Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official HID (Head/Fog) Questions/Info Thread

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      12-22-2011 09:45 PM #1
      Made this thread to HOPEFULLY prevent countless threads being made by new people who usually don't search beyond the first page or 2 to see someone else has a thread already about this topic. All other threads can probably be condensed, information wise, into this one... and then the others can be gradually pushed away into an abyss.

In this thread, are questions, answers, pics, tips, etc. I will update this original post with new info or links to parts we can verify works.

If you want to post hateful mess, go start an official HID haters thread, where only people who like to bash others for dropping in lights into reflectors can hang out.

Yes, it is a much better to do a full ((HID Projector Retrofit)), it is safer for oncoming traffic, it looks a LOT better than dropping them in (both in the way the headlight looks and the way the light beams out), AND it is safer for your electrical system to use high quality components such as in the above retrofit link, than to use ebay kits. BUT, since it costs 10 times as much for that... most people start off using drop in lights I am sure. Both are illegal mind you. Only factory installed OEM HID's are technically street legal.

Here is a link to another user's install of his projectors which came out very awesome! ---> Retrofit Thread My recent personal install can be found in my signature.

And here is a link to a post later on in this thread by JohnBarr1 detailing greatly the difference in HID setup types. THe do's and dont's regarding the issue and why it is so. ---> Great info about the topic at hand

But despite all this info a lot of people as I said, install cheap plug and play kits to start off anyways. So in this thread you can ask questions for advice and such.

So anyways!

If you bought a HID kit that worked really well, with no errors, and no other issues, post links so others can check it out.

If you retrofitted, you can post about that too.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start, MK6 Jetta High and low beam lights use H7 bulbs, and the Fogs are 9006 so keep that in mind when ordering kits.

I personally endorse the following products from personal experience. 5000k - 6000k color for best combo of looks and output. For fogs 3000k gives an awesome intense yellow to cut through the rain and fog

*A slim ballast kit from DDM Tuning Buy this with a wiring harness add-on. If you have a GLI the error code eliminators might be useful, non-GLI Jettas do not need them at all. I recommend 5000k color to 6000k @ 35w. H7 bulbs of course.

*DDM Tuning Full Size Raptor kit ---> HID KIT With H7 bulbs, 5000k - 6000k color, and the wiring harness (Make sure you get this) . Came out to 45 dollars USD

Both of the above kits are good, come with lifetime warranties. The slim kit can be stuffed into the headlight housing to be as neat as possible and the full size is a bulletproof design and highest reliability. Your choice.

*The following ballasts are of pretty good quality in case you have another kit already and need a set of replacement ballasts. Thanks to CodyBrown For recommending these ---> AC Digital Ballasts

*other option for Wiring Harness (if you didn't get the harness that can be ordered with the above DDM kit) --> Wire Harness Although youshould have just ordered the DDM Tuning kit with the add on wire harness... This ebay harness works but is super cheap in build quality. Preferably buy the wire harness with the above DDM kit.

*Bulb adapters ---> HID Bulb Adapters This helps with installation of your bulbs so you do not have to cut up your stock metal clips. This is not a necessary purchase but made the install way easier for me compared to the one I did with the stock clips.
      -------------------------
      I adjusted my headlight's angle so that I got good beams of light but not too high to blind people, I rode around and had someone else drive around with me in opposite directions and distances to see if I blinded them.

With this setup, you can light up signs in the far distance on dark sections of the freeway early in the morning or late night. I didn't have a single person flash their high beams at me for blinding them, and I had no errors or issues.

I was able to do the job in about half an hour or so using the above components, zip ties, black electrical tape, and cutters to snip the excess of the zip ties. The quality of the light output is amazing, the cut-off line is nice, very nice! (Although not nearly as good as projectors but still very good!)

Pic of my brothers cutoff, it looks way better in person, the camera does no justice

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a DIY of sorts on how the setup is supposed to be wired up.

It should be (if not using a wiring harness)

-Bulb in place using adapters
      -Two wires coming out of bulb going into ballast
      -wires from stock harness going into an adapter to the other end of the ballast

If you get no light, even after multiple attempts and flicking the lights off and on, then reverse the wires coming from the stock harness.

If you have a wiring harness with your kit,

-Bulb in place using adapters
      -Two wires coming out of bulb to ballast

-Wire harness from battery has different wires, one from battery going into a fuse and then from fuse to a relay and then from relay to both ballasts. Another wire goes from relay to the driver side stock harness which is the trigger to turn the lights on when you hit the headlights on the control knob, nothing plugs into the stock harness of the passenger side. Again, if the terminal is plugged into the stock harness in reverse it wont turn on. each ballast needs to have a negative grounded to the car so if you have the DDM kit and harness, it is as simple as attaching the red and black wire to the battery and running the harness to each side of the car and plug it into the ballasts. If you use a cheapy harness that only has a positive hooking up to battery and makes you find a ground at each ballast area, then find a spot to tie into nearby each housing.
      Last edited by azthegame; 03-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta 2.5L SE w/Convenience and Sunroof
      12-22-2011 10:18 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      Made this thread for someone to hopefully make a sticky thread out of it to HOPEFULLY prevent countless threads being made by new people who usually don't search beyond the first page or 2 to see someone else has a thread already about this topic. All other threads can probably be condensed, information wise, into this one... and then the others can be gradually pushed away into an abyss.

In this thread, are questions, answers, pics, tips, etc.

If you want to post hateful mess, go start an official HID haters thread, where only people who like to bash others for dropping in lights into reflectors can hang out.

Yes, it is a much better to do a full HID Projector Retrofit, it is safer for oncoming traffic, it looks a LOT better than dropping them in (both in the way the headlight looks and the way the light beams out), AND it is safer for your electrical system to use high quality components such as in the above retrofit link, than to use ebay kits. BUT, since it costs 4 to 5 times as much for that... most people start off using drop in lights I am sure. Both are illegal mind you. Only factory installed OEM HID's are technically street legal.

So anyways!

If you bought a HID kit that worked really well, with no errors, and no other issues, post links so others can check it out.

If you retrofitted, you can post about that too.

I will start, I bought a slim ballast kit from DDM Tuning, ended up using only the ballasts from that since the bulbs seemed a little hard to get in there and I bought new bulbs --> HERE hoping they would be easier, but they weren't lol.

6000k light although kind of wishing I got 4500-5000k now.
      I also got this --> Wire Harness Although I should have just ordered my DDM Tuning kit with the add on wire harness and made those bulbs work instead of cutting them up and buying new ones lol

I adjusted my headlight's angle so that I got good beams of light but not too high to blind people, I rode around and had someone else drive around with me in opposite directions and distances to see if I blinded them.

I recently (this evening) installed a new kit for my Fogs... I used this kit ---> Here I ordered these with 3000k bulbs.

With my current setup, I can light up signs in the far distance on dark sections of the freeway on my way to work early in the morning. I haven't had a single person flash their high beams at me for blinding them, and I have no errors or issues.

MK6 Jetta High and low beam lights use H7 bulbs, and the Fogs are 9006 so keep that in mind when ordering kits.
      WELL SAID!

Bump!
      2012 Jetta 2.5 SE w/Convenience & Sunroof - Platinum Gray Metallic.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GLI
      12-22-2011 10:49 PM #3
      Can I see the beam pattern against a garage or wall?

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MY12 Jetta 147TSI
      12-22-2011 11:15 PM #4
      Great thread!

12-23-2011 01:34 AM #5
      Thank you for doing this. Thread is now sticky.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

6. 12-23-2011 01:36 AM #6
      nice thread, support!

So, did you drop in load resistor across or directly plug and play?

7. Member
      12-23-2011 07:05 AM #7
      nice work ... me too i will put this pakage in my jetta 2012 BI-XENON FX-R STAGE IV KIT

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=205

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      12-23-2011 08:48 AM #8
      nice work on the ddm kit. did you get the 35 or 55w kit? would you know if the hid harness is needed for the mkvis? i'm pretty sure the error eliminator is.

Vehicles
      Jetta VI 2.5L
      12-23-2011 10:01 AM #9
      Finally we get our section's first sticky!

Thanks to Flyin for the awesome moderating over the past few days -- sh*t has been gettin' pretty tense recently!

Vehicles
      12-23-2011 05:05 PM #10
      I got the 35w kit. They say the 55w one washes out the color, and I figure 55w is the real reason so many people are out there blinding people so i opted for 35w.

Yes the harness was a must for me, the gauge of the stock wire to the headlights is super thin... I tried not using it first and I would get intermittent firing on one of the lights, and flicker. Once I put the harness it went away and works every time. I did not add a load resistor and no error code eliminators were needed. No codes are thrown on my 2.5 SEL. On a GLI you probably would since I hear it is more nitpicky with HID lights and errors.

As for the beam pattern, my driveway is kind of uneven and I haven't found a good place other than work to have a big white wall. I can't go there at night so I need to find another place to go to simply beam my lights.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-23-2011 06:23 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by regina105 View Post
      nice thread, support!

So, did you drop in load resistor across or directly plug and play?
      I got a pair of harnesses with built in load resistors and I immediately cut them out when both resistors got so hot that they were both smoking and melting the plastic around those wires going into them. I too do not have any lights so I say you for sure do not need them.

12-23-2011 07:56 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SimpleStaple View Post

Thanks to Flyin for the awesome moderating over the past few days -- sh*t has been gettin' pretty tense recently!
      You're welcome. Happy Holidays guys.
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      12-23-2011 11:05 PM #13
      For the record, when using any HID headlight in a reflector housing you not only risk blinding people in front of you or in oncoming lane(s) you also risk blinding people to the right and left of you when you pass. HID headlights are just not meant to be used in a reflector housing, regardless of how you aim them or what your buddy says when he drives past you. I'm not trying to bash anyone for doing it, I'm just stating facts as I've been blinded myself by many failed attempts at dropping HIDs into reflector housings...

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta
      12-24-2011 12:06 AM #14
      [QUOTE=20vTurboGLI;75068218]For the record, when using any HID headlight in a reflector housing you not only risk blinding people in front of you or in oncoming lane(s) you also risk blinding people to the right and left of you when you pass. HID headlights are just not meant to be used in a reflector housing, regardless of how you aim them or what your buddy says when he drives past you. I'm not trying to bash anyone for doing it, I'm just stating facts as I've been blinded myself by many failed attempts at dropping HIDs into reflector housings...[/QUOT

Well We knew someone couldnt resist or wouldnt read what the thread was about lol Congrats to 20vTurboGLI lmao anyway I dont care what anyone says bad about reflecters. These days some halogens are just as blinding as HID's. Who cares lol HID's look good

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta
      12-24-2011 12:13 AM #15

5000k HID's With AC current Ballasts with external igniters. Best Ballasts I have purchased and they were the cheapest I have purchased. Very nice start-up and they stay very cool. I concealed my whole kit in each light housing without drilling a single hole in my headlight housing. Btw I did not use any extra wire harness and I have no codes whatsoever. You dont need a harness unless you are putting HID's in your fogs and your headlights because that would give too much electrical strain.

Here is the link from ebay for the Ballasts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9-16V-35W...#ht_4283wt_952
      Last edited by Codybrown; 12-24-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Vehicles
      12-24-2011 09:19 PM #16
      Hey cody, put a new link cause that one is not valid anymore. My ballasts I bought for the fogs are crap. One shorted out and I am getting a warranty replacement

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta
      12-24-2011 11:24 PM #17
      I bought a 55 watt 6000k HID kit from ddm tuning. i had the hids installed. When i try to turn them on they go on for a split second and then turn off. I have to flick them on and off about 5 or 6 times before they will fire up correctly and stay on.

Any ideas how I can fix this so the hids turn on the first time i flip the switch?

Vehicles
      12-24-2011 11:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by MaxBlock88 View Post
      I bought a 55 watt 6000k HID kit from ddm tuning. i had the hids installed. When i try to turn them on they go on for a split second and then turn off. I have to flick them on and off about 5 or 6 times before they will fire up correctly and stay on.

Any ideas how I can fix this so the hids turn on the first time i flip the switch?
      Get a wire relay harness. Like the one I posted I used in my original post

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-25-2011 03:13 PM #19
      Get a wire relay harness. Like the one I posted I used in my original post

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Volkswagen Jetta
      12-25-2011 10:07 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Codybrown View Post

5000k HID's With AC current Ballasts with external igniters. Best Ballasts I have purchased and they were the cheapest I have purchased. Very nice start-up and they stay very cool. I concealed my whole kit in each light housing without drilling a single hole in my headlight housing. Btw I did not use any extra wire harness and I have no codes whatsoever. You dont need a harness unless you are putting HID's in your fogs and your headlights because that would give too much electrical strain.

Here is the link from ebay for the Ballasts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9-16V-35W...#ht_4283wt_952
      Alright sorry about the Link problem! First off go to ebay. Then Copy the fallowing text and paste in in the search box: 35W Fog Light HID Replacement Slim AC Digital Ballasts New 2012 Model

Or a new link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9-16V-35W...#ht_4283wt_952

Vehicles
      12-26-2011 02:44 PM #21
      Thanks, even though I am getting warranty replacement on the one that went bad on me for my fogs, I bought a set of the ones you posted.

As for the little metal clips that hold the bulb in place, I found a pre-cut reticent so you can keep your stock ones intact.
      Bulb holders

These look like they should work
      Last edited by azthegame; 12-31-2011 at 09:55 PM.

22. 12-26-2011 03:29 PM #22
      Does anyone/everyone here think that eventually we'll see mass-produced HID aftermarket options produced by a company?

I am not a DIYer by any stretch and would much prefer an out-of-the-box solution.

If someone will make it, what's the general timeline? 1 year after the car is released? end of 2012? estimated price based on your expert opinion?

Vehicles
      12-26-2011 04:48 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by kuba View Post
      Does anyone/everyone here think that eventually we'll see mass-produced HID aftermarket options produced by a company?

I am not a DIYer by any stretch and would much prefer an out-of-the-box solution.

If someone will make it, what's the general timeline? 1 year after the car is released? end of 2012? estimated price based on your expert opinion?
      I would hope so soon. The DIY aspect of it is what keeps me away from it, not the cost.

I would assume it would be pretty expensive, 400 for kit, plus 500+ for the headlight housings themselves, plus the cost of assembling them for you.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-26-2011 05:33 PM #24
      I would hope so soon. The DIY aspect of it is what keeps me away from it, not the cost.

I would assume it would be pretty expensive, 400 for kit, plus 500+ for the headlight housings themselves, plus the cost of assembling them for you.
      Disapprove, I want now!

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      12-26-2011 07:24 PM #25
      Edit: wrong forum
      Last edited by newBoost; 12-26-2011 at 07:32 PM.
      2012 Deep Black Metallic GLI 6MT

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-26-2011 08:37 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by newBoost View Post
      Edit: wrong forum
      Nope it's fine here.

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      12-28-2011 03:14 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vTurboGLI View Post
      For the record, when using any HID headlight in a reflector housing you not only risk blinding people in front of you or in oncoming lane(s) you also risk blinding people to the right and left of you when you pass. HID headlights are just not meant to be used in a reflector housing, regardless of how you aim them or what your buddy says when he drives past you. I'm not trying to bash anyone for doing it, I'm just stating facts as I've been blinded myself by many failed attempts at dropping HIDs into reflector housings...
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-28-2011 06:08 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post

Vehicles
      12-28-2011 06:15 PM #29
      Thank you 20vTurboGLI and JohnIBarr01 for your calm input. I appreciate that you have decided to reiterate what I mentioned in my OP. Drop in HID's have a higher likelyhood of blinding people opposed to projectors.

But both are blinding if not aimed correctly... and both are not street legal...

I pay attention nowadays to every vehicle with blinding light and most are actually projectors or poorly aimed halogen light.

I still want projectors and will be looking to getting it done sometime this year. But will help anyone looking to go the drop in way if I can.

edit: Why Fussgus?! lol

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-28-2011 08:34 PM #30
      Thank you 20vTurboGLI and JohnIBarr01 for your calm input. I appreciate that you have decided to reiterate what I mentioned in my OP. Drop in HID's have a higher likelyhood of blinding people opposed to projectors.

But both are blinding if not aimed correctly... and both are not street legal...

I pay attention nowadays to every vehicle with blinding light and most are actually projectors or poorly aimed halogen light.

I still want projectors and will be looking to getting it done sometime this year. But will help anyone looking to go the drop in way if I can.

edit: Why Fussgus?! lol

I heard my name, say what?

Vehicles
      12-28-2011 09:41 PM #31
      The thumbs down you gave lol. Don't want to antagonize that guy.

AND to add to the thread's content, I can say everyone should avoid any kits that have DC ballasts and made of plastic.

Go for AC ballasts, sealed metal construction.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      12-28-2011 10:05 PM #32
      The thumbs down you gave lol. Don't want to antagonize that guy.

AND to add to the thread's content, I can say everyone should avoid any kits that have DC ballasts and made of plastic.

Go for AC ballasts, sealed metal construction.
      I just didn't want to say what you just said because my words wouldn't be so friendly

Vehicles
      01-05-2012 06:24 AM #33
      So I am looking to buy a light to put in my high beams to try and match the color or my HIDs in the low. I believe people say Phillips Xtreme power and GE Nighthawks Platinum are the best. I was leaning towards the nighthawks but both seem to have extremely short bulb life, even though it is the high beams which rarely get used anyways, I was looking for something else possibly. Ran across HOD (High Definition Olive Lamps) lights, made by Oracle, supposedly the lumen output is 2200 or so, and the color temp comes in 3000k or 5500k. Lifespan is said to be better than the high power halogens.

Anyone know anyone who has them or have an opinion on these?

Here is a pic of someone who has them in their low beams

Here is the cutoff line with them in low beam

Here is a link to the site for the product
      HOD Blubs

Vehicles
      Mk.6. 2013 Mondeo Hybrid. 2014 Mondeo Hybrid. Jeep 4x4. 300C HEMI (FS).
      01-05-2012 11:14 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by SimpleStaple View Post
      First sticky of this section is for drop-in HID's...

Wow. This place sucks.
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

01-06-2012 01:05 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      First sticky of this section is for drop-in HID's...

Wow. This place sucks.
      If you don't have anything productive to say then please stay off the thread. Thank you.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast