Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am Getting out the ARMY.

Vehicles
      2001 325 cic e46 MT, and 2008 passat wagon B6 MT6, on air and rotis
      01-15-2012 08:13 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by DUB_MANGv2 View Post
      im telling you guy, sign up for unemployment asap. in fact i remember acap was pushing on that as well. its money you've already put into and it doesnt make you look bad especially coming off active. as for the 9/11 bill basically you need to have in class courses for at least 75% of your schedule in order to get the benefits (e5 pay + bah rates) im still on the original Montgomery bill, after i exhaust that THEN ill switch to the 9/11 bill for a year. (great perk for us older folks). so ill say it again. take up unemployment asap (u can cancel it once you get a job) and go to a community college because its cheaper for the same education, at least up until you work towards a BS/BA
      WWTD
      Just think, What Would T Do?
      Who is T? ME .
      PM me if want to know wwTd.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      02-02-2012 01:25 PM #27
      If you have Post 9/11 skip community college if you are up to speed in math, reading, writing... Community College is a huge waste of time, and some classes will likely be turned down by the University that you are applying to. Not to mention Universities have so so so many more resources. I go to the U of MN with 50k ish students, there is a club for nearly any interest under the sun, and that means you can easily network with others build some friendships in a common interest. Then of course those friends can likely help with landing your first job after school.

There are also many more classes that you would never be able to take at a community college. Plus, who cares how much school costs if you qualify for Chapt 33 Post 9/11 at 100% rate. They will cover the bill... You can also apply for grants, in those cases the value of the grant will be refunded to your checking account since the Gi Bill still pays whatever your full tuition bill is before the grants. You earned the Gi Bill, and grants are there to help you if you were a normal student, so it isn't really double dipping...

Finally, Unemployment... Just don't be a douchebag using it while you have no intention of finding a job and just milking it because you can... By all means use it to help hold you over until you start school, but terminate it thereafter.

Another perk of Univ vs CC is that you can EASILY coordinate study groups for your tests. CC is filled with a bunch of people doing their own thing and many work FT hours so it is pretty difficult to get anything going. Student groups are also pretty non-existant. I went to the largest CC in the State and they had a handful of generic clubs.

Spark Note: Just choose University, if you go to a good school your grades will be slightly inflated since you are "the best and the brightest".... Also, A million more resources for everything... However, if you go to a state school that isn't selective you might want to go to a CC, get your GPA up, then apply to a more selective school.

Vehicles
      02-06-2012 09:18 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Steveo989 View Post
      If you have Post 9/11 skip community college if you are up to speed in math, reading, writing... Community College is a huge waste of time, and some classes will likely be turned down by the University that you are applying to. Not to mention Universities have so so so many more resources. I go to the U of MN with 50k ish students, there is a club for nearly any interest under the sun, and that means you can easily network with others build some friendships in a common interest. Then of course those friends can likely help with landing your first job after school.

There are also many more classes that you would never be able to take at a community college. Plus, who cares how much school costs if you qualify for Chapt 33 Post 9/11 at 100% rate. They will cover the bill... You can also apply for grants, in those cases the value of the grant will be refunded to your checking account since the Gi Bill still pays whatever your full tuition bill is before the grants. You earned the Gi Bill, and grants are there to help you if you were a normal student, so it isn't really double dipping...

Finally, Unemployment... Just don't be a douchebag using it while you have no intention of finding a job and just milking it because you can... By all means use it to help hold you over until you start school, but terminate it thereafter.

Another perk of Univ vs CC is that you can EASILY coordinate study groups for your tests. CC is filled with a bunch of people doing their own thing and many work FT hours so it is pretty difficult to get anything going. Student groups are also pretty non-existant. I went to the largest CC in the State and they had a handful of generic clubs.

Spark Note: Just choose University, if you go to a good school your grades will be slightly inflated since you are "the best and the brightest".... Also, A million more resources for everything... However, if you go to a state school that isn't selective you might want to go to a CC, get your GPA up, then apply to a more selective school.
      WWTD
      Who is T? ME .

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 06:47 AM #29
      Thanks to all of you that gave me some advice. Just to keep you all in the loop of what is going on; I only have like 27 days left, I got accepted to Penn State University and I will be attending it for the fall semester. For the ecconomical part I will be collecting unemployment till I fine decent job or my wife does( she'll get her 4 year degree by the end of December). State college, PA, i'll see this fall.
      WWTD
      Who is T? ME .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12