VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Known issues with the new Beetle

21K views 143 replies 46 participants last post by  Vwguy026 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Gang,

Just picked my car up from service as they had it all day working on a laundry list of little things. A few points I thought you all might want to know.

Windows - They've been discussed on these and other forums. VW told my dealer it's a known issue but they don't have a solution yet.

Wind Noise - Another known issue with no solution yet.

Back passenger seat - Mine is hit or miss on if it will fold down at any given time. He tried the other one on the lot and it did the exact same thing. He's waiting to hear back from VW on that one.

Also, just fyi if you want to buy that armrest...they're dealer to dealer, not from a parts warehouse, so they have to get another dealer to give theirs up. Or they have to order it with international freight right from the Mexico plant.

I think that's it. They said they fixed my bad speaker, but didn't :(

#71 ·
These darn windows....

I picked up my registration today for my 2012 Bug. I'll have her a month on Monday. :) Whlile I was there they did the compimentary check up on her. The issue with the window occured again rite before I got there and I left the window open with that slight gap that it has when opening the doors. I should also add that this was the second time I told them about this problem. The first time, the manager told me to reset the window with the switch, holding down for five seconds up and down.

Before she went in I told the service manager about the window issue. An hour later, he comes into the waiting area and says I'm all ready. I get out to the car and see that the window is all the way up and the car is locked, as I would expect. Now on my part I didnt' check until I was home,:facepalm: but the darn window issue is still there. That tells me they didn't even look at it they have no clue what to do. What should my next move be. Should I just call VOA, or should I take it back and make them take the door apart and see what the problem is.

#72 ·
I picked up my registration today for my 2012 Bug. I'll have her a month on Monday. :) Whlile I was there they did the compimentary check up on her. The issue with the window occured again rite before I got there and I left the window open with that slight gap that it has when opening the doors. I should also add that this was the second time I told them about this problem. The first time, the manager told me to reset the window with the switch, holding down for five seconds up and down.

Before she went in I told the service manager about the window issue. An hour later, he comes into the waiting area and says I'm all ready. I get out to the car and see that the window is all the way up and the car is locked, as I would expect. Now on my part I didnt' check until I was home,:facepalm: but the darn window issue is still there. That tells me they didn't even look at it they have no clue what to do. What should my next move be. Should I just call VOA, or should I take it back and make them take the door apart and see what the problem is.
When I went into Bay Ridge Motors Service Dep't. in Brooklyn they removed the door panel
and lubricated the window regulator according to the documentation I was given. They may
also have tightened up items in the inner door area but all I know is that the window is no
longer showing the sensitivity issue it had before. It now continues to work properly.

#74 ·
Question regarding 87/93 octane fuel...when I went in to get my fuel sensor fixed again, they drained my 93 out to replace the part and put 87 back in. I noticed on the way home it didn't have that punch it usually has and felt extremely sluggish. They were suppose to fill the entire tank back up but only filled it up just above the empty mark (inbetween empty and 1/4th) After I used that up completely I put 93 back in and the engine seems to work like normal. But I'm wondering will 87 actually hurt it? They were suppose to fill it back up so I was debating if it was worth having them do that or not...

#75 ·
But I'm wondering will 87 actually hurt it?
A lower octane fuel can have the tendency to ignite prematurely which is called knocking or detonation. This can cause many different issues as your pistons and valves will not be at the right positions for the proper engine rotation.

Personally I can't believe that they put 87 back into it when the manual specifically states to use Premium.

#78 ·
Moody,

Do you have 2.5 or a Turbo?

I know with the Turbo's it specifically states to use Premium fuel but I can't speak to the 2.5 as I don't have one.

That being said, if yours is a Turbo and they're telling you to use 87 they should be punched in the face. :D

#80 ·
I'm sorry to hear you guys are having so many issues with the 2012 Beetle. Other than the windows issue (which has since been resolved) I really haven't had any issues w/the car. This is the 3rd new generation Beetle I have purchased ('98, '06, 2012). The '06 also had window issues.

Also, I have not had any issues with the wind noise. Do you think this could be a Launch Edition or Turbo thing?

#81 ·
My issues are all minor. The plastic over the instrument panel is still squeaking. A piece of paper shoved in the corner fixed that until I can give up my car for a day for them to also fix the windows. The screen for the sunroof is also stuck in the open position. The fabric is caught up on the track and won't slide. I'd take this minor crap over having something majorly wrong with the actual running/driving of the car.

#83 ·
Multiple issues after only 3 days of ownership

I picked my car up last Saturday and started having the window issue on the drive home. (For katie78, I've found that if I raise the window without engaging one-touch, and if I actually stop pulling myself after I've raised it a couple of inches (as opposed to waiting for the window to hiccup on its own), I'm able to get the window up in increments almost all of the time.) The next day an awful rattle in the back hatch started, then a rattle in the front end when I went over bumps, and finally the thing where the windows don't close when you exit the car and close the door. The next day I couldn't get my rear hatch opened even though I heard the mechanism unlatch when I used the fob, and then I couldn't lock the car for several tries and the horn stopped sounding when I finally did.

The dealer ordered the part for the drivers window craziness and told me that the issues I was having with the windows, the locking, the rear hatch latching, and the rear rattle were all due to the back hatch not being completely closed. I had been closing it, but they told me I had to really close it hard. If it's true it's an obvious quirk, but at least it resolved those issues.

The noise in the front end is still outstanding. It's also the most troublesome issue to me. Hopefully we can get it fixed. I'll post when we do.

#84 ·
Forgot!

I'm also having an issue similar to others' with the gas gauge. Though I can fill up it goes to 1/16th tank very quickly. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now (have only put gas in once). I think one thing to consider is that the gas gauge is huge (which I love) so the needle moves noticeably when the gauge is down 1/16th tank or even less. Considering that the tank is only 14.5 gallons you would see the gauge move after a very few miles. I know some people are experiencing an inability to fill up at all so this doesn't apply to everyone, but I thought it was worth putting out there.

My gas mileage seems to be pretty dismal. Tracking it since my last fill-up.

All that said I truly dig this car. I like it more every day.

#90 ·
I'm also having an issue similar to others' with the gas gauge. Though I can fill up it goes to 1/16th tank very quickly. I'm just keeping an eye on it for now (have only put gas in once). I think one thing to consider is that the gas gauge is huge (which I love) so the needle moves noticeably when the gauge is down 1/16th tank or even less. Considering that the tank is only 14.5 gallons you would see the gauge move after a very few miles. I know some people are experiencing an inability to fill up at all so this doesn't apply to everyone, but I thought it was worth putting out there.

My gas mileage seems to be pretty dismal. Tracking it since my last fill-up.

All that said I truly dig this car. I like it more every day.
I've had the same issue with the fuel gauge- but not every time. I've filled up 5 times, and 3 0f 5 times it happened.
My mileage is similar to my '09 NB.
I truly DIG this car! Quirks and all!

#85 ·
locking, the rear hatch latching, and the rear rattle were all due to the back hatch not being completely closed. I had been closing it, but they told me I had to really close it hard. If it's true it's an obvious quirk, but at least it resolved those issues.
Hi Mike,
I just wanted to give another data point, and maybe it is just our cars and not all, but I was also having an issue with the locking. I was confused, because I've never had a vehicle with remote entry / remote locks / alarm before, but I noticed that sometimes it would beep when I locked it remotely, and sometimes not. Turns out it was because it thought the hatch was not closed completely. And indeed, it wasn't really, it was closed enough not to open, but there was play in it. If I am sure to close it hard, then there is no play in the hatch, and the car recognizes it as being completely closed. I just went and experimented with this. It is definitely possible to close the hatch enough that it seems closed, and won't open, but is not _completely_ closed. If the light in the trunk does not go off as soon as the hatch is closed, then it is not completely closed, and will not beep when locked. I do wonder too, if this is the source of some peoples' rattles. If this starts to be a pain, or if it gets worse (ie needs ever increasing amounts of force to close fully), then I will bring it to the dealers' attention. Otherwise, I plan on just trying to be mindful of completely closing the hatch.

I have experienced twice the window issue. For the moment, I'm ok with it, but if it happens more often, I will take it to the dealer for that too. Or maybe I will mention it to them when I have my courtesy check next month (only had the car 2 weeks).

Despite having some concerns (this is my virst VW), I really dig the car so far! It handles quite nicely, and has good pep when you want it. Also, I got ~31 mpg on my first tank, which I'm pretty pleased with, though I think I can do better. It is so difficult not to step on the gas, knowing that turbo is there... ;)

GTarr

#87 ·
Closing Your Beetle's Trunk

Most people do not know how to correctly close the rear trunk lid in a new generation Beetle. Stand directly behind the trunk. There is a recess on the inside of the lower edge of the door. Place your fingers in the recess (fingers are toward you in a somewhat cup shape, gripping the edge of the recess with your fingertips). With a swift motion while still gripping the recess, bring your hand (and trunk lid) downward. As you get about half-way down, pull your hand out of the way and toward yourself. The momentum will continue the close motion and lock the trunk. This is explained (no so well) on page 46 of the Owner's Manual.

Pushing the trunk lid with your hands on the outside is not so good and gets fingerprints all over the trunk. Also never grasp the edge of the trunk lid with your hand. I had a friend who smashed his finger that way.

#93 ·
we got our candy white turbo luanch edition from automax in killeen and have taken it in 2 times now for the AC kicking off ,,the front bumper was misaligned and had to get it refitted and repainted, our passenger side seat the adjuster keeps sliping so when you sit inside the seat leans back by itself, also the passenger side seat is a pain in the ass to flip forward and then push back it gets stuck on the track, we also had the bad rattling going on in the rear hatch they added foam to it, a few weeks ago we heard whining high pitch ferquency sound coming from under the hood but they couldnt figure it out said they reset the computer , got about 13k miles on it after my little road trip here i just did , and it was hell days driving back thru arkansas and texas no AC at all it just would not kick on ;( , car goes back to the shop on friday to get the rood repainted the clear coated is completely peeling up in the rain trays of the roof ;(

#98 ·
Posting here as well, but the beetle has been in the shop since the 8th of this month for the AC issue and they still havent figured it out, they called the hubby and told him they have to do a overlay basically putting in a wire to the harness to see if this solves the issue, pretty strange in my opinion ;(

#99 ·
I'd call VWoA and ask if they can float you a payment. They are normally really good at giving Visa gift cards or making a car payment.

Update:

Passenger mirror glass shattered (Half my fault), drivers window is still acting up after two fixes (On backorder list for all new parts), drivers side window switch trim replaced, and I have adhesive on the trim above the speedo.

#102 ·
:confused:I have a 2012 red turbo that had the paint peeling, it has been at the dealer for 4 weeks today. They are now waiting on the part to fix the window. Also on my first road trip from Illinois to Colorado had to have the throttle body harness replaced. Two dealerships in Colorado and two wasted vacation days. I've owned the car 5 months and more than one of those months it has been in the shop. Really disappointed in the quality of the car.

#105 ·
So I've been suffering through the windows issue just because I do like the car a lot and I'm sure they'll eventually fix it. The last two days I tried something that I used to have to do on my ex's Nissan. I just hold the button up for one full second and then let go. Works every time, at least for the last two days, where as before my window would hardly ever work. Just thought it might be a decent tip for anyone who is frustrated with it.

#107 ·
So I've been suffering through the windows issue just because I do like the car a lot and I'm sure they'll eventually fix it.
In my mind the window issue is a minor one, (annoying) but minor. I have had my gears/motors replaced and that seemed to correct the problem for the most part. On occasion it still has issues, but expect over time it will correct itself as it breaks-in. Had the exact same issue w/my 2006 New Beetle and it eventually corrected itself.

Though I can live with this minor annoyance, that is really my only complaint w/the car. I love it! If I had to deal with paint peeling/all of the noises I hear reported/other mechanical issues, I would consider returning it. I can not conclude all of the 2012 Beetles are a POS, but I feel for those who are experiencing so many issues with a car they should be enjoying.

It looks like VW needs to work on their quality control.

#110 ·
Two contributions to previous posts:

1. The 2.5 runs just fine on 87 octane, and running premium has no benefit to this engine. The 2.0 Turbo is designed to run on 91 octane or higher. It will run on 87 without causing damage to the car, as the variable timing will retard the spark. The detriment here is poor performance and reduced efficiency. If you put 87 in to save money, you're getting fewer mpg and therefor spending as much, if not more in fuel costs over time.

2. The clicking sounds you hear when the car is off after a drive is the hot metal bits cooling rapidly. All internal combustion engines will make these sounds, particularly from the exhaust, radiator, and brake areas, as they are the hottest. Totally normal. The metal is simply contracting as it cools, clicking and pinging as it changes shape.

As for issues with the Beetle, I've got the upsy-downzy windows and a bad door speaker. No big deal, IMO. If this is your first VW, get used to quirky little issues, knowing that VW will take good care of you if you're patient and communicate with them about the problems you're having.

#113 ·
I sat in the backseat of one at the dealership and as I was getting out of the car I pulled on the leather strap and it ripped off. I only weigh 145# and I wasn't pulling hard

#120 ·
Fast forward to July 14, 2012 and still no fix for the window problem. I contacted Volkswagen Customer Care to see if they were aware of the window problem and they said they are woking on a solution and hope to have it soon. In the meantime, they offered to make my first months car payment which I graciously accepted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.