Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 08 R32 little fix caused big problem

Vehicles
      Pearl white B5 A4 DBM MKV R32 02 WRX(slammed)
      01-03-2012 06:42 PM #1
      My fiance has an 08 R, she treats it like her baby... oil changes on time, always keeping it clean the whole 9 and it has never let her down till now. She was on her way home from a 12 hr overnight shift (she's an RN) and the battery light came on. She called me, didnt sound like a big deal as she was almost home and I would take a look at it when I got home. I figured either alternator or a new battery was in order, no big deal. She then calls me telling me that her temp gauge went up, then back down and that the needle never went into the red. GREAT!, so obviously she threw her serpentine belt... causing the alternator to not charge the battery or spin the waterpump. She was on the highway so she didnt notice the power steering or brakes not working. No signs of the car working improperly or any reason to pull over. So the car died right when she pulled off the highway, battery died I assume? She got the car towed to the local VW dealer, they replaced the tensioner (cause of belt failing, no signs of it going prior... no odd noises nothing). After they fixed this they call and tell her "we fixed the problem, but now your car is running like ****." GREAT, so they "think" its either the headgasket or the head is warped due to her "overheating it".

The dealership contacted VW last wednesday and we just got the news today (following tuesday) that the work that needs to be done will NOT be covereed under warranty by VW due to the tensioner failing and continuing to drive it.

My questions is, how can I go about trying to get VW to atleast help with this situation. The car has 57k on it (still within the 60k powertrain warranty). The car never gave her any indication or real reason to pull over, no check engine nothing... the temp gage went back down to normal operating after not even reaching the red zone. The battery light coming on wouldnt give you any reason to pull over either. She was on the highway (no where to pull over anyways) so she didnt notice steering etc.

If anyone took the time to read this and has any input I would greatly appeciate it. If you have run into any warranty situations with VW what is the best was of going about it with them?

Thanks
      -Carl
      EastCoastStrong

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      01-04-2012 12:44 AM #2
      that sounds like complete BS...id call VWOA and not let the dealership handle it, she's still within her factory warranty and VW knows the tensioners are failing its not her fault it overheated, keep calling until you find someone who will help you

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      01-10-2012 02:09 AM #3
      X2

Call Volkswagen of America since you are still within the warranty. And if they said they wont cover it due to you keep driving it, thats BULL **** absed on your story. If the Tensionor DID fail, it had to have happend right then and their to cause the Belt ot get tore up. Especially if no lights or CEL came on then how the hell would a "normal driver" know what do to especially if the car didnt make any weird noises, minus the belt maybe.

And yes ir ead the entire thing, lol. I had a similar experience with my CPO R32 w/in 2 mo of purchase. Dealer tried to tell me that there is no way it was their fault that my ECU died at 77k ( iw as covered up till 86k) Long story short, after being towed 12 times in 2 weeks and 4 trips to 3 dealers they tried to tell me a rat chewed my wires and id have to sehll out 3k for a new ecu, etc. I looked for 3 days and couldnt find one chewed wire. When i brought this to the Serv Managers atttention and phys showed him w.o taking the car apart anymore than it was... they finally agreed. They tried saying i must have chipped it, or i did something toc ause this due to the fact it had Aftermarket wheels on it which was bought with the R at the Dealer. So anyways, The dealer will try to Bull**** you as much as possible and will twist the story to fit their needs if they feel like it.

Good luck and hope u get this fixed.
      Instagram- @eboudah

Vehicles
      2000 C/W Jetta, 2005 XC90, 2010 CW GTI, 2010 Maxima SV, 2014 Durango, 2008 Yamaha R6
      01-10-2012 09:19 AM #4
      You should call VWOA of tell the dealer "Look it's under the powertrain warranty and they have to fix it" as long as you didn't go over the year limit since you bought the car. On a side note the reason the car didn't feel hard to turn or anything like that (going to the comment you made about her not feeling to pull the car over) is because the power steering on the MK5 is electronic. So there is no power steering pump that is driven by the serpentine belt nor is there a fluid resovoir. As long is there is enough juice in the battery to operate the motor then is will steer "normal". IMO the car threw the belt somehow, overheated and either the head is warped or the headgasket is gone. Regardless anyone of those failed parts is VW's responsibility so fight for it and have then fix it. There's no reason you should have to pay a dime unless your past your 5 yrs of warranty since your under mileage. Hope this helps and good luck.
      Last edited by MasterNele03; 01-26-2012 at 10:33 AM.
      Drive it like you stole it!!!
      XBL GT: MasterNele 03

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      01-25-2012 06:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MasterNele03 View Post
      You should call VWOA of tell the dealer "Look it's under the powertrain warranty and they have to fix it" as long as you didn't go over the year limit since you bought the car. On a side note the reason the car didn't feel hard to turn or anything like that (going to the comment you made about her not feeling to pull the car over) is because the power steering on the MK5 is electronic. So there is no power steering pump that is driven by the serpentine belt nor is there a fluid resovoir. As long is there is enough juice in the battery to operate the motor then is will steer "normal". IMO the car threw the belt somehow, overheated and either the head is warped or the headgasket is gone. Regardless anyone of those failed parts is VW's responsibility so fight for it and have then fix it. There's no reason you should have to pay a dime unless your past your 3 yrs of warranty since your under mileage. Hope this helps and good luck.
      powertrain warranty is 5/60 not 3/36

Vehicles
      2000 C/W Jetta, 2005 XC90, 2010 CW GTI, 2010 Maxima SV, 2014 Durango, 2008 Yamaha R6
      01-26-2012 10:33 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubbinJetta91 View Post
      powertrain warranty is 5/60 not 3/36
      fixed: just a typo
      Drive it like you stole it!!!
      XBL GT: MasterNele 03

Vehicles
      2008 R32
      02-11-2012 04:43 PM #7
      call the dealer back and tell them you want the number to customer relations. im a certified vw tech and i see cases all the time where vw customer relations calls the dealer and authorizes the dealer to do the repairs under a goodwill. they dont always cover 100% but every bit helps.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2001/VW/Jetta GLX
      03-01-2012 06:09 PM #8
      I would get a lawyer and fight it withe VWOA, if this is a common issue, and now recalls have been put out, you have a fighting case.

Vehicles
      Pearl white B5 A4 DBM MKV R32 02 WRX(slammed)
      03-16-2012 12:27 PM #9
      finally got a cylinder head from texas for 1600 plus shipping and it isnt going to work. part of the casting is broken where the timing components bolt up.
      EastCoastStrong

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      03-20-2012 11:32 PM #10
      Sorry to hear what happened. How ever, I would not pay a single cent if I were you. I would argue the fact (as several others have stated) that How would one know, that driving that far for a long period of time with out giving any CEL or ANY warning what so ever, to have have caused that type of damage. you are still under warranty.

Good Luck.