Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 2220

    Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

    1. 01-17-2012 10:59 PM #71
      Deadlift 385x3

      (different day) bench 200x2



      Don't fall behind chaugner
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

    2. 01-17-2012 11:04 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by bharry07 View Post

      I'm sure most on here will agree when I say that you shouldn't tap-and-go on deadlifts. let the bar rest, take another rep.

      Not sure was all the dancing around at the beginning is either. Get your grip tight, get a firm starting position, and pull smoothly.

      Other than that it doesn't look too bad.
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

    3. Member chaugner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2002
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      5,672
      Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      01-18-2012 09:01 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      Don't fall behind chaugner
      deadlift day on thursday ... going to get ready all day for it mentally.

    4. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      21,553
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-18-2012 09:44 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by bharry07 View Post
      PR yesterday

      Deadlift
      335x4 @ 132



      Constructive criticism would be appreciated
      take your shoes off, wearing a shoe like that the hell compresses, it also makes you put your weight on your toes, you want to be sitting back into it with your weightr on the heels.

      x2 to the 'dancing' - you want to makes sure you are pulling that thing nice and stable. walk up to the bar, set yourself up, lift.

      also, you dont touch the ground between deadlifts, put it on the ground then start again. your strength for your size is good but you need some minor tweaks.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

    5. 01-18-2012 10:54 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Progress

      505x6 DL .... last one was ugly

      Leg extension machine doesnt have enough weight on it .... maxes out at 300pds any suggestions ?
      (as in 300x10 3 sets ...)

      Stop doing leg extensions.

      EDIT: Just got this PM from autodubbin...I think he's mad

      Quote Originally Posted by maddubbin
      You're right, because you know so much you can't even squat 2x your body weight. You don't have a ****in clue dude. Your a wanna-be with more knowledge than an average joe on this forum. You go into Westside and squat low bar...

      It is great you have your own gym and are a "coach" but you have no idea what you're doing. Stop giving ****ty advice all the time.

      You may have great general knowledge of "weight lifting", but you don't have an idea about powerlifting.
      Last edited by spoolin215; 01-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.

    6. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,634
      01-18-2012 11:21 PM #76



      Ok, curious why not ? Anything else to do ?
      I normally do it right after dead lift .

    7. 01-18-2012 11:24 PM #77
      Well, that's mature.

      I'm not mad, you just suck at lifting and give people ****ty advice. Your 275 pounds and have never squatted 500. You claim bar position depends on the program. LOL. Not even close. Its all about how people are built, what bar they are using (nobody squats low bar with a Mastadon bar). Rarely is there a multiply lifter that squats low bar. You also tell people powerlifters NEVER front squat. Another dumb comment. You are clueless, which is why your own numbers are thoroughly pathetic.

      Stop being so ****ing cocky.


      Chilled- Its not a natural motion for your knee/leg and therefore isn't good for the general health of them. If you want to hit your quads, find something free weight and compound.

    8. 01-18-2012 11:25 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post



      Ok, curious why not ? Anything else to do ?
      I normally do it right after dead lift .

      Eh, in general I just think machine training is wack. There are so many great ways to use your body, it just seems dumb to strap yourself to a machine. Not to mention if you want to talk about stressing the knees...

      If you're looking for quad development you could do your front squats after your deads.

    9. 01-18-2012 11:54 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      Well, that's mature.

      I'm not mad, you just suck at lifting and give people ****ty advice. Your 275 pounds and have never squatted 500. You claim bar position depends on the program. LOL. Not even close. Its all about how people are built, what bar they are using (nobody squats low bar with a Mastadon bar). Rarely is there a multiply lifter that squats low bar. You also tell people powerlifters NEVER front squat. Another dumb comment. You are clueless, which is why your own numbers are thoroughly pathetic.

      Stop being so ****ing cocky.


      Chilled- Its not a natural motion for your knee/leg and therefore isn't good for the general health of them. If you want to hit your quads, find something free weight and compound.
      You should take your own advice. Multiple times you have taken things I have said out of context, for the sake of being augmentative. You seem to have some creepy obsession with proving me wrong. I'm not really sure how I "suck at lifting," care to explain that one?

      What I was saying regarding varying types of squats, is that most places/resources regarding powerlifting are going to instruct people on a low bar style squat.

      Rippetoe:

      EliteFTS:

      Louie Simmons:

      And here is a video of some great powerlifters...look at all those high bar squats


      It's not a far stretch to think that a newer athlete who is doing some general research regarding squatting/powerlifting is going to encounter low bar style as "the right way to do things."

      Perhaps I should have been more clear for those people on the boards (read: you) who are going to take everything so literally.

      Either way I still stand by the position that a traditional high bar/narrow stance will have greater transfer to an increased vertical, due to a similar foot position, and greater recruitment from the calves.

      I also appreciate you bringing up the fact I've never squatted 500lbs. Funny thing is, I've never claimed to. I'm glad you're a positive member of this community, ****ting on me because I only squatted 455 for a triple, ass to grass, raw, after coming off of a long hiatus due to injury.

      So I'll just keep giving people "****ty advice" that has helped over 350 people in the last two years lose weight, double their squat and dead numbers, learn how to snatch, clean and jerk, win tournaments, come off medication for blood pressure and cholesterol, help people feel sexy in a wedding dress, improve mobility, decrease chronic joint pain, and a ton of other ****. And you can just keep doing whatever it is that you do.

    10. 01-19-2012 12:12 AM #80
      The reason why I mention the things you say is because you say it like it's the end-all be-all and there is no other way to it. Yes there are great low bar and high bar squatters in every form of gear or non gear. But the program will never determine the way a lifter keeps the bar on his back.

      455x3 "ass to grass", isn't that impressive. I remember you posting a video before of your squats and it wasn't that low. Not as low as you claimed it to be.

      That's great you help other people out, I said that when I tried to keep this to PMs, but any abundance of general nutrition and weightlifting advice can do that. I've put 100 pounds on peoples raw squat in a couple months...nobody cares. I have first place kids I coached to get there. Proves nothing...

      There are a million ways to do things, not just your way and until you can understand that you'll never be a great coach

    11. 01-19-2012 12:39 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      The reason why I mention the things you say is because you say it like it's the end-all be-all and there is no other way to it.
      I'm sorry if you take it that way. I think everyone is opinionated, and sometimes I probably don't bother to take the time to be totally clear. My bad. But again you seem to really dissect everything I say, which I don't get.

      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      455x3 "ass to grass", isn't that impressive.
      Cool story bro. I didn't say it was, but don't call me out on not being able to squat 500, when I squatted 455x3 pretty easily. 500 wasn't that far away, and I had not been dealing with bull**** medical issues, I would have crushed it by now. Either way saying anyone that has squatted 400+lbs at any body weight is "pathetic" just makes you a dick. True lovers of the sport don't **** on each other for their accomplishments, regardless of how they rank in the big scheme of things. If it makes you feel any better I hold state records in PL from when I was a teenager, and have squatted 420 for a triple on a box at 177lbs bw. Is that impressive enough for you?

      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      I remember you posting a video before of your squats and it wasn't that low. Not as low as you claimed it to be.


      Really? How much lower do you want me to go? My hamstrings are touching my calves at the bottom of those reps. I don't have 455 uploaded, I'll put it up tomorrow, and I promise they are every bit as deep.

      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      That's great you help other people out, I said that when I tried to keep this to PMs,
      And what were you hoping to accomplish with your PM exactly? Being an ******* and insulting me is a great way to get your point across.


      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98
      any abundance of general nutrition and weightlifting advice can do that. I've put 100 pounds on peoples raw squat in a couple months...nobody cares. I have first place kids I coached to get there. Proves nothing...
      So I just magically happened to help hundreds of people with what according to you is incorrect information? Don't tell me I suck at my job and then downplay it when I've actually helped a lot of people. Sounds like you've been working with a lot of young, healthy, athletic people. Go coach a 50 year old woman, who thinks that healthy eating is low fat and lots of pasta, that's scared to touch a weight and has a "bad back, hip, knee and wrist." and then come talk to me.


      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98
      There are a million ways to do things, not just your way and until you can understand that you'll never be a great coach
      Once again maybe you should take your own advice. Not that I feel the need to explain myself, but the majority of my free time is spent reading books. Not t-nation articles, not "informative e-news letters." Text books. Why? Because you can never know enough about the human body.


      So let's just quickly recap
      -You nitpick the things I say
      -I don't bother dealing with your bull****...again
      -You get mad and send me a PM telling me how "pathetic" I am.
      -I decide to get a laugh and post what you said here
      -You insult me again and try to call me out
      -I post to clearly explain what I'm talking about
      -You breeze over everything I said, not acknowledging my point, and continue to discredit me, and belittle my accomplishments both personally and professionally.
      -You try to give me some backhanded compliment under the guise of some superior wisdom you have.



      idk man, I used to think you were an alright dude, but lately you've just been a ****ing prick.

    12. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,634
      01-19-2012 09:33 AM #82
      If you're looking for quad development you could do your front squats after your deads.

      I can barely stand after doing DL ....
      I used to do the Hip sled but dropped that 100% .

      Chilled- Its not a natural motion for your knee/leg and therefore isn't good for the general health of them. If you want to hit your quads, find something free weight and compound.

      As In ? - Details man a link or something .

      - Front Squat 315x5 Last night .

    13. Member kryptonik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2003
      Location
      Salt Lake City, UT
      Posts
      3,058
      01-19-2012 09:34 AM #83
      I think both of you are pretty helpful, and great contributors to the forums, so if you could both nut up and take this to PMs/e-mails/etc so you guys don't get banned or get the thread shut down that would be great.

      As far as progress in the progress thread, I got 275 8*3 on squats on Tuesday. Pretty stoked. Most I have ever repped at that weight. Felt good too. WAs annoying because I had someone work in for the first 4 sets and they were doing 135, and then someone else work in the last two sets. AND, that asslick put the 35 on instead of the 25 for my last set. Luckily I noticed it when I unracked the bar.

    14. 01-19-2012 09:40 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      If you're looking for quad development you could do your front squats after your deads.

      I can barely stand after doing DL ....
      I used to do the Hip sled but dropped that 100% .

      Chilled- Its not a natural motion for your knee/leg and therefore isn't good for the general health of them. If you want to hit your quads, find something free weight and compound.

      As In ? - Details man a link or something .

      - Front Squat 315x5 Last night .
      Because the machine puts you in a position where 100% of the load is supported by the knee joint while the other muscles in the leg remain relaxed. Having the resistance applied to the foot, creates an unbelievable amount of sheer force on the knee joint. This will force your knee cap to press down on the joint and can damage cartilage , and is also dangerous for the ligaments of the knee.

    15. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,634
      01-19-2012 09:42 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Because the machine puts you in a position where 100% of the load is supported by the knee joint while the other muscles in the leg remain relaxed. Having the resistance applied to the foot, creates an unbelievable amount of sheer force on the knee joint. This will force your knee cap to press down on the joint and can damage cartilage , and is also dangerous for the ligaments of the knee.
      So what do you suggest other then front squats to do the same type of work ?

    16. Member kryptonik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2003
      Location
      Salt Lake City, UT
      Posts
      3,058
      01-19-2012 09:44 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      So what do you suggest other then front squats to do the same type of work ?
      Here you go brah. Take your pick
      http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Thi...l#anchor172012

      edit: I would personally suggest lunges, or step ups. But-das-jus-me.

    17. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,634
      01-19-2012 09:47 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Here you go brah. Take your pick
      http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Thi...l#anchor172012

      edit: I would personally suggest lunges, or step ups. But-das-jus-me.
      I already do lunges on Wednesday and Saturday .
      - Might try step ups if it wasnt for only chicks doing it ....

    18. 01-19-2012 09:51 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      I already do lunges on Wednesday and Saturday .
      - Might try step ups if it wasnt for only chicks doing it ....
      Step-ups and lunges were also going to be my suggestions



      I would also suggest pistols, though you'd probably have to do them on a box to start.

    19. 01-19-2012 10:55 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      I'll dissect this for others to learn, not to "argue".

      You look to be squatting high bar, can't really tell because you are a bigger guy and the angle. Looks like an OLY squat. Now, you squatting A2G, isn't really A2G...That is depth in Leaky and I's fed. Now looking at your leverages you can squat either high bar or low bar. You chose high bar. You can see how much your knees shoot forward in the hole for you to hit depth, thats not good. I understand that with OLY squats the knees come forward, but this isn't as natural. It doesn't matter how "big" you are. YOU would benefit from healed shoe. Contrary to popular belief a healed shoe (wood or steal soled) will help you SIT BACK more with your style of squatting. Now if you were sitting back more, and still going down, you could get another inch or so of depth. THAT would be ass to grass.

      Now if that is low bar (which if it is, its not traditional low bar, but thats not a bad thing just hard for me to see) then you squatting wide and knees forward is not good. Doesn't allow you to make best use of your leverages. You can sit back more than that. Which again will help you get lower.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      I already do lunges on Wednesday and Saturday .
      - Might try step ups if it wasnt for only chicks doing it ....
      so you are hitting your quads a lot. Find something to work your glutes and hams. This is what will increase your squat and pull.

      RDL- sumo for hip stretch and building
      Glute Ham Raise
      Back Extension
      Good Mornings
      Banded Leg Curls

      Split things up if you want to have a "front side" and "back side" day in simplistic terms. If things are too easy go on elitefts and buy bands and put them around your head (usually doubled for back extension), There are also a million variations of good mornings. I know you weren't looking for anything hamstring involved, but this is what will make you stronger and make your lifts go up.

      Oh and anyone who watches that ELITEFTS video, please dont ever box squat like that. Watch the louie simmons one he posted. THAT is box squatting. Notice the releasing of the hips on the box, and not that touch and go bull****. Touch and go does close to nothing for you. Releasing the hips while holding an arch does. Works explosive power.
      Last edited by autodubbin98; 01-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.

    20. 01-19-2012 11:06 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      I'll dissect this for others to learn, not to "argue".

      You look to be squatting high bar, can't really tell because you are a bigger guy and the angle. Looks like an OLY squat. Now, you squatting A2G, isn't really A2G...That is depth in Leaky and I's fed. Now looking at your leverages you can squat either high bar or low bar. You chose high bar. You can see how much your knees shoot forward in the hole for you to hit depth, thats not good. I understand that with OLY squats the knees come forward, but this isn't as natural. It doesn't matter how "big" you are. YOU would benefit from healed shoe. Contrary to popular belief a healed shoe (wood or steal soled) will help you SIT BACK more with your style of squatting. Now if you were sitting back more, and still going down, you could get another inch or so of depth. THAT would be ass to grass.
      The only thing we learned is you don't know what an Olympic style squat is. Because that is not it.

      Thanks for the tip about the shoes...oh wait I already own two pairs (VS. and Pendlays). I just happened to not be wearing them in this video, since as I stated before I was just coming back to squatting, and my new kicks hadn't arrived yet. And yes it matters how big you are. When you have a bigger hamstring, it's going to make contact sooner, at which point going much deeper is going to press into your lower leg, which is part of the cause of my knees shooting forward. Along with being a quad dominant lifter.

    21. 01-19-2012 11:12 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      The only thing we learned is you don't know what an Olympic style squat is. Because that is not it.

      Thanks for the tip about the shoes...oh wait I already own two pairs (VS. and Pendlays). I just happened to not be wearing them in this video, since as I stated before I was just coming back to squatting, and my new kicks hadn't arrived yet. And yes it matters how big you are. When you have a bigger hamstring, it's going to make contact sooner, at which point going much deeper is going to press into your lower leg, which is part of the cause of my knees shooting forward. Along with being a quad dominant lifter.
      I'm not sure why you are being so defensive.

      You have a high bar position and your knees shoot forward, if they were closer together it would mimic an olympic squat. regardless of whether it is a "really high bar" position or a "high bar" position.
      I was once a high bar quad dominant lifter too...it places limitations on you. I understand that isn't an olympic style squat, I'm more so referring to bar position. Ok it matters how big you are, well if my knees shoot that far forward thats about the lowest I can go. That doesn't make it ass to grass.

      If you have limitations due to form and technique, thats on you. But its not that low.

    22. 01-19-2012 11:20 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      True lovers of the sport don't **** on each other for their accomplishments, regardless of how they rank in the big scheme of things.
      Just wanted to comment on this because it gave me acid reflux. Powerlifters may be some of the coolest, most helpful people in person but online, many of the same people who are sweethearts in person, turn into the most jealous, angry and petty retards you'll find anywhere. Which is why I haven't visited a powerlifting forum in at least 5 years.

    23. 01-19-2012 11:27 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      I'm not sure why you are being so defensive.
      Gee I don't know...maybe because you've been insulting me as a person, athlete, and coach for no reason other than you have a different view point of things than I do?

      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      I was once a high bar quad dominant lifter too...it places limitations on you. I understand that isn't an olympic style squat, I'm more so referring to bar position. Ok it matters how big you are, well if my knees shoot that far forward thats about the lowest I can go. That doesn't make it ass to grass.
      Again, you're nitpicking in hopes to save face. It's below parallel, and it's as deep as I can squat with my hips back. There is absolutely no point in me going any lower. If I were truly O squating I can sit my ass right onto my calves.

    24. 01-19-2012 11:31 AM #94
      AND THAT IS FINE. That is what I'm saying. It is the lowest you can possibly go with squatting like that.

      That doesn't mean its THAT low. Yes you would get 3 white lights in the toughest of feds. But its NOT an A2G squat.

      I'm not nit picking, its just not that low, regardless of your size.

      Edit: I actually don't know about the white lights. It looks like with your knees going that far forward that your hip SEAM doesn't pass the knee which is needed for depth.
      Last edited by autodubbin98; 01-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.

    25. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      21,553
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-19-2012 11:47 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      Just wanted to comment on this because it gave me acid reflux. Powerlifters may be some of the coolest, most helpful people in person but online, many of the same people who are sweethearts in person, turn into the most jealous, angry and petty retards you'll find anywhere. Which is why I haven't visited a powerlifting forum in at least 5 years.
      the powerlifting gym i was at was full of jealous, slack jawed morons that had ****ty jobs and retard strength. god forbid someone at your gym have a white collar job and have to wear a shirt and tie to work. basically, if you made over 25 grand a year it intimidated them and they didnt want to help you even though you were nothing but nice and there to learn and were doing deadlifts when it was 28 degrees inside the gym and everyone else took an off day.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

    26. 01-19-2012 12:32 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      I'm not nit picking
      lol

    27. Member bharry07's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2006
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      mk3s
      01-19-2012 05:17 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      take your shoes off, wearing a shoe like that the hell compresses, it also makes you put your weight on your toes, you want to be sitting back into it with your weightr on the heels.

      x2 to the 'dancing' - you want to makes sure you are pulling that thing nice and stable. walk up to the bar, set yourself up, lift.

      also, you dont touch the ground between deadlifts, put it on the ground then start again. your strength for your size is good but you need some minor tweaks.
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      I'm sure most on here will agree when I say that you shouldn't tap-and-go on deadlifts. let the bar rest, take another rep.

      Not sure was all the dancing around at the beginning is either. Get your grip tight, get a firm starting position, and pull smoothly.

      Other than that it doesn't look too bad.
      Thank you both
      Dan's Auto Sales & Repair CT Auto Repair and Used Car
      Creep....

      IM me for Air Ride Installs, Frame notches, ect.

    28. Member dcmix5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      2,839
      Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-19-2012 07:14 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by bharry07 View Post
      Thank you both
      From what I can tell, it also looks like you are using your arms and shoulders a bit to aid the lift, and you want them to simply be hooks only. I could be wrong though, you might already be doing so.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

    29. 01-19-2012 07:21 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      the powerlifting gym i was at was full of jealous, slack jawed morons that had ****ty jobs and retard strength. god forbid someone at your gym have a white collar job and have to wear a shirt and tie to work. basically, if you made over 25 grand a year it intimidated them and they didnt want to help you even though you were nothing but nice and there to learn and were doing deadlifts when it was 28 degrees inside the gym and everyone else took an off day.
      Ouch... I've been pretty fortunate that the guys I've met are all really pleasant in person, including the sport's "elite". One guy even put me up in his house when I came down for a meet - kicked his daughter out of her room to give me a place to sleep. But then the same guy later blew up on me online for absolutely no reason, calling me names like I just knocked up said daughter. Testosterone, meat-headedness and anonymity don't add up to love and peace.

    30. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,653
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-19-2012 07:25 PM #100
      Weight: 205
      Bench: 1 set of 5 @ 180
      Squat: 1 set of 5 @ 230
      I haven't dead lifted before today, so I kept it light to try to get the feel for it. I like the idea of this thread, hopefully it stays on topic. I'm trying to find out what this body is capable of doing and I'm really motivated. Not much of a resolutioner, as I've been in the gym for a few months steady now, working it into a habit. Just started reading in here and getting really interested in real lifts.

      (all units in pounds unless otherwise noted)
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    31. Member dcmix5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2006
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      2,839
      Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-19-2012 07:32 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Weight: 205
      Bench: 1 set of 5 @ 180
      Squat: 1 set of 5 @ 230
      I haven't dead lifted before today, so I kept it light to try to get the feel for it. I like the idea of this thread, hopefully it stays on topic. I'm trying to find out what this body is capable of doing and I'm really motivated. Not much of a resolutioner, as I've been in the gym for a few months steady now, working it into a habit. Just started reading in here and getting really interested in real lifts.

      (all units in pounds unless otherwise noted)
      The mistake I made when I started deadlifts was going too heavy, too fast. You mentioned going light, and that is a great idea in order to get the proper flat back, and form, etc. I would load up 315 or more and bang as many out as I could, and eventually, my back would start to roll and I would just keep going like a dummy.

      Result?

      One fine morning I woke up and it felt like I got kicked by a horse in the spine. I didn't feel it in the gym, but I apparently popped something because I was being stupid. That cost me 3 months of deadlifts, and now I am back to square one on them strength wise, but I have learned my lesson.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

    32. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,653
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-19-2012 08:09 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      You mentioned going light, and that is a great idea in order to get the proper flat back, and form, etc.
      I think I was at 135? I figured a single plate each end will get me to the right starting height for the bar. I've heard some conflicting deadlift etiquette though. At the lowest point in the lift, the back-to-thigh angle is 90*?

      I'm just excited to see how far I can go and I've already learned a ton in this forum. Thanks to the regulars who post useful information.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    33. 01-19-2012 08:38 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      Ouch... I've been pretty fortunate that the guys I've met are all really pleasant in person, including the sport's "elite". One guy even put me up in his house when I came down for a meet - kicked his daughter out of her room to give me a place to sleep. But then the same guy later blew up on me online for absolutely no reason, calling me names like I just knocked up said daughter. Testosterone, meat-headedness and anonymity don't add up to love and peace.
      How did your road to 700 bench go?

    34. 01-19-2012 08:40 PM #104
      Had a pretty good workout.

      ended up getting 240lbs on incline DB x 8

      and ended my workout with wide grip barbell bench 225x3x8

    35. Member chaugner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 13th, 2002
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      5,672
      Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      01-19-2012 08:47 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      Deadlift 385x3

      Don't fall behind chaugner
      lolz ... 285 x 9 on my last set. Still on sets of 10 until I feel a bit more confident with my back being better. I think its time, next week going for 5x5 again and hoping to be back above 315. Trying to catch up ... vroom vroom

    Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •