Thread: The Progress Thread 2012

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-19-2012 07:32 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Weight: 205
      Bench: 1 set of 5 @ 180
      Squat: 1 set of 5 @ 230
      I haven't dead lifted before today, so I kept it light to try to get the feel for it. I like the idea of this thread, hopefully it stays on topic. I'm trying to find out what this body is capable of doing and I'm really motivated. Not much of a resolutioner, as I've been in the gym for a few months steady now, working it into a habit. Just started reading in here and getting really interested in real lifts.

(all units in pounds unless otherwise noted)
      The mistake I made when I started deadlifts was going too heavy, too fast. You mentioned going light, and that is a great idea in order to get the proper flat back, and form, etc. I would load up 315 or more and bang as many out as I could, and eventually, my back would start to roll and I would just keep going like a dummy.

Result?

One fine morning I woke up and it felt like I got kicked by a horse in the spine. I didn't feel it in the gym, but I apparently popped something because I was being stupid. That cost me 3 months of deadlifts, and now I am back to square one on them strength wise, but I have learned my lesson.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      01-19-2012 08:09 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      You mentioned going light, and that is a great idea in order to get the proper flat back, and form, etc.
      I think I was at 135? I figured a single plate each end will get me to the right starting height for the bar. I've heard some conflicting deadlift etiquette though. At the lowest point in the lift, the back-to-thigh angle is 90*?

I'm just excited to see how far I can go and I've already learned a ton in this forum. Thanks to the regulars who post useful information.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

3. 01-19-2012 08:38 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
      Ouch... I've been pretty fortunate that the guys I've met are all really pleasant in person, including the sport's "elite". One guy even put me up in his house when I came down for a meet - kicked his daughter out of her room to give me a place to sleep. But then the same guy later blew up on me online for absolutely no reason, calling me names like I just knocked up said daughter. Testosterone, meat-headedness and anonymity don't add up to love and peace.
      How did your road to 700 bench go?

4. 01-19-2012 08:40 PM #104
      Had a pretty good workout.

ended up getting 240lbs on incline DB x 8

and ended my workout with wide grip barbell bench 225x3x8

Vehicles
      Audi TTQ, Touraeg, Passat
      01-19-2012 08:47 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      Deadlift 385x3

Don't fall behind chaugner
      lolz ... 285 x 9 on my last set. Still on sets of 10 until I feel a bit more confident with my back being better. I think its time, next week going for 5x5 again and hoping to be back above 315. Trying to catch up ... vroom vroom

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST
      01-19-2012 09:31 PM #106
      Dead PR
      315x5 up from 305x3

I felt like I had a bunch in the tank as well. Next time.

7. 01-19-2012 09:40 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Step-ups and lunges were also going to be my suggestions

I would also suggest pistols, though you'd probably have to do them on a box to start.
      Here's a tip, don't do high step ups after a bunch of heavy squats. Broke my ankle and tore my shoulder up bad 3 weeks ago doing that.
      ok heres the ting take a corner at 35 or 45racing a ***** had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can but anywho now I have a load cam knock it sounds like but I'm not sure my oil pan may have got pushed back alittle so I dont know if my oil pump got damgaed and itsn't get oil to the top of the cams does anyone have any ideas what else it could be and yea I spanked the little rice hatch back

8. 01-19-2012 09:44 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      Had a pretty good workout.

ended up getting 240lbs on incline DB x 8

and ended my workout with wide grip barbell bench 225x3x8
      You pressed 240lb db's for 8?
      ok heres the ting take a corner at 35 or 45racing a ***** had a blow out sled into the crub hit 2 fents 2 burshes 4 brick and a trash can but anywho now I have a load cam knock it sounds like but I'm not sure my oil pan may have got pushed back alittle so I dont know if my oil pump got damgaed and itsn't get oil to the top of the cams does anyone have any ideas what else it could be and yea I spanked the little rice hatch back

9. 01-19-2012 09:48 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by autodubbin98 View Post
      How did your road to 700 bench go?
      Haven't put gear back on yet, still trying to do something special raw. I hit 476 last year, hoping to be well into the 500s this year. At that point I may chill... yeah right.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST
      01-19-2012 10:00 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir Biggz View Post
      120 each...

11. 01-19-2012 10:23 PM #111
      Haven't put gear back on yet, still trying to do something special raw. I hit 476 last year, hoping to be well into the 500s this year. At that point I may chill... yeah right.
      Multi-ply? I'm trying to get over the 400 barrier raw. I'd like to do it in a meet, although I hate raw competitions.

12. 01-19-2012 11:02 PM #112
      Multi-ply? I'm trying to get over the 400 barrier raw. I'd like to do it in a meet, although I hate raw competitions.
      When I go back to gear then yeah I see no nobility in half assing it, will be WPC with whatever the hottest shirt is at the time, so maybe even aim for 8. That's who I actually lift raw with too, same awesome people. But yeah avoid the vegan raw zealots (the drug free, lift in your underwear, my 100lb squat is superior out of principle types)

13. 01-20-2012 01:35 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir Biggz View Post
      wow

14. 01-20-2012 11:35 AM #114
      When I go back to gear then yeah I see no nobility in half assing it, will be WPC with whatever the hottest shirt is at the time, so maybe even aim for 8. That's who I actually lift raw with too, same awesome people. But yeah avoid the vegan raw zealots (the drug free, lift in your underwear, my 100lb squat is superior out of principle types)
      Yeah, I lift in the usapl now for collegiates. I don't like raw lifting at all. It's too boring. I'm hoping to be into the 5's with my super katana. Its a bitch that I can't pick up my head to touch.

15. 01-20-2012 12:46 PM #115
      Yeah, I lift in the usapl now for collegiates. I don't like raw lifting at all. It's too boring. I'm hoping to be into the 5's with my super katana. Its a bitch that I can't pick up my head to touch.
      Raw is fun if you're good at it. But yeah the main reason I'd want to get into gear again other than the milestone is that that's where the real competition is. There are some strong raw dudes and in the WPC, it's as fun a meet as any but the really strong guys are in gear, even the ones I personally know are strong enough to win the raw meets.

Is there no WPC meet within driving distance?

16. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-20-2012 01:36 PM #116
      racked pulled 495 for 5. ripped 2 of my callousus. first time ive done them in a couple years. might stick with it for a few weeks. ive had no problem popping the weight up deadlifting but pulling though seems to be holding me up. that and i need to keep in interesting
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

17. 01-20-2012 01:54 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      racked pulled 495 for 5. ripped 2 of my callousus. first time ive done them in a couple years. might stick with it for a few weeks. ive had no problem popping the weight up deadlifting but pulling though seems to be holding me up. that and i need to keep in interesting
      I wouldn't bother with rack pulls for that problem. It's almost impossible to do them properly, you just end up putting yourself in a leverage you'd never find yourself in had you started off the floor, which is a natural thing to do.

If you're having trouble pulling through, do Romanian deadlifts. Start with something like 315, I like to hang it off a hook so I don't need to waste energy picking it up off the floor. Then keeping your knees locked, lower the bar until it's at about your kneecap or a bit below (basically, keep your back straight and look forward, and at the point where you can no longer look forward, come up), letting the bar hang over your foot, not touching the legs, then what follows next should mentally be you trying to stick your dick into [insert the hottest girl you can think of] bending over in front of you. Never think of pulling the bar up, only getting your hips forward. I bet this will fix you nicely.

18. 01-20-2012 03:14 PM #118
      I wouldn't bother with rack pulls for that problem. It's almost impossible to do them properly, you just end up putting yourself in a leverage you'd never find yourself in had you started off the floor, which is a natural thing to do.

If you're having trouble pulling through, do Romanian deadlifts. Start with something like 315, I like to hang it off a hook so I don't need to waste energy picking it up off the floor. Then keeping your knees locked, lower the bar until it's at about your kneecap or a bit below (basically, keep your back straight and look forward, and at the point where you can no longer look forward, come up), letting the bar hang over your foot, not touching the legs, then what follows next should mentally be you trying to stick your dick into [insert the hottest girl you can think of] bending over in front of you. Never think of pulling the bar up, only getting your hips forward. I bet this will fix you nicely.
      Along those lines, you can also do "paused" deadlifts where you deadlift from the floor and pause below the knee for a full second. Then drive up and finish it. Doing this for reps (5) with heavy weight will kill your hips and glutes for lockout.

And although it's contrary to popular relief, deficits have helped my lock out issues. They put the bar in a hellish position by the time it gets to normal lockout range and really forces your glutes through at the top.

Raw is fun if you're good at it. But yeah the main reason I'd want to get into gear again other than the milestone is that that's where the real competition is. There are some strong raw dudes and in the WPC, it's as fun a meet as any but the really strong guys are in gear, even the ones I personally know are strong enough to win the raw meets.

Is there no WPC meet within driving distance?
      Yeah we have some strong kids on the team, but gear is where the competition is at. Because I can pass any drug test, I'll probably go to the WNPF after this. I like monolifts and I can do single or multi-ply. If I go multi-ply and take it seriously I'll probably go to the IPA. I've never heard of a WPO meet near me. I also have the new RPS fed near me.

Oh and I hear overkill is the **** to have for multi and single ply shirts.

19. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-20-2012 03:18 PM #119

thanks a bunch dude, glad to have you back
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

20. 01-20-2012 03:46 PM #120
      Along those lines, you can also do "paused" deadlifts where you deadlift from the floor and pause below the knee for a full second. Then drive up and finish it. Doing this for reps (5) with heavy weight will kill your hips and glutes for lockout.

And although it's contrary to popular relief, deficits have helped my lock out issues. They put the bar in a hellish position by the time it gets to normal lockout range and really forces your glutes through at the top.
      I can see that, starting so low probably ends up turning the pull into a stiff leg deadlift at some point and it's all hips after that. The reason I really like Romanian deads with the hip thrust emphasized is that it completely takes the quads out of the equation and really emphasizes the hip extension (especially if you let the bar come forward).

Yeah we have some strong kids on the team, but gear is where the competition is at. Because I can pass any drug test, I'll probably go to the WNPF after this. I like monolifts and I can do single or multi-ply. If I go multi-ply and take it seriously I'll probably go to the IPA. I've never heard of a WPO meet near me. I also have the new RPS fed near me.

Oh and I hear overkill is the **** to have for multi and single ply shirts.
      The way I see it, assistance is assistance. So I'll never buy any claims of legitimacy of single ply guys over multi. Hell, when I started, I used the EHPHD in the IPF, which was basically tight spandex. I was told the most I could hope to get out of it is maybe 50 lbs, one football player I knew actually lifted less in the shirt. But I was good at figuring out shirts, I had the sleeve torque figured out before it was well known, and I hit 500 in it when I couldn't do 405 raw. So in my mind, gear is gear, so just find the place you like lifting most and the competition is stiffest (if that happens to be single gear in your neck of the woods, then **** me, go for it). Just don't do those meets where there are more categories/1st place trophies/records than there are lifters. In my opinion, with powerlifting being as diluted as it is, the only placings that matter are in: APF Senior Nationals, WPC Worlds (although the Arnold's is now Lexen I think), IPF Worlds.

I would also not worry too much about drug vs non-drug. So many douchebags out there who either don't want to drive further for non-tested meets, or they're off-cycle and decide it's then OK for them to lift drug-free. I've been at this long enough to say to an absolute certainty that you're never the same having crossed into the dark side. So don't be surprised to be lifting against druggies hoping not to get tested, or off cycle guys. Just lift for your own best. I train with a monster who owns the biggest bench in Canada (380kg), yet he's drug free (this isn't a guess). He could pass the tests but he lifts in the non-tested division cause that's where the big records are.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      thanks a bunch dude, glad to have you back
      Anytime dude!

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      01-20-2012 07:47 PM #121
      Snatched 101. So a 1 kg PR. But it was after squatting, so I'll call that a win.

01-20-2012 09:11 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Step-ups and lunges were also going to be my suggestions

[video=youtube;SPFxUsCy7So]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFxUsCy7So[/video

I would also suggest pistols, though you'd probably have to do them on a box to start.
      Now is there a big difference between the step ups and lunges ?
      Isnt it basicly the same thing ?

-only reason other reason for doing the leg extensions was to let my back rest alitttle after doing DL .

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Fiesta ST
      01-20-2012 11:43 PM #123
      Pulling the bar off of the ground has always been 10x harder than the second half of a dl. I mean I'm not that strong yet so maybe I'm just pretty unbalanced in my development..

Vehicles
      01-21-2012 08:02 AM #124
      Progress for January:

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      01-21-2012 09:29 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by kimlin85 View Post
      Progress for January:

Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Page 5 of 89 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast