Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Settlement over 9W2 Bluetooth Lack of Functionality

Vehicles
      '10 JSW, '01 Golf, '08 MCS, '12 Fusion
      01-02-2012 01:12 PM #1
      Received notification in the mail a couple days ago that VWGoA has agreed to a settlement in a lawsuit where it was alleged that VW misrepresented the capabilities of the Bluetooth system that came with 2010 Sportwagens (SE and TDI) as well as other 2010 Jetta and Golf models. Basically if you paid to upgrade to a 9W3 or 9W7 because you were unhappy with the 9W2, you qualify for reimbursement of all part, labor and shipping costs associated with the upgrade. If you still have the original 9W2 system in your car, and you agree with the statement "Prior to the purchase or lease of the vehicle described in this Claim Form, I saw Volkswagen advertising and/or product literature regarding the Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling system with voice control and that feature was one of the reasons for my purchase or lease of the vehicle," VW will pay to have a dealership install a "Bluetooth Upgrade Kit" into your car. No mention as to whether this upgrade kit is a 9W3, 9W7, or something else altogether.

You can read up on all the details and print out relevant claim forms here: https://christensensettlement.com/

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      01-02-2012 02:19 PM #2
      I have added this thread, and the MK6 forum counter-part to the JSW DIY/FAQ thread.

See here.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      01-02-2012 02:23 PM #3
      What about the Tiguan? It's basically an suv version of a GTI.

Vehicles
      '15 Jeep Cherokee, '10 JSW
      01-02-2012 02:40 PM #4
      I got mine too the only issue I've had is I can't stream music from my iPhone. I should have 9w2 but it doesn't want to work. Other than that no real issues. I can't honestly say I bought my car because of the voice control features on Bluetooth.

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 03:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post
      I have added this thread, and the MK6 forum counter-part to the JSW DIY/FAQ thread.

See here.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
      What about the Tiguan? It's basically an suv version of a GTI.
      I believe your car already came with the 9W3, and the GTI is excluded as well. It's just the JSW SE and TDI, Golf TDI and Jetta Limited, SE and Wolfsburg, as well as Jetta and JSW S and 2.5 models that originally came with optional Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by haunted reality View Post
      I got mine too the only issue I've had is I can't stream music from my iPhone. I should have 9w2 but it doesn't want to work. Other than that no real issues. I can't honestly say I bought my car because of the voice control features on Bluetooth.
      The 9W2 Bluetooth your car came with is supposed to be able to stream stereo music wireless through A2DP, however I have heard of others with iPhones having problems with this feature. I upgraded to 9W3 before 9W7 was released, and gave up A2DP in favor of voice command and phone book functionality. I would really like it if VW provided me with the 9W7 unit that has all the calling and streaming features, with the added ability of making those buttons by my pana-roof work again.

6. 01-02-2012 10:22 PM #6
      Yup got the same letter too bad I bought mine from another member.

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 11:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      Yup got the same letter too bad I bought mine from another member.
      That should be fine, if you can get the name, address and phone number of the other member, and have something from Paypal or Vortex that you can print out to submit.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      01-02-2012 11:59 PM #8
      This is the absolutely dumbest thing in the world to sue over. It's a convenience item... not a safety or reliability issue.

I got my letter on Saturday --- but I won't be part of this. Volkswagen has been so good to me over the years that jumping on this bandwagon just wouldn't be the right thing to do.

If I want the 9W7.... I'll find a deal on it and do the upgrade myself.

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 12:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TREGinginCO View Post
      This is the absolutely dumbest thing in the world to sue over. It's a convenience item... not a safety or reliability issue.

I got my letter on Saturday --- but I won't be part of this. Volkswagen has been so good to me over the years that jumping on this bandwagon just wouldn't be the right thing to do.

If I want the 9W7.... I'll find a deal on it and do the upgrade myself.
      This isn't a recall, it is an issue that arose as a result of VW not choosing the right descriptions for the included equipment. I can scan the original sales brochure that I picked up when I was shopping for the car in Spring of 2010 that points out that the car comes with Bluetooth with voice command, while the voice command was notably absent on my actual car.

I agree it doesn't carry the significance of a safety or reliability issue, but it irked me enough to go out and spend my money on something that the car should have come with in the first place. I work in pharmaceuticals and have contributed to marketing efforts, and I can tell you that with the amount of review and scrutiny that a piece like a sales brochure undergoes, it is a pretty glaring error on their part.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf S
      01-03-2012 11:53 AM #10
      I hope this comes to me. I am disappointed because my bluetooth doesn't even connect half the time, and it doesn't work as it should. I usually throw away these types of things when they come to me because like TREGinginCO said, I don't like to jump on the bandwagon. Especially since VW puts out an awesome product. But in this case, I am definitely disappointed in the quality of the bluetooth that was in the car. I was under the impression that I would have bluetooth that, well just worked. And I find myself using speakerphone more than 50% of the time because it doesn't. And not just problems connecting, quality problems as well.

I just want a bluetooth system that works as advertised and paid for.
      Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
      The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      01-03-2012 01:02 PM #11
      Please inform the Maryland State Police as well as the Metropolitan Police Department (DC). In MD using a cell phone is a secondary offense, in DC it is a primary offense.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      01-03-2012 01:45 PM #12
      The 9w2 still works for hands free talking. As for MD and DC... talk to your lawmakers.
      Last edited by TREGinginCO; 01-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      01-03-2012 02:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 4ceFed4 View Post
      I would really like it if VW provided me with the 9W7 unit that has all the calling and streaming features, with the added ability of making those buttons by my pana-roof work again.
      The 9w7 won't work with those roof buttons. Newer models have deleted them.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      01-03-2012 02:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by billy2.0 View Post
      I hope this comes to me. I am disappointed because my bluetooth doesn't even connect half the time, and it doesn't work as it should. I usually throw away these types of things when they come to me because like TREGinginCO said, I don't like to jump on the bandwagon. Especially since VW puts out an awesome product. But in this case, I am definitely disappointed in the quality of the bluetooth that was in the car. I was under the impression that I would have bluetooth that, well just worked. And I find myself using speakerphone more than 50% of the time because it doesn't. And not just problems connecting, quality problems as well.

I think you may need to enter your VIN to receive the form.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta LE
      01-03-2012 05:48 PM #15
      I know that when I bought my VW the marketing materials were misleading. I was disappointed to find that the only available trim line was the LE which did not include the hands-free calling = using steering wheel controls & voice commands to place a call. The LE was no where to be found on VW's web site - only S, SE, SEL & TDI.

I'm very happy to see that this is being resolved and will take advantage of the upgrade for safety & legal reasons.

Anyway... does anybody know how much work is involved in this "upgrade"? I have a 2010 Limited (LE), which does not have any displays (MFDU or Radio), nor steering wheel buttons / controls. I'm trying to figure out how this system would work given everything I have read about the 9w2, 9w3 & 9w7 systems. My only conclusion is that the steering wheel controls would need to be installed & possibly the MFDU.

Does anybody know any details??

Much thanks & Happy New Year!

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 05:52 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by sportwagen rick View Post
      I know, that's why I mentioned it as an added ability. I'm still unsure what solution VW is planning on installing for people that follow through with this claim.

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      01-03-2012 07:06 PM #17

One thing to note, I had a little cheap cell phone when I first got the car, it was a Boost Motorola brand that has Bluetooth. Never had any issue with the Bluetooth link with that particular phone. I think it was an issue getting them to unpair more then anything.
      Now Im on a Evo 4G a much better phone and the Bluetooth has to be forced to connect half the time, really annoying!! I think the phone has a lot to do with it, loved how the Motorola would connect all the way in the house even.
      2010 Sportwagen_ 92 Corrado G60

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW 2.5 S 5sp
      01-03-2012 07:28 PM #18
      The 9W2 module can stream audio. It won't in your car, however, as the 2010 base radio does not support it, and it is therefore turned off in the module. One of my first mods to my car was to upgrade the radio and then enable streaming using VCDS.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW 2.5 S 5sp
      01-03-2012 07:32 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by sportwagen rick View Post
      The roof buttons work with my 9W7 (originally equipped with a 9W2). However, the LED indicator does not function. I think the newer models don't have the roof buttons because they now come with steering wheel buttons.

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      01-03-2012 07:36 PM #20
      The 9w2 still works for hands free talking. As for MD and DC... talk to your lawmakers.
      Why? Most of us are for these laws, also it includes fumbling around with your phone as a cop could easily see that as texting/distraction. Maybe some would like to go on a worthless legal battle to prove it was not, but Id rather not. Hence the reason for voice activation for so many.
      Not really a big deal, looks like those that purchased the upgrade for this reason (voice activated commands and other convenience features) will get upgraded to what they thought they were going to receive when they made the upgrade in the first place.
      2010 Sportwagen_ 92 Corrado G60

21. 01-03-2012 10:59 PM #21
      According to the full settlement PDF document, the upgrade is a:

Volkswagen Mobile Telephone Integration Plus upgrade, Item Number 000-51-473-J

Unfortunately, if you Google this part number, the only place it is mentioned is the settlement document itself. Since the part number for the 9W7 is 7P6-035-730-C (or -B or -D), it doesn't seem like they're giving you a 9W7. Similarly, a 9W3 has part number 1Z0-035-729-D, so that doesn't seem to be it either.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 SportWagen TDI
      01-03-2012 11:31 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
      The roof buttons work with my 9W7 (originally equipped with a 9W2). However, the LED indicator does not function. I think the newer models don't have the roof buttons because they now come with steering wheel buttons.
      You're right! I never use those buttons, so I forgot that they even work, lol.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      01-04-2012 01:15 AM #23
      2011s come with the 9W7 and have the roof buttons.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW 2.5 S 5sp
      01-04-2012 01:21 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Maristic View Post
      According to the full settlement PDF document, the upgrade is a:

Volkswagen Mobile Telephone Integration Plus upgrade, Item Number 000-51-473-J

Unfortunately, if you Google this part number, the only place it is mentioned is the settlement document itself. Since the part number for the 9W7 is 7P6-035-730-C (or -B or -D), it doesn't seem like they're giving you a 9W7. Similarly, a 9W3 has part number 1Z0-035-729-D, so that doesn't seem to be it either.
      The part number is a misprint. It should be 000-051-473-J.

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 10:09 AM #25
      The part number is a misprint. It should be 000-051-473-J.
      According to one thread here that is the part number for a "9W7 Upgrade Kit" that converts a factory installed 9W2 or 9W3 to 9W7 specifications, that would be cool.

If you google the part number, a VW page comes up as saying the part number belongs to an extenal bluetooth device with a 2.8" TFT

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 04:22 PM #26
      The 9W2 module can stream audio. It won't in your car, however, as the 2010 base radio does not support it, and it is therefore turned off in the module. One of my first mods to my car was to upgrade the radio and then enable streaming using VCDS.
      Ah-ha, the advice I've been looking for. I upgraded from the 2010 base to the RCD310 and turned it on the radio. That makes sense though that I need to get someone with a Vag-Com to turn it on.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf S
      01-04-2012 04:58 PM #27
      Ah-ha, the advice I've been looking for. I upgraded from the 2010 base to the RCD310 and turned it on the radio. That makes sense though that I need to get someone with a Vag-Com to turn it on.
      Will the streaming audio work in the Premium 7 headunit (silver buttons) out of a 2009?
      The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 05:24 PM #28
      Will the streaming audio work in the Premium 7 headunit (silver buttons) out of a 2009?
      I doubt it, but not sure, maybe someone else knows.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf S
      01-05-2012 04:46 PM #29
      Just got my paperwork! Filled it out and will send it in. Too bad there wasn't a pre-addressed envelope. Will have to wait til I get home to fill one out and grab a stamp.

I have my fingers crossed that this goes through. I've already complained about this in the past to my dealership and they just tell me it operates as it should.

30. 01-05-2012 09:56 PM #30
      Seems we have until Jan 12 to decide to acquire a 9w7 or wait for the VW solution= a "mobile telephone integration plus upgrade" - part number 000-051-473-J. I can't find any info on what this "upgrade" actually is (does it have features as good as 9w7?). I've seen some similar part numbers (with different letters at the end) point to a ghastly add-on pod which doesn't seem to integrate with MFDs or the 510 nav. Wouldn't want that! Anyone know what this part ("J") actually is?

Of course, my local VW service is clueless about the whole thing. They don't even know what a 9w7 is, but it's apparently out of stock, and they wouldn't want to install one in a car where "it doesn't belong."

Any suggestions are appreciated - limited time to act. Also unsure where to get a 9w7 these days.

Vehicles
      01-05-2012 11:20 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by bobutler View Post
      Seems we have until Jan 12 to decide to acquire a 9w7 or wait for the VW solution= a "mobile telephone integration plus upgrade" - part number 000-051-473-J. I can't find any info on what this "upgrade" actually is (does it have features as good as 9w7?). I've seen some similar part numbers (with different letters at the end) point to a ghastly add-on pod which doesn't seem to integrate with MFDs or the 510 nav. Wouldn't want that! Anyone know what this part ("J") actually is?

Of course, my local VW service is clueless about the whole thing. They don't even know what a 9w7 is, but it's apparently out of stock, and they wouldn't want to install one in a car where "it doesn't belong."

Any suggestions are appreciated - limited time to act. Also unsure where to get a 9w7 these days.
      I posted a link to info a few responses ago, here it is again: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/74...th-module.html

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI Highline
      02-18-2012 11:03 AM #32
      Would this also apply to canadian Golf Wagon TDI? I think the 9W2 stinks (not worth what i paid for it imo), and would love to upgrade to 9W7 to little or no cost.

Vehicles
      02-18-2012 11:15 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by dsldub View Post
      Would this also apply to canadian Golf Wagon TDI? I think the 9W2 stinks (not worth what i paid for it imo), and would love to upgrade to 9W7 to little or no cost.
      This settlement only pertains to the US and Puerto Rico. It came about because of the way that VWGoA advertised the features of the car, not because of a lack of functionality of the 9W2 unit itself.

34. 04-02-2012 10:09 AM #34
      Hi All,

Here's a short update: Nothing yet!

I sent in my documents/settlement application early last month, and have yet to hear back. Has anyone received a response from the settlement folk?

It would be great to have a 9w7.

Vehicles
      things broken
      04-02-2012 12:38 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by NY TDI View Post
      Hi All,

Here's a short update: Nothing yet!

I sent in my documents/settlement application early last month, and have yet to hear back. Has anyone received a response from the settlement folk?

It would be great to have a 9w7.
      Nothing here, either. Paperwork sent in, no response yet.
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast