Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Aviator 225 Refinement

1. 06-06-2012 11:30 AM #141
      if you're interested in a set of GT3s, I have a set that I've been going back and forth about selling. they're a great match with aviator grey.

Vehicles
      A German thing, and a not so German thing
      06-06-2012 12:05 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by LZ7W TT View Post
      if you're interested in a set of GT3s, I have a set that I've been going back and forth about selling. they're a great match with aviator grey.
      Will they match the interior tho?

3. 06-06-2012 01:04 PM #143
      they're almost a perfect match with an aviator grey interior (my car is aviator grey interior and exterior). if it's a black interior, they could still look nice with the aviator grey exterior.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC , TT 225QC , E39 540i, 9-3ss, B5 A4
      06-06-2012 09:13 PM #144
      they're almost a perfect match with an aviator grey interior (my car is aviator grey interior and exterior). if it's a black interior, they could still look nice with the aviator grey exterior.
      Location?
      -Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      I'm not endorsing the purchase of a Saab, cause I'd rather gargle battery acid. It was merely the best example I could think of.

5. 06-06-2012 11:39 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Location?
      just outside DC

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Audi 180Q Aviator Gray
      06-07-2012 11:24 PM #146
      Love the video. Looks like it was a blast
      Sex should be like a Civic; slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

Vehicles
      06-10-2012 10:21 AM #147
      just outside DC
      PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckmeister87 View Post
      Love the video. Looks like it was a blast
      It was.

Todays update:

Took the race wheels off and checked everything over. Due to my hitting the curb a little hard in one session the right front tire lost 6psi down to 32psi (38psi front and 32psi rear)

Took the bumper off to reseal the headlight as it had seemed to spring a leak in the rain session and get moisture in the housing. While in there did some measurements for the oil cooler setup. Just have to call Scott @ USRT for a few fittings and I hope to tackle it in the next couple weeks prior to hitting the track again.

And locked in the next track weekend at Lime Rock for the 17th and 18th of Aug. Hope to see some of you there!
      Last edited by DeckManDubs; 06-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
      -Noah

I'm not endorsing the purchase of a Saab, cause I'd rather gargle battery acid. It was merely the best example I could think of.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 08:55 PM #148
      So race tires are off and marked. Not too bad for ~1000 miles and ~ 8 20-30 min track sessions on them so far.

As you can see, they still have plenty of groove depth to help deal with damp track days

Ah some of the rubber tattoo's that need to be cleaned off

-Noah

Vehicles
      06-23-2012 07:37 PM #149
      Pulled her out and washed all the track dirt/oil/grime and rubber off.
      -Noah

10. Member
      Vehicles
      06-24-2012 05:00 PM #151
      So race tires are off and marked. Not too bad for ~1000 miles and ~ 8 20-30 min track sessions on them so far.

As you can see, they still have plenty of groove depth to help deal with damp track days

That's how my front tires typically look after 2k miles of city driving. I LOVE to take turns hard
      Sex should be like a Civic; slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 09:59 PM #152
      So decided to take my dad up to go to Cars & Coffee Sunday morning.

Friends T-Bird.

My dad getting in the photo's again!

When my dad saw this he did mumble "I need another big block." I then said "what?" only to have him cover his tracks with "That there is a nice big block."

Pink Caddy!

A beautiful GT500!

-Noah

12. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 04:18 AM #153
      Looks like you were loving the Veyron. Wouldn't they let your car in the show? Yours is nice. Maybe not "showroom" condition all the way around the car, but still nice.

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 08:57 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Chuckmeister87 View Post
      Looks like you were loving the Veyron. Wouldn't they let your car in the show? Yours is nice. Maybe not "showroom" condition all the way around the car, but still nice.
      Chuck, Yeah the Veyron was nice. There is a build thread floating around the car lounge about it. As for the show, it is a Car's and Coffee event, so just a big GTG of various makes. My TT was a couple cars down to the Veyron, surprisingly it did get a lot of attention as it was the only track car at the event, just no attention from me
      -Noah

Vehicles
      07-26-2012 07:35 PM #155
      Well it seems like after the next track day in August, the TT will be no longer used as my primary track car. Picked this up last weekend.

However, when it rains. The TT will still see track time

1992 GTI
      1.8T AWP
      T3-super 60
      034 EFI
      LSD
      Cup Kit
      needing some assembly

What really got me to pull the trigger on this was after getting some seat time in my friends 1.8T Corrado. So light and nimble, unlike the heavy TT. Plus it is cheaper on wear and tear items such as tires and brakes.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 11:43 PM #156

Some HP+ pads showed up today courtesy of German Auto Parts! Should go a good way to aiding some extra needed braking at Lime Rock next session.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 09:50 PM #157
      These showed up from Tyrolsport...Thanks Greg and Chris

Caliper stiffening kit

-Noah

Vehicles
      1986 Audi 5000 turbo quattro 2000 Aud TT quattro 1999 Audi A6 quattro
      08-03-2012 06:56 PM #158
      These showed up from Tyrolsport...Thanks Greg and Chris

Caliper stiffening kit

Let me know how those feel. Been thinking of getting those for awhile.

Steve

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 07:12 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveAngry View Post
      Let me know how those feel. Been thinking of getting those for awhile.

Steve
      Will do Steve. Hitting Lime Rock in two weeks, so they will be put to the test
      -Noah

Vehicles
      08-05-2012 01:31 PM #160
      So this weekend I decided to mess with the brakes a little. Tossed in a 2nd check valve to increase the vacuum on the booster. Pedal feel is a bit better. But the HPS's are not up to par, so still doing the HP+ pads next weekend with the Tyrolsport caliper stiffeners.

Stopped by the local import parts store to grab some oil and such, only to see this beauty there

Supercharged tho! With a Vortech V1 ~350hp or so

1 of 7 Shoguns (Doug, I was mistaken not 5), Jay Leno has one
      http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...shogun/188042/
      -Noah

20. 08-05-2012 01:54 PM #161
      Tossed in a 2nd check valve to increase the vacuum on the booster. Pedal feel is a bit better. But the HPS's are not up to par
      Noah, you can clone what I did if you really want improved vacuum to the booster. I added a second vacuum source to the booster line by using one of the unused port on the TIP. The TIP is always under vacuum (suction from the compressor inlet) and will provide decent assist even when the manifold source is in boost. Pretty simple, just "T" into the booster line and you're done.

I used to get the "wooden brake" syndrome with no assist due to the lack of vacuum when left-foot-braking on hairpins to keep the turbo spooled (manifold is seeing positive pressure and run out of vacuum to assist in braking). It works like a charm and I get improved booster assist at all time. You should try it!

Vehicles
      08-05-2012 01:57 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Noah, you can clone what I did if you really want improved vacuum to the booster. I added a second vacuum source to the booster line by using one of the unused port on the TIP. The TIP is always under vacuum (suction from the compressor inlet) and will provide decent assist even when the manifold source is in boost. Pretty simple, just "T" into the booster line and you're done.

I used to get the "wooden brake" syndrome with no assist due to the lack of vacuum when left-foot-braking on hairpins to keep the turbo spooled (manifold is seeing positive pressure and run out of vacuum to assist in braking). It works like a charm and I get improved booster assist at all time. You should try it!
      Great idea! I'll try it tonight!
      -Noah

Vehicles
      '01 TT 225Q
      08-05-2012 03:47 PM #163
      Where do you get your hose clamps from?
      Drive lowpark lower

.:46and2:.

Vehicles
      08-05-2012 04:15 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Forty-six and 2 View Post
      Where do you get your hose clamps from?
      McMaster-Carr
      -Noah

Vehicles
      08-12-2012 01:19 PM #165
      So after some running around yesterday, got the TT pretty much all prepared for Friday and Saturday's track session.

New HP+ Brake pads front and rear
      New Zimmerman Rear Rotors
      Lubra Moly Gear Oil (Told German Auto Parts I would give them some feedback from some track use)
      New 42DD intake filter
      Put the track rubber back on
      Oil change with Luqui Moly 10-60 GT1 race oil (Should help with the higher summer track temps)
      New BKR7E's gapped to .026"
      Inspected the coil harness after seeing how bad Max's was on his car. Found that mine was cracked in all sorts of places. So for a temporary fix, I re-rapped the broken lines to prevent arc jumping and causing signal issues. New harness is going to need to be sourced.

Took the car out last night to bed in the pads. After driving the car today I can say that HPS's suck for wanting a good brake pad that will scrub speed. The HPS's do last a long time however for those who are not speed freaks. I got over 50,000 miles out of them and 4 track days. I did notice that from trail braking at Lime Rock that the drivers front was about 10-15% thinner than the passenger side due to doing a lot of extra work on that right hander.

Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit Review :

So far I noticed a much more crisp pedal feel as there is almost no axial deflection of the caliper. This should be a huge boost in my ability to ride deeper into turns with more speed. With the stockers and HPS's I was braking at the 10. Fit is easy and painless. Can be done in a few minutes, so you dont have to plan a big down time on doing this upgrade.

Installed

Parts

New Filter from 42DD

Oil Change

Ah yes, cracked coil harness fixing

Pulled out the NT01's

Overhauling the rear rotors and pads

All together

Other than a quick clean and install a new prototype part this week. She is all ready to roll!

Cant wait to hit the track!
      -Noah

Vehicles
      08-19-2012 08:19 PM #166
      Lime Rock BMW Club Patroon Div Event

Well we made it there and back again!

The damage
      Twenty gallons of 110 octane race fuel, a missing O.Z. center cap, crap loads of rubber splashed all over the paint, intercoolers and such. Showing the BMW guys how Audi owners get down, priceless!

Where to start, it was fun, thrilling and eye opening. Finally getting finding my line at the track and working on running it faster and faster has been a satisfying experience. I must say if anyone wants a great group to run with, the BMW club knows how to do it. The organization, tech inspections, safety crews and classroom time were all top notch! The other drivers were all very friendly!

How did the TT do? Well she took the abuse like a champ, lap after lap as I pushed harder and harder, the brakes and tires kept me off the lawns. Final session out felt like we finally clicked, sliding and powering our way through the track.

And now the phrase Steve McQueen once said "Racing is Life - Everything Else is Just Waiting", or well back to the drawing board to do some histagrams and re-do some things that can be improved to allow me to run faster!

First session out was interesting as I bumped the tire pressure in the rear from 32psi up to 37psi (hot)...lets just say the power out understeer was worse than expected. Once I got back in dropped the rears back down to 34psi.

Found with the Nitto NT01's for the TT F:40psi hot and R:32-34psi hot is the perfect combo of minimizing the throttle out understeer but still allowing the lift-throttle turn in that I like.

After pitting we were seeing 450+ for the front brake rotor temps with the Hawk HP+'s....After six track days and 50,000+ miles, they are starting to show signs of hot spots and cracking.

This E36 M3 had to call it a day after the first session due to a slipping clutch, the 911 in the back blew a brake line

A very fast Saab

One of my favorite colors for E46's and the driver..she was very fast out there!

A 997 C4s that was pretty quick

Another take down for the TT

The only car I could not catch in the group

This beauty was in the fast group...1:01's and doing it looking good

335i that got crispy after a oil line came off the turbo on the first lap

Getting some room to run a clean lap

-Noah

26. 08-20-2012 10:20 AM #167
      Nicely done Noah! The TT looks like she's at home on the track, it's a blessing that so many sleep on such a well balanced platform. I think it's time for you to move to fully dedicated brake pads or at least get a double duty pad like the EBC yellow or Ferodo DS2500. I've had some scary encounters with fading Hawks and you don't want that experience if you don't have to, seeing that you're pushing it more and more with the TT, it's time for something more serious

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 10:36 AM #168
      Nicely done Noah! The TT looks like she's at home on the track, it's a blessing that so many sleep on such a well balanced platform. I think it's time for you to move to fully dedicated brake pads or at least get a double duty pad like the EBC yellow or Ferodo DS2500. I've had some scary encounters with fading Hawks and you don't want that experience if you don't have to, seeing that you're pushing it more and more with the TT, it's time for something more serious
      Thanks Max! Yeah the HP+'s are not bad, but I need something different. I was working on using Cobalt SS Brembo's but the radial mounting will not work on the TT unless I run 13"+ rotors. I am in the middle of working on something else to work off the 12.3" that will give me more clamping force and allow better pad availability/quick change setup (under 2 mins to swap pads)

Some stainless steel lines will also be in order by that point. Forgot to turn off the brake switch in Maestro to allow me to left foot brake, so that is on my list to do some time this week when I download the latest flash and toss in the new throttle map that Phil has been working on.

However, I think I am pretty much hitting a wall at this point with the chassis. Unless I go dropping off 500lbs of weight off the car, I am going to get smoked in the faster run group. So the MK2 is getting priority #1 as of when the snow fly's, to ensure that she is ready to rock and roll for the beginning of next season. So far with four days in and two more to do, this year has turned out to be pretty good. Hoping to do at least ten days next season.
      -Noah

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT Quattro LMNS Edition , 2004 R32 4motion DSG
      08-20-2012 10:56 AM #169
      Noah , i salute

Now regarding the brake pads .... my vote with MAX .

I'm running my second set of EBC Red Stuff brake pads on high speed roads+very hot climate and to be honest it's feels much better paddle-wise and response-full with my heavy braking style than Hawks HPS+ pads on the R32.

But, would like to know more about the installed check valve....any improvments by any chance?

Any plans for weight reduction? ( rear-seats delete/ rear pumper counter-weight..els !)

Whats ur alignment settings ?

Be first to reach that line
      Reading>posting .

Vehicles
      00' TT225 & 03' GTI 24v
      08-20-2012 11:21 AM #170
      Lookin' good buddy!

For my accelerator pedal map as a quick modification to make it extremely linear I took the 5000 RPM column, highlighted it and copied/pasted to the entire chart. I really prefer it over the stock setup which is near 100% open throttle at the tap of a pedal at low RPMs. It allows me to cruise/accel at lower loads and keep the car running leaner.

The main issue is the clutch engagement from a stop- I'm very used to giving it not much gas at all. Now it requires a little more effort but that could be tuned in obviously.
      -Doug

Vehicles
      08-20-2012 12:58 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by ModsTTand View Post
      Noah , i salute

Now regarding the brake pads .... my vote with MAX .

I'm running my second set of EBC Red Stuff brake pads on high speed roads+very hot climate and to be honest it's feels much better paddle-wise and response-full with my heavy braking style than Hawks HPS+ pads on the R32.

But, would like to know more about the installed check valve....any improvments by any chance?

Any plans for weight reduction? ( rear-seats delete/ rear pumper counter-weight..els !)

Whats ur alignment settings ?

Be first to reach that line
      Thanks! Alignment on the front is -1.5 camber, rear is -1.8

As for weight reductions are not really going to happen as I have the MK2 race car that has way more potential to run anywhere from 5-10 secs/lap faster than the TT will ever run. Phil and I were figuring that I can most likely perhaps get the car down to a 1:01, depending on upgraded balls of steel to titanium! 2300lbs and 300-375whp will be about the limit of sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DougLoBue View Post
      Lookin' good buddy!

For my accelerator pedal map as a quick modification to make it extremely linear I took the 5000 RPM column, highlighted it and copied/pasted to the entire chart. I really prefer it over the stock setup which is near 100% open throttle at the tap of a pedal at low RPMs. It allows me to cruise/accel at lower loads and keep the car running leaner.

The main issue is the clutch engagement from a stop- I'm very used to giving it not much gas at all. Now it requires a little more effort but that could be tuned in obviously.
      Thanks Doug! Tapp's throttle maps are a bit out there. I have creep coming out of Big Bend into the Esses and it is a very exciting few seconds of weight being transfered from left-right-rear-left-front-right-left-rear. Should be left foot braking to keep the spool up, but keep the weight movement in check to balance the car out in that section.

I run idle @ 1000rpms, helps with the light flywheel to get the car rolling in traffic without using the gas pedal.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      08-27-2012 08:25 PM #172
      Aw crap.

Well time for new o2's. Looks like the track day finished them off. 50k on a set of sensor is not too much to ask. German said they would be here on Wed.

No wonder the last tank of being nice only returned 24mpgs
      -Noah

32. Banner Advertiser doug@frankenturbo.com's Avatar
      08-28-2012 12:39 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by DougLoBue View Post
      For my accelerator pedal map as a quick modification to make it extremely linear I took the 5000 RPM column, highlighted it and copied/pasted to the entire chart. I really prefer it over the stock setup which is near 100% open throttle at the tap of a pedal at low RPMs.
      I have the same issue with my Eurodyne file. If I so much as look at the accelerator, the car speeds up. I can dampen that in the Pedal Map?
      www.frankenturbo.com
      Let's Do This

33. 08-28-2012 12:49 AM #174
      ^^^ "one man's trash is another man's treasure" for sure!

That sounds like something totally desirable to me on an AWD car... but again my views don't always line up with the norm

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 09:39 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      I have the same issue with my Eurodyne file. If I so much as look at the accelerator, the car speeds up. I can dampen that in the Pedal Map?

Yes, you will have to modify the pedal map to find a nice scale you like. I just tried to flash my new map Phil wrote only to discover I am now locked out of my cable ***cough early Tapp non-sense*** Most likely needs an update as there was several changes in the first two years. My cable is from the original 09' lot.

I expect to hear back from Tapp tomorrow some time with the patch to fix my cable issue. I will let you know how that works Doug.

^^^ "one man's trash is another man's treasure" for sure!

That sounds like something totally desirable to me on an AWD car... but again my views don't always line up with the norm
      Max, I will try to grab you a picture of the throttle map I am currently running. You might find it is more to your massive low rpm torque onset liking

So got my new o2 sensors in from German Auto Parts. Tossed the front in last night. Seems to be all good now. Just waiting to get around to toss the rear in perhaps this weekend or next weekend depending on work.

Out with the old

In with the new

New shirt showed up from 8380

-Noah

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast