Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY on converting from b6 key fob to b7 key fob

Vehicles
      (OBD2)1995 GTi VR6, 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T_Q
      01-02-2012 06:27 PM #1
      Below is a link to the DIY in audizine. The DIY is great from what I have seen.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Fob-for-B6-DIY
      Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
      it's a modification... good luck all, common sense shall save you.
      Quote Originally Posted by IY#504 View Post
      Show car scene = Spend money you don't have, on parts you don't need, to impress people you don't know.

2. Junior Member wreckedcorrado's Avatar
      Vehicles
      VW Passat
      01-03-2012 03:19 AM #2
      I think I will just giveup and buy a complete key fob with uncut key off ebay, and start there. Should have done that the first time

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 09:30 AM #3
      Lol!!! I see we are both feeling the same pain here. Although I will still attempt this DIY on my spare key. Only other issue is if we with the '02 a4 need to swap our ccm with the '03 and newer ones. As far as using same immobilizer from b7 I don't think its possible but I can be wrong. I have seen and read many threads attempting this sampling but great mod and all have said that it would need to be swapped for the b6 immo or a new one that would need to be programmed by ur local stealership.
      Show car scene = Spend money you don't have, on parts you don't need, to impress people you don't know.

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 02:10 PM #4
      Here is the link to a site that sells blank key blades. They say they have b7 blanks. The key blade in this link the say is a B7 blank.

http://advanced-keys.co.uk/advanced_...&Submit=%C2%A0
      Last edited by VRNY1; 01-04-2012 at 12:21 PM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-03-2012 02:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by wreckedcorrado View Post

I don't think you have to swap your immobilizer chip. You can re-program the B7 immobilizer using VAG (VCDS) (not sure, can't test yet), then both B6 key and B7 key should work.
      incorrect - the immobilizer RFID chips can only be paired once. You need to either move your B6 chip over, or buy a blank/unprogrammed chip and use VCDS to pair it

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 03:53 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by denimA4turbo View Post
      incorrect - the immobilizer RFID chips can only be paired once. You need to either move your B6 chip over, or buy a blank/unprogrammed chip and use VCDS to pair it
      Thanks for clearing that up. Any chance you found a color dis 2002 cluster? Lol.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-03-2012 04:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VRNY1 View Post
      Thanks for clearing that up. Any chance you found a color dis 2002 cluster? Lol.
      I bought mine "virginized" from a guy on the Audizine forums

Vehicles
      01-03-2012 05:43 PM #8
      I bought mine "virginized" from a guy on the Audizine forums
      Yup I remember. His name is Tom if my memory isn't too bad. I spoke with him but he said its tough to come across them. The price wasn't bad either. He said he would contact me when he found one. This was summer of '11. Hope soon I can find one.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      04 A4
      01-04-2012 12:49 AM #9
      I did this, and I had a virgin uncut ebay key. Some things I learned,

1. You need to get a new "megamos48" (what the b6 fob uses) rfid chip for any b7 key fob, the b7 uses a different rfid chip, I ordered 3 from China for something like 20$. Rfid chips can only be programed once. Remote portion can be paired/programmed a million times. Any used key will need blade and new rfid chip, not worth it.

2. You can not use VCSD/ross tech for program the immobilizer, unless u have the key code. Even then theres a lot that can go wrong. vw/audi will not/can not give it out any more.

3. In my area there was only one guy who could cut sidewinder keys, make some calls first.

Hope that helps.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-04-2012 03:21 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan5316 View Post
      I did this, and I had a virgin uncut ebay key. Some things I learned,

1. You need to get a new "megamos48" (what the b6 fob uses) rfid chip for any b7 key fob, the b7 uses a different rfid chip, I ordered 3 from China for something like 20$. Rfid chips can only be programed once. Remote portion can be paired/programmed a million times. Any used key will need blade and new rfid chip, not worth it.

2. You can not use VCSD/ross tech for program the immobilizer, unless u have the key code. Even then theres a lot that can go wrong. vw/audi will not/can not give it out any more.

3. In my area there was only one guy who could cut sidewinder keys, make some calls first.

Hope that helps.
      1) you can reuse a B6 RFID chip, I've done it several times for others. Otherwise yes, get a new ID48 chip from the keymam link above

2) you need the 4-digit pin (aka SKC), which is the same for the ECU and cluster if they are the originals to the car, and the ECU's pin is easy to extract with any generic OBD-II USB cable and the right software.

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 01:15 PM #12
      1) you can reuse a B6 RFID chip, I've done it several times for others. Otherwise yes, get a new ID48 chip from the keymam link above

2) you need the 4-digit pin (aka SKC), which is the same for the ECU and cluster if they are the originals to the car, and the ECU's pin is easy to extract with any generic OBD-II USB cable and the right software.
      Would yo uhappen to know if this would work with the C5 A6?

Vehicles
      01-04-2012 01:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by wreckedcorrado View Post
      Looks like I should have started my research before buying parts, got too excited for this mod.

It's pretty simple, BUT BUT BUT, my car is a 2002 A4, the only year B6 which has a CCM that is not compatible with the B7 unlock/lock remote portion. So, I would lose button features.

I am not sure why this is. It appears the CCM and the B7 remote are both the same 315mhz.

Others have successfully swapped their 2002 CCM with 2003+, I may wait for a cheap one at a local sale, ebay is $125+
      Yes i am awaiting to do the same for my '02. On the key stand point Denim... gave us a link to fobs with uncut keys and i posted a site for just the uncut key blade @ £1.75 each.
      Also here is a link for info on the ccm mod.
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ng-for-the-02s
      Only draw back would be the loss of independent fog lights. Now i have to look in to that.
      Last edited by VRNY1; 01-04-2012 at 01:45 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-04-2012 05:14 PM #14
      Would yo uhappen to know if this would work with the C5 A6?
      yes, it should. I don't know about the compatibility with the newer fobs though

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      04 A4
      01-04-2012 09:43 PM #15

Thanks for the info on the rfid reprogramming, I'm aware that you can use Vag commander or other programs to get the SKC, but for the 99.9% of people on here looking to do this thats WAY above there head. I think this is a great little mod that can be done for less than the cost of a new key from the dealer. Just trying to help.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-05-2012 02:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan5316 View Post
      Thanks for the info on the rfid reprogramming, I'm aware that you can use Vag commander or other programs to get the SKC, but for the 99.9% of people on here looking to do this thats WAY above there head. I think this is a great little mod that can be done for less than the cost of a new key from the dealer. Just trying to help.
      right, but if you do get a new RFID chip (vs reusing existing one from B6 key), then you definitely need to either program it yourself (necessitating the SKC and VCDS) or pay the dealer etc

Vehicles
      01-13-2012 01:48 AM #17

Being as you have done this mod already, when you swapped out the ccm for the other guys did you notice if they lost the independent fog option? Was the Fogs on at all times when the switch was on city light position?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi A4 2.0TQM
      01-13-2012 12:53 PM #18
      Being as you have done this mod already, when you swapped out the ccm for the other guys did you notice if they lost the independent fog option? Was the Fogs on at all times when the switch was on city light position?
      I haven't done this on a 2002, so no need to swap the CCM. For my car, I just replaced my fobs with new ones from ebay rather than going through the hassle (and cost) of swapping the CCM

Vehicles
      01-15-2012 02:44 AM #19
      I see, so you still have the b6 fob just in new condition. Cool. I guess I'm going to have to do the same. I mean what's the worst that can happen if we ('02 A4's) swap to the b7 fob w-o the ccm, we can't use the keyless entry. Back in the day there wasn't any keyless entry. So what if you have to go all the way up to ur car door to unlock it. Lol then again that could just be me thinking crazy.

19. 03-23-2012 04:33 PM #20
      I just got a virgin B7 key fob off of ebay... blank key, new chip, never program, etc. So I will need to either swap the chip from an old remote over to this key, have it cut, and then program it to the car, or I will replace the chip with the one listed about, have the key cut, and program it to the car. Correct?

Anyone in San Diego who has a vag-com that would help me program a chip??

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 07:50 AM #21
      It depends on what year model you have. If its 03 and up just switch the immobilizer to the new fob and program it. That is if I'm not mistaken...