Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: hello friends, whats good?

Vehicles
      05 GLI, 09 CBR600RR
      01-02-2012 11:53 PM #141
      how many years back we talking ?

2. 01-03-2012 12:07 AM #142
      umm I think that was 08.

fixed gear has been around forever but when the mash sf DVD came out **** went cray lol I remember bikes on wheels in Kensington back in 09 you couldn't find a bike with gears on the floor.
      Last edited by futur; 01-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.
      crap

Vehicles
      1998 TDI Jetta, 1976 Mercedes 300D, 1957 Bel-air, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1974 Westfalia
      01-03-2012 02:06 AM #143
      Me in a nutshell...

I collect guitars, have a bunch more I dont have pictures of...

2009 Les Paul Standard

1976 Flying V

1932 National Duolian

1935 National Triolian

1961 Gibson SG special

2001 PRS Single cut Brazilian, #223/250

Picked one of these up a couple weeks ago, no pictures yet of my own. Guy I bought it from was a collector, and I had a chance to A/B it with a real 1960 Strat. The custom shop is really freaking close...

I also collect large spiders, dont have pictures of the rest...

and lizards...
      this little guy

looks like this now

But most of my time is spent fixing this...

or garbage trucks...

I'm also into cycling, but I dont take it too seriously, and know nothing about bicycles. Have a Rocky Mountain cyclocross bike that I love, however I am in need of a mountain bike. Usually ride 20km a day after work in the summer. This year I entered the Ride to Conquer Cancer, 200km in two days, not much for the hardcore cyclist, but I'm pretty sure I'll be near death afterwards. Most I've done in a day is around 70km. I've started training though for the ride, so hopefully I'm in good enough shape come June. If you got a couple extra bucks kicking around, everything I fundraise is going towards childrens cancer research, and donations over $10 get a tax receipt. Heres the link -> http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/...nal&fr_id=1401

Look forward to meeting some of you at the shows this year!
      Last edited by Zman86; 01-03-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Vehicles
      The Laffnstalk
      01-03-2012 09:14 AM #144
      Wow, nice Benz!

Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      200km in two days
      Nice! I'm not really into biking any more, but my record is 143 km's in one day, about 12 hours. Would have been more like 9 or 10 if we didn't get caught in a massive thunderstorm and had to take refuge on a nice elderly couples porch. The route I did was the Greater Niagara Circle Route. Started in Welland, down to Port Colborne, then to Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, St Catharines, Thorold, then back home.
      Doing it right is overrated.
      Quote Originally Posted by builtvw View Post
      girls + vw = hot....vw girl from canada...daaaaammmmn
      Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      01-03-2012 09:36 AM #145
      Yo Gill, what do you think of Zman's hobby?
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

6. 01-03-2012 10:12 AM #146
      rad guitars, creepy pets, rad benz.

I've done the rtcc a bunch of times, it's fun. make sure at camp when the steamwhistle booth gives you a beer and they put black marker on your wristband spill some beer on your wrist as you walk away before the permanent marker dries. then you can wipe it off. unlimited beers! lol
      don't worry about the distance, regardless of your skill level it's real easy now as they eliminated a lot of the sideroad climbs from the course. mild long climb on escarpment the end of the first day. just wear proper bike shorts/tights. if you don't normally ride long distances your 'abc' will thank you

we should all do a vortex bike ride in the summer. like a 60km loop, quick couple hours on the bike and then BBQ/beers?
      crap

7. 01-03-2012 10:16 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by ToplessBunny85 View Post

Nice! I'm not really into biking any more, but my record is 143 km's in one day, about 12 hours. Would have been more like 9 or 10 if we didn't get caught in a massive thunderstorm and had to take refuge on a nice elderly couples porch. The route I did was the Greater Niagara Circle Route. Started in Welland, down to Port Colborne, then to Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, St Catharines, Thorold, then back home.
      that sounds fun. I'm not sure of the exact distance but my daily record is in the 200-225km range.

anyone know what the TBN hairshirt is? toronto-niagara-toronto in one day. I wanna try it. I have friends who did it. pain.
      crap

Vehicles
      1998 TDI Jetta, 1976 Mercedes 300D, 1957 Bel-air, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1974 Westfalia
      01-03-2012 10:49 AM #148
      ToplessBunny, I love the Cabby! I probably spent 30 minutes at Vagkraft going over the artwork on the entire car, one of my favorites.

I go up and down the escarpment a fair bit in the summer when I ride to work and back. I'm not too worried about the distance, I have a good pair of shorts and some fancy Italian seat that cost me an arm and a leg, but was completely worth it. I'd efinatly be down for some sort of Vortex bike ride...

Vehicles
      VW GTI 20th AE BMP, 1978 VW Rabbit L
      01-04-2012 12:37 AM #149
      Anyone else have any nails left after that third period?
      Buy My Things!
      Buy My 20th!
      What She Order?
      ლ(•益•ლ) Why you no buy my stuff!?
      78 HÄRE

Vehicles
      02 TDI, 2x84, 1x83, 1x81 Rabbit, 1x80 1x81 1x83 Caddies
      01-04-2012 08:23 AM #150
      umm I think that was 08.

fixed gear has been around forever but when the mash sf DVD came out **** went cray lol I remember bikes on wheels in Kensington back in 09 you couldn't find a bike with gears on the floor.
      whatever the "scene" is in Vancouver typically takes 2 years to get to the Toronto area, so if you want to see the future...

When I helped my friends build the bike shop out there it was the first time I ever saw an $8000, 1 gear, fixed bike (independent fabrications ti frame, carbon fork, phil wood hubs, etc etc)... Now it's like "oh, yeah, you can spend more than a car on a single bicycle, no problem!"
      2002 TDI Rabbit - 80 Caddy - 81 TD Caddy - 83 Caddy - 84 Rabbit - sǝɹɐnbs ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐs - slowpöks
      Homo sapiens breathe in the earth's atmosphere at ~14.69 psi, why shouldn't some of our engines?

11. 01-04-2012 09:10 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by vee_dubb_ya View Post
      whatever the "scene" is in Vancouver typically takes 2 years to get to the Toronto area, so if you want to see the future...

When I helped my friends build the bike shop out there it was the first time I ever saw an $8000, 1 gear, fixed bike (independent fabrications ti frame, carbon fork, phil wood hubs, etc etc)... Now it's like "oh, yeah, you can spend more than a car on a single bicycle, no problem!"
      van can thank the bay area and Seattle for that. and the Internet makes for international trend at this point. new york is london is paris

fashion aside, fixed gears are the first 'safety bicycle' dudes rode the original tour on them. bicycle messengers ride them because they require less maintenance than any other bike as the lack of freewheel and derailleurs eliminates a lot of common mechanical failures and they don't freeze up in the cold.

the recent notion that riding fixed 'makes you a better cyclist' or 'makes you faster' is crap. riding fixed helps you improve your cardio but it also teaches you poor pedal technique as your feet are carried through the pedal stroke at your weakest point via momentum.

@vee_dub_ya you ride? I think we should def do this vortex bike ride come spring.

and yea, people be spending
      money on bikes.

I'm the king of CL bikes.
      crap

Vehicles
      The Laffnstalk
      01-04-2012 12:28 PM #152

we should all do a vortex bike ride in the summer. like a 60km loop, quick couple hours on the bike and then BBQ/beers?
      I like this idea! I need to get rid of my walmart POS and buy a half decent street bike. Lol
      Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

13. 01-04-2012 01:22 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Yo Gill, what do you think of Zman's hobby?
      **** those spiders.

Benz is legit though.

Vehicles
      The Laffnstalk
      01-04-2012 05:00 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      ToplessBunny, I love the Cabby! I probably spent 30 minutes at Vagkraft going over the artwork on the entire car, one of my favorites.
      Thank you! However it's not going to look anything like that come spring.

Back to the topic of critters, here's my beauty. She's a 6 year old Oketee Corn snake. Her name is Mazda ("Volkswagen" just didn't sound like a good pet name ).

Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

Vehicles
      Belgian Rust
      01-04-2012 05:46 PM #155
      Someone say bike ride? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
      Instagram: @Jiggawattjames
      Non-Instagram users!http://statigr.am/jiggawattjames

I used to be cool

Vehicles
      That's so Raven Diesel
      01-04-2012 08:54 PM #156
      sup Jay
      Here's whats good.

Skateboarding is rad.

Keg stands are fun.

Cars, yeahh they're cool.

munchies. nuff said

Welcome to Scarborough bro.

17. 01-04-2012 10:00 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by lrgskate View Post
      sup Jay
      Here's whats good.

Welcome to Scarborough bro.
      haha yo maing forreals tell them about the time you got a ellen degeneres haircut

danny, i have a good plan for you

1. doritos
      2. jerk it
      3. ????
      4. profit

serious tho buy a mk2.
      crap

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 11:15 PM #158
      @vee_dub_ya you ride? I think we should def do this vortex bike ride come spring.
      Yep, year round. Yesterday was a shocker, more so that my "windproof/waterproof" gloves, while good to -15, or so said the package, fail miserably at -20c. I stopped halfway to work, shopped at a Metro, then when I warmed up rode the next half to freeze again. I've done the 2-day MS bike rides (Brampton to Guelph & back, and also the Niagara Falls ride) on my singlespeed cruiser which is sort of embarassing when I keep passing everyone, and last year was the first time to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer...pedalling with paniers full of tools, tubes, tires, etc.

Here's what pics I have available at the moment...it goes without saying the only original bits of these are the frames & forks....

my old Canondale F900 with first-gen Spinergy Spox wheels...this was a rocket, I should have never parted with it. Note the camera's tripod is the only picture I have of my first 83 GTI

The Black Friday (early 90s Rocky Mountain Altitude with horizontal dropouts brazed on; superlight winter beater)

Trek Clyde cruiser aka my pickup truck

Scalpel F900 (for sale)

Trek Oslo, current commuter which is determined to kill me

after a recent community tune-up-fest...

and here's my newest bike. The frame apparently just arrived at the bike shop and is on the display wall...what a tease. It doesn't leave till it's paid for....
      http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...ine-29-sl.html
      2002 TDI Rabbit - 80 Caddy - 81 TD Caddy - 83 Caddy - 84 Rabbit - sǝɹɐnbs ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐs - slowpöks
      Homo sapiens breathe in the earth's atmosphere at ~14.69 psi, why shouldn't some of our engines?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta TDI (Mine) 1996 Honda Accord (Mine) 2001 VW Beetle (Hers)
      01-04-2012 11:19 PM #159
      so yesterday my friends wheel fell off his car (mk3 jetta) and i meet him at the shop, we hoist it..... bolts are all ****ed and rusted and snapped... so i check it out, each wheel is junk and the other rear brake is sized.. fun. so i give him a ride home parts on order.
      today i was bored and school bummed me out a bit so took a little road trip down to toronto, drove around downtown, met up with a buddy and had a beer. turned out good.

also saw a black mk4 jetta, lowered parked on younge by eaton centre.

Vehicles
      mk4 jetta 2.slow(r.i.p),1997 jetta vr6(r.i.p),B4 GLX (r.i.p)
      01-05-2012 02:23 AM #160
      i got mad at work today and punched a steel sheet ....couldnt feel my hand for the rest of the day
      brannon steel ftw

Vehicles
      Belgian Rust
      01-06-2012 09:14 PM #161
      Hey MAO!!!!!!!

Rims were a B!@$# But ite accurate down to the 'vette exaust, diesel residue and red recaro stitching

Slowly getting there hahaha
      Last edited by James1990; 01-06-2012 at 09:48 PM.
      Instagram: @Jiggawattjames
      Non-Instagram users!http://statigr.am/jiggawattjames

I used to be cool

Vehicles
      86GTI/B6Avant/B5.5Wagon
      01-06-2012 11:12 PM #162
      thx James...you def got lotsa talent there!!!! i can see all the stickers, even the side window ones..!!
      STATICSOCIETY

scrapedcrusaders.com

01-06-2012 11:22 PM #163
      Why is it when the temperature rises above 0 degrees my green pail is littered all over the place? Little bastards.

We're still trying to figure out who likes those sausages with the built in cheese. Even the f..king racoons left them alone.

Vehicles
      01-07-2012 09:03 AM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
      Why is it when the temperature rises above 0 degrees my green pail is littered all over the place? Little bastards.

We're still trying to figure out who likes those sausages with the built in cheese. Even the f..king racoons left them alone.
      "my racoons" weren't picky, they went for everything. I used to keep a garden hose inside the back door, hook it up to the laundry tubs, and from the warmth of inside be able to douse them as they wondered where they were getting the ice bath from, then as they scurried across the back yard, then along the fence, then up into the "safety" of the tree. Yes it was cruel and inhumane, but so is making me clean up my own garbage...a second...and third...time

Early morning sunrises are pretty.

Vehicles
      86GTI/B6Avant/B5.5Wagon
      01-07-2012 10:35 AM #165
      i feel your pain.....and dont care how not humane or crap i'll get to get rid of them critters !
      STATICSOCIETY

scrapedcrusaders.com

26. 01-07-2012 11:21 AM #166
      I get annoyed when my garbage is dumped out too but you can't help but respect how hardcore raccoons are. forreals over hundreds of years humans have been building **** where they live. other animals roll out and possibly get extinct due to the inability to adapt. raccoons just chilled out. they didn't leave. o you building a skyscraper where a forest used to be? ima root through the dumpster later kthxbai. hard.
      crap

27. 01-07-2012 11:42 AM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by vee_dubb_ya View Post
      Yep, year round.

The Black Friday (early 90s Rocky Mountain Altitude with horizontal dropouts brazed on; superlight winter beater)

and here's my newest bike. The frame apparently just arrived at the bike shop and is on the display wall...what a tease. It doesn't leave till it's paid for....
      http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/st...ine-29-sl.html
      I HATE winter with passion so no snow commute for me.

I like that commuter with moustache bars. I have a miyata touring im going to be using for poor weather commute this year. I can't remember if I posted it earlier in this thread.

yea I'd like a Ti bike but I can't justify the money when I can spend a bit more and have a custom steel frame built.
      crap

28. 01-07-2012 11:48 AM #168
      ok I didn't post it earlier.

with smooth tires and white fenders.
      I built it completely from spare parts.
      crap

Vehicles
      The Laffnstalk
      01-07-2012 01:08 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by James1990 View Post

Slowly getting there hahaha
      I love how my car is like the mentally challenged one that faces the wrong way when posing for a picture.
      Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 12:28 AM #170
      I HATE winter with passion so no snow commute for me.

I like that commuter with moustache bars. I have a miyata touring im going to be using for poor weather commute this year. I can't remember if I posted it earlier in this thread.

yea I'd like a Ti bike but I can't justify the money when I can spend a bit more and have a custom steel frame built.
      I actually like biking in the snow, but as long as:
      - I'm not going to work (going home is just fine)
      - I'm not on any major road
      - I'm not in a rush to go anywhere...just spin and enjoy the peaceful quiet

The Black Friday was built completely from donated/free/abandoned parts no one wanted from bike upgrades from various bike shops. The rules of the BF are:
      1. the only colour allowed on it is black
      2. you are never allowed to sell it, just pass it on to someone more in need. It's been in 4 people's posession since it's christening in 2001.

The moustache bars are gone now, while they're fun the geometry's also a little wonky for getting really good cranking torque when I drag race cars at lights, given I only have 1 gear. I could seriously twist those guys and you'd hear the bar clamp creak when give'n 'er.

The reasons I settled on the Lynskey are:
      1. I actually got to ride it for an hour in the desert outside Vegas in the fall, so I know it fits me perfectly...in fact, I didn't realize it was a 29er until I got off. haha...it felt like a really nice flowing 26" bike
      2. I can't stand paint getting scratched. Actually, I don't like bikes to look used. My Scalpel is 8 years old and the only signs of wear are the tires, drivetrain, and the smaller fancy bolts you can't get in stainless.
      3. Mr. Lynskey formerly owned Litespeed before they were bought by...Trek, I think....so they're not a fly-by-night hack operation
      4. The frame's damn light. Too bad for 2012 it's 1/2lb heavier...but that just means *I* get to lose more weight to compensate.
      5. It'll likely be the last new bike I ever buy unless I win the lottery

The Miyata's classy. I'm guessing you're 5'10, or slightly taller?

31. 01-08-2012 09:23 AM #171

The Miyata's classy. I'm guessing you're 5'10, or slightly taller?
      good eye but I'm 6'2". the bike is very slightly too small for me. I originally built it up for my brother as a replacement for his beat up SS but he lives downtown and declined it. 'I thought you said it was from leftover parts? that's too nice, it will get stolen' lol with the stem up high and the bars rolled back a bit it's ok-ish for me so I figured I'd ride it a year and then flip it.
      crap

01-08-2012 01:57 PM #172
      All this bike talk. My little man's ride of choice. We The People Arcade 18.

01-08-2012 02:29 PM #173
      I also make sprockets for the kids at the local skate park.

Here's the start of one for a 14 year old "playa". I usually engrave their names.

Last edited by Square1; 01-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Vehicles
      VR6, 1.8T
      01-08-2012 08:31 PM #174
      ^ now that's awesome.

My hobby is what I do for work.

I suddenly feel terribly uninteresting
      dasjettakartell - transcend trend - connoisseurism before consumerism
      vr6coilbracket.com

Sterling Tire Services

Vehicles
      The Laffnstalk
      01-08-2012 08:47 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
      Here's the start of one for a 14 year old "playa".
      You might want to tell him to wait for puberty first.
      Volks R Us
      Scraped Crusaders

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast