Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery drinks?

1. 03-31-2012 07:02 PM #36
      None of that research applies to participants of P90X, their bodies are too confused.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO
      04-01-2012 12:27 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
      None of that research applies to participants of P90X, their bodies are too confused.
      i lol'd

Vehicles
      bagged 6
      04-01-2012 09:52 AM #38
      You got it! Way too confused...

Despite my actual results from the program and their results and recovery formula...I guess my BODY is lying... sorry

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 010CarbonSteel; 04-01-2012 at 12:05 PM.
      BAGRIDERS / Premium Euros

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      04-01-2012 08:44 PM #39
      winnar!

5. 04-03-2012 02:12 PM #40
      Always started with a good greens + starch + fruit meal. After that, used to use Isopure Perfect between 2006-2008 (stopped because my lactose intolerance came back fulltime)...then I started using NitroFusion 2008-stopped buying when it was discontinued...for the past month i've been using Arbonne protein powder [that of which I distribute]. Looking forward to a swift return from Nitrofusion though. But with those powders, I always put in a teaspoonful of L-glutamine, with a pinch of cinnamon. Works wonders for me.
      Sega|Saturn

6. 06-11-2012 12:17 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Katie-S View Post
      Chocolate 2% milk. Or in the winter, hot chocolate.

It's not really necessary for me to use a true recovery drink, but this is a habit that I like that I got into back in the day when I competed in triathlons. And, it's tasty and the macros add up for me.

I mix it myself with my own ingredients and never buy the prebottled stuff.

Me also...skim chocolate milk is the best and its cheap....

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      06-12-2012 02:40 PM #42
      Check out this article by Dr. Casey Butt.
      He contrasting opinions to modern training techniques and recent developments like the pre-training and recovery drinks that you're supposed to drink less than 1 hour after lifting etc.

Basically he points to the 1950's bodybuilders and the kinds of training they did before steroids existed and he believes that modern strength training information is polluted by the kinds of training regimes steroid using bodybuilders use because their pre-competition training regimes get so much attention in magazines.

It's kind of interesting when you consider that these 50's bodybuilders don't look any different than modern steroid-free bodybuilders and yet they didn't have any supplements at all and their training was completely different. It supports this other article I was reading in the Journal of Exercise Physiology that said
      Genetic factors apparently have a very strong influence on how people respond to the exact resistance training protocol. That is, responses are primarily determined by genetics, not by specific training protocols.
      Basically their study just found that we are genetically predisposed and all strength training has the same effectiveness. Doing one set 3 times per week had nearly identical results to doing three sets three times per week etc. It's pretty interesting stuff.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      06-12-2012 03:54 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Check out this article by Dr. Casey Butt.
      He contrasting opinions to modern training techniques and recent developments like the pre-training and recovery drinks that you're supposed to drink less than 1 hour after lifting etc.

Basically he points to the 1950's bodybuilders and the kinds of training they did before steroids existed and he believes that modern strength training information is polluted by the kinds of training regimes steroid using bodybuilders use because their pre-competition training regimes get so much attention in magazines.

It's kind of interesting when you consider that these 50's bodybuilders don't look any different than modern steroid-free bodybuilders and yet they didn't have any supplements at all and their training was completely different. It supports this other article I was reading in the Journal of Exercise Physiology that said

Basically their study just found that we are genetically predisposed and all strength training has the same effectiveness. Doing one set 3 times per week had nearly identical results to doing three sets three times per week etc. It's pretty interesting stuff.
      pretty much squats and deads, then
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      06-14-2012 02:19 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Yeah he talks a lot about compound exercises but the third section goes into a nice long rant about supplements.

I can't count how many times I've seen guys in the gym wimp out on a set of squats and put the bar back with good reps left in them (if they even do squats), yet those same guys will whip out a bottle of some useless, overpriced capsules of God-knows-what when their workout is finished and think they're accomplishing something. Let me tell you, there isn't a supplement on Earth that's as anabolic as that one extra squat would have been had they been man enough to do it. But they'll sit on the bench with their hopes in a little bottle of pills of ground up weeds from God-knows-where and not supported by a shred of peer reviewed scientific evidence. These people need to wake up!
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      06-14-2012 08:44 PM #45
      A hearty calorie dense shake during my workout consisting of powdered oats, fats, milk and whey. Post workout it's milk and whey.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      05 SRT-4 S3R, 95 Volvo T-5R
      06-15-2012 05:57 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubmike2 View Post
      ive been doing 3 scoops of chocolate "mass-tech" in 2 cups of milk, with strawberries, a banana, and a big scoop of peanut butter. banana and strawberries are more or less just for flavor but it tastes pretty damn good. im trying to put on weight so a different protein in skim milk or water might be more ideal for others.
      I am going to give this a shot.. It sounds like it would be perfect in the morning when no time for a decent breakfast...

Sent from my phone when I probably should be working...

Vehicles
      05 SRT-4 S3R, 95 Volvo T-5R
      06-15-2012 06:06 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 010CarbonSteel View Post
      You got it! Way too confused...

Despite my actual results from the program and their results and recovery formula...I guess my BODY is lying... sorry

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
      I know I am late to this party but can you elaborate a bit... Did you not like the program or...? I am interested to hear your opinion.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      06-16-2012 06:07 AM #48
      He was being sarcastic. Great post from T-Nation though.

Vehicles
      bagged 6
      06-17-2012 11:48 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by malv1 View Post
      I know I am late to this party but can you elaborate a bit... Did you not like the program or...? I am interested to hear your opinion.

yeah i did the program. and i loved it! Great results and hard work

15. 07-26-2012 03:03 PM #50
      In my opinion packed drinks are not more healthy and beneficial for the health and fitness.
      You should try to take some thing natural such as fresh fruits juices or fruits and milk shakes or protein shakes to get rich amount of energy and for the muscles recovery.
      Last edited by Morris125; 07-28-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Vehicles
      mk4 GTI vr6
      07-26-2012 03:06 PM #51
      Bloody mary for a hangover, optimum nutrition gold standard for after a workout

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
      VRalliance#90

Vehicles
      bagged 6
      08-02-2012 10:19 AM #52
      A good apple is always a great idea!

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2012 11:46 AM #53
      My post workout drink is in the morning so it kind of doubles as my 2nd breakfast as well. It may look kind of gross but it's actually delicious and a good way to get some calories in since I'm trying to gain.

I usually have to fill my shaker cup twice with this from the blender...

2 cups of 2% milk
      a carton of all whites (equal to 10 egg whites) they are just pasteurized plain egg whites nothing else is added at all ie not egg beaters....
      2 scoops of whey protein powder strawberry cause pink is manly (usually whatever is on sale)
      1 Tbs natural peanut butter
      1 avocado
      1 tub of plain or vanilla greek yoghurt
      cup or 2 of frozen berries/fruit/banana/blueberries whatever I feel like that day.

19. Member
      08-03-2012 12:30 PM #54
      Gotta hand it to you- that is a hell of a good mix for weight gain. Gotta pay to play- looks expensive to drink twice a day everyday.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-03-2012 05:33 PM #55
      Oh I didn't mean to say that I drink that twice....It's just so much liquid that it ends up filling an entire blender so I have to split it up into two containers to drink. I drink them both right away though.

When I wake up around 350-400 am I don't really have time to cook a real breakfast so I drink some water w/ protein powder and eat a piece of fruit to get some energy (about 45 min before my workout) On my way to the gym I drink a cup of coffee.

It's kind of expensive but it's the easier to follow for me since I have a blender at work...Everyone loves watching me dump random **** into the blender

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      08-04-2012 12:03 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      ...Everyone loves watching me dump random **** into the blender
      They should start bringing you sacrifices. I vote for frogs legs.

08-04-2012 01:01 PM #57
      Fetus of virgins !

Oh and
      Frozen mixed fruit
      OJ
      3 scoops proteins
      Ice
      Yogurt

And a new born kid !
      Last edited by Chilledman; 08-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-04-2012 05:22 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Fetus of virgins !

Oh and
      Frozen mixed fruit
      OJ
      3 scoops proteins
      Ice
      Yogurt

And a new born kid !
      Yeah If the cord's not attached still it's not fresh enough for me

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-11-2012 07:14 AM #59
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HQ0l...er_profilepage

Video of said shake in action...w/ explosions

08-12-2012 02:27 AM #60
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HQ0l...er_profilepage

Video of said shake in action...w/ explosions
      That was hilarious. Aren't those egg whites a rip tho, compared to just eggs removing the yolk?

Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      08-12-2012 03:11 AM #61
      It kind of is a rip off...but I'm paying for the practicality I guess...I take them w/ me to work and make this at work every day. The other issue is drinking raw eggs from the shell (these are pasteurized) but the ingredients is just 100% egg whites.

Oh and I hate the taste of eggs..never really been a fan so this way I can mix in 10 eggs and never notice the difference.

08-12-2012 07:49 PM #62
      It kind of is a rip off...but I'm paying for the practicality I guess...I take them w/ me to work and make this at work every day. The other issue is drinking raw eggs from the shell (these are pasteurized) but the ingredients is just 100% egg whites.

Oh and I hate the taste of eggs..never really been a fan so this way I can mix in 10 eggs and never notice the difference.

Ahh didn't know they were pasteurized, and yeah convenience is worth something

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      08-14-2012 02:31 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      I think you can get away with 6 basic movements, bench, row, squat, dead, overhead press and pull ups. I build my workouts around these but I usually sub a wide upright row for overhead presses because they seem easier on my shoulders.

He was being sarcastic. Great post from T-Nation though.
      The only problem I see with that article is that T-Nation posted an article on intermittent fasting a while back that contradicts a lot of the info in that article.

Vehicles
      1986 RX7
      08-14-2012 02:53 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      The only problem I see with that article is that T-Nation posted an article on intermittent fasting a while back that contradicts a lot of the info in that article.
      I know what you mean. It's hard to get the straight truth.

30. 08-15-2012 01:07 AM #65
      Whey and donuts, or vodka & redbull.

31. 08-23-2012 06:25 AM #66
      Banana and strawberries are more or less just for flavor but it tastes pretty damn good. im trying to put on weight so a different protein in skim milk or water might be more ideal for others.

32. 08-25-2012 06:35 AM #67
      I always prefer water or shake(fruits or protein)And in my point of view this is the best option for this.
      tomhank

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      08-29-2012 06:25 PM #68
      jack and coke. cures hangovers quick.
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

34. 09-22-2012 11:38 AM #69
      whey protein + water

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12