Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Results 211 to 245 of 282

    Thread: Official HID (Head/Fog) Questions/Info Thread

    1. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      04-11-2012 07:54 AM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by nickb488 View Post
      One more thing. Putting a 10k bulb in my stock headlight Which is a 5k won't ruin anything? Someone had said that it would make the wiring run hotter and possibly melt wires?


      2012 Jetta 2.5 SE w/conv
      ok i had 30k with 55wat ballasts and 10k fogs on my mk4 and had 0 problems
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    2. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Cypress, TX
      Posts
      73
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-11-2012 11:02 PM #212
      I don't think we will have any problems since our system are 55watts ? any way or at least are able to handle 55 watts.

    3. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      04-12-2012 01:34 AM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by Cillie View Post
      I don't think we will have any problems since our system are 55watts ? any way or at least are able to handle 55 watts.
      u dont think i no,bc right now i run 55wats with harness and error but I got GLi it might work on any other model
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    4. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Cypress, TX
      Posts
      73
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-12-2012 01:51 AM #214
      So the GLI model has a different sensor system the SE then like the Audis then.

    5. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      04-12-2012 07:33 AM #215
      GLI is the only one that is picky about bulbs. If you have an S, SE, SEL, or TDI it should not matter what you put on it, it wont give a bulb out warning.

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Miami fl
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      Vw jetta se
      04-13-2012 09:27 AM #216
      Quote Originally Posted by Codybrown View Post
      do you think you can make a DIY on how you installed your brothers setup? I purchased it and wantt to do it myself. thanks!!

      Im glad they worked out for you! Mine are still running strong those ballasts are pretty good..[/QUOTE]

      What wattage did you use 35 or 55??

    7. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      04-14-2012 01:18 PM #217
      It doesn't matter what wattage you use. Either one will work, 55w is just way brighter than 35. 35 is all you need though. 55w hid kits on stock halogen reflector bowls trend to throw out way too much glare to other drivers.

    8. Member aerohead06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2012
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-14-2012 02:18 PM #218
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      It doesn't matter what wattage you use. Either one will work, 55w is just way brighter than 35. 35 is all you need though. 55w hid kits on stock halogen reflector bowls trend to throw out way too much glare to other drivers.

    9. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2012
      Posts
      44
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli
      05-03-2012 10:50 AM #219
      Found the answer guys! Usp Motorsports 99buck Hid Kit = NO ERRORS. Just installed there 35watt 6k in to my low beams of my 2012 jetta gli autobahn what a bitchhhh to install. I had to drop the bumper and take the lights out to re use the metal clip for the hid bulb to lock in. The supplied plastic locking clip un-stated because of lack of instructions is not able to work on mk6 jettas guess I was the test subject on this.. I almost returned it but gave it another shot and it works no errors so I'm happy but 35watt 6k is more of a pure white coming from a g35 with a 6k with a hint of blue.

    10. Member aerohead06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2012
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      05-03-2012 01:02 PM #220
      Quote Originally Posted by vwdubyo View Post
      Found the answer guys! Usp Motorsports 99buck Hid Kit = NO ERRORS. Just installed there 35watt 6k in to my low beams of my 2012 jetta gli autobahn what a bitchhhh to install. I had to drop the bumper and take the lights out to re use the metal clip for the hid bulb to lock in. The supplied plastic locking clip un-stated because of lack of instructions is not able to work on mk6 jettas guess I was the test subject on this.. I almost returned it but gave it another shot and it works no errors so I'm happy but 35watt 6k is more of a pure white coming from a g35 with a 6k with a hint of blue.
      You just made the install a lot harder for yourself because all that wasn't needed, its a simple install. There's a link IN THIS THREAD to buy metal bulb adapters.

    11. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-03-2012 01:05 PM #221
      Quote Originally Posted by aerohead06 View Post
      You just made the install a lot harder for yourself because all that wasn't needed, its a simple install. There's a link IN THIS THREAD to buy metal bulb adapters.
      at least he got it done though

      And no errors and no flickering? If so, excellent!

    12. Member aerohead06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2012
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      05-03-2012 01:10 PM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      at least he got it done though

      And no errors and no flickering? If so, excellent!
      True that

      I'd like updates in a few weeks tho

    13. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      05-03-2012 09:51 PM #223
      this is how mine looks like no error with error cancellor(capacitor), error with harness
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    14. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2012
      Posts
      44
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli
      05-04-2012 02:53 AM #224
      There is no flicker and no errors and its never even false started im pretty happy with it. I honestly thought there wasn't a kit out there but I found it. The ballasts are pretty slim and its a decent kit I have to upload some pics threw my iphone. I installed some ziza yellow fogs and drl led,city light,and license plate all with no errors.

    15. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2012
      Posts
      44
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli
      05-04-2012 02:59 AM #225


      This is a pic from my iphone I need to take a pic with my real cam tomorrow lol. It kinda looks like there both different colors but thats either from them warming up or my iphone lol there both pretty diamond white with a bit of blue.
      Last edited by vwdubyo; 05-04-2012 at 03:03 AM.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      311
      Vehicles
      2011 jetta tdi
      05-04-2012 03:34 PM #226
      will be ordering ddm hid kits shortly.

      now should i do 3000 k fogs or 5000????? i can't decide!!!

    17. Member aerohead06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2012
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      05-04-2012 03:44 PM #227
      Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      will be ordering ddm hid kits shortly.

      Now should i do 3000 k fogs or 5000????? I can't decide!!!
      3kay all day

    18. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      05-04-2012 05:44 PM #228
      Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      will be ordering ddm hid kits shortly.

      now should i do 3000 k fogs or 5000????? i can't decide!!!
      3k it will pass through fog alot better than white
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    19. Junior Member ddrakejr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2012
      Location
      frackville, pa
      Posts
      47
      Vehicles
      2012 gli
      05-07-2012 12:04 AM #229
      i have 2012 gli and installed 6k 35w and had flikering and had problems throwing codes to where i had to clear codes thru vag-com to make passenger light even work again. while looking thru vcds i found settings for hid's and also headlight voltage after changing from stock voltage setting of 12.8 to disabled they no longer flickered at all . no i dont have harness and use slim ballasts and also have no bulb out warning.
      2012 Tornado red gli autobahn wth nav 6/sp
      APR Stage 2 ECU / APR Carbonio Intake Stage 1 and 2 / APR Downpipe
      Ross-Tech HEX+CAN USB
      Schuylkill County, PA

    20. Member MoparDubDude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix, Az
      Posts
      1,797
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn FS, 2010 Jetta Wolf RS, 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
      05-07-2012 02:53 AM #230
      Quote Originally Posted by ddrakejr View Post
      i have 2012 gli and installed 6k 35w and had flikering and had problems throwing codes to where i had to clear codes thru vag-com to make passenger light even work again. while looking thru vcds i found settings for hid's and also headlight voltage after changing from stock voltage setting of 12.8 to disabled they no longer flickered at all . no i dont have harness and use slim ballasts and also have no bulb out warning.
      Thats good to know. I am considering HIDs

      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      Current: 2013 GLI Autobahn FS, 2010 Jetta Wolf RS DSG, 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
      Past: 2012 GLI Autobahn TR, 2011 Jetta SE, 2009 Jetta S, 2008 GTI 4dr, 2006 Passat

    21. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-07-2012 05:38 AM #231
      Quote Originally Posted by MoparDubDude View Post
      Thats good to know. I am considering HIDs

      Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
      It doesn't apply to you since you have a SE. GLI's are the only ones that have to be modded to make most hid's work. Just buy any decent quality kit discussed in this thread and use a wire harness and you are set

    22. Member MoparDubDude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix, Az
      Posts
      1,797
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI Autobahn FS, 2010 Jetta Wolf RS, 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
      05-07-2012 11:09 AM #232
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      It doesn't apply to you since you have a SE. GLI's are the only ones that have to be modded to make most hid's work. Just buy any decent quality kit discussed in this thread and use a wire harness and you are set
      I need to update my sig. I just traded the SE in last week on a '12 GLI Autobahn.
      Last edited by MoparDubDude; 05-07-2012 at 11:13 AM.
      Current: 2013 GLI Autobahn FS, 2010 Jetta Wolf RS DSG, 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
      Past: 2012 GLI Autobahn TR, 2011 Jetta SE, 2009 Jetta S, 2008 GTI 4dr, 2006 Passat

    23. 05-09-2012 12:49 PM #233
      The DDM harness you guys are talking about, is that the relay one for the battery? Thanks!

    24. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-09-2012 05:21 PM #234
      Yes

    25. Junior Member ddrakejr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2012
      Location
      frackville, pa
      Posts
      47
      Vehicles
      2012 gli
      05-13-2012 02:03 AM #235
      heres my car 6k lows and 3k fogs no harnesses or flikering



      Last edited by ddrakejr; 05-13-2012 at 02:09 AM.
      2012 Tornado red gli autobahn wth nav 6/sp
      APR Stage 2 ECU / APR Carbonio Intake Stage 1 and 2 / APR Downpipe
      Ross-Tech HEX+CAN USB
      Schuylkill County, PA

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2006
      Location
      908 NJ
      Posts
      200
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      05-16-2012 09:16 PM #236
      ok so with the DDM kit and DDM harness positive and negative leads go right to battery....drivers side bulb has red and black that plug into the stock car harness. the passenger side bulb leads, red and black go where? i left them unplugged (from the stock harness) and only go drivers side. i plugged passenger side INTO stock harness (to mimic drivers side) and only got drivers side.

    27. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      05-16-2012 09:37 PM #237
      Quote Originally Posted by tankisarockstar View Post
      ok so with the DDM kit and DDM harness positive and negative leads go right to battery....drivers side bulb has red and black that plug into the stock car harness. the passenger side bulb leads, red and black go where? i left them unplugged (from the stock harness) and only go drivers side. i plugged passenger side INTO stock harness (to mimic drivers side) and only got drivers side.
      did u get dual in and out harness with 2 relays
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2006
      Location
      908 NJ
      Posts
      200
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      05-17-2012 08:08 AM #238
      Quote Originally Posted by AndriyNYW View Post
      did u get dual in and out harness with 2 relays
      i purchased the harness that DDM offers with the kits, which says HID Harness Dual In/ Dual Out

    29. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      05-17-2012 08:30 AM #239
      Quote Originally Posted by tankisarockstar View Post
      i purchased the harness that DDM offers with the kits, which says HID Harness Dual In/ Dual Out
      well then red goes to battery, black to - on battery, one plug goes to the ballast and from ballast to the stock harness and same with other side

      something like this
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2006
      Location
      908 NJ
      Posts
      200
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      05-17-2012 11:45 AM #240
      The picture you posted is not the picture from ddm...but the harness is in that pic. I did a test fit last week and after 6 on/off via the switch both bulbs turned on. At that point I left my standard passenger side bulb in not realizing it till I ripped the kit out.

    31. Member AndriyNYW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2011
      Posts
      559
      Vehicles
      12GLi2.0Tautobahn(CW) ~yaya shnelya das iz fantastizh~
      05-17-2012 11:50 AM #241
      Quote Originally Posted by tankisarockstar View Post
      The picture you posted is not the picture from ddm...but the harness is in that pic. I did a test fit last week and after 6 on/off via the switch both bulbs turned on. At that point I left my standard passenger side bulb in not realizing it till I ripped the kit out.
      i no, but it explains eveerything how to connect and stuff.... i have nothing in my passenger side right now on my Gli. haha
      VDuB !N I)@ H@u$
      AT

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2006
      Location
      908 NJ
      Posts
      200
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      05-17-2012 12:19 PM #242
      Ok so like I originally posted does anyone know of the 2 leads the red and black ones with the spade connectors coming out of the passenger side HID bulb plug into the stock harness of the headlight

    33. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-17-2012 05:26 PM #243
      Its there in case you don't use a wire harness probably. The two leads coming out the bulb connect to the ballast and the wire harness connects to the other port in the ballast. For the passenger side...

      For the driver side, the wire harness connects to the ballast, the bulb connects to ballast, and the extra relay connector connects using the spade connector stuff, from relay plug to the stock harness inside the driver headlight.

      Doing that should provide flicker free hid goodness

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2006
      Location
      908 NJ
      Posts
      200
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit. 11 Jetta SE with Convience and roof. .
      05-17-2012 06:38 PM #244
      Ok so the red and black leads from the drivers side bulb go into the cars stock socket. The other plugs go into the harness/ballast configuration. Do the red and black leads on the passenger side bulb go into the cars stock socket as well?

    35. Member azthegame's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2011
      Location
      Arlington, TX
      Posts
      1,065
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      05-17-2012 06:47 PM #245
      I believer there are only two wires coming from the bulb itself, with amp style connectors. The other black and red leads are ran into the rubber thing but have a connector on one end and leads on the other. One end goes into driver stock harness, the other end into the relay coming from the wire harness. Nothing plugs into the passenger stock harness.

    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •