Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

1. Member
      12-15-2011 01:10 PM #1
      So I watched this last night and trying to figure out exactley how this works. So the have guys who are making shine and they have ABC cops hunting down the illegal liqour.

My question is how exactly are you allowed to film criminal activity ie making and running the moonshine for the benefit of making a TV show? What happens when this guy gets caught?

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      12-15-2011 01:13 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by ed rooney View Post
      So I watched this last night and trying to figure out exactley how this works. So the have guys who are making shine and they have ABC cops hunting down the illegal liqour.

My question is how exactly are you allowed to film criminal activity ie making and running the moonshine for the benefit of making a TV show? What happens when this guy gets caught?
      I was wondering the same thing. Or why the producers wouldn't tell the ABC guy where the operation was.

I am not sure if the way the show is produced is the cause but it just all seems so over dramatic to me. I understand it is criminal activity and they are being hunted but it all seems so staged and fake or something.
      Th(e/a)n

3. 12-15-2011 01:17 PM #3
      yea.............. reality tv doesn't depict reality. I haven't seen the show, but I'd venture to say it is 100% staged, just like the rest.

Vehicles
      2000 Plymouth Neon
      12-15-2011 01:17 PM #4
      Someone added this to the DVR here and I've thought about watching it. Aside from your question in this thread would you say that the show is worth watching?

5. Member
      12-15-2011 01:24 PM #5
      The two main charecters crack me up the slightest noise in the woods and they are ducking and covering..I am sure its a fictonal account

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      12-15-2011 01:31 PM #6
      I should calrify, I know reality TV isn't just camera guys following individuals in their actual lives. If you look at a show like Gangland, the way it is produced gives it the feel that fits. This shows feels more like a ......... I don't know, like more of a joke than somthing serious. Starring locals from WV makes it that by default but it just seems like they could have made it .... "darker" I guess?
      Th(e/a)n

7. 12-15-2011 01:43 PM #7
      Reminds me of Million dollar Man Hunt..

DVR'd it thinking it might be cool.. but instead it's totally fake bull****

Vehicles
      2005 gti,1991 gti,1991 gli,1985 diesel golf
      12-31-2011 08:29 PM #8
      the one guy is a volunteer firefighter. i wonder if he still has that job?

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      01-01-2012 01:29 PM #9
      Guys, it's not real.

Moonshiners is a TV series produced by the Discovery Channel that dramatizes the practice of U.S. moonshiners who produce moonshine, an illegal substance that consists of a high proof of alcohol. While no real illegal alcohol is produced on the show, it documents their practice, law-evading techniques, and life.

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      01-04-2012 03:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by standard View Post
      the one guy is a volunteer firefighter. i wonder if he still has that job?
      He's actually the chief.

I like this show, but when I first saw it I was wondering how they could get away with this. So it's not real, apparently he used to make moonshine but is now trying to go legit.

His website: http://timsmithmoonshine.com/
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr