Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NUBWORKS ABA LRI Intermanicooler AWIC build.

1. 06-19-2012 12:16 PM #141
      Not pretty but it will work, a tip for any mark one owners, along the pinch weld on the rockers are two or more slots, that a standard U- bracket will fit into perfectly.

This allows you to only drill one hole per bracket instead of two two mount the bracket that holds the hardlines to the backside of the rocker.

The hardlines can be had in 8 foot sections @ Home Depot for 6.00 a line.

Will run braided PVC tubing from McMaster Carr for the rest of the plumbing!.

2. 06-19-2012 12:24 PM #142
      Pics of the plumbing from resevoir to hardlines tomorrow.
      Last edited by jettred3; 06-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.

3. Junior Member
      06-19-2012 04:49 PM #143
      this thread is relevant to my interests...

Subscribed ABA 4 lyfe yo

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      06-20-2012 03:09 PM #145
      What's the thought on the "catch can" orientation like that? Seems like it will never fill, just backwash into the crank case.

5. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Vehicles
      a few.
      06-20-2012 03:16 PM #146
      yea, agreed. should go to the top.
      www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

6. 06-20-2012 04:29 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by nothing-leaves-stock View Post
      yea, agreed. should go to the top.
      Hahaha, I was rushing to go out the door to work, obviously it will be flipped, I may have been a bit "sleepy". Was rushing to throw the whole engine back together w/out internals for the pic.

I am not a dumbass, a better question is where should I have Nub tap the Valve cover for the top feed to the can?

7. 06-20-2012 04:30 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by d-bot View Post
      What's the thought on the "catch can" orientation like that? Seems like it will never fill, just backwash into the crank case.
      No thought at all, I was just rushing, to get this mocked up, and slapped the can on the coolant flange without thinking.

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      06-20-2012 05:10 PM #149
      Well if you are rushing then you must be doing it right. Carry on.

9. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      06-24-2012 12:45 AM #151
      You should try and re-orient the center section so that drain is more vertical. Other than that, carry on.

10. 06-24-2012 10:23 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Pat @ Pitt Soundworks View Post
      You should try and re-orient the center section so that drain is more vertical. Other than that, carry on.
      Yep, you guys are sharp, lots of little things will be tweaked on final install.

Yep I will clock the CHRA, so it will drain right.

Also, switched everything around, turbo will be bottom mounted, as it helps clear the firewall and puts the compressor outlet in the middle of the valve cover to eliminate any bends.

11. 06-25-2012 02:33 PM #153
      Updates Turbo will be bottom mounted, may need to source a smaller wastegate.....

Mockup was done without the PTE 5557E it is 4bolt

I need to source proper length oil lines, comments? Its starting to come together, update from Nub soon.

12. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      06-25-2012 03:33 PM #154
      center section is upside-down lol

13. 06-25-2012 04:42 PM #155
      Always will be just for you Pat.

14. 06-25-2012 04:43 PM #156
      Small port is oil feed, large is oil return no?

15. 06-27-2012 10:15 AM #157

I think this is gonna give it the best flow we can possibly get!

Dude, Am I crazy? I really don't thing the front of the core area is short enough to clear your hood! I'm scared.... Anyway here's the plenum shape I'm gonna try and roll...... It's about our only option

It's gonna keep the air speed up, instead of coming out of the awic and falling on its face, like a velocity stack, how the bell sucks the air from around the lip? That radius is gonna pull the air torward the runners, With the flat lip it would have made a lot of turbulence

16. 06-27-2012 10:37 AM #158
      missing a bolt on the cam gear.

carry on then.

17. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      06-27-2012 10:39 AM #159
      Lol.

Tell Justin to hurry up.

18. 06-27-2012 11:15 AM #160
      Lol.

Tell Justin to hurry up.
      Good catch Richard, I have no clue where that went.

Anyone have an extra?

19. 06-27-2012 01:23 PM #161
      Are you going to be able to get to all of the intake manifold bolts to install this thing?

Also, I'm curious why you guys welded on that extra plate (with the 180* bend) from the bottom of the intercooler core to the top of the velocity stacks.

Otherwise, nice work

20. 06-27-2012 01:29 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by leebro61 View Post
      Are you going to be able to get to all of the intake manifold bolts to install this thing?

Also, I'm curious why you guys welded on that extra plate (with the 180* bend) from the bottom of the intercooler core to the top of the velocity stacks.

Otherwise, nice work
      It's gonna keep the air speed up, instead of coming out of the awic and falling on its face, like a velocity stack, how the bell sucks the air from around the lip? That radius is gonna pull the air torward the runners, With the flat lip it would have made a lot of turbulence

21. 06-27-2012 02:01 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by jettred3 View Post
      If that's how you guys think it will work, then by all means

edit - so as not to sound like a complete ass, let me see if I can run a quick simulation sometime in the next few days to show you what I'm implying
      Last edited by leebro61; 06-27-2012 at 03:28 PM.

22. 06-27-2012 03:32 PM #164
      If that's how you guys think it will work, then by all means

edit - so as not to sound like a complete ass, let me see if I can run a quick simulation sometime in the next few days to show you what I'm implying
      Sound good, can you just say whats on your mind?

23. 06-27-2012 04:04 PM #165
      Sound good, can you just say whats on your mind?
      Sure. The plenum should be a DIFFUSER, meaning you want to REDUCE velocity from inlet (intercooler) to outlet (runner inlets). To do this effectively, you want the cross section to increase gradually. If you can efficiently reduce velocity you should see a pressure/density INCREASE. This is what you want.

That last picture you posted is great. It actually shows that the cross sectional area of the diffuser decreases up until the end of that extra wall (~2 o'clock in the picture), so you're going to accelerate the flow up to that point and take lots of pressure loss around that turn.

Here is a general comment that's not directed at anyone in particular, but something that I continually see on internet forums: People with absolutely no fluid mechanics background are willing to speculate (and with absolute certainty!) how air will flow in and around objects. In comparison, I work with people with aerodynamics based Phds and 20 years of experience who are less willing to speculate about fluid flow. In reality it's just a very complex, non-linear phenomenon and it's generally non-intuitive...

24. 06-27-2012 04:10 PM #166
      Sure. The plenum should be a DIFFUSER, meaning you want to REDUCE velocity from inlet (intercooler) to outlet (runner inlets). To do this effectively, you want the cross section to increase gradually. If you can efficiently reduce velocity you should see a pressure/density INCREASE. This is what you want.

That last picture you posted is great. It actually shows that the cross sectional area of the diffuser decreases up until the end of that extra wall (~2 o'clock in the picture), so you're going to accelerate the flow up to that point and take lots of pressure loss around that turn.

Here is a general comment that's not directed at anyone in particular, but something that I continually see on internet forums: People with absolutely no fluid mechanics background are willing to speculate (and with absolute certainty!) how air will flow in and around objects. In comparison, I work with people with aerodynamics based Phds and 20 years of experience who are less willing to speculate about fluid flow. In reality it's just a very complex, non-linear phenomenon and it's generally non-intuitive...
      I think I understand, and am glad to have your input, just to be clear, this design is going to work well, It was Nubs Idea not mine. He's a great fabricator.

25. 06-27-2012 04:20 PM #167
      He's a great fabricator.
      No doubt. He's a talented fabricator and he seems like a cool guy. I also have no doubt that your design will work well regardless of plenum shape. In my opinion, the manifold performance is more closely tied to runner length/shape than plenum design... but, if you are going to build it from scratch, you might as well make it the best it can be. I know it's a challenge to build something and fit it in the car, especially when the fabricator doesn't have the car sitting in his shop.

26. 06-27-2012 04:44 PM #168
      No doubt. He's a talented fabricator and he seems like a cool guy. I also have no doubt that your design will work well regardless of plenum shape. In my opinion, the manifold performance is more closely tied to runner length/shape than plenum design... but, if you are going to build it from scratch, you might as well make it the best it can be. I know it's a challenge to build something and fit it in the car, especially when the fabricator doesn't have the car sitting in his shop.
      Would still love to see some simulations if you would be so kind? Runners are 7.5 inches, AWIC core is 6x3x12

27. 06-28-2012 04:28 PM #169

STOKED!!!

Vehicles
      Mk2,s Mk3's
      06-28-2012 07:09 PM #172
      Tell NUB, he needs more beer in the pics.....

Vehicles
      84GTi-944s-B7quattro-R1-solana
      06-28-2012 08:40 PM #173
      i bet your gonna get alot of "hey is that a vr6" lol

Vehicles
      '00 Tropic Orange VR6BT
      06-29-2012 11:56 AM #174
      Most of this build is takin place at my work...... Nubworks is all torn apart right now and I have no power yet! Hense no beers in the pictures, sorry to disappoint!

Vehicles
      '00 Tropic Orange VR6BT
      06-29-2012 07:26 PM #175
      It's Friday...... No work, Let's have some beers tonight

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast