Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 37 of 89 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

Vehicles
      2015 Outback
      05-23-2012 09:50 AM #901
      After spraining my ankle last month I was basically useless and couldn't do any lifts involving my legs. Tried squats and deads again this past week and no pain at all and not a noticeable decline in strength

I'm going to give it another week before I push my luck.
      -Matt

2. 05-23-2012 10:54 PM #902
      Quote Originally Posted by tweezy! View Post
      did bodyweight squats for the first time since february

also hit a 1RM of carrying a loaded laundry basket up the stairs without severe knee pain

boom bitches

are you injured?

Also my coach is insane, and had me doing hang power snatches with 85% of my full snatch max today. fml.
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

3. 05-24-2012 11:03 AM #903
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      are you injured?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patello..._pain_syndrome

i'm over 2 months into it and i'm finally regaining enough stability in my knee to do the basic **** like use stairs, walk without a limp, etc

lots of RICE'ing, basic quad strengthening movements, and ... uh ... sitting around waiting

4. 05-24-2012 10:30 PM #904
      that sounds ****ty brah. My knees hurt every day, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's from snatching, cleaning, jerking and squatting 6 days a week.
      The best forum on the web: www.WLForums.com

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-25-2012 07:02 AM #905
      Been getting very little sleep the last week or two. Had to stop at 315 just to pull a solid 3x5

The new place I'm at is not convenient to any good gyms. If I lift at work, my options are to rush and get in, showered and out in under an hour, or wait about an hour and a half for the next train. I'm still trying to figure out a good solution. I've figured out that lifting before work just isn't gonna happen. I can't get to sleep before 10.
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 09:03 AM #906
      Anyone have a recommendation for how best to find a gym that's local and not so cardio-centric or crossfit-esque? I just want to keep lifting, but I'm not really sure how to find a place that'll work for me.
      If you truly believe this, the terrorists did indeed already win. Freedom, 'murica, NFL, Wal-Mart and V8s.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      05-30-2012 09:54 AM #907
      When I was hunting for a gym I just called every place around, and asked how many racks they had, and if I could use chalk. The chalk was the way I weeded out the ****ty places. Only bummer was only one place said I could use it.

I don't know about your area, but check out Universities as well. I lift at my old college, and while the frat bros and groups of people can get annoying at times, it costs me less than 10$ a month, and is an all around awesome facility. Plus, the sorority chicks make for decent eye candy.

05-30-2012 10:38 AM #908
      Kryptonik--

Is he recommending surgery for ur FAI? Both hips? And can u squat lower than parrelel with a wide stance, pain free?(minus other things ur dealing with)
      I'm waiting for my new insurance next week to go get checked out. Mine grind with a really wide squat stance if I break parellel. I only box squat now to avoid it, with a box right at parrelel.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      05-30-2012 10:43 AM #909
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Kryptonik--

Is he recommending surgery for ur FAI? Both hips? And can u squat lower than parrelel with a wide stance, pain free?(minus other things ur dealing with)
      I'm waiting for my new insurance next week to go get checked out. Mine grind with a really wide squat stance if I break parellel. I only box squat now to avoid it, with a box right at parrelel.
      Not at the moment. I'm going back in a month for a check up. It's only me right hip. I've never really squatted very wide, so I'm not sure. I'd imagine it'd be okay, as I haven't really had hip problems before. I did have some issues when I first started training, but the pain went away after a month or so of serious hamstring and calf stretching, so I think it was more of a tightness/hip flexor issue.

I don't get any real grind, it just feels like my clothing is bunched up in my hip joint or something. Kind of like pressure in that area.

The weird thing is that it never really bothered me until I had this ab injury. It is getting better daily, so I'm hoping that it will go back into "dormancy" when I'm back at 100%

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 10:52 AM #910
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      When I was hunting for a gym I just called every place around, and asked how many racks they had, and if I could use chalk. The chalk was the way I weeded out the ****ty places. Only bummer was only one place said I could use it.

I don't know about your area, but check out Universities as well. I lift at my old college, and while the frat bros and groups of people can get annoying at times, it costs me less than 10$ a month, and is an all around awesome facility. Plus, the sorority chicks make for decent eye candy.
      Found this place which is pretty much in between work and home. It means probably driving to work (rather than taking the train) when I want to lift but it might be legit. I dig the college gym idea, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just assumed you have to be a student to use the facility.

05-30-2012 10:59 AM #911
      Ok.. Yeah I was never told I had it, only checking to see next week.
      But ur case, if you have an abdominal injury, it's obviously tight in ur whole Ab area I'm sure, which is directly connected to ur hip flexors obviously. Ur hip flexors if very tight, would pull your femoral head harder than normal back into your pelvic gurdle where the impingement would take place. I guess it would be tough to foam roll your Hip Flxrs and avoid stretching your abs tho.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      05-30-2012 11:19 AM #912
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Found this place which is pretty much in between work and home. It means probably driving to work (rather than taking the train) when I want to lift but it might be legit. I dig the college gym idea, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just assumed you have to be a student to use the facility.
      Your unis may differ, but most have a fee you can pay to use it. It wouldn't hurt to check out. And, at least pertaining to me, the gym is "run" by students, so they are pretty lax on their rules. Which for chalk use, etc. is pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      Ok.. Yeah I was never told I had it, only checking to see next week.
      But ur case, if you have an abdominal injury, it's obviously tight in ur whole Ab area I'm sure, which is directly connected to ur hip flexors obviously. Ur hip flexors if very tight, would pull your femoral head harder than normal back into your pelvic gurdle where the impingement would take place. I guess it would be tough to foam roll your Hip Flxrs and avoid stretching your abs tho.
      Yeah, I just started pulling/squatting recently. Not quite as heavy as I was, but, it's getting back there. I have to agree with the injury being responsible for the tightness. If I lift, the area feels better the next day. Sitting at work, makes it worse. It's a **** road to be on currently, but, I suppose it's part of the game.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      05-30-2012 12:16 PM #913
      I took 4 weeks off from dead lifting and just did some last night and I was exactly where I left off. Which is weird, cuz if I were to take 4 weeks off of my bench it would be like starting over from day one.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

14. 05-30-2012 02:15 PM #914
      more "progress"

today i carried 550 pounds of plates up my stairs and out into the garage... a month ago i couldnt carry a laundry basket up the stairs so this is a massive improvement. unfortunately my knee already feels a little sore but whatever, i ****ing made it -- without a brace this time.

going to start back on the exercise bike tomorrow and hopefully i can be doing bodyweight squats within a couple weeks.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 02:44 PM #915
      more "progress"

today i carried 550 pounds of plates up my stairs and out into the garage...
      Holy **** dude...what?!? Not sure if typo...

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      05-30-2012 02:47 PM #916
      Holy **** dude...what?!? Not sure if typo...
      I don't think he meant all at once

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-30-2012 02:50 PM #917
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      I don't think he meant all at once

Hahaha even still, what the christ is he eating off that much plate?!

Vehicles
      05-30-2012 03:52 PM #918
      Hahaha even still, what the christ is he eating off that much plate?!
      Maybe he runs a catering company from His house how the f*** should I know haha

19. 05-31-2012 02:48 AM #919
      what the **** is going on in here?

Vehicles
      05-31-2012 10:28 AM #920
      what the **** is going on in here?
      You tell us

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-31-2012 10:37 AM #921
      Weight plates...

#notsureiftrolling
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      06-01-2012 11:58 AM #922
      Trying tonight for a 2x body weight dead lift!

I'm 5'4" and ~128 lbs right now so that would be a 260 lb lift. I'm excited!

Last week I weighed in at 126 lbs and pulled 205x5 so fingers crossed!

EDIT: Failed. Stuck at 225 lbs.
      Last edited by scandalous_cynce; 06-02-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      06-01-2012 12:04 PM #923
      Quote Originally Posted by scandalous_cynce View Post
      Trying tonight for a 2x body weight dead lift!

I'm 5'4" and ~128 lbs right now so that would be a 260 lb lift. I'm excited!

Last week I weighed in at 126 lbs and pulled 205x5 so fingers crossed!
      Good god! I think a 2x BW pull is a long way off for me

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      06-01-2012 08:37 PM #924
      Good god! I think a 2x BW pull is a long way off for me
      I did manage to 3x3 365 today. Even got one extra on the last set it felt very clean. It's amazing what proper sleep and mental focus will do for your lifts.

Vehicles
      06-02-2012 12:15 AM #925
      My dl has been stuck at 315 forever.

Page 37 of 89 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast