Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 348

    Thread: Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

    1. Semi-n00b Das Claus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2011
      Location
      Dallas TX
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      Claus the Wundercar -2012 GLI Autobahn w/Nav Platinum Gray 6-Speed Manual
      02-15-2012 12:11 AM #71
      I KNOW!!! I hate rattling. I have to turn the stereo up real loud just to keep from going insane. . But besides that I totally love the car.

    2. 02-15-2012 12:17 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by fiveflat View Post
      I have a 2011 TDI with a terrible rear deck rattle. My service manager mentioned this bulletin but also mentioned the bulletin was specific to GLI because of the subwoofer. My TDI doesn't have a sub back there. anyrate, he's fixing it at my 20,000 mile service next week!
      be careful doing the so called fender recall...the dealer made my bass rattling worse. I can barely listen to this so called "premium" stereo above volume #9 without setting off the rattles. The fender subwoofer is an embarrassing engineering disaster. I will try the tennis ball fix to see if it does better than the dealers hack job.

    3. Member fiveflat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2010
      Location
      Sacramento area
      Posts
      295
      Vehicles
      2008 Power Stroke twin turbo diesel, 2011 Jetta TDI, 2012 Golf 2.5
      02-15-2012 12:27 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by wazubian View Post
      be careful doing the so called fender recall...the dealer made my bass rattling worse. I can barely listen to this so called "premium" stereo above volume #9 without setting off the rattles. The fender subwoofer is an embarrassing engineering disaster. I will try the tennis ball fix to see if it does better than the dealers hack job.
      That interesting. My rattle has nothing to do with bass though. It's just that oil burning diesel rattling around that make it noisey. Stereo is off and I start the car in the morning - it's rattling. The only thing that stops the rattling on the TDI is a blip of the throttle. But once it's back to idle, it's rattling again.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-15-2012 06:54 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeang39@yahoo.ca View Post
      That could be the horn hitting the body.
      Is it like a whistle?

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-15-2012 06:57 AM #75
      Anyone have a problem with their drivers seat? Mine squeaks when I go around corners it seems like it's coming from the seat back, like a spring or something. I told the dealer, they acknowledged it and so they greased the seat rails! Thanks a lot

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2006
      Posts
      169
      Vehicles
      12' Tiguan & 13' CC Sport +
      02-15-2012 10:19 AM #76
      While replacing the cabin filter the other day I found a new source of rattleling in my Jetta. It was coming from the bottom A/C vents that are below the glovebox.

      First remove the foam cover underneath as if you were going to replace your cabin filter. Then simply check to see if the bottom A/C vents move around a lot. Mine did, so I zip-tied them to a solid point (you might have to get creative in figuring out a way to keep them from moving.)

      This method worked well for me and I noticed that an annoying rattle I heard coming from my passenger side went away. I hope this helps.

    7. Member VW Acolyte's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2004
      Location
      WPB, Fl
      Posts
      7,370
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL Sport
      02-15-2012 10:47 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Anyone have a problem with their drivers seat? Mine squeaks when I go around corners it seems like it's coming from the seat back, like a spring or something. I told the dealer, they acknowledged it and so they greased the seat rails! Thanks a lot
      Yeah, mine did on a road trip back in Oct. Don't really here it now though.

      Anybody have doors not wanting to open yet? Seems as though VW put the old door lock actuators in this model and brought back the "doors acting like they are locked even though they are unlocked" problem.
      "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!"

    8. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      02-15-2012 05:14 PM #78
      spent the day waxing the car...then I finally found the damn rattle that's been driving me nuts!!

      Fuse box was missing a damn screw on the right side!





      ALL BETTER!!

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      D F Dub
      Posts
      266
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-15-2012 05:31 PM #79
      Where's this fuse box located?
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

    10. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      02-15-2012 05:43 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
      Where's this fuse box located?
      under the dash/steering wheel.

    11. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2003
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      88
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-16-2012 10:20 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
      Update they put more foam... and still there... but I've been doing experiments with it and figured out why it comes and goes. I found a piece of road that sets it off constantly, and I can go from Drive to "Manual" and it rattles in drive, then stops in Manual, and starts in drive.

      I'm thinking it's the DSG shifter needs lube, or the linkage (it uses a linkage for the park function) needs adjustment. Car goes back on tuesday... I'll update.
      Update:

      I drove around with a stethoscope, and traced the rattle the the lower corner of the shifter boot. Pulled the boot, still there. started poking around with the stethoscope and found a metallic sound coming from the clamp (it's a upside-down "u" piece of metal that bolts in the center of the console).

      Took it back to the dealer with a printout from ETKA, and arrows showing where I found data.

      Took them 3 days.

      They pulled the center console and "Found witness marks where clamp was hitting underside of console. Placed Felt tape and Foam tape on clamp and console. found noise in shifter, lubricated with lithium grease, and then they put it together to find a noise in the parking brake, and pulled it apart and lubed that. They also put felt tape and foam tape around all contact points of the console.

      So far I've driven it 10 miles, and several bad roads that set it off before, and so far it looks like that was it.

      So if you have a rattle in the console, listen to it with a stethoscope ($4 at Harbor Freight, or $10 at Sears for a Lisle), and if it's got a metallic "ting" to it's note, it's probably that clamp.

      Been a PITA to figure out, as you see, they pulled the whole center out twice even after we figured it out... kudos to my dealer though, they never pulled the "can't reproduce" or anything and kept working with me.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      D F Dub
      Posts
      266
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      02-16-2012 11:04 PM #82
      The first post should be updated:

      The interior front door rattles on my car are from the hard plastic map pockets (door bins?) vibrating from the sound coming out of the door speakers. It completely stops when I place my hand on the outside edge of the bin. Not sure how to rectify this....
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

    13. Member JettaVR6mk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2000
      Location
      Outside Philly
      Posts
      555
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn, 2005 Mazda 6s, 2000 Jetta GLX VR6
      02-16-2012 11:07 PM #83
      I'll get the index updated tomorrow. Keep the info coming
      2012 Platinum Grey Jetta GLI Autobahn with Nav
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s
      2000 Atlantic Blue Jetta VR6

    14. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2003
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      88
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-19-2012 01:57 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
      The first post should be updated:

      The interior front door rattles on my car are from the hard plastic map pockets (door bins?) vibrating from the sound coming out of the door speakers. It completely stops when I place my hand on the outside edge of the bin. Not sure how to rectify this....

      Take it to the dealer, they basically put round foam "washers" around each of the mounting points of the door panel, and the rattle will go away. I also had an electrical connector that was hitting the handle which sounded like it was coming from the map area, the dealer wrapped the connector in foam tape and no more rattle from that door.

    15. Junior Member pitmang1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2011
      Location
      Mission Viejo, CA
      Posts
      56
      Vehicles
      {2014 Beetle}{2011 Jetta TDI}{2006 Jetta 2.5}{2001 Jetta GLS}{69 Beetle}{1980 924}
      02-19-2012 05:15 PM #85
      I had my TDi in for it's 20k mile the other day and asked the dealer to fix a rattle coming from the passenger side rear seat/c-pillar area. Of course they couldn't reproduce it. It rattled at me as I drove away, then my driver's door and front passenger door rattles chimed in. I drove to Michael's (arts and crafts store) and bought a couple sheets of adhesive backed felt. pulled all of my trim panels and loaded up the backs of them with felt. Snapped them back on and drove around with heavy bass on rough roads.

      Rattles are gone.

      Tap on the ends of the trim panels and see what they sound like. Before felt: snappy crack sound | After felt: dull thud.

    16. Member ChefBlake's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2011
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI 6-MT , 2000 Passat V6 4Motion
      02-21-2012 11:44 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Anyone have a problem with their drivers seat? Mine squeaks when I go around corners it seems like it's coming from the seat back, like a spring or something. I told the dealer, they acknowledged it and so they greased the seat rails! Thanks a lot
      Mine does that since I put H&R sport springs on. I'm going to mention it to the dealer this weekend.

    17. n00b DeathEater726's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2012
      Location
      California
      Posts
      3
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI Autobahn
      02-24-2012 04:58 AM #87
      I seem to have the "Rustling leaves" problem, but it doesn't happen all the time. It seems to only happen when i pull into my driveway and even then it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Either way, is this something that should be fixed asap as I'm leaving on a road trip in a couple days?

    18. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2012
      Location
      Temple, Tx
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE 2.5
      02-25-2012 11:40 AM #88
      So I've been tracking down a squeak / chirping noise coming from the trim surrounding my instrument cluster.



      If I pressed on it here:



      It would reproduce the noise and if I held it down firmly, the noise would go away while driving. Now I went to my dealer twice for this issue and both times they weren't able to fully resolve the issue. When the sound came back for the third time I said "Screw it, I'm fixing it myself!" If you pull cautiously, but firmly on the piece here:



      Then it will pop free and give you a decent amount of space to access between it and the plastic lens that covers the instrument cluster. I went out to the garage and found a piece of styrofoam and cut it down to a workable size:




      And then I placed it between the panel and the instrument cluster and pressed the assembly firmly back in place. It still sits nice and flush and no longer makes any squeaking / chirping sounds!
      - Matt <Delta Chi> "LEGES"

      Candy White 2012 Jetta SE 2.5L 5-Speed

    19. Member JettaVR6mk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 28th, 2000
      Location
      Outside Philly
      Posts
      555
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn, 2005 Mazda 6s, 2000 Jetta GLX VR6
      02-25-2012 05:57 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by TsuDeltaChi View Post
      So I've been tracking down a squeak / chirping noise coming from the trim surrounding my instrument cluster.
      Thanks! Main post updated.
      2012 Platinum Grey Jetta GLI Autobahn with Nav
      2005 Blue Mazda Mazda6 s
      2000 Atlantic Blue Jetta VR6

    20. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2003
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      88
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      02-26-2012 11:25 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by TsuDeltaChi View Post
      So I've been tracking down a squeak / chirping noise coming from the trim surrounding my instrument cluster.
      Weird, my dealer is so used to this one, they pop it and put a piece of foam tape in that area automatically. (when my center console started to rattle I thought it was from this area, and they said they already did that, so started looking elsewhere which is how we figured out the center console rattle was basically channeling up through the dash) (learned this from the shop forman). You might want to try foam (weatherstripping) tape over this as the Styrofoam might degrade over time.

    21. 02-26-2012 06:41 PM #91
      Does anyone else with a sunroof have a headliner rattle? I spent a few hours today trying to locate the it, I found the spot and can make the rattle happen, but cant fix it.....yet.
      (I have the headliner recall done, it only fixes sagging headliner at the rear door)

      Anyway the rattle is in the headliner between the sunroof and the front doors (driver and passenger side) I can tap the headliner and make the noise happen. After removing the grab handle and part of the B pillar still cant seem to get up under the headliner without damaging it. You can sort of get into the area by opening the sunroof and going in from the gap where the sun sits closed, but my bear claws dont fit. I stuffed some pillow batting in there with no success. I want to say that the source may be from the curtain air bag assemblies. I also think if I can stuff a piece of felt in there I could solve the problem, but cant get there.
      I can leave the sunroof visor (whatever its tech name is) half closed and it makes the rattle less but doesnt solve the issue.

      Has anyone successfully removed the B pillar? I think that could be my ticket. I can only take off the lower half. I cant figure out how to get the top half free and Im a little afraid of the curtain air bags.

      I took it to the dealer for its 10k service and mentioned the rattle and they drove it and said they couldnt hear anything I guess they are deaf........... The dealership is useless. I understand they cant go chasing every little rattle for every anal customer, but I was frustrated in the lack of care they showed to me. There are other rattles in the car that I didnt even mention, rattles I can live with, but this one is ridiculous! I wasnt being unreasonable or a picky unpleasable customer.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 22nd, 2010
      Location
      Tri-State
      Posts
      151
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sedan SEL w/ Sunroof
      02-26-2012 07:11 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Anyone have a problem with their drivers seat? Mine squeaks when I go around corners it seems like it's coming from the seat back, like a spring or something. I told the dealer, they acknowledged it and so they greased the seat rails! Thanks a lot
      Completely with you on this one!! Same issue! Seat is driving me crazy!!

    23. n00b
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2012
      Location
      Charlotte NC
      Posts
      2
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      02-28-2012 11:02 PM #93
      I had the issue with my headliner sagging down in the rear. Dealer said it was faulty glue from the factory. It created at rattle and was easily visible. It was actually brought to my attention by a guy tinting my car. Dealership reglued the headliner but I continue to monitor it. I also had the sub rattle and used the tennis ball fix.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      02-28-2012 11:24 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by suprstng00 View Post
      Completely with you on this one!! Same issue! Seat is driving me crazy!!
      I later drove in circles in the parking lot with the service manager and he hear it too. He said that they would replace the seat just not now. I think I'm going to have a hard time getting them to follow through with that especially since that was a year ago

    25. Member nicolas.gagnon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2006
      Location
      New-Brunswick, CANADA
      Posts
      142
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI; 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
      03-01-2012 02:18 AM #95
      So, wondering if anyone has a creaking noise coming from the vents ?? I know I have read all the posts and I know some people do have rattles from the head unit or something...but I think mine is coming from the Vents itself...it is AWEFUL when it is cold outside... but the reason why I think it's the vent is because it usually does it in the center (over the head unit) and sometimes (rarely) on the right side (passenger vent) and sometimes where the cluster is. So I'm thinking it's that plastic thing that starts at the middle vents and goes all the way to the left vent... same kind of plastic as on the passenger's vent hence the same kind of sound....

      I LOVE LOVE LOVE my jetta....but I got rid of my Corolla mostly because of rattles, don't want some more in the jetta :S... so far i have had those rattles (which if they don't stop I might use my civic more often) and some in the doors at certain frequencies...which i believe is normal because i listen to my music with lots of bass....so plan on doing dynamat this summer...but other than that, (knock on wood) it has been good so far....has 18k kms on it at the moment...
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline w/ Multimedia, Sunroof and DSG.
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GLS w/ Leather, Sunroof and 5SPD.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-01-2012 03:18 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      So, wondering if anyone has a creaking noise coming from the vents ?? I know I have read all the posts and I know some people do have rattles from the head unit or something...but I think mine is coming from the Vents itself...it is AWEFUL when it is cold outside... but the reason why I think it's the vent is because it usually does it in the center (over the head unit) and sometimes (rarely) on the right side (passenger vent) and sometimes where the cluster is. So I'm thinking it's that plastic thing that starts at the middle vents and goes all the way to the left vent... same kind of plastic as on the passenger's vent hence the same kind of sound....

      I LOVE LOVE LOVE my jetta....but I got rid of my Corolla mostly because of rattles, don't want some more in the jetta :S... so far i have had those rattles (which if they don't stop I might use my civic more often) and some in the doors at certain frequencies...which i believe is normal because i listen to my music with lots of bass....so plan on doing dynamat this summer...but other than that, (knock on wood) it has been good so far....has 18k kms on it at the moment...
      I had the dealer replace my vents because they were vibrating took them 3 weeks to get the wrong part in They had to order by vin but my S came with silver trim instead of the black it was supposed to have so they had to finagle something with vw so they could still get reimbursed.

    27. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2011
      Posts
      28
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      03-01-2012 09:04 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      So, wondering if anyone has a creaking noise coming from the vents ?? I know I have read all the posts and I know some people do have rattles from the head unit or something...but I think mine is coming from the Vents itself...it is AWEFUL when it is cold outside... but the reason why I think it's the vent is because it usually does it in the center (over the head unit) and sometimes (rarely) on the right side (passenger vent) and sometimes where the cluster is. So I'm thinking it's that plastic thing that starts at the middle vents and goes all the way to the left vent... same kind of plastic as on the passenger's vent hence the same kind of sound....

      I LOVE LOVE LOVE my jetta....but I got rid of my Corolla mostly because of rattles, don't want some more in the jetta :S... so far i have had those rattles (which if they don't stop I might use my civic more often) and some in the doors at certain frequencies...which i believe is normal because i listen to my music with lots of bass....so plan on doing dynamat this summer...but other than that, (knock on wood) it has been good so far....has 18k kms on it at the moment...
      I have the EXACT same rattles: sounds like they are coming from the vents over the center (maybe like a screw is in there rattling around or something? Hard to describe..) and also the door rattles at certain bass frequencies. Both are driving me crazy.

      I plan on addressing this at my 90 day check-up but that isn't until April 10 so I may end up taking it in earlier...

    28. Member nicolas.gagnon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2006
      Location
      New-Brunswick, CANADA
      Posts
      142
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI; 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
      03-01-2012 02:09 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I had the dealer replace my vents because they were vibrating took them 3 weeks to get the wrong part in They had to order by vin but my S came with silver trim instead of the black it was supposed to have so they had to finagle something with vw so they could still get reimbursed.
      wow ! wel at least you were able to get it fixed...it's really weird...mine's not as much a rattle as a plastic on pastic cracking....


      Quote Originally Posted by MrChomps View Post
      I have the EXACT same rattles: sounds like they are coming from the vents over the center (maybe like a screw is in there rattling around or something? Hard to describe..) and also the door rattles at certain bass frequencies. Both are driving me crazy.

      I plan on addressing this at my 90 day check-up but that isn't until April 10 so I may end up taking it in earlier...
      like i said, mine isn't really a rattle...more a cracking noise...the doors i can stand...cuz it's not all the time... I dont have a 90 day check up :S that's kinda weird...maybe it's because i bought a demo ? but I will call them to see if they can add like a strip of felt tape or something...maybe that 'll help...
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline w/ Multimedia, Sunroof and DSG.
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GLS w/ Leather, Sunroof and 5SPD.

    29. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-01-2012 02:23 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      wow ! wel at least you were able to get it fixed...it's really weird...mine's not as much a rattle as a plastic on pastic cracking....




      like i said, mine isn't really a rattle...more a cracking noise...the doors i can stand...cuz it's not all the time... I dont have a 90 day check up :S that's kinda weird...maybe it's because i bought a demo ? but I will call them to see if they can add like a strip of felt tape or something...maybe that 'll help...
      It doesn't matter how you got your car as long as it's still under the original warranty 3 yr 36 the dealer should look into all problems with the car and really not charge you to do it

    30. Member nicolas.gagnon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2006
      Location
      New-Brunswick, CANADA
      Posts
      142
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI; 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
      03-01-2012 02:47 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      It doesn't matter how you got your car as long as it's still under the original warranty 3 yr 36 the dealer should look into all problems with the car and really not charge you to do it
      Do not worry I will be there for sure ! LOL...just need to find time and stuff... I will go until the problem get's settled... I dont like spending 33k on a car that I do not enjoy driving...other than that sound, i enjoy driving Jasmine (car's name lol) but even our 2006 civic has NO rattles what so ever... m old 2000 jetta with 240k had no rattles and still drove like a tank lol...

      I'll go in the next few weeks...just wanna make sure theres no other rattles before only had it for two weeks now.
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline w/ Multimedia, Sunroof and DSG.
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GLS w/ Leather, Sunroof and 5SPD.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      3,723
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-01-2012 03:17 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      Do not worry I will be there for sure ! LOL...just need to find time and stuff... I will go until the problem get's settled... I dont like spending 33k on a car that I do not enjoy driving...other than that sound, i enjoy driving Jasmine (car's name lol) but even our 2006 civic has NO rattles what so ever... m old 2000 jetta with 240k had no rattles and still drove like a tank lol...

      I'll go in the next few weeks...just wanna make sure theres no other rattles before only had it for two weeks now.
      You paid 33k for a used 2011 TDI?

    32. n00b
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2012
      Location
      London Ontario
      Posts
      3
      Vehicles
      2011 TDI Jetta comfortline
      03-01-2012 05:22 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      So, wondering if anyone has a creaking noise coming from the vents ?? I know I have read all the posts and I know some people do have rattles from the head unit or something...but I think mine is coming from the Vents itself...it is AWEFUL when it is cold outside... but the reason why I think it's the vent is because it usually does it in the center (over the head unit) and sometimes (rarely) on the right side (passenger vent) and sometimes where the cluster is. So I'm thinking it's that plastic thing that starts at the middle vents and goes all the way to the left vent... same kind of plastic as on the passenger's vent hence the same kind of sound....

      I LOVE LOVE LOVE my jetta....but I got rid of my Corolla mostly because of rattles, don't want some more in the jetta :S... so far i have had those rattles (which if they don't stop I might use my civic more often) and some in the doors at certain frequencies...which i believe is normal because i listen to my music with lots of bass....so plan on doing dynamat this summer...but other than that, (knock on wood) it has been good so far....has 18k kms on it at the moment...
      I had the crackling noise as well,I was sure it was comeing from the vents or the head unit or the environment controls.
      I removed the vent panel and drove the car,no change,removed the head unit,no change,,,I put felt pads under the heads of screws,drove the car for two weeks with the trim panel that goes around the head unit off so I could try different things,ie put finger pressure on differnet items as I went over bumps and it didnt work.
      I finally figured it out,,,there is a joint between where the dash meets the center console on each side of the storage compartment under the environment controls.
      When you go over your favourite bumpy roads that make the noise,put your thumb at the top of the seam,your forefinger at the bottom inside the storage compartment and put a good twist or side loads on the joint,,,the noise dissapears.
      Go buy some Super Lube Dri-Film lubricant and spray the seam/joint from both sides,,,,do it a couple of times per side,,,dont worry about getting any on the visible surfaces,it wipes away with no damage.
      I did this a month ago,,,its all quiet now.
      As a side note,when I was looking for felt tape and couldnt find any,,I used the soft side of velcro tape instead,works great!

    33. Moderator Flyin18T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2001
      Location
      Long Island
      Posts
      2,774
      03-01-2012 11:29 PM #103
      Thread re-sticky-fied. Too much valuable info not to be.
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

      https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

    34. Member nicolas.gagnon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2006
      Location
      New-Brunswick, CANADA
      Posts
      142
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI; 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
      03-02-2012 01:39 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      You paid 33k for a used 2011 TDI?
      LOL oops...that was with the money i lost with my old car (34k to be exact)........but no i didnt pay that much lol... it was a demo and 34k is all included...

      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I had the crackling noise as well,I was sure it was comeing from the vents or the head unit or the environment controls.
      I removed the vent panel and drove the car,no change,removed the head unit,no change,,,I put felt pads under the heads of screws,drove the car for two weeks with the trim panel that goes around the head unit off so I could try different things,ie put finger pressure on differnet items as I went over bumps and it didnt work.
      I finally figured it out,,,there is a joint between where the dash meets the center console on each side of the storage compartment under the environment controls.
      When you go over your favourite bumpy roads that make the noise,put your thumb at the top of the seam,your forefinger at the bottom inside the storage compartment and put a good twist or side loads on the joint,,,the noise dissapears.
      Go buy some Super Lube Dri-Film lubricant and spray the seam/joint from both sides,,,,do it a couple of times per side,,,dont worry about getting any on the visible surfaces,it wipes away with no damage.
      I did this a month ago,,,its all quiet now.
      As a side note,when I was looking for felt tape and couldnt find any,,I used the soft side of velcro tape instead,works great!
      wow thanks for the info... i will try that next time i take the car...hopefully that would be the answer to my only problem ...
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline w/ Multimedia, Sunroof and DSG.
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GLS w/ Leather, Sunroof and 5SPD.

    35. Member NotLowEnough's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2011
      Location
      Chatham County, NC
      Posts
      5,951
      Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      03-02-2012 08:53 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Flyin18T View Post
      Thread re-sticky-fied. Too much valuable info not to be.


      I'm about to undertake a fairly intensive Dynamat project on my 8V. Hood, trunk, doors, floor, just about everywhere. I'll post a thread once I get the materials.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •