Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: my 1990 g60 corrado thermo switch is not working at low speed, and overheats!!

1. 12-29-2011 08:05 AM #1
      1990 vw Corrado g60 210k miles. My car overheats because the thermo fan switch doesn't kick in at low speed. I bought a new termo switch and still th same. You start the car and temprature start rising untill 210 degrees Farenheit and then the fan kicks in. Is there a way to check the low connection to the thermo switch. My switch has 3 pins. Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks Joe.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado G60, 1991 VW Golf
      09-01-2012 04:01 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by ultraman69 View Post
      1990 vw Corrado g60 210k miles. My car overheats because the thermo fan switch doesn't kick in at low speed. I bought a new termo switch and still th same. You start the car and temprature start rising untill 210 degrees Farenheit and then the fan kicks in. Is there a way to check the low connection to the thermo switch. My switch has 3 pins. Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks Joe.
      same thing with mine. did you ever solve it?

Vehicles
      RWD B5 Avant 1.8T, girls MK4 1.8T
      09-09-2012 01:56 PM #3
      mine does the same thing as well, just rises and rises til its overflowing from the res, then the thermo opens, fan kicks on coolant flows til its cool enough for the thermo to close and fan to stop and then it starts all over again. its quite messy. and thats with it just idling in the driveway.

mine also has three pins
      RWD-converted '99 A4 Avant 1.8T.
      AEB : Eurodyne Maestro : K04 : 630cc inj : 3bar fpr : FMIC : B6 S4 MAF : Custom intake/TIP : 3" straight-pipe : simplified Vac lines/engine harness : BBS : Racelands(ftw)

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado G60, 1991 VW Golf
      09-15-2012 04:09 PM #4
      what im doing right now is jumping the cables of the thermo switch. my harness is in horrible condition thanks to the last owner. I have another harness and I will be replacing both harness and thermo switch.

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      09-16-2012 02:10 PM #5
      Same here. I even went so far as to have Zeb get me a new fan harness from Germany, not cheap. New sensors (normal and low temp), new fan relay (fuse box #31 and engine compartment #53). I can jump the sensor, both fan speeds work. While driving however, fan only comes on when temp reaches the high end. Truly bizarre.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      mk3 1.8t, '90 Corrado G60, Audi B6 Avant Quattro
      09-17-2012 08:49 PM #6
      have you all checked the low speed fan windings? i had this same issue last summer. i did just like the rest of you and change the fan switch with no change. i changed the fan after run relay, still no change. it was only after i bought an aftermarket fan and wired it up that i got my issues under control. while i was in there, i also replaced the thermostat with a lower temp one. i run 175F all day long. the new fan was only like 45 doll hairs.