VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sports car cummins swap?

Vehicles
      4 and a boat
      12-26-2011 09:15 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Yeah, I don't think it technically exists enough to say it is real.

Beta #1 in the process of being built by a customer. According to this thread, he has been busy pulling bodies.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=262728

Its very real
      Cry once....

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      12-26-2011 10:08 AM #52
      I see the torquetards are out in full force today.

It's true that you can't make horsepower without torque, but you also can't turn torque into MPH without RPM.

Yeah, you can gear a small diesel to do 0-60 in 4 seconds, but it'll already be well on its way to a top speed of 62.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

Vehicles
      S2000 v3
      12-26-2011 11:18 AM #53
      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...l/viewall.html

Kind of pointless, but unique. 950hp 1800ftlb

╠╬╬╗
      246 R

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      12-26-2011 11:28 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

12-26-2011 11:33 AM #55
      This maybe splitting hairs a bit, but is the OP talking sports car or drag car? I only ask this as most diesels (Cummins included) are heavier than their gas counterparts. This would really have a bad affect on handling. Look at the Indy car that was mounted midway and on its side.

On the strip, diesels can do pretty well.

Vehicles
      Many
      12-26-2011 11:50 AM #56
      saw this one at SEMA last year.....

Vehicles
      99 BMW 544is
      12-26-2011 12:01 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post

It's true that you can't make horsepower without torque, but you also can't turn torque into MPH without RPM.

Yeah, you can gear a small diesel to do 0-60 in 4 seconds, but it'll already be well on its way to a top speed of 62.
      Sigh............

Vehicles
      1994 vw golf sport, 1990 vw jetta coupe
      12-26-2011 01:05 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      I have seen the car in person, at first I thought it was just a normal old car with a gas motor, but when he took off down the dragstrip, I was surprise at what I heard and saw. So I went down and looked at the car and found out, yes, it has a diesel motor and the owner is a nice guy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

Vehicles
      12-26-2011 01:47 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by CBi View Post
      Sigh............

Yes, let's go to a multi-million-dollar, 5.5-liter, twin-turbo racing engine for counterpoint. That makes complete sense.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta 2.0T, Mk1 Scirocco 16v, 323 GTX
      12-26-2011 01:57 PM #60
      So far every example shown (except for the Smyth car which sorta doesn't exist) is NOT a "sports car". Muscle cars are NOT sports cars; they're muscle cars. I'd argue that an Audi R10 isn't a "sports car" either -not in the practical sense of the term, anyway.

P.S. The BRZ chassis might qualify... but, is a real deal/potent diesel officially part of the program yet?
      Scott F. Williams, Team Director
      US Rally Team
      www.facebook.com/usrallyteam

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-26-2011 02:07 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
      Beta #1 in the process of being built by a customer. According to this thread, he has been busy pulling bodies.
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=262728
      Its very real
      It will be very real when it is running and driving and not a one off work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Because racecar.
      Sigh............
      Yes, a prototype racing car with a V12 twin turbo engine that is far from production based is a good example. You do realize that this engine is completely engineered and built from the ground up for proprietary use in this car, and therefore is obviously not a swap and obviously not in a sportscar.

Sigh indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@USRT View Post

P.S. The BRZ chassis might qualify... but, is a real deal/potent diesel officially part of the program yet?
      Highly doubtful if this will ever happen. Subaru doesn't sell the engine in this market because it is supposedly having trouble with emissions so I doubt it makes sense for them to bother just making it a reality for Japan and Europe.
      Last edited by patrikman; 12-26-2011 at 02:10 PM.

12-26-2011 02:43 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      build a car around this - QSK95:

Whoa! That pic was taken right outside of my old office.

Chris
      | 2015 Chevy Sonic | 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan | 1990 Ford F-150 | 2014 Prius | 1997 Chevy Tahoe | 1965 Buick Riviera |

Vehicles
      4 and a boat
      12-26-2011 02:43 PM #63
      It will be very real when it is running and driving and not a one off work in progress.

Objectively speaking, something is real when it is tangible. If they are touching it, then in fact it is very real.

Cry once....

Vehicles
      1990 Lexus LS400
      12-26-2011 03:05 PM #64
      Driving a beater Lexus to save up for a fun car, driving a beater Lexus to save up for a fun car, driving a beater Lex.....

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      12-26-2011 03:59 PM #65
      Yes, a prototype racing car with a V12 twin turbo engine that is far from production based is a good example. You do realize that this engine is completely engineered and built from the ground up for proprietary use in this car, and therefore is obviously not a swap and obviously not in a sportscar.

Sigh indeed.

You mad?
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

12-26-2011 04:16 PM #66
      335d
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-26-2011 04:29 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
      Objectively speaking, something is real when it is tangible. If they are touching it, then in fact it is very real.
      This is also real.

As noted earlier, building a kit car around an existing engine is not equal to swapping a diesel engine into a sportscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      You mad?
      Nope, just don't understand why people can't follow a simple concept.

It is like somebody asking for pictures of red rally cars for their birthday and you post this:

18. Member
      Vehicles
      93 D250 Cummins 07 Outback
      12-26-2011 06:17 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      The new Ford 6.7 'Scorpion' PSD is a nasty motor. I drive a stock one (tow truck) often, and it makes pretty decent power. Plus they are dead quiet too

Interesting how Ford ran the exhaust ports tradtionally where the intakes would be.
      Less heat loss and more exhaust gas velocity. GM is doing this with the next gen of Duramaxes.

If you want a wow factor, go ahead and put in a Cummins/Duramax. I will say this, they are heavy SOBs. 1100 for the Cummins with fluids and accessories and 900 for the DMax.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Vehicles
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS
      12-26-2011 06:42 PM #69

If you can take an engine and gear it to do 0-60 in 4 seconds, you can have a set of gears to make it hit high top speeds aswell, converting its high torque, low RPM into high RPM, low torque.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin
      Kind regards,
      James

Vehicles
      99 BMW 544is
      12-26-2011 07:08 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      If you can take an engine and gear it to do 0-60 in 4 seconds, you can have a set of gears to make it hit high top speeds aswell, converting its high torque, low RPM into high RPM, low torque.
      QFT, which was the point I was trying to get across when I posted the Audi TDi vid.

But, OH MY GOD ITS A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR RACE CAR how can it possibly be relevant???!!?

It's relevant because the motor spins to a whopping 5000 RPM, that's why, and it's torque-tarded enough to pull some serious gear and go fast and compete with high-revving SI engines.

A 4-banger TDi engine with boost and gearing in a lightweight chassis could do just the same, on a smaller scale.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-26-2011 07:21 PM #71
      QFT, which was the point I was trying to get across when I posted the Audi TDi vid.

But, OH MY GOD ITS A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR RACE CAR how can it possibly be relevant???!!?

It's relevant because the motor spins to a whopping 5000 RPM, that's why, and it's torque-tarded enough to pull some serious gear and go fast and compete with high-revving SI engines.

A 4-banger TDi engine with boost and gearing in a lightweight chassis could do just the same, on a smaller scale.
      It is also a multi million dollar high performance racing engine with turbochargers and a displacement at the maximum for its class (which happens to be much larger than the vast majority of production cars sold in the world) at the time of 5.5 liters.

It should be a no-brainer that it makes loads of torque and can still be geared to accelerate very fast and also top out well north of 200.I would also note this engine would be far too large to be used today in ALMS.

The simple fact that only a 5 speed trans is used speaks volumes to the amount of torque available. As stated though, it isn't even relevant to he discussion at hand. Why you ask?

Because racecar.
      Last edited by patrikman; 12-26-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Vehicles
      99 BMW 544is
      12-26-2011 07:34 PM #72
      As stated though, it isn't even relevant to he discussion at hand. Why you ask?

Because racecar.
      It's 100% relevant to this post:

So I provided video example of a "small" diesel (ie not the truck motors others are posting) with a lot of torque and not a lot of horsepower moving very fast on a racetrack.

I'm done with this thread.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-26-2011 07:49 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by CBi

So I provided video example of a "small" diesel (ie not the truck motors others are posting) with a lot of torque and not a lot of horsepower moving very fast on a racetrack.

I'm done with this thread.
      How is 5.5 liters with twin turbos "small"? It is ridiculous to even compare. When unrestricted these engines make well over 1000hp and unknown torque. All of this in a car when race ready with a driver and fluids weighs less than an empty Miata.

Totally relevant, I am glad you are done with this thread.

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      12-26-2011 08:32 PM #74
      Sigh............

Vehicles
      12-26-2011 09:51 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      If it produces the power to have sufficient mechanical advantage for sustaining that momentum and still be pleasant to drive, sure. In practice, nobody builds cars with crazy short low gears and super-tall cruising gears because they're not terribly pleasant to drive. You get a cruising gear with no passing power and a an obnoxious NVH nightmare around town.

Wow, dude.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast