Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Results 276 to 300 of 2220

    Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

    1. 02-14-2012 09:49 AM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Dude. So clean.
      Thanks man! I hate how it always looks so smooth and kinda easy on video. Each rep feels like it takes 15 seconds.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      605x2 DL
      Yeeehaaaa now on to 650 ....

      I will get a combined 1500 even if that means
      500 bench
      1000 DL

      Why such a low target? Your squat is probably around 600 too right, I think I remember seeing that your bench is in the 4s, you should be aiming for like 16-1700.
      Last edited by TheJuggernaut; 02-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 7th, 2000
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      3,245
      02-14-2012 12:29 PM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut
      Learned from last week, tried 595x2 again, victoreh


      Your vids are inspirational. I watch them before I work out. Great job on the lifts.

    3. 02-14-2012 12:33 PM #278
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      Your vids are inspirational. I watch them naked.
      damn dude

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 7th, 2000
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      3,245
      02-14-2012 12:33 PM #279
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      605x2 DL
      Yeeehaaaa now on to 650 ....

      I will get a combined 1500 even if that means
      500 bench
      1000 DL

      You're a lifting machine. You've put 50lbs on your DL in the time it took me to put on 15, and I'm a a much lighter weight.

    5. 02-14-2012 01:26 PM #280
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      Your vids are inspirational. I watch them before I work out. Great job on the lifts.
      Thanks dude, I appreciate that!

      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      You're a lifting machine. You've put 50lbs on your DL in the time it took me to put on 15, and I'm a a much lighter weight.
      Putting more weight on a heavier starting point isn't as big a deal. I sometimes forget that when I train my wife. She feels stronger and wants to try a PR. I always feel like well throw on 10 lbs, make a small jump. On my lifts, 10lbs one way or the other will often not make a difference. but to her, it's a 10% increase, it's like me throwing 60 lbs on the bar to try a "small PR".

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,461
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST
      02-14-2012 04:38 PM #281
      Coming from someone who historically never did any core work...

      Today I did a bunch of lunges holding 55lb dbs up in the air. I want to vomit and take a nap in it now

    7. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      8,230
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      02-15-2012 09:30 AM #282
      I picked up straps last night. Have to wait till tomorrow to try them out though . I want to dead lift. I think I can do 300 for 1x5 at least. I've gotten 1x2 on two different occasions, but I can't keep the bar in my left hand.
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

    8. 02-15-2012 09:41 AM #283
      Throw them out

    9. Member kryptonik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2003
      Location
      Salt Lake City, UT
      Posts
      3,491
      Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      02-15-2012 09:49 AM #284
      I wouldn't use my straps for deads, just because I feel like you shouldn't lift weight that you can't hold on to. BUTTTT, I do use them for rows and shrugs, after my deads.

      While I know this is somewhat contradictory, I have much more control over my rows and whatnot with the straps, as I am not fighting to hold on with grip that is already pretty burnt out.

      Though, I also have an itch to go for a 1rm with straps on deads.


      As far as progress, yesterday I went for an 'all out" set on deads after my work sets, and hit 315x9. I could have gotten one or two more, but I didn't want to fail, or let me form degrade too bad. I will have the video on here for reviews tonight/tomorrow.
      Last edited by kryptonik; 02-15-2012 at 09:51 AM.

    10. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      21,554
      Vehicles
      Is300
      02-15-2012 10:03 AM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I picked up straps last night. Have to wait till tomorrow to try them out though . I want to dead lift. I think I can do 300 for 1x5 at least. I've gotten 1x2 on two different occasions, but I can't keep the bar in my left hand.
      throw them in a trash. straps arent going to help your grip, they just make you dependant on straps.


      doing static holds/more deads will get that fixed in no time.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

    11. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      8,230
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      02-15-2012 10:16 AM #286
      Interesting reviews. I was somewhat hesitant to get them. So the general consensus is that keeping at it, strapless, is the best way to improve?
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

    12. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      21,554
      Vehicles
      Is300
      02-15-2012 10:26 AM #287
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Interesting reviews. I was somewhat hesitant to get them. So the general consensus is that keeping at it, strapless, is the best way to improve?
      yes. build the grip. are you using mixed grip or double overhand? i used to always use mixed but now greatly prefer double overhand and it has more carryover elsewhere imo.

      also, using straps you get lumped in with all the other dip****s that use them on everything from benching to lat pull downs.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

    13. 02-15-2012 11:12 AM #288
      i deadlift double overhand as well and i ****ing love it. i'll never go back to a mixed grip just because this is that much more comfortable to me.

      my suggestion for making your grip catch up is pretty simple. and USE CHALK.

      deads:

      warmup
      double overhand singles up to your max (it will be significantly lower than your actual deadlift max at first, mine was a good 65lb difference when i started)
      do whatever your routine is (5x5, 5/3/1, whatever) with DO grip. if your grip fails you, lower the weight. force that grip to be the limiting factor.
      barbell shrugs, DO grip, many reps.. 4x10 at least
      finish up with some static holds (DO grip.... see what i'm getting at?)

      eventually your grip will strengthen and it won't be the limiting factor anymore. at that point continue with your routine as normal.

    14. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      21,554
      Vehicles
      Is300
      02-15-2012 11:38 AM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      i deadlift double overhand as well and i ****ing love it. i'll never go back to a mixed grip just because this is that much more comfortable to me.

      my suggestion for making your grip catch up is pretty simple. and USE CHALK.

      deads:

      warmup
      double overhand singles up to your max (it will be significantly lower than your actual deadlift max at first, mine was a good 65lb difference when i started)
      do whatever your routine is (5x5, 5/3/1, whatever) with DO grip. if your grip fails you, lower the weight. force that grip to be the limiting factor.
      barbell shrugs, DO grip, many reps.. 4x10 at least
      finish up with some static holds (DO grip.... see what i'm getting at?)

      eventually your grip will strengthen and it won't be the limiting factor anymore. at that point continue with your routine as normal.
      oh yea, forgot to mention chalk . if your gym doesnt allow it buy a little bag of non marking chalk from a store that sells mountain climbing supplies. easy to sneak in under the radar.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

    15. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      8,230
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      02-15-2012 12:06 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      oh yea, forgot to mention chalk . if your gym doesnt allow it buy a little bag of non marking chalk from a store that sells mountain climbing supplies. easy to sneak in under the radar.
      Awesome. I didn't know that existed. That was part of my issue. Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'm returning my straps!
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

    16. 02-15-2012 02:02 PM #291
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Interesting reviews. I was somewhat hesitant to get them. So the general consensus is that keeping at it, strapless, is the best way to improve?
      If you don't care about your grip strength and don't intend to deadlift competitively, and just want to improve your deadlift, use the straps. No need to get your hands torn up, and risk a biceps injury from an alternating grip just because you get bullied into doing it the "manly" way. (there's also anecdotal evidence that using an alternating grip can cause back muscle imbalances)

      I would only suggest that you try to refrain from using them until you need them. Like don't strap up on your 135 sets, just when you get to a weight you know you can't hold on to. It's a perfectly useful lifting aid like any other (including chalk), just don't depend on it like a blankey that you have to have on all the time (like a lot of people do with lifting belts).

    17. 02-15-2012 02:14 PM #292
      Don't feel this warrants a new thread, a friend made a poster for the "...thinks I do" meme on Powerlifting, I felt it wasn't quite right so I made one I feel is closer to the truth:


    18. 02-15-2012 05:12 PM #293
      pretty good jugg

    19. 02-15-2012 07:49 PM #294
      FWIW I never used straps until I started Weightlifting. When you're doing multiple sets from the hang position they come in handy, cuz it's nearly impossible to hook grip coming down from the top. But I've never needed straps for deadlifts or anything like that, and I have tiny hands.
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

    20. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      02-15-2012 09:29 PM #295
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      Throw them out
      scumbag lifter

      Throw out straps , posts all his lifts with bench shirt on .


    21. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      02-15-2012 09:31 PM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      Thanks man! I hate how it always looks so smooth and kinda easy on video. Each rep feels like it takes 15 seconds.



      Why such a low target? Your squat is probably around 600 too right, I think I remember seeing that your bench is in the 4s, you should be aiming for like 16-1700.
      My squat ATG is only 415 x2 right now.
      Last time I tried horizontal it was 455 last year.
      Bench is 405x1 here and there, I havent gotten it consistent yet.
      Granted I should try for a max again since I am getting 315 x5 on my last set of 5x5 now.

    22. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      02-15-2012 09:37 PM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      You're a lifting machine. You've put 50lbs on your DL in the time it took me to put on 15, and I'm a a much lighter weight.
      In the past year its over 100pds , but you have to remeber I went from not DL at all to DL 1-2x a week now .... my straight leg no strap lift is 405 ....

      With straps its now 600 with out it maxes out at 455ish .
      Only other time I use my straps is for chin ups/ pull ups and...... single arm rows , only due to using the curl bar as a my one arm row bar for 135pds
      throw 2 25pd plates per side + the bar = from every one else in the gym

    23. 02-15-2012 09:39 PM #298
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      scumbag lifter

      Throw out straps , posts all his lifts with bench shirt on .

      Seriously? LOL. Your bench is like 10 pounds more than mine raw and I PAUSE mine on my chest. I'm also 22 @ 205 pounds. **** off. How does gear make me a scumbag lifter?

    24. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      02-15-2012 09:46 PM #299
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      Seriously? LOL. Your bench is like 10 pounds more than mine raw and I PAUSE mine on my chest. I'm also 22 @ 205 pounds. **** off. How does gear make me a scumbag lifter?
      I was to lazy to make a meme ....

      Its ok to use a shirt or a squat suit but not straps when they all do the same thing.
      Help you lift more.

    25. 02-15-2012 09:48 PM #300
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      I was to lazy to make a meme ....

      Its ok to use a shirt or a squat suit but not straps when they all do the same thing.
      Help you lift more.
      Right, because you can just throw a shirt on and magically bench more!!!

      Haha, you will always be one of the most ignorant people on this forum. Your lack of knowledge about anything is astonishing.

    Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •