Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      01-01-2012 12:12 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by blucherb5 View Post
      The trim around the head unit and heater controls is just held in with clips, start at the bottom and give it a pull. Once you get a corner unclipped I would use a trim tool to pry off a section at a time. There are metal clips that hold it in place, they are durable but can break if you yank too hard. Once the trim is off there are 4 T20 torx screws holding the head unit in. Once you remove it nyou can just unclip the radio harness and antennas so that it will come out. I put a layer of foam under the radio and felt pads on the HVAC control. I also put some felt tape on the contact parts of the trim just to make sure. Be carful not to put too much padding in or the trim will not line up properly. good luck
      What kind of felt pads and foam tape did you use? I see some online but the reviews are so varying its crazy.. will the adhesive need to be real sticky and stay that way or once its in, it wont matter because of the pressure? That seems to be the major complaint with some of the ones I am seeing. Links to the specific ones you used would be awesome The size also would be appreciated. Thickness etc.

2. 01-02-2012 10:57 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by blucherb5 View Post
      The trim around the head unit and heater controls is just held in with clips, start at the bottom and give it a pull. Once you get a corner unclipped I would use a trim tool to pry off a section at a time. There are metal clips that hold it in place, they are durable but can break if you yank too hard. Once the trim is off there are 4 T20 torx screws holding the head unit in. Once you remove it nyou can just unclip the radio harness and antennas so that it will come out. I put a layer of foam under the radio and felt pads on the HVAC control. I also put some felt tape on the contact parts of the trim just to make sure. Be carful not to put too much padding in or the trim will not line up properly. good luck
      Thanks a bunch for the exact info I needed. Does disconnecting the stereo quire a recoding or any error erasing?

Im sick or the dealer not having a clue to fix this. FYI for all that are getting the Fender sub recall...it doenst really help, and requires quite a bit of work on the dealers part...be sure you want to risk the dealer taking the rear apart to do the so called "fixes"

3. 01-03-2012 07:18 PM #38
      I am a first time user to this site and was looking for assistance. I have a 2011 Jetta TDI with a 6 speed automatic DSG transmission. I have own the car for about a year now and just recently have noticed a noise coming from the front engine area, mostly on the centre to the passanger side. It sounds like someone is sawing with a hand held saw or a metal tube gliding against metal...almost like when you are using a super soaker...if that makes any sense?? It happeneds as soon as he car is turned on. I have been to the dealer couple times now for the same issue and they said they didnt hear anything. it wasnt until i got the tech to come to my car when i was leaving and listen for the sound.....he finally heard it and took it to the mechanic to have a listen.....i was told to come back so they can take a better look because when they 'originally' connected the car to get a diagnoses nothing was coming up. however they did mention that they had a 2012 Passat with the same noise. Can anyone help me or direct to to what the issue might be?? before I go back to the dealer to have them tell me its nothing....its getting very frustrating.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat 2.0t, Past: '12 Jetta 2.5 SE, '96 Volvo 855 Turbo, '97 Volvo 855 GLT...
      01-04-2012 08:50 PM #39
      Does anyone have an annoying plastic on plastic squeak coming from the bottom of the instrument cluster?? This has been in my car since day 1 basically. The salesman had the radio so loud and wouldn't shut up so I missed it. If I press the section directly above the wheel it squeaks and EVERY TIME drive its constantly chirping at me. I asked to have it looked at and they said all cars have some rattles and squeaks and I shouldn't be so picky! I demanded they look at it at my month out check up. Any ideas? I want to get this done right the first time.
      Side note: I also went to pick the car up at night and they managed to miss place the tow hook cover. Its black so I couldn't see it missing at the time, so I asked for one to be sent in and it took one month to get done and they made me install it. On top of all that, the cover doesn't match the paint correctly. I've had the car a month and I want to drive it through the showroom.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      01-05-2012 06:07 AM #40
      The rattle is the one with the missing screw that the dealer has to install I believe. See the first post in this thread for all the rattles and their solutions (so far) Mine will get the missing screw installed at the courtesy check when it comes time to do so. It rattles/squeaks everytime unless I put pressure on the trim piece around the steering wheel. Your dealer sounds like a shady one. VW has a survey for your vehicle they email you and in it, just list all the rattles and your dealers crappy nature and rant away about wanting to drive through the showroom floor because of it and they will probably call you and tell you they will have techs come in from VW and meet you at the dealership to check your car. They did that for my brother and he got some of the rattles fixed and a 100 dollar check in the mail a month or so later
      Last edited by azthegame; 01-05-2012 at 06:12 AM.

6. n00b
      01-06-2012 03:02 PM #41
      70E6 Bulletin is for the Headliner Clip Replacement
      91l5 Bulletin is for the Fender Subwoofer Rattle
      68D4 Bulletin is for the Missing Bolt in the Dash

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Golf 4dr 6MT ; 90 240sx SR20DET
      01-12-2012 03:18 PM #42
      I got the headliner clip recall done, and now the middle of the headliner rattles....

Every interior piece of my car seems to rattle, it seems worse when cold. Cluster, Head Unit/HVAC, Driver and pass door panels, headliner, center console...

This car has more rattles then my 1990 Nissan 240sx!

This thread shold be sticky'd BTW

01-12-2012 03:39 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
      This thread shold be sticky'd BTW
      It is.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

9. 01-14-2012 08:47 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeang39@yahoo.ca View Post
      I just wanted to share my experience with my 2012 jetta tdi, I brought it to the dealer and they said that there was no noise so I went over and found out that they washed my car. I think this is their strategy to make all noise go away. So I figured it out myself.
      The rattle on dash was caused buy the horn touching the body. The wind noise is cause by the black plastic at the bottom of the windshield. The right side has a gap while the left side is perfect. So simple remedy- silicone. My car is now noise and rattle free.

Don't rely on the dealers. Sometimes, you have to get your hands dirty.

Merry Christmas!
      Damn straight! Why should the tech spend hours and find rattles when he really won't get paid for it? Doesn't matter how good the warranty person is, Volkswagen just doesn't care about the worker bees in dealers and thinks they should do more work for less or no pay.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      01-15-2012 03:05 PM #45
      Has the TSI waste gate rattle fixed by my dealer. Nothing but sweet sensual whistle now. I have a rumble rattle in my bass when I'm cranking my stereo with a heavy bass band such as Tool. Otherwise nothing I'm in any hurry to ghetto rig a fix for.
      2012 Tornado Red GLI Autobahn

What is a man but the sum of his memories?

11. 01-16-2012 12:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Flyin18T View Post
      The windshield one was caused by a not-so-secure plastic rain/splashguard underneath the hood along the bottom of the windshield. Make sure the tabs that hold it down are interchanging where they secure to the side of the engine bay. There should be no play of movement when you try to jiggle it around. I'm trying on figure on how (and what) to wedge something along the sides of it to make it more secure. Once I fiddled with this and made it as secure as I could the rattle immediately went away. A few weeks later I heard it start to come back. I immediately readjusted the splashguard and the sound went right away.
      Just wondering if you ever settled on a lasting fix for this. I have a rattle near the front windshield (i think) at low rpm (< 1500) when I'm just getting the car going or when I shift into 2nd gear at 10mph or so. I checked the rain/splashguard and it's pretty loose (lots of play). The tabs are aligned properly on the sides but they are not snug at all.

01-16-2012 01:28 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by iampkim View Post
      Just wondering if you ever settled on a lasting fix for this. I have a rattle near the front windshield (i think) at low rpm (< 1500) when I'm just getting the car going or when I shift into 2nd gear at 10mph or so. I checked the rain/splashguard and it's pretty loose (lots of play). The tabs are aligned properly on the sides but they are not snug at all.
      Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to it yet. Luckily, although it is still a little loose it hasn't been making the rattle like it used too. When I get around to it I may try wedging some thin foam under where the clips attach to the side of the engine bay.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using Tapatalk
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      01-18-2012 03:48 PM #48
      Hello all, since the weather here in Michigan has dropped to 20 degrees, I now get a loud cracking/creaking in the dash, while driving over rough pavement. It seems to be coming toward the upper portion of the dash near the windshield. I pressed on the upper area of the dash but no cracking noise could be made. I did this when the car was making the noise while driving. I saw the thread about the noise caused by the rain splashguard along the bottom of the windshield. I checked it out and seems pretty secure, but then it's probably frozen. I do realize plastic makes noise in the cold, expecially during this time of the year in MI. Last week when driving over the icy roads, the dash creaked/cracked all the way to work, which drove me nuts. I would appreciate any feedback.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/Volkswagen/Jetta GLI
      01-18-2012 04:44 PM #49
      hey my name is wade. i am in new jersey. i bought a 2012 gli autobohn edition in september and didn't realize this major problem until recently in december when the cold weather hit. there was water building up in the trunk under the matt and on the spare tire and the surrounding housing. i brought it into dealer and there was a missing vent or something that wasn't installed. on the paperwork there was a couple parts i noticed that said recall next to it on my bill sheet. now its mid january and i am having a problem with my weather stripping or something. for two days after it rains and i roll down my back driver window than roll it back up there is water coming up on the window. i am pretty unsatified with this car. i hope the dealer works something out for me besides just fixing it. gime a week or two and i will post my bill sheet so anyone can see what part it was and look at your gli. remember i didn't see the problem until the cold weather hit so if you live in warm weather area and u drive gli watch out.

15. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Autobahn 6M in PGM
      01-18-2012 06:30 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by 43jetta View Post
      Hello all, since the weather here in Michigan has dropped to 20 degrees, I now get a loud cracking/creaking in the dash, while driving over rough pavement. It seems to be coming toward the upper portion of the dash near the windshield. I pressed on the upper area of the dash but no cracking noise could be made. I did this when the car was making the noise while driving. I saw the thread about the noise caused by the rain splashguard along the bottom of the windshield. I checked it out and seems pretty secure, but then it's probably frozen. I do realize plastic makes noise in the cold, expecially during this time of the year in MI. Last week when driving over the icy roads, the dash creaked/cracked all the way to work, which drove me nuts. I would appreciate any feedback.
      Ohio here same thing.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MKVI GLI
      01-18-2012 06:55 PM #51
      Same thing is happening to me. Dealer could not duplicate so no fix for now. I can't figure out exactly where it is coming from either.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      01-19-2012 10:53 PM #52
      Thanks for the feedback. If I discover what's causing the noise in the upper dash area near the window, I will post it.

18. Member
      01-20-2012 04:37 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by JBryan84 View Post
      Hey guys, 2011 Jetta Sel with just over 5k miles. Been to the dealer once so far to have a rattle in sunroof/sunglass holder fixed,
      I had a rattle from the sunglass holder also...turned out it was my sunglasses

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      01-27-2012 08:53 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by simonrjones View Post
      I had a rattle from the sunglass holder also...turned out it was my sunglasses
      Ha - same thing happened to me. Now I just put my sunglasses in some cloth before putting in holder and it's fine.

Mark me down for the cracking rattle in cold weather. Had my GLI for about 1 week now and this was the first majorly annoying rattle.

There's a minorly annoying rattle coming from the passenger side door when certain bass frequencies are hit. Not sure what's going on with that - wondering if dynamat or something similar might help? Or is that something that I should have the dealer look at?

20. 01-27-2012 11:25 AM #55
      yup the design of the holder is cheap. simple as that, they could have completely lined it with felt or a rubberized surface that so many other manufactures get right. makes the holder worthless to me as the rattling drives me nuts...but theres so many other competing rattles, its hopeless. I hope VW still reads these forums.

21. 01-27-2012 12:41 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Flyin18T View Post
      Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to it yet. Luckily, although it is still a little loose it hasn't been making the rattle like it used too. When I get around to it I may try wedging some thin foam under where the clips attach to the side of the engine bay.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using Tapatalk
      I took my gli in for the 90day inspection today. It turns out that my rattle was caused by a loose or improperly installed heat-shield. It's funny how the loose plastic I did point out had nothing to do with it.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      01-27-2012 11:44 PM #57
      I took my gli in for the 90day inspection today. It turns out that my rattle was caused by a loose or improperly installed heat-shield. It's funny how the loose plastic I did point out had nothing to do with it.
      By chance did the service tech show or tell you where this loose/improperly installed heat-shield was located on the vehicle? I would like to have the dealer check my car out to see if it has the same problem.

Vehicles
      {2014 Beetle}{2011 Jetta TDI}{2006 Jetta 2.5}{2001 Jetta GLS}{69 Beetle}{1980 924}
      01-28-2012 11:41 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
      Can someone on here check my VIN to see if any of these come up? PM me if you can?
      Thanks

24. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-03-2012 12:55 PM #59
      This is an annoying one, it sounds like it's coming from the dash instrument cluster, but it's from the center console (as you can put your hand below right of the shifter and the noise goes away). Dealer fixed it once, but a week later it's back. Goes back in Monday. I'll keep you posted.
      Car just hit 1,000miles, and this is the 3rd time it's going in for rattles (Front Pass Door, Cluster, Rear Deck).

25. 02-03-2012 01:06 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 43jetta View Post
      By chance did the service tech show or tell you where this loose/improperly installed heat-shield was located on the vehicle? I would like to have the dealer check my car out to see if it has the same problem.
      The description on the work invoice just says "FOUND HEATSHIELD OUT OF POSITION ... REPOSITIONED HEATSHIELD ROAD TESTED OK". It completely fixed the problem so I never asked to see where.

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      02-06-2012 08:07 AM #61
      The description on the work invoice just says "FOUND HEATSHIELD OUT OF POSITION ... REPOSITIONED HEATSHIELD ROAD TESTED OK". It completely fixed the problem so I never asked to see where.
      Thanks for the feed back, I appreciate it!

27. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-09-2012 11:56 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
      This is an annoying one, it sounds like it's coming from the dash instrument cluster, but it's from the center console (as you can put your hand below right of the shifter and the noise goes away). Dealer fixed it once, but a week later it's back. Goes back in Monday. I'll keep you posted.
      Car just hit 1,000miles, and this is the 3rd time it's going in for rattles (Front Pass Door, Cluster, Rear Deck).
      Update they put more foam... and still there... but I've been doing experments with it and figured out why it comes and goes. I found a piece of road that sets it off constantly, and I can go from Drive to "Manual" and it rattles in drive, then stops in Manual, and starts in drive.

I'm thinking it's the DSG shifter needs lube, or the linkage (it uses a linkage for the park function) needs adjustment. Car goes back on tuesday... I'll update.

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI (Sold), 2006 Elantra GT
      02-10-2012 07:20 AM #63
      When I put my foot on the dead pedal it makes a creaky squeaking sound. Any clue how to remedy this?

Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta 2.5 SE
      02-10-2012 09:48 PM #64
      I'm going on month 2 with my '12 SE and I have no rattles at all. The only annoying issue is that the passenger speaker starts to crack at a relatively low bass volume. I wonder if its the speaker or something in the door. Anyone else experience that? I don't want to install my subs and have the whole car start rattling if I can get decent sound (with no cracks) from the factory radio...

30. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-12-2012 09:21 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by philly82 View Post
      I'm going on month 2 with my '12 SE and I have no rattles at all. The only annoying issue is that the passenger speaker starts to crack at a relatively low bass volume. I wonder if its the speaker or something in the door. Anyone else experience that? I don't want to install my subs and have the whole car start rattling if I can get decent sound (with no cracks) from the factory radio...
      I had this issue, there was an electrical connector in the door (near the handle area) that was "buzzing" against the inside of the door handle and the door frame metal. Foam tape around the connector by the dealer fixed this.

I was able to find it as I popped the "reflector" bottom out (it just snaps out), and shine a flashlight while playing music... I took a picture of it and handed it to the dealer...

Vehicles
      2012/VW/Jetta 2.5 SE
      02-12-2012 11:26 PM #66
      Thanks. I'll check it out before my 90 day inspection.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Claus the Wundercar -2012 GLI Autobahn w/Nav Platinum Gray 6-Speed Manual
      02-14-2012 11:35 AM #67
      Why isnt this on the first page with the other sticky anymore? Anyway I'm going in for my 90 day soon and my rattles are only getting worse I need somewhere to direct the techs otherwise they're going to say they can't find anything again . It seems that my drivers side door is rattling and I cant find it. Seems to be coming from the storage area close to the speaker. When I take everything out and start pushing on it it doesn't help I'm thinking it could be behind the panel. Any ideas?

I'm going to check behind the reflector today but it makes the noise even when the radio is down.
      Last edited by Das Claus; 02-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      02-14-2012 11:46 AM #68
      [QUOTE=Das Claus;75905877]Why isnt this on the first page with the other sticky anymore? QUOTE]

This is in the sticky thread
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

Vehicles
      2008 Power Stroke twin turbo diesel, 2011 Jetta TDI, 2012 Golf 2.5
      02-14-2012 12:27 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
      I have a 2011 TDI with a terrible rear deck rattle. My service manager mentioned this bulletin but also mentioned the bulletin was specific to GLI because of the subwoofer. My TDI doesn't have a sub back there. anyrate, he's fixing it at my 20,000 mile service next week!

35. 02-15-2012 12:00 AM #70
      I have to say I do love the car, but for $29k you'd think the car would be slightly better put together. I had a 2009 TSX previous to the GLI and it was the quietest car I've ever been in...I only just am realizing how well put together it was. I had the instrument cluster rattle fixed, only now to have the passenger door speaker start to rattle at certain frequencies. Now there's another rattle coming from the instrument cluster area, but its definitely not the same as the original as no amount of pushing/holding/touching makes it go away. I can't even get it to buzz all the time. Can't use the sunglass holder as that buzzes when you put your glasses in. Really annoying

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast