Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

1. 05-13-2012 03:10 PM #876
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Ya. Not a negative.

I managed to pull 375x1 tonight. I hope to hit 400 shortly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Pulled 375 for a 3x3 last week. Missed the last 2 but pumped irregardless. I'm gonna go back to 365 to get a full 5x5, then go up.

Good stuff Are you guys pulling sumo? Rob what do you weigh?
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-13-2012 04:27 PM #877
      Pulling traditional now after pulling sumo for a few years. I'm 5'6" so I think I should be better with a sumo stance but I just can't generate power the same way.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-14-2012 07:21 AM #878
      Never tried sumo. I weigh 215.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      05-14-2012 02:26 PM #879
      I'm gonna try sumo Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

5. 05-14-2012 11:59 PM #880
      I've heard sumo was "better" for the bigger guys because it involved more hip flexors?

I have absolutely nothing to corroborate this going purely on anecdote, never tried sumo

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      05-15-2012 07:51 AM #881
      Quote Originally Posted by vwcool View Post
      I've heard sumo was "better" for the bigger guys because it involved more hip flexors?

I have absolutely nothing to corroborate this going purely on anecdote, never tried sumo
      with sumo I generally pull 50 lbs more. As others have said, it puts a lot more emphasis on hips and legs and less on the overall lower back. I generally combine both by doing 3x5 traditional, add 50lbs and 2x5 sumo. This way I put enough emphasis on lower back but still feel like arnold pulling more weight lol

05-15-2012 09:01 AM #882
      My Retarded 5x5 for deadlift

315x5
      365x5
      405x5
      455x5
      500x5

Still had energy so 585x2 but missed 600x1

05-15-2012 05:30 PM #883
      Quote Originally Posted by chaugner View Post
      with sumo I generally pull 50 lbs more. As others have said, it puts a lot more emphasis on hips and legs and less on the overall lower back. I generally combine both by doing 3x5 traditional, add 50lbs and 2x5 sumo. This way I put enough emphasis on lower back but still feel like arnold pulling more weight lol
      Which is why next time I start doing deads again I'll try sumo, I've repeatedly injured my lower back even going light weight. I took off about a year and did a lot of good mornings and reverse hypers, last mionth I gave doing deads a shot again (just doing multiple sets of 3-5 w/ 135 concentrating on form) and my lower back gave up the ghost the 2nd time. FML

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-15-2012 05:34 PM #884
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      Which is why next time I start doing deads again I'll try sumo, I've repeatedly injured my lower back even going light weight. I took off about a year and did a lot of good mornings and reverse hypers, last mionth I gave doing deads a shot again (just doing multiple sets of 3-5 w/ 135 concentrating on form) and my lower back gave up the ghost the 2nd time. FML
      Do you think theres an underlying issue here other than improper form?
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

10. 05-15-2012 08:29 PM #885
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Do you think theres an underlying issue here other than improper form?
      As if improper form isn't a good reason?
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

05-15-2012 08:36 PM #886
      been through phys therapy and had an ortho take an xray and didn't see any problems. Brother suggested lordosis as I got weight to lose and I am a deskbound most of my day. So i've started doing warrior stretches and shoulder dislocations.

As far as form, I used to have videos from years ago up when I first started but I can't find them now. I've kept the weight at 135 just doing small sets concentrating on form.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-16-2012 08:15 AM #887
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      As if improper form isn't a good reason?
      No it definitely is, but I was just wondering if maybe he'd had a relevant injury or other condition.

05-16-2012 09:55 PM #888
      Dropped 385 for single on front squat :-(

14. Member
      05-18-2012 08:54 AM #889
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Pulling traditional now after pulling sumo for a few years. I'm 5'6" so I think I should be better with a sumo stance but I just can't generate power the same way.
      I'm surprised you didn't notice any hip irritation pulling sumo that long. I can only do it for 4-6 weeks and then go back to traditional. I do this for 10-12 weeks and then go back to sumo.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-18-2012 09:38 AM #890
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      I'm surprised you didn't notice any hip irritation pulling sumo that long. I can only do it for 4-6 weeks and then go back to traditional. I do this for 10-12 weeks and then go back to sumo.
      My hips tend to be pretty tight (external rotators) in general anyway. Thankfully I trade services with my RMT so I get treated every 2 weeks...it's not fun, but needed.

I have pulled traditional since about October, so I am going to try sumo again and see how it goes.
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      05-18-2012 10:34 AM #891
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      thats actually a good point. When I am too busy with work I generally combine some excercises if I do not have enough gym time. My favorite "killer" is squat (low bar and high bar), deads (traditional and sumo), good mornings, barbell rows.

Surely a hip killer and takes some time for recovery but maximizing your muscle areas hit. I do feel it in my hips a bit if I overdo it ...

17. 05-18-2012 11:00 AM #892
      I trained the **** out of my hips with low box squats, pulling twice a week (sumo), and squatting max effort singles all in the same week for about 6-7 months. Haven't squatted or pulled in about a month and my hips still ache. However I got very strong, so it was worth it.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-18-2012 01:58 PM #893
      The last time I squatted anything over 85% was at the comp in February. I hit a 335 single today at legal depth which is 10lbs higher than at the comp. in Feb. #sheiko

podi.ca

19. 05-18-2012 11:11 PM #894
      Good work on the PR. I am not a sheiko fan at all. At least not on their higher volume templates. I get nothing out of 75-90% work for meet peaking and PR work

20. 05-18-2012 11:26 PM #895
      Worked up to 275 on front squats today just for the hell of it. Heaviest I've front squatted since I started training again. No pain, so that's a plus. It was really, really, really easy.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-19-2012 10:11 PM #896
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      Good work on the PR. I am not a sheiko fan at all. At least not on their higher volume templates. I get nothing out of 75-90% work for meet peaking and PR work
      To be honest the volume is nothing short of insane. I see progress with it but I think with some volume adjustments I would prefer a more Westside approach with some small tweaks.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      05-22-2012 10:31 AM #897
      Went to an ortho/sports doc yesterday for what was diagnosed as an "almost hernia". Not the case. Damaged my erector adonis, or something like that. Should clear up on it's own. Also was diagnosed with FAI. Kinda ****ty there, but, my hip wasn't bothering me before this entire thing, so hopefully it'll go back to hiding once this settles down.

Regardless, I'm stoked that there is no hernia going on.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      05-22-2012 08:35 PM #898
      Anyone here take agmatine?

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

24. 05-23-2012 02:15 AM #899
      did bodyweight squats for the first time since february

also hit a 1RM of carrying a loaded laundry basket up the stairs without severe knee pain

boom bitches

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-23-2012 07:38 AM #900
      Been slacking due to a move. Getting to the gym like once a week for the last two weeks I think. I miss it. I tried out dumbbell bench presses yesterday and faaaaack

Vehicles
      2003 VW Gti 20th AE
      05-23-2012 09:50 AM #901
      After spraining my ankle last month I was basically useless and couldn't do any lifts involving my legs. Tried squats and deads again this past week and no pain at all and not a noticeable decline in strength

I'm going to give it another week before I push my luck.
      -Matt

27. 05-23-2012 10:54 PM #902
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      did bodyweight squats for the first time since february

also hit a 1RM of carrying a loaded laundry basket up the stairs without severe knee pain

boom bitches

are you injured?

Also my coach is insane, and had me doing hang power snatches with 85% of my full snatch max today. fml.

28. 05-24-2012 11:03 AM #903
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      are you injured?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patello..._pain_syndrome

i'm over 2 months into it and i'm finally regaining enough stability in my knee to do the basic **** like use stairs, walk without a limp, etc

lots of RICE'ing, basic quad strengthening movements, and ... uh ... sitting around waiting

29. 05-24-2012 10:30 PM #904
      that sounds ****ty brah. My knees hurt every day, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's from snatching, cleaning, jerking and squatting 6 days a week.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-25-2012 07:02 AM #905
      Been getting very little sleep the last week or two. Had to stop at 315 just to pull a solid 3x5

The new place I'm at is not convenient to any good gyms. If I lift at work, my options are to rush and get in, showered and out in under an hour, or wait about an hour and a half for the next train. I'm still trying to figure out a good solution. I've figured out that lifting before work just isn't gonna happen. I can't get to sleep before 10.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 09:03 AM #906
      Anyone have a recommendation for how best to find a gym that's local and not so cardio-centric or crossfit-esque? I just want to keep lifting, but I'm not really sure how to find a place that'll work for me.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      05-30-2012 09:54 AM #907
      When I was hunting for a gym I just called every place around, and asked how many racks they had, and if I could use chalk. The chalk was the way I weeded out the ****ty places. Only bummer was only one place said I could use it.

I don't know about your area, but check out Universities as well. I lift at my old college, and while the frat bros and groups of people can get annoying at times, it costs me less than 10$ a month, and is an all around awesome facility. Plus, the sorority chicks make for decent eye candy.

05-30-2012 10:38 AM #908
      Kryptonik--

Is he recommending surgery for ur FAI? Both hips? And can u squat lower than parrelel with a wide stance, pain free?(minus other things ur dealing with)
      I'm waiting for my new insurance next week to go get checked out. Mine grind with a really wide squat stance if I break parellel. I only box squat now to avoid it, with a box right at parrelel.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      05-30-2012 10:43 AM #909
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Kryptonik--

Is he recommending surgery for ur FAI? Both hips? And can u squat lower than parrelel with a wide stance, pain free?(minus other things ur dealing with)
      I'm waiting for my new insurance next week to go get checked out. Mine grind with a really wide squat stance if I break parellel. I only box squat now to avoid it, with a box right at parrelel.
      Not at the moment. I'm going back in a month for a check up. It's only me right hip. I've never really squatted very wide, so I'm not sure. I'd imagine it'd be okay, as I haven't really had hip problems before. I did have some issues when I first started training, but the pain went away after a month or so of serious hamstring and calf stretching, so I think it was more of a tightness/hip flexor issue.

I don't get any real grind, it just feels like my clothing is bunched up in my hip joint or something. Kind of like pressure in that area.

The weird thing is that it never really bothered me until I had this ab injury. It is getting better daily, so I'm hoping that it will go back into "dormancy" when I'm back at 100%

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 10:52 AM #910
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      When I was hunting for a gym I just called every place around, and asked how many racks they had, and if I could use chalk. The chalk was the way I weeded out the ****ty places. Only bummer was only one place said I could use it.

I don't know about your area, but check out Universities as well. I lift at my old college, and while the frat bros and groups of people can get annoying at times, it costs me less than 10$ a month, and is an all around awesome facility. Plus, the sorority chicks make for decent eye candy.
      Found this place which is pretty much in between work and home. It means probably driving to work (rather than taking the train) when I want to lift but it might be legit. I dig the college gym idea, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just assumed you have to be a student to use the facility.

Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast