Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Golf 4dr 6MT ; 90 240sx SR20DET
      04-19-2012 01:14 PM #141
      I think I found a fix for the Head Unit / HVAC snapping and Cracking.

Lustinator is correct that the noise comes from the gaps between the dash and the center console area. Before I tried spraying lube in those cracks, I figured I would try this:

I cut up a business card and folded it up a few times, and wedged it between the front gap between the dash and center console (Deep into the gap) I had to wedge it in there with a plastic pry bar. Since then it hasn't snapped or cracked.

Since this looks like crap, I am working on a better solution.

What I did was get a large black plastic zip tie, pried open the gap and stuck it in there. Then I cut off the end that is sticking out so you couldn't see it, but left enough hanging out of the front so it doesn't fall in.

So far, this has been working for me. Now to tackle all of the other rattles!

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Highline
      04-19-2012 02:01 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
      I think I found a fix for the Head Unit / HVAC snapping and Cracking.

What I did was get a large black plastic zip tie, pried open the gap and stuck it in there. Then I cut off the end that is sticking out so you couldn't see it, but left enough hanging out of the front so it doesn't fall in.

So far, this has been working for me. Now to tackle all of the other rattles!
      I have this snap, crackle, pop in my car. I had shoved a business card in like you. I may try the zip tie approach or was considering prying the gap open and injecting a small amount of silicone.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 White GLI Autobahn w/Nav
      04-20-2012 10:45 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      if you have time do you think you could scan that report? I'd like to show my dealer how to fix the **** they claim is "normal" or that they can't hear.
      I would love to see the report too!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 White GLI Autobahn w/Nav
      04-20-2012 10:52 AM #144
      My jeep had this problem a few years ago, they took the whole thing apart and it ended up being a tiny peice of insulation/foam pinched into the vents near one of the joints that clip together. When the AC was high enough it would cause it to vibrate and whistle as the air blew past it. I would tell them to look INSIDE the tubes of the HVAC system.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 01:36 PM #145
      Well, I have been able to fix some rattles, but more have popped up.

1. The Dashboard Trim Above the Glove Box Rattles, when I apply pressure to the trim it stops.

2. The Trim around the shifter (DSG in My Case) Rattles, and will stop when I apply pressure it stops.
      -I removed the shifter trim, and applied felt tape to all 4 corners, which made the trim tighter, but it didn't help with the rattling.

Any ideas on how to solve these would be appreciated!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 08:23 PM #146

Someone posted up this picture where they found a missing dash screw, that could be the source of some rattling. Anyone know how to disassemble the dash to this point?

7. 04-25-2012 04:43 PM #147
      I am in the market for a new car. I want something with 4 doors, safe, sporty and under 30k. Passat is too big, GTI is too small. GLI is perfect right? Yes I think so. But threads like this make me wonder; is the GLI so much fun to drive that I should simply ignore all of these posts?

Thanks guys/gals

I apologize up front if you think this was the wrong place to post.

Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI; 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
      04-26-2012 02:35 AM #148
      I went to my dealership this week to have the Mirror whistle and the dash cracking issues resolved. I got the car back - they had to order the part for the mirror - which should fix the problem and they kinda fixed the cracking noise !!! Only does it every once in a while instead of every crack in the pavement WOOHOO...

The only thing that this has caused is : now that the cracking is not there to make me go crazy, the buzzing from the security light is now driving me IN-SANE !!!! Rediculously insane...Need to order dynamat to do my doors soon (I kno it wont fix the security light but I do not want to take my doors apart twice...so i'll wait till I do the two things at once)... Just bought a new house and will have a garage so I'll do it then YAY
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Comfortline w/ Multimedia, Sunroof and DSG.
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GLS w/ Leather, Sunroof and 5SPD.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Cov.
      04-26-2012 12:55 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      I went to my dealership this week to have the Mirror whistle and the dash cracking issues resolved. I got the car back - they had to order the part for the mirror - which should fix the problem and they kinda fixed the cracking noise !!! Only does it every once in a while instead of every crack in the pavement WOOHOO...

The only thing that this has caused is : now that the cracking is not there to make me go crazy, the buzzing from the security light is now driving me IN-SANE !!!! Rediculously insane...Need to order dynamat to do my doors soon (I kno it wont fix the security light but I do not want to take my doors apart twice...so i'll wait till I do the two things at once)... Just bought a new house and will have a garage so I'll do it then YAY
      I was able to fix the security light buzz by doing the following:

Find a soft plastic pry tool - something with a fine edge on it but that isnt hard enough to damage the plastic trim

Cut out a small circle of felt that's just as big as the security light housing that sits on the door sill.
      Cut out a small circle in the middle of the felt - you should now have a ring. Cut the ring on one end so that it looks like a "C" but without much gap.

Gently pry up the housing - it will come up about 1-2mm - just enough to push the felt ring under it.

Work your way around the security light slowly prying And pushing in felt. Eventually it will be tight and sitting on a layer of felt.

Worked great for me!

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:46 AM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by NekoSaur View Post
      I was able to fix the security light buzz by doing the following:

Find a soft plastic pry tool - something with a fine edge on it but that isnt hard enough to damage the plastic trim

Cut out a small circle of felt that's just as big as the security light housing that sits on the door sill.
      Cut out a small circle in the middle of the felt - you should now have a ring. Cut the ring on one end so that it looks like a "C" but without much gap.

Gently pry up the housing - it will come up about 1-2mm - just enough to push the felt ring under it.

Work your way around the security light slowly prying And pushing in felt. Eventually it will be tight and sitting on a layer of felt.

Worked great for me!
      THANKS !!!! I will certainly try that

11. 04-28-2012 12:02 AM #151
      Hi guys, very useful tread! I just want to add my experience; it might help someone to save some time and some elbow grease. I have a 2011 SEL, stick, bought it new. I had quite a few cars, among them a MK2 Jetta, an A6, so I’m not newbie when it comes to VWs, and I’m also mechanically inclined – I changed the CV boot on all of my vwag cars…
      My Jetta started to make a rattling noise after a month or so, coming from behind the instrument cluster, close to the A pillar, under the windscreen area. At the 3 month courtesy check I mentioned it at the dealership; when I got the car back I was told that they couldn’t find anything, except for a loose driver side vanity light, which they fixed. The rattle went away for a week or so than it came back. I knew I had to fix it myself, if I take it back to the dealer, unless there is a TSB, they won’t fix it, just will make things worse – nothing personal against my dealership, they are fine, but just that’s the way it is, they will not spend countless hours chasing rabbits around. But instead of just tearing into the dashboard, I started to watch discussions like this one, figured I’m not the only one, and sooner or later someone will find a fix. Anyhow, after this threat got longer, with lots of good info, I decided it’s time to dig in. So on a quiet afternoon I removed the instrument cluster trim, then the cluster, applied weather stripping foam to all the suspected places: between the cluster and dashboard, inside the trim where it touches the clear plastic, under the trim, next to the clips and so on. I also padded the dashboard endplate panel, and fuse block door. While the instrument cluster was out I also checked for missing screws, all OK. Put everything back together, felt pretty good.
      I took the car out for a spin, but of course, the noise is still there, F@#$! . So I driving around, and I started again touching everything in my reach to see if I can quiet things down. Since the sun was out, I had the visor down, and I’m tapping and touching everything I can reach, when for some unknown reason I touch he vanity light, and as long as I’m holding it, the rattle is gone. Even that there is no rattle, I still can’t believe to my own ears, because when I let the light go he noise comes back, and I swear it comes from behind the instrument cluster. I touch the light, no noise; let it go, the noise is back. Well f%$# it, I go home, pop the light out. (As a side note, I know this car was cheapened a lot, but you really starting noticing it under the skin, the vanity light in my very first car was far higher quality, and that car was Skoda 110L! google it)
      Well, what I found is that the metal mounting clip at the end of the light was loose inside the plastic housing; I have no idea how it was supposed to stay tight, but I pushed a straightened paper staple between the clip and the housing to tighten things up, and clipped off the staple sticking out. (I only used a staple because that is what I had handy, and it fit perfectly).
      Anyway, my car is –still- rattle free for two weeks now, and no question that the light was my issue.
      I just want to share my experience, because I was 100% sure the rattle is coming from behind the dashboard, and despite all the evidence, it was still hard for me to accept that I was looking in the wrong place all along. Now, it doesn’t mean that all rattle from behind the instrument cluster is originating from the vanity light - unfortunately the way our car is made guaranties many more Easter egg hunts – but use my story as a cautionary tale, and don’t blindly follow your ears!

Many thanks for all the previous contributors!

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/o nav. 2011 Golf TDi
      04-28-2012 08:10 AM #152
      I have a 2012 GLI Autobahn and i don't have any of the issues on this thread, yet LOL. Have you had a test drive yet?

13. 04-28-2012 06:29 PM #153
      Ok back from the dealership. I absolutely LOVE the GLI!! I have a theory; You think you love your cat until you get a dog, you think you love your dog, until you fall in love with your significant other,you think you love your significant other, until you have kids...Now you finally know how deep love can be....Anyway, I guess I can add one more thing to my list. You think you love your car until your car is a VW.

The rattles still concern me and the overall quality/reliability is still a major concern....But now understand.

I am leaning heavily towards the 2013 GLI.

Vehicles
      '12 CC Lux Plus
      04-29-2012 08:29 PM #154
      Alright I haven't seen or heard anyone talk about this so here it is...

Lately every time I go over bump or generously accelerate, my headliner creeks and rattles. It sounds almost like the top of the car is not attached to the bottom. It's annoying as **** so I will be taking it in to my dealer this week.

It's also a 2012 GLI with 7,8XX miles on it. Unacceptable for any car with that amount of miles.

15. 04-29-2012 10:56 PM #155
      Everything in my 28 grand car rattles. Only have had it for a month and 2,000 miles. I wish my lease ended tomorrow, its disgusting. I've had it in twice, once for rattles(We adjusted things, or so they say), second time for my already failing water pump, and this time "we didn't hear any rattles"...woof.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      05-07-2012 01:19 PM #156
      My 2011 Jetta SE 6sp Auto has delveloped a new noise. When at a stop/standstill, and you press on the accelerator, a CLICKING sound is made, within a second of accelerating. I was able to replicate the sound consistantly in my driveway by just stepping on and off the accelerator repeatedly. I then put the car in reverse, and stepped on and off the BRAKE pedal repeatedly and the click noise happend as well. The noise will also happen while the car is moving, and you step on accelerator so that the car downshifts, say from 5th to 3rd gear. Again, the click noise happens within a second after the downshift. Any feedback on this would be appreicated! The car will be going in for some warranty work this week, and I don't want to get the typical response from the dealer of "That is normal". Thanks!

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      05-08-2012 11:35 PM #157
      Well, I was actually able to figure out the click noise. The driver seat was not completely locked into position. There is one area in the seat track in which the seat would not fully lock into place. The initial forward or reverse motion of the car caused the seat to move just enough to make the noise.

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      05-11-2012 08:44 AM #158
      I have been to the dealer a few times regarding the outside mirror whistling at speed and have been told that there is not a fix for this. Anyone else have this issue?

* Also had the headliner replaced due to C pillar trim
      * Numerous rattles including drivers side rear door interior door panel rattles when door is closed.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      05-11-2012 01:27 PM #159
      There is a thread titled "Solved! side mirror whistling noise". There are some good pictures there showing where the noise is actually coming from. I had the mirror whistle issue as well on both mirrors. I informed my dealer and they said there was a TSB bulletin to correct the problem. What they do is replace the exterior mirror caps (the black part housing only) The new part actually fills in the gap shown in the pictures. My invoice said that they performed TSB 66-11-03. Have been driving for a couple of weeks and no wind noise. Hope this helps! Note: Removing the mirror glass is tricky, according to the dealer. They indicated that sometimes they break during the removal process.

20. Junior Member pinkertonfloyd's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      05-13-2012 01:39 AM #160
      Well, I have been able to fix some rattles, but more have popped up.
      \

2. The Trim around the shifter (DSG in My Case) Rattles, and will stop when I apply pressure it stops.
      -I removed the shifter trim, and applied felt tape to all 4 corners, which made the trim tighter, but it didn't help with the rattling.

Any ideas on how to solve these would be appreciated!
      I had the same rattle, turned out to be a metal clamp under the center console (it's in back of the shifter area, just out of the way to get to if you try to fix it. (It's basically between the shift and the brake).

The dealer had to remove the center console, and put foam tape on both the console and elt tape on the clamp. When they pulled it they could see that it was hitting as it was leaving small gouges on the plastic. They also lubed the shifter and the ebrake.

It's quiet... but same thing, you pressed on the trim around the shifter and it would go away, we first put foam around it, and it was a tad lighter, but came back... this has fixed it... been no noise for a couple months now.

The clamp is #16 in this diagram... FYI: Some people might be mistaking this noise as being from the HVAC console... the "horn" on the front of the center console seems to transfer noise into the dash area quite well...

Last edited by pinkertonfloyd; 05-13-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added Picture.

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Autobahn
      05-15-2012 10:58 AM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by designpunk View Post
      2012 gli autobahn
      passenger side wiper making a funky and loud clacking noise when it reaches the bottom.
      seems and sounds as if it is hitting the plastic tray.....and not just a little bit upon inspection.

anyone have this occur ?
      quick fix ?
      or have the dealer fix it ?

thanks, jim
      I was out in the rain yesterday and had the same noise start, but only with wipers on intermittent or low. on high, noise not present. I got out in the rain with wipers on low to observe and it looks as if the passenger side wiper gets caught and then jumps, resulting in the noise. maybe a problem with the calibration of the motor. will address this among other issues when i next bring the car in. love the way the car drives, but the build quality is absolute ****e!

22. 05-17-2012 01:24 PM #162
      With all these problems, and some fixes listed.

Is it worth getting this car still? I thought I had finally made up my kind to get one, but reading this thread and the others where people describe the headliner falling part or the C-pilar, has me doubting this car now.

I'm not mechanically inclined to do 3/4 of these fixes, but do hate rattles. I know I can also go with a Honda , but they are boring to drive and not well equipped for the price.

23. 05-17-2012 01:59 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
      With all these problems, and some fixes listed.

Is it worth getting this car still? I thought I had finally made up my kind to get one, but reading this thread and the others where people describe the headliner falling part or the C-pilar, has me doubting this car now.

I'm not mechanically inclined to do 3/4 of these fixes, but do hate rattles. I know I can also go with a Honda , but they are boring to drive and not well equipped for the price.
      If you are annoyed with Rattles and aren't capable of fixing them on your own, it might cost you many visits to the dealership to get them figured out. Some have had better luck, I'm not one of them. The car mechanically still is very fun to drive and for me the rattles are the only negative. I personally would not rebuy the car but thats just me

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2012 07:25 PM #164
      Here is my permanent solution to all of my rattles.....

....No more rattles! The difference is night and day!

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 03:30 AM #165

Seriously ? There is that much difference ?

26. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Autobahn
      05-24-2012 06:14 PM #166
      I have a GLI Autobahn 6 MT that has been driving me nuts! Love the way the car drives but was getting a terrible buzzing/vibration sound from what seemed like the center of dash especially when accelerating hard from about 3800-4800 RPM. I took the car in at 1782 miles and the sound was diagnosed as "module for noise performance in rain tray rattling." VW of Princeton reinstalled and properly secured the module and "could not verify noise after fix." Got the car back and indeed the noise was greatly diminished. However, a buzzing/vibration sound persisted.

I'd done the usual pressing on interior panels while repeatedly accelerating over and over in 2nd gear. Couldn't find the sound until I reached up and squeezed the rearview mirror and the sound stopped - and stayed away. It returned a few days later, I repeated the squeezing of the mirror, and the sound disappeared. I held the mirror lightly and it does vibrate significantly upon acceleration, so I know I've found the problem. Sounds aren't always coming from where they seem I learned. I've not decided whether to take the mirror apart and put it back together with tightly or simply have a new mirror installed by VW.

I hope this brings some peace to another driver who might be on the edge of insanity due to the same problem!

Vehicles
      MkIV,VI Jetta:::'87 QStationW:::'08 TT
      05-31-2012 10:00 PM #167
      Looking for help on these rattles:

1-In below 40deg weather, when you turn on the ac/heater blower, there is a very audible ticking noise in rhythm with the speed of the blower. Above setting 2, the blower is so loud you can't here the ticking but it's there. Anyone deal with this before?

2- there is a rattle from the passenger side seat lift lever area when cranked all the way down. Raise it one pump and leave hair of tension on it and it stops.

3- passenger side ac vent near door rattles ( or I think it's that)

What you got?
      The Mexicans who assembled my Wolfsburg like German food... good enough for me!
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      Don't be a vagina. Take it apart

Vehicles
      2012 GLI DSG Autobahn
      06-01-2012 10:51 AM #168
      Overhead rattle: I seriously thought it was the sunroof shade, because it makes a cracking sound if I put light pressure on the aft portion of it. First time I went to the dealer, they said it was my sunglasses in the compartment. I was pissed off beyond belief. I'm not that dumb. I took it back this week and they kept the car for two days. They gave me a loaner at least. It was the latching mechanism for the sunglasses compartment. They replaced.

Dash rattle: They replace the ac vent panel. The piece that goes from the left side of the driver, sits on top of instrument cluster and end in the middle with the two vents. Problem fixed.

Driver door rattle: They must have taken my door apart 10 times. Something was loose in the window motor area and the the silver trim piece on the inside. They weren't very explicit on that.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:40 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolas.gagnon View Post
      Seriously ? There is that much difference ?
      YES!!!!! The difference is HUGE. Everything in the car, right down to the turn signal lever and headlight switch are significantly better then my TDI Jetta. It is so much quieter inside, and the handling and braking are much improved as well. I could go on for about a page detailing the improvements...but I wont.

Vehicles
      06-03-2012 12:35 PM #170
      YES!!!!! The difference is HUGE. Everything in the car, right down to the turn signal lever and headlight switch are significantly better then my TDI Jetta. It is so much quieter inside, and the handling and braking are much improved as well. I could go on for about a page detailing the improvements...but I wont.
      im jealous

Vehicles
      06-04-2012 01:33 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post

Has anyone tried to put tape between #23 and the main floor console? Do i need to tear apart my WHOLE car to do so ? Most annoying sound ever.

32. 06-20-2012 12:48 PM #172

I traded in my 2010 Golf TDI for my GLI. Your Golf will rattle just as bad as the Jetta - trust me. Mine sounded like an 8 year old Civic when I got rid of it. My GLI has a few ralltes, but nothing as bad as my Golf had.
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      2013 Tig SEL

Vehicles
      8 rings
      06-21-2012 02:15 PM #173
      I didn't see this specifically addressed in the thread so far, pardon me if it has already been discussed. Initially I had the Fender subwoofer rattle from the rear deck. I immediately shoved some tennis balls up there and it was fine.

I took the car in for its 10k service a few weeks ago, and they said there was a TSB about the subwoofer and they would be addressing it. I mentioned my tennis ball fix and they said no problem, we'll just take them out and leave them in the car. Since I got the car back, the rattle is worse than ever. I "re-installed" my tennis balls but now I can't seem to stop the rattle/vibrations. Anyone else been through this, and have any words of wisdom? I always hesitate to bring cars to dealers over rattles because it always turns into a time-sucking wild goose chase.

34. 06-21-2012 09:01 PM #174
      =
      Last edited by BurghGLI; 06-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.

35. 06-22-2012 01:32 PM #175
      Hello all, wanted to update you it's been a while. I finally got around to taking in my car to the dealership for my 10K service and they discovered the cause to the overwhelming majority of my rattle problems. I had had my windshield replaced and the plastic cowl which sits below windshield/encases the wipers etc was not reattached properly. I have my suspicions that it was never attached properly in the first place as these noises predate the replacement windshield, but the sounds definitely had gotten worse since then. Since they bolted it back in place, the noises in my doors went away, the noise in the glove compartment went away, and what I thought was a speaker rattle has too gone away.

I'm very pleased with what was done so I'd suggest you all look at that as the sound definitely travelled to all different parts of the car.

Only sound still in the car is the center console squeak which has currently been fixed by sticking some business cards in there a seen earlier in this thread. If that's the worst I have I think I can tolerate it.

Thanks

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast