Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rabbit training ,

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      01-01-2012 02:03 PM #1

Finally got my own pet, im just trying to figure out how to cage train her so she can come in and out of the cage as she wants, Shes 12 weeks old, A Red Mini Rex , still havnt named her but ive had her for 4 days now but those of you with rabbits whats the things to do and things not to do since shes a house rabbit im trying to keep smell down i have a nice cage for her easy remove bottom with a wire floor so isnt hard to clean up but what bedding to use and stuff like that,

01-10-2012 10:00 PM #2
      I just rescued a mini Lop.

At 5 years old I'm assuming we are past training. Regardless I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere as easy as it was w/ the puppy.

My plan is to build her some space in the living room that she can, well, ruin at will.
      I figure once I get used to her schedule, and she becomes less nervous, her activity will be easier to predict.

Gorgeous Rex by the way
      x

Vehicles
      MTA
      01-12-2012 10:41 PM #3
      Nice rabbit!

From what I've seen with my girlfriend's Mini Lop:

Watch out for electric cords. Hers has chewed through several and is, somehow, still alive.

Try to let them out and play as much as possible. Her rabbit will get moody and pout if she isn't taken out and played with-- at one point I even took her to the vet because I thought she was sick.

Have fun! They're nice pets.

EDIT:

Only use that stuff for bedding... other stuff is supposed to be harmful.

We give her rabbit lots of timothy hay and rabbit pellets that we buy in bulk from Pet Supplies Plus. Also, they like to play with toys and throw things around.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      02-03-2012 09:34 AM #4
      thanks guys shes a blast got her cage trained with in the first week and shes gotten commfy just runing around my room

Vehicles
      12 TR .:R / 03 BMP 20th AE / 12 CW .:R
      02-24-2012 02:21 PM #5
      I also have a "few" rex bunnies!

Yes! Definitely keep all cords away from bunnies; they love to chew on things.

I keep a small piece of wood in the cage for them to chew on. I have a litter box; they can be potty trained.

The hay and pellets are good; don't overfeed them. I feed them twice a day. They will eat all day if you let them. Always have water available; I have a water bottle attached to the cage.

This is Jr (after Fast Jr. ) and Jetta. Jetta had 4 babies and just recently had another 6!

The babies will all be going to good homes.
      Female Driven

Girls with Golf R's

02-24-2012 05:10 PM #6
      @RedLineNikiR

I am jealous! I'm hoping my next home will accommodate a rabbit farm.

So, question for the group....

My 5 yr. old Mini Lop that we just rescued hates being picked up. She doesn't mind being petted at all, it seems more or less to be the height, or exposing her underside.

How do y'all bunnies like being handled?
      x

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      02-26-2012 11:28 PM #7
      those babies are so damn cute, wish mine was that little =] i was thinking of getting a piece of wood for her to chow on and throw around

Vehicles
      12 TR .:R / 03 BMP 20th AE / 12 CW .:R
      02-27-2012 10:50 AM #8
      I wish I had a big enough place to keep them all! Some day....

As far as handling....

Jetta doesn't really like to be picked up; I definitely think it has to do with heights. If you ever noticed, when going to put rabbits down (from holding them) they start to freak out, kicking their legs. The best way to stop that from happening, is to kinda lean them back, so that they don't see the ground as your putting them down, then just place them feet first.

When holding them, believe it or not, they like to be held like a baby. If you cradle them, like a baby, on their back, they will actually fall asleep.
      Female Driven

Girls with Golf R's

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      02-27-2012 07:14 PM #9
      hmmmm good info to know

Vehicles
      1990 20v Corrado(soon), 2001 Outback 250k strong!
      02-29-2012 09:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by RedLineNikiR View Post
      I wish I had a big enough place to keep them all! Some day....

As far as handling....

Jetta doesn't really like to be picked up; I definitely think it has to do with heights. If you ever noticed, when going to put rabbits down (from holding them) they start to freak out, kicking their legs. The best way to stop that from happening, is to kinda lean them back, so that they don't see the ground as your putting them down, then just place them feet first.

When holding them, believe it or not, they like to be held like a baby. If you cradle them, like a baby, on their back, they will actually fall asleep.
      Putting them on their backs works great. We have a lion head rabbit. He is kind of a lazy rabbit. He will not clean himself so we have to bathe him.
      Women are gentle and soft, but they hit things...

20v AEB Corrado Build thread.
      Parting a B4 ABA Passat?

11. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      03-02-2012 09:38 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by RedLineNikiR View Post
      I was rabbit sitting for a friend of mine a few months ago, and he convinced me that you couldn't hold them since they freak out. Yup, there sure do, till you cradle them like a baby and hold them semi tight to your chest. Then they just calm down.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time. l My 2800CS
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      03-05-2012 07:46 PM #12
      what toys do you all use ? i got mine a small dog toy took the rubber of it so its just knotted string dosnt play with it much

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Rabbit
      04-05-2012 01:52 AM #13
      so question , my rex is only a few months old on her back theres a "bold" spot theres fur there but its not as long / fluffy as the rest its more of just growing fur any ideas? she just losing her baby fur