Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn, 2005 Mazda 6s, 2000 Jetta GLX VR6
      12-11-2011 07:39 PM #1
      I would like to create a thread where we can post information on identifying the cause and providing a solution to common rattles in the MKVI Jetta. I'll keep the first post up to date as an index to individual posts describing the cause and/or solution to each problem.

1. Fender subwoofer, rear deck
        Cause - Rear plastic deck vibrates
        Solution - Tennis ball under rear deck

2. Windsheild/dash at high speed
        Cause 1 - Loose plastic rain/splashguard
        Solution 1 - Make sure the tabs that hold it down are secure
        Cause 2 - Leaf in rain/splashguard drain rattling in wind
        Solution 2 - Keep rain/splashguard free of leaves/debris

3. Trunk rattle when going over bumps
        Cause - Spare tire not secured
        Solution - Secure spare tire

4. Trunk rattle
        Cause - Rear seat release cable
        Solution - Wrap and secure cable

5. Snapping/cracking from instrument panel
        Cause 1 - Missing screw in dash from factory
        Solution 1 - Dealer installed missing screw
        Cause 2 - Squeaky trim
        Solution 2 - Add styrofoam

6. "Rustling leaves" when accelerating
        Cause - Needs holding rod clip from dealer
        Solution - Have dealer fix
        More Info - Thread detailing this issue

7. Driver or passenger door rattles (multiple)
        Cause 1 - LED security light cylinder plastic housing
        Solution 1 - Foam tape (Full thread)
        No cause 2 found -
        No solution 2 found -
        Seems there is no single cause or solution to these rattles. Suggested dynamat or other soundproofing

8. Snapping/cracking, head unit area
        Cause - HU frame makes contact with HVAC frame
        Solution - Felt pads (Full how-to)
        One owner had his entire HU replaced

9. Creaking Dead Pedal
        Cause - None found
        Solution - None found
      Last edited by JettaVR6mk; 02-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.
      2012 Platinum Grey Jetta GLI Autobahn with Nav
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s
      2000 Atlantic Blue Jetta VR6

Vehicles
      12-11-2011 07:41 PM #2
      Starting this because I dug into a few of these rattles and I'm starting to find the causes. I'm going to attempt to fix as many as i can and want to share this info.

Anyone who wants to add info, please do and I'll keep the thread up to date.

First up, windsheild/dash rattle at high speed.
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s

12-11-2011 08:11 PM #3
      The windshield one was caused by a not-so-secure plastic rain/splashguard underneath the hood along the bottom of the windshield. Make sure the tabs that hold it down are interchanging where they secure to the side of the engine bay. There should be no play of movement when you try to jiggle it around. I'm trying on figure on how (and what) to wedge something along the sides of it to make it more secure. Once I fiddled with this and made it as secure as I could the rattle immediately went away. A few weeks later I heard it start to come back. I immediately readjusted the splashguard and the sound went right away.
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

Vehicles
      12-11-2011 08:19 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Flyin18T View Post
      The windshield one was caused by a not-so-secure plastic rain/splashguard underneath the hood along the bottom of the windshield.
      Thanks. I figured this out today as well. I'm going to take some pictures and figure out how to insulate the plastic part that goes up into the A pillar, as that seems to be the flimsiest part that moves the most.
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s

5. Member
      Vehicles
      mk4 jetta vr6
      12-11-2011 10:41 PM #5
      trunk rattle when going over bumps - fix was that spare tire wasn't tight enough

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      12-12-2011 12:12 AM #6
      anybody getting a snapping/cracking sound coming from the general head unit area ?
      2011 Jetta 2.5 Highline PGM
      - Autotech Engine Mount Insert - Full Interior LED Conversion + DRL

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta
      12-12-2011 12:18 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Timstah View Post
      anybody getting a snapping/cracking sound coming from the general head unit area ?
      Not from the head unit nope.. But I did get rattle from the trunk. Was it the spare tire? Nope. Was it the cable that is connected to the pull switch that releases the rear seats? YEP. Solution: Moved the cables around and tightly secured them with some tape.(Temp fix)

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      12-12-2011 12:32 AM #8
      I had the snapping / cracking noise coming from the instrument panel. The very annoying noise seemed be caused by the instrument panel plexi-glass moving ever-so-slightly. I took my Jetta the dealer to see if they could fix it. Turns out there is a known issue with a missing screw somewhere in the instrument panel / dash. The dealer installed the missing screw and the noise is gone. The repair was free.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MY12 Jetta 147TSI
      12-12-2011 06:42 AM #9
      I have a 147TSI (australian model) and it had the infamous "wastegate rattle" found on the AE888 (2.0l) engine. Dropped it off the dealer and had a clip fitted in. Rattle gone!

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      12-12-2011 07:43 AM #10
      this isn't so much of a rattle, but a huge issue with the headliner meeting C Pillar area at the back of the car.

Any of you like to ride with the windows down?

If so, open the back door and look at either c pillar and the headliner immediately next to it... Is it sagging?

My Jetta 6 is doing this, and I am getting a replacement car of equal value through Mediation/Arbitration. They have done 3 Different Headliners and 5 Different C Pillars, just to find out the C pillar needs more clips ENGINEERED into it, and the Headliner needs to be reworked by the engineers too.... Which will put me at a grand total of about 8 trips once all said and done to get this issue resolved. I've been six times already, and the 7th they said will be for "test fit" and then a final install.

Just beware the headliner and c pillars are not strong enough to hold up over time. I was the only one that called in, but when the VW Rep came out to look at my car, he said that he has seen it on just about every Jetta 6 Model from 2011 and now 2012. But no one has had as much issue with parts not fitting as mine, or they haven't bothered.

Just a heads up.

Steve

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Jetta MKVI, TDI H'line DSG
      12-12-2011 09:28 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven85 View Post
      this isn't so much of a rattle, but a huge issue with the headliner meeting C Pillar area at the back of the car.

If so, open the back door and look at either c pillar and the headliner immediately next to it... Is it sagging?

Just a heads up.

Steve
      Could you post some pics please? Would be nice to have them to compare, most of the roads here are so bad that one tends to ignore most such things especially soft rattles and the like. Thanks.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      12-12-2011 11:35 AM #12
      Cannot post pics, but it is an easy find, open up the rear doors, look at where the c pillar touches the headliner, if everything is up and inside the rubber seal, then you are good, but I'm willing to bet that there is gap, and an ever growing gap at that.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      12-12-2011 11:44 AM #13
      never mind, figured it out...

I have been to the dealer 6 times for this problem, and received TWO NEW Headliners, and 5 NEW C Pillars, and this picture was taken 6 HOURS after I got it back the last time (which it was fine when I got it at the dealer) after the Service REP looked it over.

They are now designing a new headliner and c pillars to solve this issue... problem is, it starts to sag more over time, and it got so bad you could fit your hand through that gap. Causing concern for Air Bag Deployment... basically instead of the airbag coming down, it would go between the headliner and roof, causing the headliner to slam into you.

PS: There is NO FIX until the engineering staff at VW fixes it.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Jetta MKVI, TDI H'line DSG
      12-12-2011 12:36 PM #14
      Thanks for the pic, appreciate it. Will check my car out tomorrow morning.

15. 12-12-2011 12:37 PM #15
      Yes, especially when the car is cold. There is a creaking, annoying buzzing type sound from behind the screen...Ive tried to apply pressure in every area of the head unit, no help, except for pushing the aux jack. This noise is just loud enough to bother the sh!t out of us with music on.

The doors are so pathetically built as well, VW should be ashamed. We buy german cars for the solid thud, the doors on the jetta are as solid as a Yugo
      Last edited by wazubian; 12-12-2011 at 12:40 PM.

16. 12-12-2011 12:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_mac View Post
      I had the snapping / cracking noise coming from the instrument panel. The very annoying noise seemed be caused by the instrument panel plexi-glass moving ever-so-slightly. I took my Jetta the dealer to see if they could fix it. Turns out there is a known issue with a missing screw somewhere in the instrument panel / dash. The dealer installed the missing screw and the noise is gone. The repair was free.
      thanks, I hope this is the same problem on ours. shameful build VW!

Vehicles
      12-12-2011 08:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaVR6mk View Post
      Thanks. I figured this out today as well. I'm going to take some pictures and figure out how to insulate the plastic part that goes up into the A pillar, as that seems to be the flimsiest part that moves the most.
      Turns out this was just an actual leaf stuck in the drain hole of the plastic trim.

But I'm convinced that this part is prone to rattles and something can be done to tighten it up.

Once I get a free weekend, I'm going to take the door card off and have a look around in there for anything that can be rattle proofed.

Also on the hunt for a rattle near the light switch.
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru Impreza Sport + 1990 VW Corrado track toy
      12-12-2011 11:30 PM #18
      I'm starting to get a buzzing or rattle or....i dont know what, honestly from the instrument cluster. i have a 1.5-2 hour commute and it doesnt start until the end... it almost sounds like an electrical buzzing..like a loose connection..or a spring? only happens on bumps...anyone else with something similar?

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      12-12-2011 11:51 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by marked001 View Post
      I'm starting to get a buzzing or rattle or....i dont know what, honestly from the instrument cluster. i have a 1.5-2 hour commute and it doesnt start until the end... it almost sounds like an electrical buzzing..like a loose connection..or a spring? only happens on bumps...anyone else with something similar?
      I believe this is caused by the instrument panel plexi-glass moving ever-so-slightly. Turns out there is a known issue with a missing screw somewhere in the instrument panel / dash. The dealer installed the missing screw and the noise is gone. The repair was free.

20. 12-13-2011 09:17 AM #20
      I had that sound coming from the head unit area and it drove me insane. First 2 trips they added filler around the area and it didn't help at all. The 3rd trip they replaced the headunit. I haven't heard any noise since.

Vehicles
      12-13-2011 12:05 PM #21
      Updated thread index with links and info to all replies. TTT
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s

22. Member
      12-13-2011 04:16 PM #22
      This stupid little buzz/rattle like sticky tape coming undone and done back up was absolutely driving me bananas!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...side-door-area

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Golf 4dr 6MT ; 90 240sx SR20DET
      12-13-2011 05:33 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven85 View Post
      never mind, figured it out...

I have been to the dealer 6 times for this problem, and received TWO NEW Headliners, and 5 NEW C Pillars, and this picture was taken 6 HOURS after I got it back the last time (which it was fine when I got it at the dealer) after the Service REP looked it over.

They are now designing a new headliner and c pillars to solve this issue... problem is, it starts to sag more over time, and it got so bad you could fit your hand through that gap. Causing concern for Air Bag Deployment... basically instead of the airbag coming down, it would go between the headliner and roof, causing the headliner to slam into you.

PS: There is NO FIX until the engineering staff at VW fixes it.
      I have a rattle coming from my headliner. The corners of the headliner meet the C-pillars fine, unlike the above quoted post, however the rear back of the headliner seems to be sagging a little, and isn't attached to the roof. I can slide my hand between the headliner and the top of the roof. If I tap on the headliner, it rattles a little, which I have been noticing when going over bumps. If I press the back of the headliner up against the roof, and tap the headliner, it doesn't rattle.

I am kicking myself because there is a recall for rear headliner clips, and I declined when it was at the dealer for the fuel line recall, because I didn't think it was an issue, and I didn't want them messing with my headliner, for fear they would make it worse...

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      12-13-2011 10:50 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
      I have a rattle coming from my headliner. The corners of the headliner meet the C-pillars fine, unlike the above quoted post, however the rear back of the headliner seems to be sagging a little, and isn't attached to the roof. I can slide my hand between the headliner and the top of the roof. If I tap on the headliner, it rattles a little, which I have been noticing when going over bumps. If I press the back of the headliner up against the roof, and tap the headliner, it doesn't rattle.

I am kicking myself because there is a recall for rear headliner clips, and I declined when it was at the dealer for the fuel line recall, because I didn't think it was an issue, and I didn't want them messing with my headliner, for fear they would make it worse...
      there is no recall for for rear headliner clips... there is a tech bulletin out to assess the headliner. There is NO Fix of headliner sag or rattle as of right now (VW Service Rep from Engineering up in MI said this himself). He also told me that once the new c pillars are re engineered, they have to test fit them, and then make a mold to make the new ones. there is nothing to hold the rear of the headliner up except the c pillars themselves. I don't know where you got the info about headliner clips since these cars do not have the push clips or tabs that go through the headliner like other makes.

if you are at all curious, pull your c pillars off (just snap in place) and you will see why the headliner is not fully up against the roof line. there is a six in spread of c pillar with no clips or support. and the c pillar itself has a 1/8" tab that clips over the headliner (which does nothing but rip that tiny corner out) Just wait and your headliner will start falling like mine, my headliner started out like yours, small sag in rear, rattle, then pop, and it fell, and will no longer be held up.

Trust me, 3 headliners and 5 c pillars later, and I'm getting a new car via lemon law notice.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta SEL
      12-14-2011 01:10 PM #25
      Hey guys, 2011 Jetta Sel with just over 5k miles. Been to the dealer once so far to have a rattle in sunroof/sunglass holder fixed, rattle behind the dash or navi unit, and a click from the headliner only when the sunroof was completely open. They did fix the rattle above the sunglass holder. They did fix the click noise when the sunroof was completely open, but now when opening the sunroof there is a loud squeek, so I'll have to take it back in to have that fixed. The rattle behind the dash/navi was not fixed as they said it was a normal sound, but when they put the navi back it's now a little crooked, like it doesn't sit flush as it did before. So I'll be taking it back in for that to be readjusted also. What should I tell them to look for as to the rattle/cracking sound I hear from behind the navi? Should I ask them to cover it with felt? And I am now hearing some rattles from both driver and passenger doors, what should I have them look for? I would like to tell them to take everything apart and line it all with the felt tape, would that be a ridiculous request? Thanks in advance guys.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      12-14-2011 01:26 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by JBryan84 View Post
      Hey guys, 2011 Jetta Sel with just over 5k miles. Been to the dealer once so far to have a rattle in sunroof/sunglass holder fixed, rattle behind the dash or navi unit, and a click from the headliner only when the sunroof was completely open. They did fix the rattle above the sunglass holder. They did fix the click noise when the sunroof was completely open, but now when opening the sunroof there is a loud squeek, so I'll have to take it back in to have that fixed. The rattle behind the dash/navi was not fixed as they said it was a normal sound, but when they put the navi back it's now a little crooked, like it doesn't sit flush as it did before. So I'll be taking it back in for that to be readjusted also. What should I tell them to look for as to the rattle/cracking sound I hear from behind the navi? Should I ask them to cover it with felt? And I am now hearing some rattles from both driver and passenger doors, what should I have them look for? I would like to tell them to take everything apart and line it all with the felt tape, would that be a ridiculous request? Thanks in advance guys.
      it is, but isn't a ridiculous request. We all did buy the new MK6 Jetta with nothing but plastic parts on the inside.

That is why, when they asked me what I wanted to do about the Jetta under Lemon Law, I told them I want a Golf 4dr. As soon as one is located, I will be in a car with the soft touch panels for dash, and doors, and center console. Not going to get much rattles from something that is so tight fitting.

27. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta SEL
      12-23-2011 11:40 PM #27
      I have a very annoying rattle coming from my navigation unit in a 2011 Jetta Sel. I only hear the rattle when going over cracks in the road, not necesserally from speed bumps. When I press firm on the top left of the toucscreen unit/plastic that surrounds navi the rattle stops. I have tried using electrical tape to fill the gaps around the touchscreen and around the frame surrounding the touchscreen to no avail. I have been to the dealer twice now to fix various rattles and this seems to be the only one they can't fix. Also I never pin pointed where the rattle was coming from until after my last visit to the dealership. Should I go back in and show them the exact location of the rattle and that by pushing on the dash/touchscreen unit it stops the rattle? Should I possibly try going to a different dealership? Or do you have any DIY ideas for me? I cannot take apart my dash as I'm not that handy. Thanks for any tips and or advice.

12-24-2011 12:21 AM #28
      Great resource. Sticky.
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

29. Junior Member mikeang39@yahoo.ca's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta TDI
      12-24-2011 03:26 PM #29
      I just wanted to share my experience with my 2012 jetta tdi, I brought it to the dealer and they said that there was no noise so I went over and found out that they washed my car. I think this is their strategy to make all noise go away. So I figured it out myself.
      The rattle on dash was caused buy the horn touching the body. The wind noise is cause by the black plastic at the bottom of the windshield. The right side has a gap while the left side is perfect. So simple remedy- silicone. My car is now noise and rattle free.

Don't rely on the dealers. Sometimes, you have to get your hands dirty.

Merry Christmas!

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      12-25-2011 06:11 AM #30
      i have a metallic ringing noise but i have the 2.5 engine (no turbo)
      is apparent after 2000 rpm

any thoughts on that metallic ringing ?

also got
      - everytime windshield wipers are activated, there is a click coming from the instrument panel
      - slight buzzing noise when recirculation is activated
      - headunit snapping/cracking
      Last edited by Timstah; 12-25-2011 at 05:24 PM.
      2011 Jetta 2.5 Highline PGM
      - Autotech Engine Mount Insert - Full Interior LED Conversion + DRL

31. Junior Member mikeang39@yahoo.ca's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta TDI
      12-25-2011 02:51 PM #31
      i have a metallic ringing noise but i have the 2.5 engine (no turbo)
      is apparent after 2000 rpm

any thoughts on that metallic ringing ?
      That could be the horn hitting the body.

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta TDI
      12-27-2011 11:21 PM #32
      I think I solved the Head unit/dash rattle by putting a layer of foam and felt pads between the radio and the hvac controls. I'm thinking the radio cage did not completely support the head unit and there was contact between the two. It's been a few days and the rattle is gone

Vehicles
      12-28-2011 11:31 PM #33
      Thread index updated
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s

34. 12-31-2011 02:48 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by blucherb5 View Post
      I think I solved the Head unit/dash rattle by putting a layer of foam and felt pads between the radio and the hvac controls. I'm thinking the radio cage did not completely support the head unit and there was contact between the two. It's been a few days and the rattle is gone
      how did you remove the headunit? dealer tech mentioned to just remove the trim and there are 4 torx screws...is this correct? any tricks to getting the trim off properly so it snaps back on perfectly?

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta TDI
      01-01-2012 10:20 AM #35
      The trim around the head unit and heater controls is just held in with clips, start at the bottom and give it a pull. Once you get a corner unclipped I would use a trim tool to pry off a section at a time. There are metal clips that hold it in place, they are durable but can break if you yank too hard. Once the trim is off there are 4 T20 torx screws holding the head unit in. Once you remove it nyou can just unclip the radio harness and antennas so that it will come out. I put a layer of foam under the radio and felt pads on the HVAC control. I also put some felt tape on the contact parts of the trim just to make sure. Be carful not to put too much padding in or the trim will not line up properly. good luck

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast