Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone auto cross a b5

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-19-2011 12:54 AM #1
      I'm thinking of entering my 98 passat into an event. Just for fun and to push myself. I understand this 3300 pound car may be the wrong choice but still I wanna give it a go. Anyone else brave enough to do it. If anyone is let's see what you are driving or maybe you could give me some tips.

Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      12-22-2011 10:59 PM #2
      I've ran both autocross and rallycross in my B5 A4, which is bone stock other then the wheels. It really doesn't matter what car you drive at an autocross, unless you are very expierenced your gonna learn alot. I say take your car, enter some events have fun and learn to drive. Remember anyone can drive a fast car slow, learn to drive a slow car fast every run you'll shave time, learn how to read a corner and go from there.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      12-23-2011 08:53 AM #3
      I've seen all manner of odd cars at autocross events. There's a guy in our region who shows up with a HUGE Caddy DeVille. Seriously - a last generation, RWD, but still gigantic version. It's a hoot watching it run the cones. Another guy shows up regularly with a Buick Grand National. These are just a couple of odd auto-x cars I remember off the top of my head. Nobody will bat an eye at a B5.

Add some air in the tires, leave your ego at home, and have fun.

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-23-2011 10:10 PM #4
      I was kinda curious if any body was running one and what kind of configurationyhry were running. Your car looks killer and I'm definitely gonna do it when the season comes around.
      I'm glad to know that I wont be laughed off the course. I was recieving mixed reviews when I mentioned auto crossing my car. But that was probably my fault for posting that in the manor I did.

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      12-24-2011 01:02 AM #5
      Well here's mine this is pretty much stock just a few minor changes. Nothing to suspension.

Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      01-10-2012 11:11 PM #6
      Nobody is gonna laugh because regardless of time, car expierence your actually out trying. Around me all these idiots show up and hard park on there Skylines and proceed to talk about how they would be faster. Sadly they always have the same kinds of excuses. My camber isn't right, boost controller isn't hooked up, tires, etc... Basically every excuse of why they can't run. But then there are guys on the course driving everything from VW's and audi's to stock 4 door civics. The guys actually out driving will never make fun. Just the douchebags who are to scared to drive there fast car slower then the 4 door civic with a carbed d15.

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      01-11-2012 07:04 AM #7
      Ain't that the truth. I appreciate the encouragement. I just ordered new rims (wider) and tires. So I'll be ready when the season begins in my area.

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      01-11-2012 11:40 AM #8
      So you have run rally cross. I am curious about how things go with that. Plus brother your from Canada? So how is the car scene up there?

Plus bad ass Audi man. Looks good.
      Pretty much everyone on the b5 forum is like hating on my passat autocross thoughts. But I only wanna have fun. That's all it's bout.

Well man once again thanks for the feedback.

9. 01-12-2012 10:01 AM #9
      I autocross my B5 A4 regularly in G Stock. Yes, it is one of the heavier cars out there and rather wimpy on power. However, I have a lot of fun with it and it is certainly a challenge to run fast times with a slow car. I've driven faster cars and sometimes that masks bad habits. If you want to learn, you simply need to get seat time. No one is fast their first time out...

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      01-13-2012 10:51 AM #10
      Sounds good I just got new tires and wheels so I am ready and waiting for spring. I wanna show these people who have doubts how a passat can do. So how do you guys do matched up with other faster cars? I know it is mostly driver but hp has a role and that is my concern.

With the classifications I am hoping to still run the stock class

Vehicles
      S4, A4, MK5
      01-17-2012 03:46 PM #11
      Well I placed first in the first rallycross of the season. Ran the silvia in the second one, but blew it up during the first half of the day. The quattro is amazing for rallycross. The traction is awesome.

The car scene in Canada? Well its good, but the place is pretty huge to describe it as a whole. Locally there is a large variety of everything. Just my direct group has everything from old school Toyotas and datsuns to VW's audis, JDM imports and muscle cars. Alot of variety, but we have no tracks to run on. The government acts like cars are evil. I don't know of any road coarses between Mosport way out east and mission on the coast something like 3000miles without a track, which sucks.

As for autocross the car is good, its not a STI but its still competitive enough to not feel like the car is the problem. I'd rather drive a slow car fast the a fast car slow. The car is great it doesn't understeer as bad as the subarus do and can be tossed around very nicely.
      Prior to this car I was running a 75 Celica and am very very glad I didn't have to drive it for the whole season. The bone stock Audi is way way way better.

12. 01-26-2012 11:29 AM #12
      Glad to see someone asking baseline questions since there's usually a long string of bragging rights in these discussions.

Returning to Solo~Solo II/autocross after a long distraction driven by an occupation transfer from an event rich environment
      in the Southeast to Northern (Dallas) and now Southeast Texas (Houston). Back then it was '74 260Z and a '71 510 in DP.

Curious to see the lay of the land between EPS and FS in Texas. At this point I am not finding much in the way of feedback,
      either novice or experienced owners. I chose the '04 B6 S4 4.2 for its torque with minimum differential to the "burning-
      the-candle-at-both-ends" twin-t V6's with respect to weight and balance ratio.

Looking for info....

This forum appears to have a broad enough PAV participants to discuss these things without branding issues.
      Last edited by ScaleAero; 01-28-2012 at 09:13 AM.
      Ed

13. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      01-28-2012 07:10 AM #13

98 a4 2.8l supercharged blue printed balanced motor full suspension. Did well its a ton of fun I run my a4 when my mk3 race car is under the weather. I have to run street mod with all the evos. But it's fun.

I run with Philly reg here in pa
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can
      Supercharged Rwd b5--http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-timeline

14. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      01-28-2012 07:16 AM #14
      my buddies 85 coupe behind me in grid
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

15. 01-28-2012 08:58 AM #15
      Blaz,

Thanks for your feedback. The last photo, with the line up is either tech or is your local indexing
      all classes due to participant number issues? Houston is currently discussing indexing per class.
      This encourages interaction and pushes performance witnessing by potential entrants (visitors)
      by their watching a wide swing in run times.

We have over 6 million people within a 65 miles drive of downtown Houston, TX. We're seeing a
      historical Solo head count of about 70. Being in Pa, especially the Eastside your population is a
      parity...what's your participation numbers?
      Ed

16. 01-28-2012 09:01 AM #16
      Well, I finally figured out editing ;^) They virtually hid the edit button...used to seeing it down at the bottom of a post.

Blaz,

I noticed you are using 1 tower bar and a secondary adjustable load unibody bar. Did it yield greater
      torque transfer with your FWD?

Last edited by ScaleAero; 01-28-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: image
      Ed

17. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      01-28-2012 12:53 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ScaleAero View Post
      Well, I finally figured out editing ;^) They virtually hid the edit button...used to seeing it down at the bottom of a post.

Blaz,

I noticed you are using 1 tower bar and a secondary adjustable load unibody bar. Did it yield greater
      torque transfer with your FWD?

No sir car is a quattro and these photos where from a intermidiate drivers school. 20-25 for schools. Some events we see over 100 cars and I've never see less than that. We have a very active region so we get a lot of participants from other regions. We have 11 events for just out solo series and a few others ( a double cross, a pro solo and a Evo school so I'll be busy
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

18. 01-28-2012 01:09 PM #18
      Your region is very busy, well attended, and diverse. As too often occurs Regions are neglected by
      dominating individuals who do not want competition.... Gee did I just say that? ;^)

Seriously, our Solo Board is brain storming. I recommended integration of dealer networks and offer
      promotional focuses on handling for their comp minded customer/clients either as "get to know your",
      or as legit comp promotion by dealers as an extension of their built in one-ups-manship.

Did the adjustable cross bar yield greater torque transfer when you added it? I don't recall whether an
      adjustment negates my use in ESP. I'm looking to head off push-under steer.
      Ed

19. Banned
      01-29-2012 03:44 PM #19
      Your engine is with a big demand.Great body of your engine.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      01-30-2012 06:44 AM #20
      I honestly didn't notice a difference or can't remember one with strut brace. It was one of first things I bought for my car 4yrs ago for 30bucks off of eBay. More for look but I do have it loaded.
      I also run street modified so having there or not doesn't matter.
      But my a4 won't see autoX course this year I have a aba jetta I've been building since last year. Ran that most of the season. Finished 2nd in class 111/400 drivers with only 6 events. I FSP
      So this year I'm winning a class trophy. I'm going to stay in the jetta all season and take a ride to Nebraska for natonails.
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      01-31-2012 10:54 PM #21
      Blaz,
      Hey man good luck with the Jetta this year. And I'm actually glad to see some posts from you guys. After all the bs I have received I'm glad to see other vw guys autocrossing.

I am thinking of doing a few mods to make my daily driver more competitive while staying nearly stock in classification any ideas or suggestions.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      02-02-2012 07:14 AM #22
      For a 98 passat that's front wheel drive. Sticky tires, either r comps or a good set of street tires ( Dunlop direzza dz101) ****ing awesome tires.
      Rear sway bar. Your aloud to upgrade one sway in stock class do the rear. Black forest makes new sway bars cheap.
      The reason you do the rear is to reduce rear body roll, allowing the front to flop a around a little more.
      Reducing rear roll will give you better traction through any corner under power. And reduce snap oversteer too. It will give you better overall feeling.
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      02-02-2012 12:32 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by b5blazing View Post
      For a 98 passat that's front wheel drive. Sticky tires, either r comps or a good set of street tires ( Dunlop direzza dz101) ****ing awesome tires.
      Rear sway bar. Your aloud to upgrade one sway in stock class do the rear. Black forest makes new sway bars cheap.
      The reason you do the rear is to reduce rear body roll, allowing the front to flop a around a little more.
      Reducing rear roll will give you better traction through any corner under power. And reduce snap oversteer too. It will give you better overall feeling.
      You can only replace your FRONT sway bar in stock classes...
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      02-02-2012 12:38 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by B518tko4 View Post
      Sounds good I just got new tires and wheels so I am ready and waiting for spring. I wanna show these people who have doubts how a passat can do. So how do you guys do matched up with other faster cars? I know it is mostly driver but hp has a role and that is my concern.

With the classifications I am hoping to still run the stock class
      Don't shy away from running in ST or STX... the Stock classes will be dominated by folks running R-compound tires, but if you run in ST you can have a few mods to your car (which really won't make much of a difference) but EVERYONE will be running regular tires, which makes a huge difference since everyone will be on the same footing.

In any case... just go out and do it. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun. Enjoy!
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

25. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      02-02-2012 04:11 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 20DYNAMITE07 View Post
      You can only replace your FRONT sway bar in stock classes...
      I believe they just redid the rule book for some classes so you can change either. I just read it in sports car on the toilet yesterday. So depending on class check
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      02-02-2012 10:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by b5blazing View Post
      For a 98 passat that's front wheel drive. Sticky tires, either r comps or a good set of street tires ( Dunlop direzza dz101) ****ing awesome tires..
      Direzza DZ101s are good tires. Direzza Z1 Star Specs are the "****ing awesome" tires that are one of the top 3 stickiest street tires you can buy. Sometimes there's some confusion with the names. Not sure which you meant.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      02-03-2012 07:32 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      Direzza DZ101s are good tires. Direzza Z1 Star Specs are the "****ing awesome" tires that are one of the top 3 stickiest street tires you can buy. Sometimes there's some confusion with the names. Not sure which you meant.
      Star specs deff are the **** but even the 101 is great. I ran me when I was in st. Now I run r comps in fsp and gained 4-5sec every run
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      02-03-2012 10:43 AM #28
      Well I just bought bridgestone potenza sport not really giving compound any thought head/desk. You guys think they will help much. Plus new rims. What do you think.

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      02-03-2012 10:44 AM #29
      Anyhow the sway bar. Any brand I should stay away from. I really like shine racing stuff is nice but seems tough to find.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      A unicorn
      02-08-2012 07:35 AM #30
      Bfi just introduced stabila bars check them out( bfi is black forest industries not sure on noob level of readers) but they have good reviews and are reasonable priced. Not sure on any to stay away from. But if you do get a sway try to go to a test and tune event do a couple runs with out it. Than install and take couple runs with it in see how it feels.

I went overboard last year and it was my rookie season. If its your first year honestly leave the car stock. Learn the car's personality and tendencys and go from there do what you want to the car to make your self faster.....I myself as well as anyone here can give you advice, but **** we all read tech articals and have prolly been to a novice school or better. But go out have fun talk to old guys like the ones with 15yr pins and ****. That's who you ask for instruction and advice.
      J&J autosport
      Catch me if you can

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      03-21-2012 11:28 AM #31
      Ok so wheels are on and I am waiting now for a local event

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      03-21-2012 05:02 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by B518tko4 View Post
      Ok so wheels are on and I am waiting now for a local event
      What part of PA are you in? If eastern, there's an event in Philly on Sunday, and two events at Hershey Park next Saturday and Sunday.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '72 GT6, '73 1800ES, '64 Mini
      03-23-2012 09:09 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Roadkilled78 View Post
      What part of PA are you in? If eastern, there's an event in Philly on Sunday, and two events at Hershey Park next Saturday and Sunday.
      +1. We're running at the Phillies staduim lots this w/e. Weather looks promising for an AWD car...

Despite the pending "r", I still detailed the car last night...

Vehicles
      98 passat sedan
      04-03-2012 11:42 PM #34
      Central near Pittsburg blairsville seems to be the closest.