Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG Whining Noise

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Golf 4dr 6MT ; 90 240sx SR20DET
      12-30-2011 01:27 PM #1
      I have about 6000 miles on my 2011 TDI with DSG. The DSG has been working fine with no real issues yet. About 1 month ago I went to the dealer to get the 37G2 – DSG Software Update. Shortly after I got that update, it was suspended for some reason. Now a new update is out to replace that update, which I am scheduled to get Jan 7th.

Shortly after I got the 37G2 update, I have starting a very faint whining noise in the DSG. It is always under 2000 rpm, and usually when you are in a high gear for your speed, and either coasting or lightly accelerating. I have confirmed it happening in 2nd 5th and 6th, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happen in 3rd and 4th as well. It is so faint that you really can't hear it unless the radio is off. You would also have to be very attentive, and in tune with the car to hear it. I have tried having several people listen for it, and they can't hear it. It is pretty intermittent, but happens several times during my 50 mile daily commute.

I am not sure if this noise is normal or not, and it wouldn't bother me if it was normal. I am worried if I take it into VW, they won't be able to detect it and fix it. My biggest worry is that it is just the beginning of something big, and that it will fail out of warranty. I hope that driving this long on that 37G2 update that was suspended didn't cause any perm damage to the DSG.

Also on a side note, Do the clutches on DSGs wear out like they do on Manual Transmissions. If you are moving very slowly with your foot on the brake (Like in heavy traffic) does the DSG "Ride the Clutch" like you would do in a manual transmission and create additional ware?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01-09-2012 03:08 PM #2
      Nobody?

I did get the latest DSG update, to replace the 37G2 update that got suspended...It still makes the noise, maybe not as bad, but we will see.

I guess I just have to drive on it and hope that if it is going to fail, it will fail within warranty. Its too bad, other then the noise my DSG is flawless....

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      01-13-2012 07:31 AM #3
      Are aware of what changed with these software updates? Pump whine could be culprit here because of rapid shuttling of pressure regulator, which is controlled by a solenoid. A software change could be sending incorrect/confusing signals to this solenoid, which is a modulated solenoid, causing it modulate abnormally fast or slow. At this point, see what the software changed and try to get specifics, though dealers are pretty unknowledgeable about what they are changing only that VW said, put this new software update on such and such vehicles. Maybe you'll get lucky. let me know.

Brad

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02-06-2012 03:35 PM #4
      I am not sure what changed, or where to find out what changed between software versions. I took it into the dealer today, and got a tech to drive around with me for about 15 min. Of course, I wasn't able to reproduce the sound. It is a bit warmer today then it has been recently, I think the noise is somewhat temp related. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it comes back when it is cold again, and if it does, take it in when I can reproduce it better.

Now that it is warmer, the DSG is operating flawlessly, and I am actually starting to like it. Most of the car's rattles have gone away now that it is warmer too...

03-22-2012 04:26 AM #5
      Mine has had a slight gear whine at about 10kph (62mph) on light throttle for the last couple of years. Has not got any worse. Prob just a bit on the loose side of tolerance in the front diff.

Bazzle