Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      01-08-2012 06:31 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      There is a big difference between "doing some squats" and power lifting. Not to mention most powerlifting programs call for low bar squatting which I don't think is as beneficial for increasing vertical as high bar is.

Anyway you'd have much more success with power cleans and snatches.
      meh, consider the ROI though. Time depending I think a bit of both are the best bet, but if we're talking bang for the buck in a short period of time a power-esque style of training would be the best bet.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

2. 01-08-2012 07:40 PM #37
      Done right I don't think Olympic weightlifting is any more dangerous than anything else. And the mobility development is definitely way better than powerlifting.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      01-08-2012 09:18 PM #38
      For what it's worth, I don't jump any higher now than I did before I started weight training or even Olympic lifting. Unless you're really weak, I think specificity and jumping technique are way more important. Or basically that you're going to have to train jumping at least as much as you train with weights.

So Snails, how high are you currently jumping?

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      01-08-2012 09:25 PM #39
      Done right I don't think Olympic weightlifting is any more dangerous than anything else. And the mobility development is definitely way better than powerlifting.
      Mobility has nothing to do with the actual training; it would be a bi-product of PROPER training in an un-injured format. You're a coach, how many clients come to you injury free, without muscle imbalances; tight piriformis, hip flexors, etc.? I didn't mention injury, but teaching the Oly lifts are much harder (properly) than training power lifts. FWIW my vertical has increased about 2" since my squat has gone up 75lbs; totally a personal experience but I literally do zero jump training and train strictly for power.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Civic
      01-08-2012 09:41 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      For what it's worth, I don't jump any higher now than I did before I started weight training or even Olympic lifting. Unless you're really weak, I think specificity and jumping technique are way more important. Or basically that you're going to have to train jumping at least as much as you train with weights.

So Snails, how high are you currently jumping?
      i just occurred to me i've been misusing 'power lifting' when i really meant to be saying 'olympic' weightlifting. noob mistake. anywhere i said power in previous posts insert olympic. my mistake

to answer your question in terms of exact height i don't know. almost rim . i've been lazy about creating a way to test it without one of those pro jump height checking thingers.

i will tell you so far i feel alot stronger on my approach and takeoff and can get more net than i ever did. from what i can tell i'm still about 5 full inches from just touching rim so i've got a looonggg ways to go from dunking.

i've literally just scratched the surface of the olympic type weight training. in my og post i alluded to not yet trying it due to my gyms lack of the right plates and their etiquette rules. i'm working on that however by buying a bar and plates on my own shortly. i have however been doing plyometrics/jumping exercises for the past 3 months in addition to my regular lifting routine.

i'm kinda still learning. i've literally been serious about his for about 4 months now. i'm working on getting a new workout layout together to bust through the plateaus i feel like i'm at so everyones input helps tremendously.
      Last edited by ienjoysnails; 01-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      01-09-2012 07:24 AM #41
      so been taking it easy the last few weeks, besides small injuries, holiday fatting etc, so yesterday was a proper day back and was dreading the loss of strength ... to my surprise does not appear I lost any at all, did not go crazy on the big compound lifts (DL primarily for back day yesterday) but was shocked at my secondary end-of-session workouts doing dumb bell rows ... actually hit a new max 3x8x85lbs ... could not believe it. Wife hit her new max on DL @ 185x4 .. pretty funny that I was using the same weights as her for my first DL day in prob 5 weeks.

Vehicles
      Is300
      01-09-2012 08:30 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by chaugner View Post
      so been taking it easy the last few weeks, besides small injuries, holiday fatting etc, so yesterday was a proper day back and was dreading the loss of strength ... to my surprise does not appear I lost any at all, did not go crazy on the big compound lifts (DL primarily for back day yesterday) but was shocked at my secondary end-of-session workouts doing dumb bell rows ... actually hit a new max 3x8x85lbs ... could not believe it. Wife hit her new max on DL @ 185x4 .. pretty funny that I was using the same weights as her for my first DL day in prob 5 weeks.
      jesus chirst your wife deadlifts 185 for reps lets see some pics of this lovely lady

its awesome to go back and your numbers havent fallen off nearly as bad as you thought.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 08:50 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      jesus chirst your wife deadlifts 185 for reps lets see some pics of this lovely lady

its awesome to go back and your numbers havent fallen off nearly as bad as you thought.
      I'll try to convince her for a dead lift video next week "to observe form" haha

9. 01-09-2012 08:53 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      FWIW my vertical has increased about 2" since my squat has gone up 75lbs; totally a personal experience but I literally do zero jump training and train strictly for power.
      I think squatting plays an important role in just about every kind of training though, jump training included. As Xiao eluded to, specificity of training is crucial, however less developed trainees will see adaptation from non specific training. Dr. Zatrosky talks a lot about this stuff in Science and Practice of strength training. Pretty good read if you haven't checked it out already.

01-09-2012 10:29 PM #45
      Wife DL tonight at 245x3

Not great form but still got it up (lolzthatswhatshesaid)

01-09-2012 10:30 PM #46
      I'll try to convince her for a dead lift video next week "to observe form" haha

Its fun to get the wifes to do this and it makes all the guys go
      Mine also does single arm rows 70x10

Vehicles
      01-10-2012 07:21 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post

Its fun to get the wifes to do this and it makes all the guys go
      Mine also does single arm rows 70x10
      hah so true ... we were doing single arm rows, and she was getting up looking for weights, 2 guys working out asked her "you looking for the 15's?" - "she said no" and kept on going until she found the 50lbs ... they were like "oh snap, never mind" and she pulled 8 reps @ 50.

Its hilarious when you see big guys doing DL with a single plate, and she steps up, does a quick warm up, and throws on the same weight for reps for a few consequitive sets hah

So I guess this may turn into the "wife's progress" thread here very soon

13. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-10-2012 08:13 AM #48
      hah so true ... we were doing single arm rows, and she was getting up looking for weights, 2 guys working out asked her "you looking for the 15's?" - "she said no" and kept on going until she found the 50lbs ... they were like "oh snap, never mind" and she pulled 8 reps @ 50.

Its hilarious when you see big guys doing DL with a single plate, and she steps up, does a quick warm up, and throws on the same weight for reps for a few consequitive sets hah

So I guess this may turn into the "wife's progress" thread here very soon
      yea lets get some pics. there was a girl on tnation that deadlifted like 315 that i thought was super hot.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

14. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-10-2012 08:53 AM #49
      rumor is that my gym may be closing, apparently they arent allowing anyone to sign up for the year memberships anymore. i dont want to switch again!

Vehicles
      4dr golf
      01-10-2012 10:00 AM #50
      currently in my second week of 5x5 training for bench. trying to work my 3 rep max up.. successfully completed my last 3 sets with 215 which i felt pretty good about. progressing slowly

here is a current pic of me , about 185 or so .. would like to stay lean but get up to 190 this winter

Ryan
      Last edited by motherleopard28; 01-10-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added pic
      ct. getlow

16. 01-10-2012 11:33 AM #51
      How tall are you? You don't look 180.

Vehicles
      4dr golf
      01-10-2012 11:58 AM #52
      5-10, i vary between 180-185 normally ..
      Last edited by motherleopard28; 01-10-2012 at 12:17 PM.
      ct. getlow

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-11-2012 10:01 AM #53
      Squatted 265 5x5. Farted on one of the last reps and quite honestly thought I "blew an o-ring".

edit: thought you guys may get a kick out of this:

Last edited by kryptonik; 01-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.

01-11-2012 04:56 PM #54

WTF was he doing trying to walk that **** anyhow

Vehicles
      mk3s
      01-12-2012 01:38 AM #55
      Had a great night in the gym tonight. Weighed in
      at 132, got 275x5 on squat!
      Dan's Auto Sales & Repair CT Auto Repair and Used Car
      Creep....

IM me for Air Ride Installs, Frame notches, ect.

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 12:49 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post

WTF was he doing trying to walk that **** anyhow
      what I dont get is the amount of people doing dead lifts and the rounded back ... I mean how can you not injure yourself ??? Seeing so many people with very heavy weights rounding their backs doing DL's .... how can they not screw up their discs maybe I am just build differently but if I round my back ... bad **** happens ..

22. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-12-2012 01:04 PM #57
      there is so much wrong with that video, starting with the fact he could have trimmed it to 20 seconds. is he wearing womens yoga pants?

the thing that always boggles my mind is when people deadlift and when they go to lock it out they lean back a good 10/15 degrees so they look like a 'C'.

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 03:35 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      the thing that always boggles my mind is when people deadlift and when they go to lock it out they lean back a good 10/15 degrees so they look like a 'C'.
      yeah we have one of those too ... its SOO bad for your back doing that.

Vehicles
      4dr golf
      01-12-2012 08:27 PM #59
      felt good on deadlifts today .. did 3x5 with 315 and then did a set of 365 for 3. sucked that the kid next to me who was way younger was hammering through 455 however
      ct. getlow

01-14-2012 05:32 PM #60
      what I dont get is the amount of people doing dead lifts and the rounded back ... I mean how can you not injure yourself ??? Seeing so many people with very heavy weights rounding their backs doing DL's .... how can they not screw up their discs maybe I am just build differently but if I round my back ... bad **** happens ..
      mine is perfectly straight at 500 when I get to 600 for a single its alittle rounded.

But it also helps if your doing some accesory back lifting also...

I warm up my DL with 315x10 straightleg sometimes 315x15....

26. 01-15-2012 09:22 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by bharry07 View Post
      Had a great night in the gym tonight. Weighed in
      at 132, got 275x5 on squat!
      that's a pretty ****ing good squat for someone that weighs 132.

27. 01-15-2012 01:50 PM #62
      It depends if they are rounding their upper back or rounding their lower back. Strong people round their upper back because it takes off distance from the pull and weak people round their lower back because they are weak.
      ok heres the ting take a corner at 35 or 45racing a ***** had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can but anywho now I have a load cam knock it sounds like but I'm not sure my oil pan may have got pushed back alittle so I dont know if my oil pump got damgaed and itsn't get oil to the top of the cams does anyone have any ideas what else it could be and yea I spanked the little rice hatch back

Vehicles
      mk3s
      01-15-2012 04:00 PM #63
      PR yesterday

Deadlift
      335x4 @ 132

Constructive criticism would be appreciated

photo 1
      photo 2
      Dan's Auto Sales & Repair CT Auto Repair and Used Car
      Creep....

IM me for Air Ride Installs, Frame notches, ect.

29. 01-15-2012 10:53 PM #64
      There is a big difference between "doing some squats" and power lifting. Not to mention most powerlifting programs call for low bar squatting which I don't think is as beneficial for increasing vertical as high bar is.

Anyway you'd have much more success with power cleans and snatches.
      You are going to say that a template or "program" decide the way that you squat? LOL it's all about leverages mostly and of course whether they are raw, single, or multi. Has nothing to do with the program.

Progress: raw paused bench = 360

Finally touched smoothly in my new shirt.

Did 405x3 on paused squats. And deficit pulls have destroyed my hips.

30. 01-15-2012 11:23 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      You are going to say that a template or "program" decide the way that you squat? LOL it's all about leverages mostly and of course whether they are raw, single, or multi. Has nothing to do with the program.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-16-2012 02:55 PM #66
      Was stuck on 75lb DB press 12/12/11 for a few weeks. Went for 85s this weekend and hit em for 3x8. Pretty stoked on that. New PR and I've never even pushed with 85s before. Gonna work them up for a few weeks, try to hit 3x12, and then keep moving on up. I'm sure I could see better strength gains if I lower the reps a bit more, and push, but, since I have been doing 3x12 my shoulders have never felt better, and I feel like I'm getting bigger.

Vehicles
      4dr golf
      01-16-2012 03:58 PM #67
      got 2x4 with 225 on bench today.. felt pretty good , prob could have done 5 with a spotter ..i am happy with the slow progress on bench thus far using the 5x5 program idea.
      ct. getlow

01-16-2012 07:18 PM #68
      Progress

505x6 DL .... last one was ugly

Leg extension machine doesnt have enough weight on it .... maxes out at 300pds any suggestions ?
      (as in 300x10 3 sets ...)

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      01-17-2012 09:40 AM #69
      switch to one leg.

01-17-2012 09:25 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      switch to one leg.
      Well that was to easy of an answer .

on me

Thanks

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast