires were in the basement. I was pissed. Then it melted. It's been like 50 degrees ever since.

I didn't put them on last year, but I only drove the car about 3 times a month. This year though, I might not bother putting them on because I just might not need to.

(and with that said, I'm sure we'll get 2 feet of snow this weekend and i'll get stuck )
      Last edited by GTiTOM; 12-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Vehicles
      12-08-2011 11:47 AM #125
      Tom - my MIL has an outback specd like yours. It has the features a lexus wouldn't have had only five years ago -at you're spot-on.

Just can't get over those looks, though.
      King for President.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast