Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Known issues with the new Beetle

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle 2.5 Platnium Grey
      05-05-2012 05:16 PM #71
      I picked up my registration today for my 2012 Bug. I'll have her a month on Monday. Whlile I was there they did the compimentary check up on her. The issue with the window occured again rite before I got there and I left the window open with that slight gap that it has when opening the doors. I should also add that this was the second time I told them about this problem. The first time, the manager told me to reset the window with the switch, holding down for five seconds up and down.

Before she went in I told the service manager about the window issue. An hour later, he comes into the waiting area and says I'm all ready. I get out to the car and see that the window is all the way up and the car is locked, as I would expect. Now on my part I didnt' check until I was home, but the darn window issue is still there. That tells me they didn't even look at it they have no clue what to do. What should my next move be. Should I just call VOA, or should I take it back and make them take the door apart and see what the problem is.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-06-2012 08:11 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by kirk1015 View Post
      I picked up my registration today for my 2012 Bug. I'll have her a month on Monday. Whlile I was there they did the compimentary check up on her. The issue with the window occured again rite before I got there and I left the window open with that slight gap that it has when opening the doors. I should also add that this was the second time I told them about this problem. The first time, the manager told me to reset the window with the switch, holding down for five seconds up and down.

Before she went in I told the service manager about the window issue. An hour later, he comes into the waiting area and says I'm all ready. I get out to the car and see that the window is all the way up and the car is locked, as I would expect. Now on my part I didnt' check until I was home, but the darn window issue is still there. That tells me they didn't even look at it they have no clue what to do. What should my next move be. Should I just call VOA, or should I take it back and make them take the door apart and see what the problem is.
      When I went into Bay Ridge Motors Service Dep't. in Brooklyn they removed the door panel
      and lubricated the window regulator according to the documentation I was given. They may
      also have tightened up items in the inner door area but all I know is that the window is no
      longer showing the sensitivity issue it had before. It now continues to work properly.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Golf GTI TFSI
      05-06-2012 05:10 PM #73
      There seems to be quite a lot of build quality issues on the 2012 Beetle then , such a shame when its such a nice looking car.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      05-10-2012 10:12 AM #74
      Question regarding 87/93 octane fuel...when I went in to get my fuel sensor fixed again, they drained my 93 out to replace the part and put 87 back in. I noticed on the way home it didn't have that punch it usually has and felt extremely sluggish. They were suppose to fill the entire tank back up but only filled it up just above the empty mark (inbetween empty and 1/4th) After I used that up completely I put 93 back in and the engine seems to work like normal. But I'm wondering will 87 actually hurt it? They were suppose to fill it back up so I was debating if it was worth having them do that or not...

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      05-10-2012 11:06 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by vdub10golf View Post
      But I'm wondering will 87 actually hurt it?
      A lower octane fuel can have the tendency to ignite prematurely which is called knocking or detonation. This can cause many different issues as your pistons and valves will not be at the right positions for the proper engine rotation.

Personally I can't believe that they put 87 back into it when the manual specifically states to use Premium.

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      05-10-2012 12:15 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by plex03 View Post
      A lower octane fuel can have the tendency to ignite prematurely which is called knocking or detonation. This can cause many different issues as your pistons and valves will not be at the right positions for the proper engine rotation.

Personally I can't believe that they put 87 back into it when the manual specifically states to use Premium.
      They actually put 87 in all of the cars. Not sure if this is every dealership or not, but mine only has 87 gas on-site. I asked if they could somehow fill it back up with 93 and they said no

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle (my 4th Beetle). Started with a '64 Ghia.
      05-11-2012 01:11 AM #77
      I usually use 89, but have used 91 and 87 in all 4 of my Beetles.
      I asked my dealer what they recommend, and they said 87. I have never had any knocking.
      1964 &1968 Ghias. 2003, 2007, 2009, and FINALLY 2012 Beetles!

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 07:24 AM #78
      Moody,

Do you have 2.5 or a Turbo?

I know with the Turbo's it specifically states to use Premium fuel but I can't speak to the 2.5 as I don't have one.

That being said, if yours is a Turbo and they're telling you to use 87 they should be punched in the face.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-11-2012 09:25 AM #79
      Moody,

I know with the Turbo's it specifically states to use Premium fuel but I can't speak to the 2.5 as I don't have one.

That being said, if yours is a Turbo and they're telling you to use 87 they should be punched in the face.
      I believe 'Moody' opted for the 2.5 and not the turbo.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      06-01-2012 09:06 AM #80
      I'm sorry to hear you guys are having so many issues with the 2012 Beetle. Other than the windows issue (which has since been resolved) I really haven't had any issues w/the car. This is the 3rd new generation Beetle I have purchased ('98, '06, 2012). The '06 also had window issues.

Also, I have not had any issues with the wind noise. Do you think this could be a Launch Edition or Turbo thing?

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle in Toffee Brown
      06-01-2012 09:40 AM #81
      My issues are all minor. The plastic over the instrument panel is still squeaking. A piece of paper shoved in the corner fixed that until I can give up my car for a day for them to also fix the windows. The screen for the sunroof is also stuck in the open position. The fabric is caught up on the track and won't slide. I'd take this minor crap over having something majorly wrong with the actual running/driving of the car.

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 10:40 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by katie78 View Post
      My issues are all minor. The plastic over the instrument panel is still squeaking. A piece of paper shoved in the corner fixed that until I can give up my car for a day for them to also fix the windows. The screen for the sunroof is also stuck in the open position. The fabric is caught up on the track and won't slide. I'd take this minor crap over having something majorly wrong with the actual running/driving of the car.
      That's the spirit.

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle/Manual/Heritage Wheels
      06-02-2012 10:23 AM #83
      I picked my car up last Saturday and started having the window issue on the drive home. (For katie78, I've found that if I raise the window without engaging one-touch, and if I actually stop pulling myself after I've raised it a couple of inches (as opposed to waiting for the window to hiccup on its own), I'm able to get the window up in increments almost all of the time.) The next day an awful rattle in the back hatch started, then a rattle in the front end when I went over bumps, and finally the thing where the windows don't close when you exit the car and close the door. The next day I couldn't get my rear hatch opened even though I heard the mechanism unlatch when I used the fob, and then I couldn't lock the car for several tries and the horn stopped sounding when I finally did.

The dealer ordered the part for the drivers window craziness and told me that the issues I was having with the windows, the locking, the rear hatch latching, and the rear rattle were all due to the back hatch not being completely closed. I had been closing it, but they told me I had to really close it hard. If it's true it's an obvious quirk, but at least it resolved those issues.

The noise in the front end is still outstanding. It's also the most troublesome issue to me. Hopefully we can get it fixed. I'll post when we do.

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle/Manual/Heritage Wheels
      06-02-2012 10:34 AM #84
      I'm also having an issue similar to others' with the gas gauge. Though I can fill up it goes to 1/16th tank very quickly. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now (have only put gas in once). I think one thing to consider is that the gas gauge is huge (which I love) so the needle moves noticeably when the gauge is down 1/16th tank or even less. Considering that the tank is only 14.5 gallons you would see the gauge move after a very few miles. I know some people are experiencing an inability to fill up at all so this doesn't apply to everyone, but I thought it was worth putting out there.

My gas mileage seems to be pretty dismal. Tracking it since my last fill-up.

All that said I truly dig this car. I like it more every day.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      06-02-2012 01:44 PM #85
      locking, the rear hatch latching, and the rear rattle were all due to the back hatch not being completely closed. I had been closing it, but they told me I had to really close it hard. If it's true it's an obvious quirk, but at least it resolved those issues.
      Hi Mike,
      I just wanted to give another data point, and maybe it is just our cars and not all, but I was also having an issue with the locking. I was confused, because I've never had a vehicle with remote entry / remote locks / alarm before, but I noticed that sometimes it would beep when I locked it remotely, and sometimes not. Turns out it was because it thought the hatch was not closed completely. And indeed, it wasn't really, it was closed enough not to open, but there was play in it. If I am sure to close it hard, then there is no play in the hatch, and the car recognizes it as being completely closed. I just went and experimented with this. It is definitely possible to close the hatch enough that it seems closed, and won't open, but is not _completely_ closed. If the light in the trunk does not go off as soon as the hatch is closed, then it is not completely closed, and will not beep when locked. I do wonder too, if this is the source of some peoples' rattles. If this starts to be a pain, or if it gets worse (ie needs ever increasing amounts of force to close fully), then I will bring it to the dealers' attention. Otherwise, I plan on just trying to be mindful of completely closing the hatch.

I have experienced twice the window issue. For the moment, I'm ok with it, but if it happens more often, I will take it to the dealer for that too. Or maybe I will mention it to them when I have my courtesy check next month (only had the car 2 weeks).

Despite having some concerns (this is my virst VW), I really dig the car so far! It handles quite nicely, and has good pep when you want it. Also, I got ~31 mpg on my first tank, which I'm pretty pleased with, though I think I can do better. It is so difficult not to step on the gas, knowing that turbo is there...

GTarr

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      06-02-2012 01:53 PM #86
      If you don't hear that loud 'flashing' response when locking, it could be the doors, the
      outer gas cap area cover, or the rear hatch. Make sure all are checked if you don't get
      get the loud 'flashing' response when activating the lock button on your key module.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      06-02-2012 05:13 PM #87
      Most people do not know how to correctly close the rear trunk lid in a new generation Beetle. Stand directly behind the trunk. There is a recess on the inside of the lower edge of the door. Place your fingers in the recess (fingers are toward you in a somewhat cup shape, gripping the edge of the recess with your fingertips). With a swift motion while still gripping the recess, bring your hand (and trunk lid) downward. As you get about half-way down, pull your hand out of the way and toward yourself. The momentum will continue the close motion and lock the trunk. This is explained (no so well) on page 46 of the Owner's Manual.

Pushing the trunk lid with your hands on the outside is not so good and gets fingerprints all over the trunk. Also never grasp the edge of the trunk lid with your hand. I had a friend who smashed his finger that way.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle in Toffee Brown
      06-04-2012 11:36 AM #88
      I've found that when the window starts acting up to hit the down button and hold it after it first goes it only 1/4 of the way. It seems to reset the window and it will go all the way up.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      06-04-2012 03:25 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by katie78 View Post
      I've found that when the window starts acting up to hit the down button and hold it after it first goes it only 1/4 of the way. It seems to reset the window and it will go all the way up.
      I was told the reset is activated by holding the 'up' button down and then when the window
      reaches full elevation, to hold it there for 3 - 5 seconds and the window will begin acting
      properly again. I found it works.....but after a week or so, the problem returns.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06-04-2012 06:17 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcB View Post
      I'm also having an issue similar to others' with the gas gauge. Though I can fill up it goes to 1/16th tank very quickly. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now (have only put gas in once). I think one thing to consider is that the gas gauge is huge (which I love) so the needle moves noticeably when the gauge is down 1/16th tank or even less. Considering that the tank is only 14.5 gallons you would see the gauge move after a very few miles. I know some people are experiencing an inability to fill up at all so this doesn't apply to everyone, but I thought it was worth putting out there.

My gas mileage seems to be pretty dismal. Tracking it since my last fill-up.

All that said I truly dig this car. I like it more every day.
      I've had the same issue with the fuel gauge- but not every time. I've filled up 5 times, and 3 0f 5 times it happened.
      My mileage is similar to my '09 NB.
      I truly DIG this car! Quirks and all!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      06-04-2012 06:19 PM #91
      Moody,

You're right, Ron. 2.5. I rarely used 87, still had no knocking.

22. 06-04-2012 08:52 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by noshine View Post
      So just an update on the beetle after getting it back from the dealerfor the second time. They had the car for almost 10 hours to fix just the window issue while the vw "engineers" were there and 2 days later the windows are messing up again. Trying to schedule a time to get it back to the dealer.
      I have been dealing with VW reguarding the windows. We have had the car at the dealer 6 times in 6 months. 3 times with in 1 month they replaced the "faulty gears" and the replaced the "faulty motors" and it was great for a week. Got a call from my wife today the windows are acting up again.... We have started the process for the lemon law.

Also we have been having paint chipping where the bumpers meet the fenders. Anybody else having this problem?

Vehicles
      '96 2.slo GTI,'04 R32, '13 golf
      06-07-2012 11:37 PM #93
      we got our candy white turbo luanch edition from automax in killeen and have taken it in 2 times now for the AC kicking off ,,the front bumper was misaligned and had to get it refitted and repainted, our passenger side seat the adjuster keeps sliping so when you sit inside the seat leans back by itself, also the passenger side seat is a pain in the ass to flip forward and then push back it gets stuck on the track, we also had the bad rattling going on in the rear hatch they added foam to it, a few weeks ago we heard whining high pitch ferquency sound coming from under the hood but they couldnt figure it out said they reset the computer , got about 13k miles on it after my little road trip here i just did , and it was hell days driving back thru arkansas and texas no AC at all it just would not kick on ;( , car goes back to the shop on friday to get the rood repainted the clear coated is completely peeling up in the rain trays of the roof ;(

Vehicles
      '15 GTI Autobahn
      06-08-2012 10:44 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by noshine View Post
      I have been dealing with VW reguarding the windows. We have had the car at the dealer 6 times in 6 months. 3 times with in 1 month they replaced the "faulty gears" and the replaced the "faulty motors" and it was great for a week. Got a call from my wife today the windows are acting up again.... We have started the process for the lemon law.

Also we have been having paint chipping where the bumpers meet the fenders. Anybody else having this problem?
      The last time they replaced the regulators it seemed to work, but very rarely now the driver-side window acts up on the first try, but works on the second (the 'Auto' use to just give out)

I haven't seen any paint chipping on the fenders but I'll be keeping an eye out now.

VW really needs to do a recall on all Beetles and fix all these same issues everyone here is experiencing.

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 03:04 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by vdub10golf View Post
      The last time they replaced the regulators it seemed to work, but very rarely now the driver-side window acts up on the first try, but works on the second (the 'Auto' use to just give out)
      Just this week I've started experiencing the exact same thing. I really thought that the issue was fixed and while this is not nearly as aggravating as it was prior to the repair, I have a feeling that it's just going to keep getting worse.

One thing I have noticed is that the glass used for the doors both have dips in them. The drivers side is worse and I wonder if that's part of the problem. I have to look at the glass standing at the rear fenders to notice it but the "waves" are definitely there.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      06-08-2012 08:04 PM #96
      Just this week I've started experiencing the exact same thing. I really thought that the issue was fixed and while this is not nearly as aggravating as it was prior to the repair, I have a feeling that it's just going to keep getting worse.

One thing I have noticed is that the glass used for the doors both have dips in them. The drivers side is worse and I wonder if that's part of the problem. I have to look at the glass standing at the rear fenders to notice it but the "waves" are definitely there.
      Plex - Haven't got the call that my 2 gear guides are in but today, for the first time in a few
      weeks, the driver's window did the 'upzy-downzy' once. A few weeks ago I accidently sent
      the windows into manual mode on both sides and am wondering if the pinch regulator feature
      might be better off removed? You would then have to hold the buttons until the full up or down
      'run' was completed. I guess I could live with the occasional 'upzy downzy' but wouldn't want
      to fear that it might become a rampant, uncontrollable event.

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal, Ferrari. But seriously, Ferrari.
      06-10-2012 09:59 PM #97
      Very loud tiking noise in multiple locations after driving. I am used to this noise, a lot of Fords and Chevys make it after driving. My question is, Is this normal? Is it just the metal cooling off? Why does it do this even after a 3 mile relaxed drive?

Last edited by Aonarch; 06-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Vehicles
      '96 2.slo GTI,'04 R32, '13 golf
      06-19-2012 06:35 PM #98
      Posting here as well, but the beetle has been in the shop since the 8th of this month for the AC issue and they still havent figured it out, they called the hubby and told him they have to do a overlay basically putting in a wire to the harness to see if this solves the issue, pretty strange in my opinion ;(

Vehicles
      06-19-2012 06:44 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIgina View Post
      Posting here as well, but the beetle has been in the shop since the 8th of this month for the AC issue and they still havent figured it out, they called the hubby and told him they have to do a overlay basically putting in a wire to the harness to see if this solves the issue, pretty strange in my opinion ;(
      I'd call VWoA and ask if they can float you a payment. They are normally really good at giving Visa gift cards or making a car payment.

Update:

Passenger mirror glass shattered (Half my fault), drivers window is still acting up after two fixes (On backorder list for all new parts), drivers side window switch trim replaced, and I have adhesive on the trim above the speedo.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Denim Blue 2.5 Auto
      06-20-2012 07:22 PM #100
      Anyone with paint peeling where bumper covers meet fender panels?, looks like they painted bumper covers mounted on car
      2012 Denim Blue Beetle 2.5 Auto w/ 17" Heritage wheels
      2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide
      Slideshow

Vehicles
      2014 BEETLE GSR
      06-20-2012 10:17 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by JR Martinez View Post
      Anyone with paint peeling where bumper covers meet fender panels?, looks like they painted bumper covers mounted on car
      Take it back to dealer and they will repaint the bumper, one white turbo launch edition I know of had the front bumper repainted.

KNEWBUG

32. 06-21-2012 04:06 PM #102
      I have a 2012 red turbo that had the paint peeling, it has been at the dealer for 4 weeks today. They are now waiting on the part to fix the window. Also on my first road trip from Illinois to Colorado had to have the throttle body harness replaced. Two dealerships in Colorado and two wasted vacation days. I've owned the car 5 months and more than one of those months it has been in the shop. Really disappointed in the quality of the car.

Vehicles
      06-21-2012 04:07 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by MrsDave View Post
      I have a 2012 red turbo that had the paint peeling, it has been at the dealer for 4 weeks today. They are now waiting on the part to fix the window. Also on my first road trip from Illinois to Colorado had to have the throttle body harness replaced. Two dealerships in Colorado and two wasted vacation days. I've owned the car 5 months and more than one of those months it has been in the shop. Really disappointed in the quality of the car.
      Call VWoA

Also http://www.carlemon.com/
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

34. 07-03-2012 08:38 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by MrsDave View Post
      VW bought our beetle back last week. We had been having very simular issues and I kept on them to get stuff fixed and when they said they didn't know why the gears and motors didn't fix my windows, and they had no idea what else to do. I told them I was done. So we went and bought a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI and we love it!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      07-07-2012 05:31 PM #105
      So I've been suffering through the windows issue just because I do like the car a lot and I'm sure they'll eventually fix it. The last two days I tried something that I used to have to do on my ex's Nissan. I just hold the button up for one full second and then let go. Works every time, at least for the last two days, where as before my window would hardly ever work. Just thought it might be a decent tip for anyone who is frustrated with it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast