VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1976 Swallowtail: Cinnabon

97K views 444 replies 125 participants last post by  mk2fu 
#1 ·
Plans are simple.

Want to thank BFI for the coilover, mounts, and rear bushings... you guys are swell :heart:
Thanks to Ben for the front window seal, mk1 autohaus is the biz... :beer:
DAS (dependable auto shippers) for getting the car her cross country QUICK and SAFELY.. :thumbup:
Onlinetires for the federal 165/50/15's.... :p
Jason at Image wheels for the help... :cool:
And Adam for selling me the car... :thumbup:

So what you guys care about... and don't worry, this one isn't getting the floor cut out.... :laugh::popcorn:

pics don't really show off the color of the interior, but this thing really makes me hungry for a cinnabon.... :laugh:

take care,
nash

See less See more
#285 ·
The only thing i see that MAY be wrong would be wheather or not flux was used, which i cannot tell very well by the blury picture. I have soldered wires before with only solder which resulted in big junky layer of solder over the wire. the solder itself would be nice and clean/shiny and get the job done, but in the long run I doubt it would prevent wire corosion, which is also something i noticed when i went back to fix my connections.

When I did fix my connections, I have used flux. What this does is suck the solder in between the wires filling up any area where air and moisture may settle causing the wires to corrode. After the solder the wires look a little dirty as the flux itself gets a little burned, but its nothing that affects the way sensors work.

Of fourse the last and final step is applying the correct sized shrink tube.

Elvir

#290 ·
you wouldn't really be able to tell whether they used flux or not once its done, i just use a flux core solder, it does the same thing. someone was just being an ass hole, theres nothing wrong with those connections and they're really not that big, theres 2 wires in there that over lap and then are covered in solder, there should be a bump, i'd be more concerned if they too small.

#286 ·
other than the new connections not really being offset (as to avoid bulkiness in one area), I see nothing wrong with it... :confused: It's not like it's going to be seen and it appears to have solid connections, so what difference does it make, really!?

Great work EW, keep it up...looking forward to further progress. :thumbup::beer:

#287 ·
Looking good Nash. As far as the wiring goes, VW/ Audi techs dont even solder anymore, they use crimps with heatshrink attached, and those are more bulbus than what was pictured a page ago. When the harness is taped it won't be a big deal at all.
We gotta get the mk1's out for a drive before SOWO. I doubt I will be driving the GTI there. Steph really wants to do that.
Rich

#288 ·
Looking good Nash. As far as the wiring goes, VW/ Audi techs dont even solder anymore, they use crimps with heatshrink attached, and those are more bulbus than what was pictured a page ago
this:rolleyes:. Honda is the same way.

#296 ·
Notice DANVIZ has conveniently headed for the door when it comes time to explain his remarks.
yeah, not quite some of us have a live outside of vortex, hard to grasp I know.

what more are they supposed to do?
Options to make this a professional job worth paying shop labor rates:

1. build a new section of harness, this would be the correct and not half assed way to do it
2. if you're going to do it this way, at least use the correct colors of wiring, and stagger the solder joints so that it doesn't look like a pregnant snake when wrapped, and there won't be as much stress on the solder joints.

will these connections work, sure, do they look half assed, and not even remotely professional, sure.

that was the point of the comment, so there's your explanation. ultimately, I could care less, because I'm not the one writing the checks here if that wiring mess is acceptable to eurowise, and nash, more power to them.

now commence the butt hurt. :wave:

#314 ·
ditto casey... :wave:

My wife spends too much money when we go to strip clubs :laugh: so probably wont swing that trip.
GTG/cruise/VR noise making posse all sound good to me. :)
lol... she is definitely much cooler than you!!!! i'll be getting to sowo earlier in the day friday so maybe we can create an a1 nation and make a little noise as you say... :thumbup:

I was just curious as it is already "Mocked up" here. U goin w the same all black look or leaving the valve cover stock?
i though you meant if that was LITERALLY carl's manifold... lol... yes, mike made a bunch of them and as i said, i decided to pick one up. he actually has a few more if you're interested... :popcorn:

The car is coming along great. WIsh I could make it down to SOWO and see it in person and do some catching up.
thanks brian! it has been soooo long since we hung out... miss ya and your crazy crew!!! :wave:

stalthmk1...here's the name calling you've been looking for ^^

no referring to you, but the 10 other people that don't like differing opinions.

that was my point, I just know that if my car came out of a shop with that I'd be pissed, but like I said, if you guys are ok with it :thumbup:
emmett is right and so are you... :thumbup: so i must apologize to the local losers that i may have offended with my insensitive name calling... :laugh::thumbup:

and yes, i'm ok with it. if my car ignites in a ball of fire due to the "belly of the snake" i will add mike to my list of {not going to say it....} ;)

back to updates, please and thank you
just for you brian.... :pic:

so i've officiall got under mike's skin with all my ideas and he has put a stop to what i want out of stage 1... :laugh: so car won't really be stage 1 at sowo, but more like stage .75.... lol... in his defense, i get carried away with idea's and obviously they are tight with time given that the show is 2 weeks away.... but he was nice enough to send me a pic and figured i'd share now one of my ideas with trying to tie the interior color (which i absolutely love) into the bay.... one of a few things that will hopefully make the bay stand out a little.....

don't be mad mike ngo.... i :heart: you....

take care,
nash

#309 ·
Nash, glad you got a chance to chime in. This was getting a little out of hand. The car is coming along great. WIsh I could make it down to SOWO and see it in person and do some catching up.

I extended the harness in my car in much the same way with better solder connections, but I did them myself and spent several days making them pretty. In shop hours that would kill your said budget. The way they are done are not pretty, but solid and protected. You mentioned this is stage1. My car hit the road last fall just prior to going into storage. Well, that wiring is coming out for stage2. Wish I would have not taken so much time in the first place.

Hey noobs, Shut It!
Be glad someone is taking the time to assemble a build thread for your enjoyment, inspiration, and love of the "scene".

Mike, We will meet one day. I will give you a High Five.

#321 ·
stand out a little? wtf are you talking about, its outstanding already with all black. cant wait to see the outcome of this.

the rest of us can just quit with you having 2 stellar builds simultaniously....

#330 ·
thanks for all the comps fellas... :heart:

people been relocating the pack since the beginning of time.... definitely helps clean things up a little... :cool:

zzzz. Are you keeping things under wraps for a SOWO reveal?
wake up brian, wake up.... :laugh: nah... i'm not the secretive type. nothing here people haven't seen done many times over, and besides, defeats the purpose of sharing your excitement in a build thread... :thumbup:

so much has been done except for my horrible updating... lol... apologies ... :peace:

got the TT chip in to help squeeze a few more aggrasive ponies out this motor. mike got it solder'd in place nice and snug...

got the gruvenparts pullies and fuel bracket back from the powdercoaters....

the front end is beginning to look like a front end again....

air lines ran to the rear....

installed shifter parts new shift housing (donor housing bearing bad)

and as mike said "Your convoluted overly complicated dual beam HID system" is getting there... :laugh:

so as you can see things getting closer and closer to being complete...

mike and the rest of the guys are pushing hard to get all this done so again much :heart: goes out to mike and the crew at eurowise....

take care,
nash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.