Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ABA Intake Manifold Project

1. 12-11-2011 02:51 PM #1
      Updates

Quote Originally Posted by nubVR

Alright... did about 3 passes on each.... broke the bit on the last one.... ****in arm is bleeding.... you owe me!!!! lol Anyway i figured that was a sign to stop.... i ordered 2 bits when i ordered so were ok still.... i still have another 1/2" to lower the bit, so they should really grow in size when i lower it! ill try and do some more in the morning! Have a good thanksgiving man
      Update.....
      troubles bro.... good thing it happend now.... i lowered the bit a little bit and look what happend!

Gonna do some more welding and build them back up and start over with the router....
      UPDATES

Quote Originally Posted by jettred3
      got new runners on and plenum plate on..... gonna drill and do all the plate welding tomorrow after work

great news, thanks for the update.

Used a 3/8"plate this time, and bigger welds! Gonna try and get it drilled out today

Quote Originally Posted by jettred3
      Sweet!...... Dude, i didnt get **** done today on your manifold..... I can tell you all the reasons in the world, and im not makin stuff up either, i have some bad luck!! Anyway saturday i should make good progress on it..... Also for taking so damn long, and i really hate it. Ill do that vband stuff free of charge.

Thanks Justin.
      Dude!! Check it out!!! Couple little spots I need to fix... The mouths are 3" diameter!
      Updates

2. Member
      Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe 00 Beater Golf
      12-12-2011 02:11 AM #2
      Dude that's pretty baller. I assume by the way you're posting quotes and messages that you have someone building this for you? If you don't mind my asking, what are you paying for a manifold like this? Is it going into a boosted application? Man that just got me excited.
      Disregard my new username and low post count, I've been here for a long time I just can't get onto my old account...

-Adam

3. 12-12-2011 09:09 AM #3
      I'm about 500 dollars into it so far.

The fabricator is NUBWORKS.

4. 03-27-2012 02:22 PM #4

Just a rough sketch, but thats the idea I'm hoping for.

So.... got some pics. IC is big, just like i thought it was gonna be. When i recomended the IC we picked, it was based on the first pics you showed me, from bulldogger.... with the core in front of the runners. So keep that in mind when we figure out what were doing!

First pic, just for size compare and layout, there is about 1/2" i can go down

angled a little... notice where still really high! Measurment is from bottom of the head, it is also sitting flat on the table, not at angle like the block
      I'm hoping we can chop the core down a bit, or I may just get him another core to work w

alright..... Im gonna highly recomend a billet fuel rail, and a FPR that is moved out a bit, or remote mounted check out how the core sits, off set because of the FPR

thats the first problem, shouldnt be a big deal, next decision, do you want the core, close to the plenum, or with a couple inches back? Sorry for crappy pics, tranny and oil are all over my work bench, i didnt wanna get the manifold stuff all dirty!
      core is very nice BTW as it should be for the price!
      Making some nice progress.

bump it up.

did work today.

INDUCTION TEASER 7"Velocity Stack will be mounted in DS Headlight spot.

This will connect to the BBM airbox, pictured earlier in thread.

Mounted in headlight bracket, ready to go.

For Day use and Dyno/ shows only.

ok this last pic is rough shape of plenum, the front of it is 12" from the head..... Im a little worried about overal height and the hood, sinse the hood slopes torward the front...... Half of me wants to make a card board template that we would be able to attatch and let you shut your hood and see if it smashes.... id hate to do all the work and be cuttin stuff apart, this is the problem with doin this type of stuff and not having a car here!

Also, water ports, do you want both on one side? or One on each side? Something is telling me both on the driverside might be best..... but not sure where your htinkin about setting all your stuff up. Let me know... im not doin anything else till we get a plan.

Oh and valve cover.... i dont think we mess with it, i think the way its gonna be shaped it should keep air speed up for the pressure drop its gonna see when it opens up... and the velocity for it hitting those cooling fins? This is all just dumb guy garage theory though
      Making some more progress, any thoughts on the above?....

[QUOTE=jettred3;75484752]
      Quote Originally Posted by USRT
      US Rally Team Hahaha, credit goes to Justin and other USRT gangstas, too. So, when is this beast going to be finished, Dr. Ivey? The flow dynamics of an IC core just before the plenum have got us scratching our heads. None of the conventional formulas we use here "work" with the IC so close. It's fun to be a "n00b" again and watch with no specific expectations.
      5 hours ago · Like/QUOTE]
      Not much to see really...... but here you go.....

Quote Originally Posted by nubVR View Post
      Your new Valve cover
      So just thinkin...... we wanna do the manifold first, and then i can build a bad ass valve cover around it. to make it all fit together, if were gonna be custom, lets be custom! Are you gonna do a catch can? Or just breather in the valve cover?? I wanna make it damn cool lookin if were doing it! I think what i need now, is a measurement based off the head, on where the TB needs to be placed to line up with your turbo, that way its a straight shot, then i can design the back part of the manifold based on that, and we can work forward to the Runners.

5. 05-14-2012 12:52 PM #5
      bump.

Vehicles
      97 Black GLX, RIP 97 White 8vT Jetta Trek
      05-15-2012 03:33 AM #6
      Seen a bunch of this.
      I think it would be a good idea to make a thick sleeve similar to that of what pizza delivery uses to hold heat in the boxes, only reverse as to keep heat out, and cold in.
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      It's Timmy with mmmmMojo, i have returned
      8VALVETURBO - RIP White Jetta

7. 05-15-2012 10:05 AM #7
      Sleave for what?

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 02:56 PM #8
      Ummm, to wrap around the the majority of the core and TB?

9. 05-15-2012 08:26 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by AJmustDIE View Post
      Ummm, to wrap around the the majority of the core and TB?
      No need, this setup will stay cool to the touch...if not there is always snow performance wmi.

I think that would just look silly.

10. 05-16-2012 07:27 AM #10

UPDATES!!!!

11. 05-23-2012 11:42 AM #14

Is this how low its going to sit over the valve cover? Or is it just resting on it for the sake of the picture?

12. 05-23-2012 12:13 PM #15
      We need to wait till the back half gets welded to the core and the vc topped off....only time will tell.

Stay tuned!

13. 05-23-2012 12:14 PM #16
      Pretty sure its just resting on that small plate for mockup purposes.

14. 05-24-2012 11:28 AM #17

Plenum build begins, I may have to source a smaller rad, any suggestions?

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 01:53 PM #18
      Just take an inch out of your runners,

16. 05-24-2012 02:51 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AJmustDIE View Post
      Just take an inch out of your runners,
      Not an option at this point, I tried to go that route awhile back.

I will make everything fit around this design so I can build a proper sized plenum on it.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      81 jetta ABAT holset hy35 01 jetta 1.8t
      05-26-2012 01:55 AM #20
      that is an awesome intake setup

18. 05-29-2012 09:01 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2golf14s View Post
      that is an awesome intake setup
      Thanks for your kind words.

19. 07-16-2012 10:13 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jettred3 View Post
      Caps show up tomorrow, pics will tell the whole story.
      End Caps went right were I wanted them to go, gained .25 liters of plenum volume.

Considering all the research I have done on intake design, I wanted as much volume as I could get with the space given.

That was the goal, gain more volume, there have been some testing done on FSAE engines showing that plenum volume 3 to 5x engine displacement was still making more power as volume increased.

In my case, my engine is just an 8v but the caps gave me more volume, nuff said.

Progress on the intake!!!

I think this is gonna give it the best flow we can possibly get!

Dude, Am I crazy? I really don't thing the front of the core area is short enough to clear your hood! I'm scared.... Anyway here's the plenum shape I'm gonna try and roll...... It's about our only option

It's gonna keep the air speed up, instead of coming out of the awic and falling on its face, like a velocity stack, how the bell sucks the air from around the lip? That radius is gonna pull the air torward the runners, With the flat lip it would have made a lot of turbulence

Back Half welded on, now we just have 1.8t IAT sensor provision, and vacuum ports to add, and if i'm lucky I can have Nub tap the TB flange, and bottom center of plenum for WAI ports.

Make sense?

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      07-18-2012 05:50 PM #23

Holy crap. That looks just like VR6's intake. This is really cool! Good work

21. 07-19-2012 07:59 AM #24
      Thanks hurt means a lot coming from you. Anyone have thoughts on bigger valves as far as pros and cons? Thinking stock may be best to keep port velocity up... This will be run with a pte 5557e

22. 07-19-2012 08:23 AM #25
      stock intake, +1 exhaust.

As good as that looks, I still cant see how its going to clear a non-hacked valve cover. Every picture shows it resting on a shortened cover.

23. 07-19-2012 08:35 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 911_fan View Post
      stock intake, +1 exhaust.

As good as that looks, I still cant see how its going to clear a non-hacked valve cover. Every picture shows it resting on a shortened cover.
      The shortened cover pictured will be welded up, it has been chopped above the cam, and has room for the oil splash tray.

24. 07-19-2012 04:03 PM #27
      Valve Cover in progress....

NubWorks
      Liked · 5 minutes ago via mobile
      On your timeline · Remove

Filler plates and a valve cover.......... Here's the start! — with Joshua Ivey and Brian Bement.
      Unlike · · Share

25. 07-19-2012 07:52 PM #28
      eant you know your stuff..
      Last edited by jettred3; 07-20-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      07-19-2012 08:26 PM #30
      Thanks hurt means a lot coming from you. Anyone have thoughts on bigger valves as far as pros and cons? Thinking stock may be best to keep port velocity up... This will be run with a pte 5557e
      A lot coming from me? Why? I'm just another enthusiast! My name's Colm, feel free to use it.

The TT big valve kit really isn't going to do anything unless you have substantial headwork. I usually go with this combo: stock intake and +0.5 exhaust. Since you're going to be running boost, consider going with 1mm oversized on intake and 1.5mm on exhaust, IF you're going to do some valve job or port the head. If not, just go with a 0.5mm bigger exhaust. Really, there won't be that big of a difference over stock..

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 10:46 PM #32
      Take some time and smooth out those welds!

28. 07-23-2012 12:06 AM #33
      This is a really interesting project. At least when you open your hood you know that it will be unique. Good stuff

29. 07-23-2012 08:48 AM #34
      Ill blend the welds and seams

30. 07-24-2012 12:07 AM #35
      i'll admit, it looked kinda crude at first, but this project.. i will be watching.. and waiting for. great job man. i just finished a holley 2bbl. manifold for my aba/1.8 motor. Keep up the good work, be patient and it will fall into place..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast