VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Known issues with the new Beetle

21K views 143 replies 46 participants last post by  Vwguy026 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Gang,

Just picked my car up from service as they had it all day working on a laundry list of little things. A few points I thought you all might want to know.

Windows - They've been discussed on these and other forums. VW told my dealer it's a known issue but they don't have a solution yet.

Wind Noise - Another known issue with no solution yet.

Back passenger seat - Mine is hit or miss on if it will fold down at any given time. He tried the other one on the lot and it did the exact same thing. He's waiting to hear back from VW on that one.

Also, just fyi if you want to buy that armrest...they're dealer to dealer, not from a parts warehouse, so they have to get another dealer to give theirs up. Or they have to order it with international freight right from the Mexico plant.

I think that's it. They said they fixed my bad speaker, but didn't :(

#33 ·
Hilarious

So the service writer tells me yesterday that changing the wheel bearing did not fix the grinding. He contacted VW, and they have dispatched a "field engineer" to come by the dealership "soon" and examine it.

Shoulda bought the Golf. . . . :banghead:

#39 · (Edited)
Fixed!

So after keeping my bug for a week, the dealership brought in a VW engineer who identified the problem and had it fixed in roughly 2 hours from diagnosis to repair. A power steering line was routed too close to the frame. Apparently, it was what was making the rubbing sound because it was vibrating against the frame. The way they explained it to me, it wouldn't vibrate just when turning, only under load, because the resistance against the pump is greater under load and would cause vibration. They re-routed the line, and no more sound when I turn.

I still miss the Golf, though. . . . :banghead:

#41 ·
Locked In!

You guys are going to love this one.
Twice now I have been temporarily locked IN my Beetle. :screwy:
I turn off the engine, remove the key, go to open the door, and find it is still locked. The switch on the door will not over-ride it. I have to restart car, open door, then shut off. Definitely not good should an accident occur.
Anyone else with this problem?

#43 ·
I had my fuel gauge issue fixed for a little bit, they replaced the fuel pump sensor...but now it's doing it again. Obviously something else...gonna wait awhile before taking it back because I know I'll just get blank stares. Not a huge issue, just doesn't allow me to fill up all the way

#45 ·
I was wondering if you had your fuel gauge fixed again. Mine just started doing it last night when I filled up. Still haven't gotten the registration for the car yet. So I will have to go to the dealer soon anyway. Though I've only had it two weeks, I live in New Jersey so I'm used to things taking forever when it come the DMV. Also,
The dreaded window issue has also begun happening. Other then these two issues, I really like this car. It's fun to drive and IT IS an attention grabber.

#50 ·
You are correct on the ECU flash. I declined it for now but will probably do it when the parts for my windows come in.

APR will re-flash their programs back in for free. I believe that if you have the additional program to set back to stock it will reflect the current VW ECU flash.

#52 ·
I had the window issue where the windows would not go up with my Beetle but it has since been fixed. it's funny though cause I had the same problem with my 98 beetle and I get a brand new beetle and have the same problem. Its like I am being haunted :p LOL My fuel gauge also reads incorrectly at times after fill up.

#53 ·
Soo...I had taken it in for my 10k service a week or 2 ago and had them look at the window issue, they didn't say anything when I got the car back but it seemed to be fixed, until yesterday. The pinch protection always sends it back down twice, then the third time you have to hold the button down, normally until next time you start the car. But today, the auto feature still wasn't working. I also have been noticing I have to double-check to make sure the windows are all the way up, because when you open the door the windows go down a tiny bit. Lately, it hasn't been going back up when I close the door. So for about the 7th or 8th time now my car is in service. It's such a small issue, but I'm almost starting to get buyers remorse, it's just getting old. My 2010 Golf I traded in made in Germany had ZERO issues. Fix it already VW!!!!!!!

#54 ·
vDub,

The windows are now a "known issue" and there is a TSB for it. VW has made the replacement parts available. Have your service guy look it up.

Here's info taken from another thread:

A C/S Drivers window does not respond to switch at times SOP
Cause: F

R 64540199
417 WVW 0.10
1 5CO-957-821 GEAR

70591900 Front Door Trim Panel Remove and Reinstall
417 WVW 0.40

64541950 WINDOW MOTOR REIMOVE +REINSTALL
417 WVW 0.10

R 64531599
417 WVW 0.40

I printed that out and took it into my dealer who confirmed it and ordered the parts.

#58 ·
Just picked up my Beetle last night. Had the window on the passenger side go down after going up about 1/2 way or so. I hope the seals are just stiff. It goes in for tint next week, H&R springs when I can sneak them past the wife. Love the car, have to get used to the turbo lag, only 20 miles so it needs to get broken in. Silver on black/blue int. sun sound nav w/dsg. The flappy paddles are a joke.

#59 ·
Completely unsurprisingly to me at this point, my car is back in service for the umpteenth time. Same fuel issue again. They had already replaced the part and for the past month or two it was working fine, but now isn't showing "Full" when I fill up/try to top off.

They also got the window regulator motors in and will replace those, so I'll see if that solves that issue too.

#63 ·
I've noticed a different issue related to the water one...if its recently rained (or you wash your car) and open the trunk, water gets on the rear seat. Is that happening to anyone else?

Also, my armrest isn't "locking" in place like it should and seems real loose and just hangs facing downward. If I put my weight on it, it makes a loud snapping noise and pops back up into place.

#64 ·
I have had it with these windows. Now the damn thing won't go up 1/3 of the time when I close the door if I had the window all the way down previously and it does that won't auto up crap. I have to get in and out of the car, fighting with the window until finally it will close. Guess I can't wait anymore to take it in.

#65 ·
My driver's side window only does that 'half-way up' before 'going back down' once in a week or
so but I can hear a rubbing sound when it heads upward and am going in to the service department tmorrow morning. If it is determined that the glass is coming in contact (rubbing) with something on
the side of the glass, I should know tomorrow. Clear silicone sprayed down into the 'well' area did
end the rubbing sound but only temporarily. Bill offered to get me a good price on a '144' Gross
supply of the silicone spray cans to get me through until winter but the fact he's got a family
member in the silicone business had me a bit uncomfortable with going this route.

#70 ·
Went in for my service appointment at 7 A.M. and was out by 8:30 A.M.. They removed
the driver's side door panel and lubricated the window regulator. So far, so good, since
my numerous attempts to get the 'pinch' regulator to falter have been thwarted by the
famous VW Lube......I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.