VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1976 Swallowtail: Cinnabon

97K views 444 replies 125 participants last post by  mk2fu 
#1 ·
Plans are simple.

Want to thank BFI for the coilover, mounts, and rear bushings... you guys are swell :heart:
Thanks to Ben for the front window seal, mk1 autohaus is the biz... :beer:
DAS (dependable auto shippers) for getting the car her cross country QUICK and SAFELY.. :thumbup:
Onlinetires for the federal 165/50/15's.... :p
Jason at Image wheels for the help... :cool:
And Adam for selling me the car... :thumbup:

So what you guys care about... and don't worry, this one isn't getting the floor cut out.... :laugh::popcorn:

pics don't really show off the color of the interior, but this thing really makes me hungry for a cinnabon.... :laugh:

take care,
nash

See less See more
#177 ·
thanks for the comps fellas... :beer:

thanks brother! hope your berry beast is treating ya right!!!

I think we all knew this swap was inevitable. :laugh:

:) :thumbup:
guess everyone knew but me... or was i in denial... :rolleyes::banghead:

Speechless on the direction its going. Always keeping us up on toes with your builds. :beer:
i have an issue.... lol... guess it keeps me on my toes as well... lol...

c'mon Nash atleast you can keep one minty semi stock hahahahahahahahaha:popcorn::heart:
yo jfay, it will be minty semi stock. i'm going to stock my storage with all the OG parts... :laugh::wave:

:thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer:
Cue flipping, "it wont stop," stoppie, etc comments in, 3......2....1..
if it does... ohhh well.... as quoted by the late mr. eazy e

"i looked at ma car and i said "oh brother"
i'll throw it in the gutter and go buy another"

;)

I know that you wrote the wheel and tire specs a few pages back, but i have to ask. Is that really 165/45 on 8" out back?
If i look at tyrestretch.com it looks really painfull, yours don't
The reason I ask is that I gonna run new wheels this season 7"-front and 8.25"-back. Having a hard time decide what tires to run.

Car looks amazing BTW:thumbup:
thanks swed.. :thumbup: the tires are 165/50 and keep this in mind..... its very important to realize that my rear wheel measures 8" from lip to lip and not frome where the tire sits at. So in reality the rear would be more like a 15x7 according to common lingo.... so thats why they aren't as stretched as you would imagine them to be compared to what most call a 15x8".... makes sense?

so block cleaning has begun...

and recieved my NOS early style tails... big thanks to Gary on the samba...

notice the rear metal trays...

they have plastic covers that snap into place. the passenger side of mine is missing. so i need it.
if anyone has one, i would be happy to purchase it from you.

Also would love a set of NOS side markers both front and back so if anyone has a set they are hording and don't need, let me know... :beer:

take care,
nash

#176 ·
I know that you wrote the wheel and tire specs a few pages back, but i have to ask. Is that really 165/45 on 8" out back?
If i look at tyrestretch.com it looks really painfull, yours don't
The reason I ask is that I gonna run new wheels this season 7"-front and 8.25"-back. Having a hard time decide what tires to run.

Car looks amazing BTW:thumbup:

#189 ·
thanks for the comps guys and thanks for the side marker help. i just assumed they weren't available and {flamesuit on} didn't bother to do a search of any type... i'm getting lazy in my old age... :laugh: thanks guys.. :wave:

truth... :thumbup:

After seeing that car in action last night, it truly is a Rabbit, hop hop :p

Elvir
lol... you two didn't stand a chance in that brand new R. and to think kyle wants to run the other rabbit when its done... lol... either way the hopping is about to end in a few weeks... :laugh:

Time to play prophet-air ride is next:beer::wave:
so what little i've driven this car made me realize that i can not tolerate my anal sphincter puckering at the site of every pothole and bump in the road everytime i get in a low car. i'm just getting too old.... so i wouldn't be surprised if bags end up on this one... :wave:

anyway, a not so fun day today...

decided to head out to a local gtg last night and the suspension settled more than i had thought it would. having said that, axle rub a dub, dub.... lol...

that wasn't the not so fun part of today. about 3 days ago get a letter from the DMV stating my car will have it's registeration suspended in the next month because i failed to pay insurance...WRONG. long story short, when i transferred the Oregon title over to my name, the clerk at the DMV had put the title number where the VIN number was suppose to go. so the correct VIN i had given my insurance didn't match the VIN on my new GA title. Either way, the DMV had made the mistake and I had to correct their mistake for them. I had to drive the rabbit to the auto theft department and have a officer verify proof of VIN, then I had to head out to the DMV and have them correct the issue and waive the fees associated with it. not the biggest issue in the world, but still annoying especial when i had copy of the Oregon title and that wasn't good enough for them and that it took up half my day.... :facepalm:

to do all this i had to remedy the rubbing issue and raising the coils was not an option so since i plan on notching the frame, i temporarily went ahead and took out a little more than an 1/8th of an inch and issue was resolved... kinda looks OEM to me... :laugh:

besides that, i think i just ordered a bunch of accessories for the motor... lol...

take care,
nash

#195 ·
thanks guys... :beer:

and sorry for the late responses on IM.. been very busy... :beer:

kevin, i hope so... :laugh::beer:

No problem man i sit behind a desk running thru ETKA allday need anything else holla....
appreciate it homie... :beer:

hopefully you'll make it to madness with this (or the other crazy 24vT awd monster!!)
i will be there... :beer: i'll be driving this one up and mike is bringing his vr6 cabby up... look forward to a few :beer::beer::beer::thumbup:

so a lot of part ordering and collecting on my end and motor building on eurowise's end...

stopped by a friends' house i've known for over 10 years. in that time my friend paul started a business many know as www.gruvenparts.com If you don't know what he does check him out.. great products and even a greater guy... :beer::heart: thanks again paul... :thumbup:

a pic of him (just after a workout... lol) and his super clean supercharged corrado...

and a pic of what i picked up from him today...

saves over 8lbs of weight and must say it looks damn nice! took one pulley out of its plastic to get an idea of how pretty this stuff really is... :beer:

as stated i had mike and crew go completely through the motor...

so.... new main bearings, new rod bearings, new piston rings, clean entire block, polish crank, wire wheel clean the piston grooves. you can see they punch number each piston so they go back in the right hole. they took some pretty cool pics so figured i'd share a few mike sent to me...

take care,
nash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.