Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Results 631 to 665 of 2220

    Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,231
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      04-01-2012 02:45 PM #631
      new bench PR

      warmup
      275x5
      300x3
      315x2
      315x1

    2. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-01-2012 07:08 PM #632
      Question about squatting with a belt.

      I've been doing stronglifts 5x5. I haven't used a back belt when squatting until today. I did 205 today, first set with a belt and the second without a belt. I noticed immediately that the belt made the lift easier. It was as if I didn't even have to think about posture, and it was easier to go lower.

      So question is, would it be better to continue squatting without the belt to strengthen my core better or should I use the belt. Either way I would've handled the 5x5, but it was much more comfortable with the belt.

      I'm pretty happy with this program btw, just over 6 weeks ago I never squatted before and had trouble going parallel with 135. 205 today without any trouble, I know it's nothing compared to you ****ing monsters but it feels good. Im 5'7 155, not trying to gain weight with summer coming, I'm wondering when I can expect to plateau with squats at this weight.
      Last edited by ultimate steve; 04-01-2012 at 07:14 PM.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,231
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      04-01-2012 07:32 PM #633
      My 54 year old mother was asking how my dad was doing at the gym. We discussed how much weight he did, and then she asked how much she would be able to do at certain things. So then we got home and I decided to see how much she can bench. I fully expected her to fail at 45lbs, that seems to be the case with girls my age who have never trained before. She surprised me and worked all the way up to 85lbs, which she did fairly easily. I could see her doing 100 with just a little bit of practice, she did 85 somewhat easily.

      I have seen young men lift less before, especially for the very first time doing it.

    4. 04-01-2012 08:26 PM #634
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Question about squatting with a belt...
      If you find it easier to go deeper with a belt on, that means the belt is masking some kind of mobility issue you have, so I would forgo it until you at least correct that.

    5. 04-01-2012 08:35 PM #635
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      , I'm wondering when I can expect to plateau with squats at this weight.
      ...When you think about plateaus long before they even happen. To me you already did mentally. Lifting is more mental then physical. The body just follows.

    6. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-01-2012 09:08 PM #636
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      If you find it easier to go deeper with a belt on, that means the belt is masking some kind of mobility issue you have, so I would forgo it until you at least correct that.
      Even if I still go parallel without? I have the bars in the squat rack set up so if I get the bar within about 2 inches to touching its parallel. With the belt I was sometimes hitting the spotting bars or whatever you call them. So Id say I might be going a little past parallel with the belt. It's hard to tell though because I'm working alone, just going by what I see in the side mirror when I do a warmup with no weight on the bar.

    7. 04-01-2012 09:22 PM #637
      If you can't squat below parallel without a belt you need to work on your mobility.

    8. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,807
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-01-2012 09:44 PM #638
      Isn't squatting to parallel like a minimum..? You should set your bars lower.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    9. 04-01-2012 09:58 PM #639
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Even if I still go parallel without? I have the bars in the squat rack set up so if I get the bar within about 2 inches to touching its parallel. With the belt I was sometimes hitting the spotting bars or whatever you call them. So Id say I might be going a little past parallel with the belt. It's hard to tell though because I'm working alone, just going by what I see in the side mirror when I do a warmup with no weight on the bar.
      That is a terrible way to judge depth. You could just be leaning over or "folding" more to hit them sooner with the added core support of the belt

    10. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-02-2012 12:40 AM #640
      Not sure what you mean by folding, but I'm definitely not leaning forward.

    11. 04-02-2012 08:54 PM #641
      Today was brutal

      8x3 of snatches, 8 sets of PC+front squat+4 Push jerks. 5x5 of squats, 3x3 of snatch pulls.

      FML.

    12. Member motherleopard28's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2004
      Location
      west hartford ct
      Posts
      2,087
      Vehicles
      4dr golf
      04-04-2012 11:09 AM #642
      took a few days off because i was sick ... its crazy how fast strength can drop .. also started doing overhead squats .. those fry shoulders going to hit heavy 1rm bench see if i can get 275
      ct. getlow

    13. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,637
      04-04-2012 10:07 PM #643
      Front squat 315x5
      Bench 325x5

      Yeeehaaaa
      Cool part of this it's a constant thing !
      Time to up weight , time to make 245 my warm up weigh lol

    14. 04-05-2012 09:37 AM #644
      You bench more than you front squat? C'mon son.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2006
      Posts
      3,231
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      04-05-2012 11:18 AM #645
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      You bench more than you front squat? C'mon son.
      lol

    16. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,637
      04-05-2012 02:08 PM #646
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      You bench more than you front squat? C'mon son.
      yeah short arms = easier bench

      Shoot I all but front squat as much as I back squat .

      - Wait I bench more then some DL here .....

    17. Member Residentevol's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2000
      Location
      RAF Mildenhall, UK
      Posts
      6,378
      Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      04-06-2012 02:12 AM #647
      Finally got some progress to put in here..Been doing the SL 5x5 for about 9 weeks now and was able to squeak out a PR for 1rm on the bench. 240...Weak sauce compared to most in here but seeing how when I started in Feb my max was 205 it's a big change for me..(not sure what my other max's are I need to try that all out to get an idea of where I'm at now)

      I can feel my body changing it's pretty insane how much better I feel after living such a sedentary life....

      My work weights on the program are all still manageble I have yet to hit any plateau's or miss my reps. Still pretty light compared to what you guys are working with but we all have to start somewhere. Thurs workout was

      Squat 5x5 - 170
      Overhead press 5x5 - 105
      Deadlift 1x5 - 215

    18. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,807
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-06-2012 08:04 AM #648
      I wish someone had told me how much better a morning workout is a long time ago

      I just dead lifted 345 for a set of three. STRAPLESS! This up from 325 with straps last go 'round (albeit that was for 5x5, but I'm still stoked).
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    19. 04-07-2012 08:55 PM #649
      so the next 30 days are going to be exciting.

      I told my girlfriend I was going to bulk, she's on board. I bought an obscene amount of pasta, eggs, milk, chocolate syrup. I plan on drenching everything in olive oil and butter. protein pancakes till I puke every morning.

      bulking is my specialty. haven't done a real bulk in a few years. the occasion? I got me some oxymetholone.

      time to get serious. progress to follow...maybe pics but progress pics from lean to fat isn't sexy. LOL

      I'm hoping this goes as well as everyone tells me it should!

    20. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,637
      04-07-2012 10:55 PM #650
      Psh it's not that hard most here do it every day !

      Especially me ! Lol

    21. 04-08-2012 02:35 PM #651
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      so the next 30 days are going to be exciting.

      I told my girlfriend I was going to bulk, she's on board. I bought an obscene amount of pasta, eggs, milk, chocolate syrup. I plan on drenching everything in olive oil and butter. protein pancakes till I puke every morning.

      bulking is my specialty. haven't done a real bulk in a few years. the occasion? I got me some oxymetholone.

      time to get serious. progress to follow...maybe pics but progress pics from lean to fat isn't sexy. LOL

      I'm hoping this goes as well as everyone tells me it should!
      Why only 30 days?

      And I'm only an inch taller than you and when I get up around 210 I feel like absolute ****. You have the same issues?

    22. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-08-2012 03:26 PM #652
      Anyone ever do the gallon of milk a day for bulking up? Sounds gross IMO. But does seem like an easy way to get the calories.

    23. 04-08-2012 04:02 PM #653
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Anyone ever do the gallon of milk a day for bulking up? Sounds gross IMO. But does seem like an easy way to get the calories.
      A buddy of mine tried to do it, but it ruined him.

    24. 04-08-2012 04:35 PM #654
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      Why only 30 days?

      And I'm only an inch taller than you and when I get up around 210 I feel like absolute ****. You have the same issues?
      yeah I've been 215 before, it was horrible. I wanted to lay down all the time and I couldn't tie my shoes. LOL

      30 days is plenty for a first run of a50 imo

    25. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-08-2012 08:45 PM #655
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      A buddy of mine tried to do it, but it ruined him.
      Made him fat? It honestly sounds awful. I can't even imagine doing a whole carton let alone a gallon.

    26. 04-08-2012 09:32 PM #656
      Nah just made him sick and feel like **** 24/7

    27. 04-09-2012 12:10 AM #657
      When I was on a push to be 220 I was around 3/4 - a full gallon a day. Its really not that bad. I absolutely love milk. I just found that I was sacrificing food for milk, when the idea is to have milk to be a supplemented part of your diet.

    28. 04-09-2012 12:27 AM #658
      yeah I did about 3/4 a gallon today. I just basically chug it down at the end of my meals. I'm sure I'll be sick of it soon lol

    29. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-09-2012 01:57 AM #659
      I could drink milk with any meal. Love milk but a gallon a day is a lot of damn milk. Even if you have it with each meal.

    30. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,637
      04-09-2012 03:23 PM #660
      ugh I would be ****ting my brains out

      -lactose intolerant

    31. Member ultimate steve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2003
      Location
      west islip NY
      Posts
      7,247
      Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-09-2012 06:14 PM #661
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      ugh I would be ****ting my brains out

      -lactose intolerant
      Do you drink lactose free milk? I switched a couple years ago = I drink all I want and no gas. Plus I think it taste better.

    32. 04-09-2012 06:49 PM #662
      I'm mildly lactose intolerant. large amounts of milk make me crazy gassy. I might look into lactose free milk

    33. 04-09-2012 08:52 PM #663
      Yeah I only drink lactose removed milk. Doesn't bother my stomach one bit.

    34. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,807
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      04-09-2012 09:56 PM #664
      I haven't really tried to figure out maxes ever, but since I'm doing the 5x5, I'll use those numbers.

      Bench - 215
      Dead lift - 325
      Squat - 185

      Why is my squat so low? Also, by the following day, my arms feel pretty good after benching, my chest is a little sore but by day 2 it's great. My back feels tight-but-awesome the day after dead lifting, and my posture is excellent. I struggle to walk for 2-3 days after squatting usually. It's in my thighs; they get super tight and don't want to move to allow me to walk and such. Any ideas? It's not terribly painful, just an annoyance, really.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    35. 04-09-2012 10:06 PM #665
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I haven't really tried to figure out maxes ever, but since I'm doing the 5x5, I'll use those numbers.

      Bench - 215
      Dead lift - 325
      Squat - 185

      Why is my squat so low? Also, by the following day, my arms feel pretty good after benching, my chest is a little sore but by day 2 it's great. My back feels tight-but-awesome the day after dead lifting, and my posture is excellent. I struggle to walk for 2-3 days after squatting usually. It's in my thighs; they get super tight and don't want to move to allow me to walk and such. Any ideas? It's not terribly painful, just an annoyance, really.
      You probably aren't active enough. You should spend at least 15 minutes rolling and doing dynamic work before squatting and you should be doing static stretching after. On days following walking really helps. You need to get the blood back to the muscle. You can also do your dynamic warm up stuff and static stretching on days following which will also help with DOMS.

      Your squat is low because you allow it to be. Most people just don't know what they're capable of. Lead with the mind, the body will follow.

    Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •