ENRON = We Take Your Money and Run!!!
"Never bring a Camera to a Gun Fight, You never know who you might Point n Shoot at!!!"
"Victims, arent we all?"
Really cool shots everyone, it was a great show and turnout! If by any chance anyone got a rolling shot of my Tiguan on the road please post or pm me the pic! thanks!!
I saw only a few passats there and 2 CC's.
The passats were nothing to brag about and the 2 CC's were gross.
One was on bags with a spray can ghetto wheels and some company junk written on it with plastdip or something.. And the other one was a completely stock and a horrible quality matte paint.. And I mean horrible.
I didn't stay long enough to see who won.. But if there is an ounce of intelligence... There should be no question
The Passat class went to one of the last passats still in show. Awards are given out at 3:30, people roll out before that with award winning cars. C'est la vie.
The winner was the wagon with the modified shopping cart attached to the roof rack.
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster
Last edited by AWDream; 04-09-2012 at 11:09 AM.
I always find it interesting that every year, with out fail, the small handful of people that don't read anything about the event and come to the show with whatever expectations they made up on their own are the first people to jump on vortex and complain. There are several points about the show that I would like to clarify:
1. $5 isn't a lot, and it costs thousands of dollars and months of our time to put on. $5 is nothing - many shows charge way more, and if you honestly don't think you are getting $5 worth of car show, you don't have to come - this is a free market, and consumers vote with their wallet. The fact that this show keeps DOUBLING suggests that this is a fair (or better) market price.
2. All cars are welcome. As Dan already pointed out, we can't deny anyone access to the park anyway, and we've posted everywhere that all makes and models are welcome. I saw way more VW's than any other brand there, I would guess at least 90-95%.
3. Last year (and every year) we run into an issue where everyone leaves before we can give out the awards. We started even earlier this year (even before the announced 3:30 award time) and ran into the same issue again. We drove around the show to check out what was there (walking it to judge would have taken WAAYYY too long) and by the time we got back to the car we wanted to give an award to, they had left. There was literally 6 cars that we were going to give awards to that we drove past that weren't there when we made it back down through the show - literally 10 minutes later. For example: almost every year we give best beetle to the Ruf Bug (deservedly so) but we wanted to change it up this year and pick an air cooled. There were 4 in one area right in the front row, but I wanted to do a lap first to see if there were any others - it's silly to give the award to the first car you see. Went through all the rows and came back, all 4 were gone. So looks like Ruf Bug wins again! Until we went to the second row, where he was parked not more than 5 minutes earlier, and he had also left. And then there were none. Next year we will have to have official judges and we'll do awards at like 2:00. And hear complaints that awards were done too early Also, Awards are not serious. At all. This has been said many times. That's why we have "fun" awards like "WTF" and "Best Beater". This is a laid back event.
4. The food vendor was overwhelmed, as was everyone else. My over-estimation for the event was 3000, and I thought I was being very generous (we ended up with 3600 people). Next year they will have 2 separate booths so there isn't such a huge line.
5. Garbage cans will be present next year. In past years, there hasn't been a lot of trash, so we just picked it all up after everyone left and it was no big deal. This year was ridiculous, due to the large amount of people. We will definitely have trash cans next year.
Over all, 99% of everyone had a FANTASTIC time and enjoyed the show. You guys are what makes this show such a success, and I will gladly continue doing it as long as you keep enjoying it.
Jason, I for one can appreciate all the work that goes into organizing an event like this. I think in today's economy, $5.00 is NOTHING. ($5.00 is the new $1.00 ha ha ha). Can things be improved upon? Absolutely! But as this event keeps growing in size, I'm sure all the little "bugs" will get worked out (no pun intended ha ha).
Speaking of which, "For example: almost every year we give best beetle to the Ruf Bug (deservedly so) but we wanted to change it up this year and pick an air cooled. There were 4 in one area right in the front row, but I wanted to do a lap first to see if there were any others - it's silly to give the award to the first car you see. Went through all the rows and came back, all 4 were gone. So looks like Ruf Bug wins again!"
I agree there were MANY deserving cars, but in their absence, I'm please to accept the "BEST BEETLE" award in their behalf!
Keep up the great work!!
It was my 1st time at this event so that was the only reason I stated that I didn't realize it was open to anyone. Now I know and to be honest, my favorite car wasn't even a VW/Audi so the mix didn't matter, it's just not what I expected initially.
Loved the event and you bet your ass I will be there showing support next year
Guru Motorsports / europeein
I think often people forget how much effort and money goes into putting an event together. Like i said a trophy is not what this show is about, it's the season opener, chill, "hang with your crew" event.
If it wasn't because of an idiot crashing into my car 10 days ago, i would have been there without a doubt.
$5 is nothing for what you get out of DOD.
Accurate dissertation Jason. Next year many complaints will be addressed. Trash, food lines, and awards will be better. And the truth is while the show is put on by hat city dubs and there is a group of people running the show, 98%+ of the planning and responsibility, not to mention the financial investment rests on the shoulders of Jason and his wife.
One point I wanted to touch on was the behavior of the tiny minority on the way to the show. Cruises are fun, but try to keep the speeding and hooning out of it. See you all at the next event! Hopefully we can bring our huge numbers and success to other events.
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster
Chill out on the way to the show, save the dickery for Waterfest