Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 47

    Thread: From a really, really red MT MKVI GTI......to a sterile, hospital white DSG B7 3.6!!!

    1. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-03-2012 03:23 PM #1
      I did it!

      I parted ways with my '10 GTI!! It was, quite possibly, the BEST of my numerous Volkswagens over the past 27 years.

      I ordered it virtually to spec: four doors, manual transmission, Interlagos cloth interior, no roof, rear airbags, Dynaudio and Bi-Xenons with AFS........in TORNADO RED!!!

      I then proceeded to "tweek"' here 'n there....





      Here's the "tweeking" : http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Y-RED-MKVI-GTI

      Anyway, enough of this crying like a little BEEEEEEEYOOOOTCH!!!

      It's a new year!!!....and my already 4 & 1/2 foot tall 6-year-old son isn't gettin' any shorter, so let's move on shall we????

      So as not to break Rule #1....













      So far:

      • tint
      • black-painted calipers
      • H&Rs ordered
      • Roof rack on hold...(ahem...)
      • appointment scheduled for VagCom "stuff"
      • Euro switch
      • rear European plate installed
      • personalized plate ordered


      This will NOT be anything like Andy's Passat (mreuro).....

    2. 01-03-2012 03:26 PM #2
      Very nice! Welcome to the white Passat club LOL

    3. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2011
      Location
      Indianapolis
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SEL, 2005 Jetta TDI
      01-03-2012 03:44 PM #3
      What did you use to paint your calipers? Did you remove them and spray them or leave them on and brush them?

    4. 01-03-2012 03:49 PM #4
      looks good!!

    5. Member cheapa55TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2011
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      01-03-2012 03:59 PM #5
      Looks great! I can't wait to see more. Your GTI looks sweet!

    6. Member gwernerjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond VA
      Posts
      692
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      01-03-2012 06:34 PM #6
      Is it a 3.6 SE? or SEL? And what are the differences between the two? I see you got the spoiler too; any other VW accessories? I immediately went for the nitro fill and VW stem caps for fun haha.

      Btw its so inappropriate to put a euro plate on a US VERSION haha.

    7. Member Turbonium20V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      1,102
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      01-03-2012 06:55 PM #7
      Both look great but you need to ditch the rear euro plate with the US plate on top.
      Last edited by Turbonium20V; 01-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.

    8. Member Turbonium20V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      1,102
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      01-03-2012 06:59 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gwernerjr View Post
      Is it a 3.6 SE? or SEL? And what are the differences between the two? I see you got the spoiler too; any other VW accessories? I immediately went for the nitro fill and VW stem caps for fun haha.

      Btw its so inappropriate to put a euro plate on a US VERSION haha.
      3.6 SEL (chrome moldings)

    9. Member gwernerjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond VA
      Posts
      692
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      01-03-2012 07:42 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium20V View Post
      3.6 SEL (chrome moldings)

      Nice; I went for the 3.6SEL too; black/black though. Interesting how they offer 2.5 SEL and 2.5 SEL premium, but only TDI SEL Premium, and 3.6 SEL Premium. So technically you never have to say premium on the TDIs and SELs because they don't offer a non prmium SEL. The only way to get RNS510 without kessy is a 2.5 SEL..

    10. Member Seki's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2009
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      2,986
      Vehicles
      2012 A6
      01-03-2012 07:59 PM #10
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

    11. Member mreuro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2005
      Location
      Buford, GA
      Posts
      8,414
      Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      01-04-2012 12:42 AM #11
      Looking good Julian!!! I will see you next week.... We can take few pictures

    12. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-04-2012 09:09 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by roost3r View Post
      Very nice! Welcome to the white Passat club LOL
      Thanks.

      Quote Originally Posted by johnmoss View Post
      What did you use to paint your calipers? Did you remove them and spray them or leave them on and brush them?
      High temperature spray paint.....And, yes, they were partially removed.

      Quote Originally Posted by TCM GLX View Post
      looks good!!
      Thanks. My birthday is approaching. I want lights. Got any?

      Quote Originally Posted by cheapa55TDI View Post
      Looks great! I can't wait to see more. Your GTI looks sweet!
      You can only imagine!! An amaaaazing ride. But, I wasn't really pushing the "pocket rocket" performance envelope. Heck, for the last few months, I was averaging 30-34 mpg!! I must've been preparing for Geezerville.

      Quote Originally Posted by gwernerjr View Post
      Is it a 3.6 SE? or SEL? And what are the differences between the two? I see you got the spoiler too; any other VW accessories? I immediately went for the nitro fill and VW stem caps for fun haha.

      Btw its so inappropriate to put a euro plate on a US VERSION haha.
      3.6 SEL Premium with Black Dinamica.

      As for the Euro plate, I was ribbed by the MKVI forum.......and even given a warning by one of Palm Beach's finest. I like it.....even if its built no where near Wolfsburg.

      Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium20V View Post
      Both look great but you need to ditch the rear euro plate with the US plate on top.
      I can't. Its tradition....ever since VW started with the wider plate holders in the bumpers. I can't help myself. That extra space irritates me.

      Quote Originally Posted by gwernerjr View Post
      Nice; I went for the 3.6SEL too; black/black though. Interesting how they offer 2.5 SEL and 2.5 SEL premium, but only TDI SEL Premium, and 3.6 SEL Premium. So technically you never have to say premium on the TDIs and SELs because they don't offer a non prmium SEL. The only way to get RNS510 without kessy is a 2.5 SEL..
      Yours is clearly faster!

      Quote Originally Posted by mreuro View Post
      Looking good Julian!!! I will see you next week.... We can take few pictures
      Why thank you kind Sir.....King of B7 modifications!!.....I'm not worthy....

    13. Member mreuro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2005
      Location
      Buford, GA
      Posts
      8,414
      Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      01-05-2012 09:27 AM #13

    14. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-06-2012 09:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mreuro View Post
      Alright.....here goes nuttin'.......

      Andy, YOU WERE RIGHT!! I WAS WRONG!!......

      There....I said it.

    15. Member vwbrvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2002
      Location
      Boca Raton, FL
      Posts
      3,377
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      01-06-2012 10:57 PM #15
      Nice. Hey is your GTI still at the dealership or did somebody buy it already? I might wanna come down and check it out. Our Passat lease is almost over.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

    16. Member mreuro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2005
      Location
      Buford, GA
      Posts
      8,414
      Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      01-06-2012 11:05 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      Alright.....here goes nuttin'.......

      Andy, YOU WERE RIGHT!! I WAS WRONG!!......

      There....I said it.
      About?

    17. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-07-2012 08:42 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Nice. Hey is your GTI still at the dealership or did somebody buy it already? I might wanna come down and check it out. Our Passat lease is almost over.
      Please don't remind me. Yes, its still there....

      I've hidden the keys...and thwarted attempts by numerous sales guys that "just wanna drive it".....

      A pretty enthusiastic 'Texer seems to be quite interested and may be picking it up next week. I need to thoroughly interview ALL potential buyers.

      Once I give up the keys to the appropriate "department", who the heck knows what they'll price it at. Until then, I've got some control of the pricing....especially with all the stuff I left on it!!!

      Shoot me a PM.

    18. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-07-2012 08:45 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mreuro View Post
      About?
      Are really gonna make me spell it out?

      Geeeeeeeezsch....

      Andy, when you purchased your Passat VR6 SEL Premium, and I called you an old Geezer....and told you that your decision was a big mistake...and that you should have gotten a GLI.....and now I've gone and done the SAME EXACT THING.....you were right, and I WAS WRONG!!!

      There......Jerk!



      See you this week!

    19. Member Turbonium20V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      1,102
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      01-07-2012 09:10 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      Are really gonna make me spell it out?

      Geeeeeeeezsch....

      Andy, when you purchased your Passat VR6 SEL Premium, and I called you an old Geezer....and told you that your decision was a big mistake...and that you should have gotten a GLI.....and now I've gone and done the SAME EXACT THING.....you were right, and I WAS WRONG!!!

      There......Jerk!



      See you this week!
      LMAO You did a good move, there's also ways to enjoy the Passat family man.

    20. Member mreuro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2005
      Location
      Buford, GA
      Posts
      8,414
      Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      01-07-2012 10:38 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      Are really gonna make me spell it out?

      Geeeeeeeezsch....

      Andy, when you purchased your Passat VR6 SEL Premium, and I called you an old Geezer....and told you that your decision was a big mistake...and that you should have gotten a GLI.....and now I've gone and done the SAME EXACT THING.....you were right, and I WAS WRONG!!!

      There......Jerk!



      See you this week!
      hahaha...... I TOLD YOU!!!!


    21. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-07-2012 08:08 PM #21
      Now officially the kid haulerl!!







      As much as I miss my MKVI GTI....and a manual transmission, at least I have this:


    22. Member Turbonium20V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      1,102
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      01-07-2012 08:15 PM #22
      Nice Cabrio, nice Passat and nice house!

    23. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-08-2012 11:57 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium20V View Post
      Nice Cabrio, nice Passat and nice house!
      Thanks. The Cabbie is mine (manual tranny)...The Passat is partially hers, considering its a DSG.....The Routan is hers.....and, the house is hers.

      My stable is quite hilarious if you think about it:

      a German-designed, German-engineered, German-built Volkswagen (built in Wolfsburg)
      a German-designed, German-engineered, American-built Volkswagen (built in Tennessee)
      an American-designed, American-engineered, Canadian-built Volkswagen (built in Windsor)


    24. 01-08-2012 12:07 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      Thanks. The Cabbie is mine (manual tranny)...The Passat is partially hers, considering its a DSG.....The Routan is hers.....and, the house is hers.

      My stable is quite hilarious if you think about it:

      a German-designed, German-engineered, German-built Volkswagen (built in Wolfsburg)
      a German-designed, German-engineered, American-built Volkswagen (built in Tennessee)
      an American-designed, American-engineered, Canadian-built Volkswagen (built in Windsor)


      Right on!!! I have a White bus too!!

    25. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-08-2012 02:05 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by TCM GLX View Post
      Right on!!! I have a White bus too!!
      I spy some non-VW wheels....Chrysler? Dodge?

      I thought about finding some SRT wheels....maybe from the Nitro?....and decided against it. She could care less, and I'd rather use the funds for the Cabbie.

    26. 01-08-2012 02:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      I spy some non-VW wheels....Chrysler? Dodge?

      I thought about finding some SRT wheels....maybe from the Nitro?....and decided against it. She could care less, and I'd rather use the funds for the Cabbie.
      19" dodge journey wheels. She asked me to do it within a week of owning it. Hahaha, I taught my wife too well.

    27. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-11-2012 08:11 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by TCM GLX View Post
      19" dodge journey wheels. She asked me to do it within a week of owning it. Hahaha, I taught my wife too well.
      Those wheels are subtle but look great! Nice bus...nice taste...

      On a side note, a big thanks and to mreuro for help with the vagcom mods today. (actually it was more like "thanks for doing all that stuff for me while I work.")

      Also, what a tease to know that the box with the H&R springs is sitting in my office and won't be installed for another week....

    28. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-27-2012 08:59 PM #28
      The H&R springs made it out of the box....finally!









      ...and since I'm TOTALLY missing driving a manual transmission, I've been busy playing with the Cabbie....

      Installed a Reiger front lip...





      ...and "painted" the white boot cover black...







      ...and took a scenic pic....


    29. Member Turbonium20V's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      1,102
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI 4 Dr DSG
      01-27-2012 09:04 PM #29
      Both looking great! I really like the Passat as it is now.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2006
      Posts
      190
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      01-27-2012 09:27 PM #30
      Nice cars.

      How do you like the ride with the h&r spring?

    31. Member TDI Brad's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2011
      Location
      SC
      Posts
      563
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL
      01-27-2012 09:48 PM #31
      That does it I have to get the HR springs now. Man that looks good. I am courious about the ride too.
      Euro switch, 30% 3M nano ceramic tint, Chinese BiXenon headlights and LED tail lights, H&R springs, paddle shifter steering from V6, 20" Giovanna Kilis wheels, 225/35ZR20 Conti DWS tires

    32. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      01-28-2012 11:29 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbonium20V View Post
      Both looking great! I really like the Passat as it is now.
      Tenks......I, too, really like the way the Passat sits now. It's not obnoxiously low, and most may not notice. But, it looks pretty mean.... and serious......and LOOOOOOOOOOONG!!

      Quote Originally Posted by redneckracing View Post
      Nice cars.

      How do you like the ride with the h&r spring?
      Grassurass....

      I've only driven 50 miles or so.....but so far so good. Due to the length of the wheelbase, I really think it will be quite difficult to ruin the ride of the Passat. It's not harsh by any means, and it definitely corners much better. Less roll. Better stability at turn in. The boat-like feeling at turn-in is less noticeable

      Quote Originally Posted by TDI Brad View Post
      That does it I have to get the HR springs now. Man that looks good. I am courious about the ride too.
      Doeeeeeeeat!!! Geeeeeeetum!!! Everyone's doin' it!!!

      Never mind. The ride sux....and it looks ghetto too.....

    33. Member mreuro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2005
      Location
      Buford, GA
      Posts
      8,414
      Vehicles
      07 GLI-F sold, 12 Passat SEL VR6, 14 GLI
      01-28-2012 05:11 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by jsmyle1%... View Post
      Those wheels are subtle but look great! Nice bus...nice taste...

      On a side note, a big thanks and to mreuro for help with the vagcom mods today. (actually it was more like "thanks for doing all that stuff for me while I work.")

      Also, what a tease to know that the box with the H&R springs is sitting in my office and won't be installed for another week....
      Welcome

    34. Member jsmyle1%...'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      '89 Cabriolet, His & Hers '13 Passat SEL TDIs
      02-05-2012 01:55 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by mreuro View Post
      Welcome
      See you on the 20th....

    35. 02-06-2012 04:42 PM #35
      Surprised you didn't get Tornado Red..
      @WhiteOnRice25

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •