Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Liberty is Now Such a Hot-Seller No Plant Shutdown Scheduled for End of Year

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      12-12-2011 09:31 PM #1
      I don't know what kind of voodoo Fiat/Chrysler has up it's collective sleeve, but hot sales of the Jeep Liberty (and Wrangler) has the Toledo, OH factory where they are made skipping the usual year end shutdown. The Liberty and Wrangler factory will be the only domestic plant in the US still in production at the end of the year!

From Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/12/s...plant-running/

According to Automotive News, no other plant operated by an American automaker will be working during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. The Toledo plants are the only facilities building the Jeep Wrangler and Liberty, both of which are selling like hot cakes in 2011. With one month left of the year, Jeep has sold 111,045 Wranglers, up 29 percent over 2010. The Liberty, meanwhile, is up 36 percent to 60,523 units sold.
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 12-12-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Panda Smart
      12-12-2011 09:32 PM #2
      *Speechless*

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      12-12-2011 09:33 PM #3
      My mom bought two Liberties... So they can thank her.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone Grey 1.8T GTI|1990 Tornado Red G60 Corrado |2012 3.6L M/T Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      12-12-2011 09:35 PM #4
      I'm still waiting for my 2012 Wrangler to come in....
      ---------------------
      Bleifrei ------------
      Unleaded ----------
      Sans Plomb -------
      SpoonfedTuning

5. Member
      12-12-2011 09:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      My mom bought two Liberties... So they can thank her.
      Yeah, no more station-wagons, no more minivans, now this

Vehicles
      94 Civic
      12-12-2011 09:36 PM #6
      That liberty doesn't even look that bad...

if only the mechanical bits were a bit more... efficient

I'd rock it

Vehicles
      2000 Acura TL 3.2, 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      12-12-2011 09:37 PM #7
      Liberty Rubicon is badass.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

Vehicles
      A garage full of PL's
      12-12-2011 09:38 PM #8
      I've driven several newer Liberty and have been very happy with the quality, driveability and look of them. As far as the JK's go, no surprise there with the new motor and interior over haul!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      12-12-2011 09:42 PM #9
      I can't wait to see how the new Liberty (most likely to return to the Cherokee name in the USA) does, with modern design, materials, and quality.

Vehicles
      A garage full of PL's
      12-12-2011 09:47 PM #10
      ^^ Agree. Would love for them to bring back a CRD. The last Gen ones have been holding their value like crazy!

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      12-12-2011 10:30 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      *Speechless*
      Seriously.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      12-12-2011 11:04 PM #12
      My theory is that more people are realizing that the end of the world is coming next December and they need a capable vehicle to make their last voyage... errr... roadtrip.

Vehicles
      12-12-2011 11:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by rsj0714 View Post
      Liberty Rubicon is badass.
      Aye, I do.

12-12-2011 11:10 PM #14
      I'm starting to really, really want a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, but I don't have that kind of money to throw around. Someday, maybe...
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

15. 12-12-2011 11:17 PM #15
      Owned a 2008 Liberty Limited ... and returned it to the dealer.after 6 months of using it (long story about how I returned a car I've purchased but.that's for another time)

Honesty the mileage is horrible, and mechanically wise there is plenty to improve. Ride is rough too. Out of all the vehicles I never owned or driven this one takes the cake. Donno why they sell so much...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      12-12-2011 11:25 PM #16
      My 16 year old sister has a 2010. It's pretty nice I guess. She loves that truck.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      12-12-2011 11:27 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by kozy04 View Post
      Owned a 2008 Liberty Limited ... and returned it to the dealer.after 6 months of using it (long story about how I returned a car I've purchased but.that's for another time)

Honesty the mileage is horrible, and mechanically wise there is plenty to improve. Ride is rough too. Out of all the vehicles I never owned or driven this one takes the cake. Donno why they sell so much...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
      They obviously made some improvements since you bought yours.
      And lemons are lemons.
      But yeah- they are quite crappy on road SUVs imho.
      What are people buying- image? I guess the tough Jeep image still sells.
      I wonder if most buyers even consider things like ride quality.
      They just shop image and monthly payment.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 12-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      12-12-2011 11:30 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by kozy04 View Post

What did you expect...?

They sell because there is no other vehicle like them available. First off it's the only convertible for under $75k a guy can drive while still feeling somewhat manly, it has incredible off-road prowess, the largest aftermarket of ANY vehicle, and girls love them too. The roof comes off, the doors come off, it's easy to maintain, yada yada. I had two YJ's I had to sell when I moved to the city and I miss them all the time.

Yeah they get piss poor mileage and they handle like doo-doo but they're awesome vehicles

I'm sure they're at capacity thanks moreso to the Wrangler and less the Liberty... with the 2012 model updates they're probably selling to all those people who passed up a 2011 to wait, on top of normal buyers.
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      12-12-2011 11:35 PM #19
      I'm in the minority, but I always liked the looks of the Nitro over the Liberty.

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      12-12-2011 11:38 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      First off it's the only convertible for under $75k a guy can drive while still feeling somewhat manly.
      Nope. I don't know about you but I'd still feel pretty manly in a Camaro SS/ZL1, Mustang GT/GT500, or Corvette base/GS vert. Just saying.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      12-13-2011 12:09 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Nope. I don't know about you but I'd still feel pretty manly in a Camaro SS/ZL1, Mustang GT/GT500, or Corvette base/GS vert. Just saying.
      Yeah, but you'd feel manlier in a coupe

I know what you're saying, but you know what I'm saying too
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      12-13-2011 09:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      What did you expect...?

They sell because there is no other vehicle like them available. First off it's the only convertible for under $75k a guy can drive while still feeling somewhat manly, it has incredible off-road prowess, the largest aftermarket of ANY vehicle, and girls love them too. The roof comes off, the doors come off, it's easy to maintain, yada yada. I had two YJ's I had to sell when I moved to the city and I miss them all the time.

Yeah they get piss poor mileage and they handle like doo-doo but they're awesome vehicles
      You realize that he is talking about the Liberty, right? That is truly a POS. No matter how many 'Rubicon' stickers they slap on it.

Vehicles
      A garage full of PL's
      12-13-2011 09:26 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      You realize that he is talking about the Liberty, right? That is truly a POS. No matter how many 'Rubicon' stickers they slap on it.
      Thats quite obviously an owner modified rig. Jeep doesn't offer a Rubicon package (Yet?) for the Liberty.

Vehicles
      93 mustang gt, 04 Tahoe, 13 DRZ400SM, 04 yz250
      12-13-2011 09:36 AM #24
      it's gotta be an image thing to sell that many. my guess is people go to get a grand cherokee and realize they can't afford it so they get the closest thing they can.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      12-13-2011 09:47 AM #25
      "POS"

I never understood the need for this manner of descriptor. You people act as if these cars are Yugos or 80s Hyundais. Or any number of 70s-80s domestics.

I've driven about 3 rental Liberties and...
      1) Interior - Designed fine to my eyes. The lines/forms are cohesive. It's nothing to write home about nor will it win any art school awards, but it is far from the atrocities of 80s GM or Ford. It's inoffensive and durable.

2) Ride - It's an SUV and one from a brand that is touted to be all terrain! If you wanted smooth and not rough... get a Buick! Or better yet... stop being a cheap ass and get a GC!

3) Mileage - You have to be kidding. It is no worse than other SUVs with similar powertrain/chassis/body formats. Get a Prius if you want mileage. Or better yet... get any number of Cute crossovers.

I swear... anymore... it's as if people want to exaggerate complaints because that somehow is supposed to help impress upon everyone else their grand techniques of critique or something?

Anymore... there are is no such thing as Auto Enthusiasts... just Auto Whiners.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi A4 2.0T quattro, 2013 Volvo S60 T5
      12-13-2011 09:51 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      "POS"

I never understood the need for this manner of descriptor. You people act as if these cars are Yugos or 80s Hyundais. Or any number of 70s-80s domestics.

1) Interior - Designed fine to my eyes. The lines/forms are cohesive. It's nothing to write home about nor will it win any art school awards, but it is far from the atrocities of 80s GM or Ford. It's inoffensive and durable.

2) Ride - It's an SUV and one from a brand that is touted to be all terrain! If you wanted smooth and not rough... get a Buick! Or better yet... stop being a cheap ass and get a GC!

3) Mileage - You have to be kidding. It is no worse than other SUVs with similar powertrain/chassis/body formats. Get a Prius if you want mileage. Or better yet... get any number of Cute crossovers.

I swear... anymore... it's as if people want to exaggerate complaints because that somehow is supposed to help impress upon everyone else their grand techniques of critique or something?

Well said.

27. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      12-13-2011 10:12 AM #27
      While we're on the subject of overstatements.

Vehicles
      Several
      12-13-2011 10:26 AM #28
      I agree with what you said, but this is the forum where dash-stroking comments appear in sports car threads.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-13-2011 11:03 AM #29
      "POS"

Careful. You're gonna make me go test-drive one.

It's not a bad car at all. I think the most valid criticisms are really of its space and packaging; it's a cramped little thing. But it's really just kind of an old-school SUV - transfer case, RWD, truck motor, built for the fire roads. It's not really appropriate for the market anymore, but I think there's so much goodwill for the Jeep name and image that people tend to forgive it its rough bits.

And there's three grand on the hood. I just priced one out pretty nicely for under $25k. Find me an Xterra that well equipped at that price.

I've noticed that too. A car isn't just uncompetitive - it's a piece of **** that calls the company's entire right to exist into question. It's not just not to your aesthetic preferences, it made you throw up a little bit in your mouth. It's not a perfectly good car that just doesn't appeal to you, it's an appliance that's only driven by stupid, illiterate sheep. And it's the same hackeyed, schooltard phrases (I meant to type schoolyard, but that was a good typo) being employed by the same unoriginal jackwagons. It's like they're trying to channel Jeremy Clarkson's reactionary knee-jerking, but don't have the bandwidth for his wit, charm, or ability to turn a phrase.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 12-13-2011 at 11:05 AM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      12-13-2011 11:19 AM #30
      I wouldn't buy a Liberty because it doesn't meet my needs, but I still find it strangely appealing.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      12-13-2011 11:20 AM #31
      This and the Escape are a mystery to me

Vehicles
      12-13-2011 11:23 AM #32
      I can report with real world experience that the Liberty gets awful MPG even for what it is.

You can blame 80% of that on the 4 speed auto.

Regardless I still like them a lot. My only complaint is the non Limited models do not have enough lower back support.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      12-13-2011 11:29 AM #33
      I can report with real world experience that the Liberty gets awful MPG even for what it is.
      t.
      It's rated for 22 highway- does it struggle to hit that?
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      12-13-2011 11:47 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      No.

Vehicles
      Several
      12-13-2011 11:51 AM #35
      You can blame 80% of that on the 4 speed auto.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Ouch. To be fair, though, it is a brick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast