Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK4 Manual Swap Electrical Problems

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta 1.8t, 05 mercury sable, mk5
      12-22-2011 02:28 PM #1
      Hello everyone, Im in the middle of a mk4 auto to manual swap but ive hit some snags. The car is a 04 jetta awp with an o2j. I followed the "kill da auto wabbit" thread and the wiring is not correct for the year im working on. I dont use the cruise control so i didnt even mess with the tcm so i just skipped that part. I figured out most of the electrical but im stuck on these issues and if anyone could help i would appreciate it.

The problems i having are:
      -The ecu will not accept the correct manual coding. The diy was off here as well but the vagcom helper told me what the o2j coding was. Every time i change it, it goes back to the auto coding. Do i need an ecu from a manual car?
      -Also the speedometer will not work and the PRNDS is still on the cluster. Do i need a manual cluster as well?
      -The reverse lights arnt working as well but im confident i could figure that wiring work.

Any help would be appreciated
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ggarcia66 View Post
      my daylight and nightlights stay the same all the time are they like that? they are always bright during the day

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6
      09-27-2012 06:46 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Josh.Spenjet04 View Post
      Hello everyone, Im in the middle of a mk4 auto to manual swap but ive hit some snags. The car is a 04 jetta awp with an o2j. I followed the "kill da auto wabbit" thread and the wiring is not correct for the year im working on. I dont use the cruise control so i didnt even mess with the tcm so i just skipped that part. I figured out most of the electrical but im stuck on these issues and if anyone could help i would appreciate it.

The problems i having are:
      -The ecu will not accept the correct manual coding. The diy was off here as well but the vagcom helper told me what the o2j coding was. Every time i change it, it goes back to the auto coding. Do i need an ecu from a manual car?
      -Also the speedometer will not work and the PRNDS is still on the cluster. Do i need a manual cluster as well?
      -The reverse lights arnt working as well but im confident i could figure that wiring work.

Any help would be appreciated
      Thanks

Yes, you will need to change the ECU and Speedo together. Make sure to get the ECU and Speedo off of the same car because they are built to work with eachother.

I am towards the end of doing the swap in my 01 VR6 and don't have all of the info down yet so i'll just give you the link to where I am getting the advise.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4869295

Hope your conversion goes well!
      ~CJ

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta 1.8t, 05 mercury sable, mk5
      02-27-2013 03:31 PM #4
      Thanks for your help CJ!

I was able to complete my swap successfully.

Good luck with yours
      Quote Originally Posted by ggarcia66 View Post
      my daylight and nightlights stay the same all the time are they like that? they are always bright during the day