VWVortex.com - What did you do to your cabby today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116
    Results 2,876 to 2,894 of 2894

Thread: What did you do to your cabby today?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Subaru Legacy L, 1992 VW Cabriolet 2.0 liter swap
      03-19-2017 03:12 AM #2876
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
      Installed new tail lights and smoked side markers today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I've been wondering how those side markers would look, my cabbys black with the clipper kit too and this just sealed the deal, I know what my next mod is. Do you just put colored bulbs behind them?

Vehicles
      91' Jetta 8v's of fury, 91' Triple black Cabriolet
      03-19-2017 04:11 AM #2877
      Quote Originally Posted by Thane.of.my.existence View Post
      I've been wondering how those side markers would look, my cabbys black with the clipper kit too and this just sealed the deal, I know what my next mod is. Do you just put colored bulbs behind them?

Yes, led bulbs. B9AS bulbs. Got a set of 4 on eBay for $77 shipped.

http://pnwfahren.com/
      My car http://forums.pnwfahren.com/showthre...ver-MKII-Jetta
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Knipl View Post
      In Africa a boy kills a lion to prove he is a man. All we have is the heater core replacement. Once you've done it you have crossed over.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Subaru Legacy L, 1992 VW Cabriolet 2.0 liter swap
      03-19-2017 04:12 AM #2878
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
      Yes, led bulbs. B9AS bulbs. Got a set of 4 on eBay for $77 shipped.

Awesome, I'm definitely gonna look into that

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      03-19-2017 07:37 AM #2879
      I definitely like that look on the black. They are still too large, IMO. (I know, safety and visibility...) I made some backing plates and used some LED marker lights from Grote on the wife's 87. I used some stainless hardware to bolt them on, then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      88 vw Cabriolet Azur...2000 GLS 1.8T Beetle
      03-19-2017 12:57 PM #2880
      Drove My "Dirty Girl" with her top down

88 Cabby... Azur, 2.0 16v, Rikens Turbos, Koni Coilovers
      2000 Beetle 1.8T GLS

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '85 Cabriolet, '88 Cabriolet, '15 Golf LE
      03-19-2017 05:40 PM #2881
      I went with clears on mine. BA9S LEDs from SuperBirghtLEDs with a 120 degree beam angle I believe. Only $25 for very LED on the car(I bought dash and plate lights at the same time) Really want to find a badgeless quad round setup. The company I bought the clears from offered a smoked as well. They were from/for a g wagon $90 for all 4, but you'd swear they were an OEM part!

Then:

Now: I'll take pics with the lights on, I can't find them now. I had Fifft clear tails but wasn't a fan will be buying some Fifft smokes.

I scored a pair of clipper bumpers for my green one, does anyone have pics of a car with just clipper kit bumpers and what it took to mount/modify them. I don't want to run the side skirts and flares. That way when I paint there's less to paint and worry about mismatching lol.

Alternator quit charging 100% time for a new one. What is the autozone part number for the one with only the 2 mounting bolt locations not the third. I can take a pic of what I mean. I also need the one with studs rather than the plug.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 03:17 AM #2882
      Top installs suck. Let's just leave it at that. Need to re stretch the leading edge. The glue didn't quite tack up enough so it lifted in the center. The rear edge is offcenter by a couple mm. Think that happened tightening down. Just have to glue the rear window side seals and the little cover plates then it's done. I'm pleased. First and last time I ever do a top lol. It's just a pita.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      03-20-2017 08:51 AM #2883
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      Top installs suck. Let's just leave it at that. First and last time I ever do a top lol. It's just a pita.
      Now Now,,,, Cabriolets are more funner than '69 Super Beetles Vert's". Wait till you own it long enough, you'll do it over and over and over....

In my how do I do that.... I do think I say let the Glue tack... and make sure your rear is centered, but it don't look bad for a first timer.....

Be Thankful that there are pictorial out there, as the original Forrest King doc, left a lot of things out, and no hints or tricks.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Another Useless Ground Thread
      HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FAQ's ABOVE..PAGE 3 Thread 75? Why bother no one else does.
      You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make them click.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 10:32 AM #2884
      Finally got the underside of the hood cleaned.

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FAQ's ABOVE..PAGE 3 Thread 75? Why bother no one else does.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 11:33 AM #2885
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Now Now,,,, Cabriolets are more funner than '69 Super Beetles Vert's". Wait till you own it long enough, you'll do it over and over and over....

In my how do I do that.... I do think I say let the Glue tack... and make sure your rear is centered, but it don't look bad for a first timer.....

Be Thankful that there are pictorial out there, as the original Forrest King doc, left a lot of things out, and no hints or tricks.
      I don't think we looked for the top guide anywhere during the install other than if we should trim the excess fabric on the rear! It actually went on pretty easily after carefully extracting the older top. Just kind of did it in reverse! My friends' dad was helping and he was a former body shop guy so he had a couple tips/tricks. I think what happened with the leading edge was when we did a test for before we installed the plates, only the glue in place, and it shifted. It's not bad, but I bet it's a noisemaker! (It's better than the one on my '85 lol.) The glue dried overnight we'll see how it looks in a bit! I think the fact that it was a clotchctop not vinyl helped us out immensely. Also not having to do a rear window.

I used the MGMT side and top cables. Two snags I ran into. The side cable holes hard a sharp edge and tore the sheath. So we put some vaccum tubing in the hole, seemed to solve that.

The rear cable didn't want to work with us at first so that's what I think forced the top to be off center. We had two guys adjusting and 2 tightening. A racheting wrench is a must or you're hosed!
      Last edited by Blade3562; 03-20-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 01:34 PM #2886
      Everything I almost know about vert tops are here.
      http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/...7bb043cdb904ea

If you would of asked prior, or googled... MY HOW-TOS are usually at the top 2 or 3 of a search... one is at VWOC, the other is Cabby-info...:0

Wait... www.cabby-info.com.....

There is the hardway, the harder way, or step by step...

http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/...hp?f=41&t=2224 Started in 2008, last udate was 2016....

Or page 3 of the faq's here, post 75.....

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 01:39 PM #2887
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      The rear cable didn't want to work with us at first so that's what I think forced the top to be off center. We had two guys adjusting and 2 tightening. A racheting wrench is a must or you're hosed!
      An articulating Ratchet combo wrench, 10 or 11 mm nuts vary....

I can do a top in about 4-5 hours if it is just the outer skin on a top that I have replaced, and made all the adjustments prior.
      I do the rear by myself, only takes about 30 minutes my way but then I have done a few of them....

Vinyls are easier than cloth....
      because vinyls stretch easier, but 2 must have tools, Speed wrenches, and a heated space @ 80 degrees is really good.

I even tell you how to make your side cables and have improved them so they don't break.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 02:48 PM #2888
      An articulating Ratchet combo wrench, 10 or 11 mm nuts vary....

I can do a top in about 4-5 hours if it is just the outer skin on a top that I have replaced, and made all the adjustments prior.
      I do the rear by myself, only takes about 30 minutes my way but then I have done a few of them....

Vinyls are easier than cloth....
      because vinyls stretch easier, but 2 must have tools, Speed wrenches, and a heated space @ 80 degrees is really good.

I even tell you how to make your side cables and have improved them so they don't break.
      Ok I lied I used your guide for the sidecables. Used the 2x4 method. Must have remembered that from when I read through several guides back in June/July or when I messaged you about side cables haha. The issue wasn't the cable breaking but rather the frame where the cable snakes through. The old cable must have cut/ground the hole during use at some point. That sharp ridge caught the sheath tore it.

All in all it took about 10-12 hours remove and install. Adjusted the front edge. Couple things need sorted (right front corner doesn't pease me with how it lays) and the rear "c pillar" section has a fold/sag on both sides. Not sure why/how. Maybe heat will stretch and eliminate that? Not really happy with how the little cover pieces fit, but they never fit right for some reason lol I wish rock auto sold a vinyl with sewn in plastic window I'd replace the one on my green car. It's totally worth the hassle.

I'll probably have to restretch the sides after a few weeks they are kind of curling back once the top is locked in place.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 04:46 PM #2889
      It lives! Just needs the exhaust fixed but I'm ready for water by the bridge!

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet Wolfsburg edition
      03-23-2017 08:53 PM #2890
      Well today is my birthday.
      For my birthday...

I got her running! Heck yea! She has a mean sounding racing exhaust.

Vehicles
      01 mk4 golf 1.8t, 03 gli 24v vr, 08 bunny, 87 cabriolet, and a 2002 kawasaki 636 zx6r ninja
      03-24-2017 05:35 PM #2891
      bought another one and im so happy i did
      if your ganna be dumb you gatta be tough lol

tight is tight, to tight is broken

Vehicles
      03-24-2017 05:46 PM #2892
      Quote Originally Posted by TravisTheD View Post
      bought another one and im so happy i did
      Your sick, Sick, Sick, SICK.... wait I own 2 myself.... Make room in the Psycho Ward were Dub crazy....

Well I just finished 3 days of waxing mine. 3000 wet/dry to remove the old wax. 6000 wet/dry to clean the clear coat, then polish the clear, wax it with a cleaner/wax, and finally a Carnuba.......... so all that is left is to clean the undercarriage, the Carpets, and Polish the Wheels...... Spring cleaning isn't just for houses.... Finished the Wax in time for Pollen Season in the South.....

Drove it topless for a bit, CCW on the RADIO blaring.... a good ending to a 3 day wax.

Vehicles
      01 mk4 golf 1.8t, 03 gli 24v vr, 08 bunny, 87 cabriolet, and a 2002 kawasaki 636 zx6r ninja
      03-25-2017 07:29 AM #2893
      Your sick, Sick, Sick, SICK.... wait I own 2 myself.... Make room in the Psycho Ward were Dub crazy....

Well I just finished 3 days of waxing mine. 3000 wet/dry to remove the old wax. 6000 wet/dry to clean the clear coat, then polish the clear, wax it with a cleaner/wax, and finally a Carnuba.......... so all that is left is to clean the undercarriage, the Carpets, and Polish the Wheels...... Spring cleaning isn't just for houses.... Finished the Wax in time for Pollen Season in the South.....

Drove it topless for a bit, CCW on the RADIO blaring.... a good ending to a 3 day wax.
      lol u remember my old one it was a 92 and my username was mk3jetta-kid me and u talked alot many moons ago when i had that one "did you check or replace your grounds" i learned a good amount from the convos we had i think there still in my inbox lol
      if your ganna be dumb you gatta be tough lol

tight is tight, to tight is broken

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      03-25-2017 09:20 AM #2894
      Nothing wrong with multiple cabbies! I have an 82 Rabbit 'vert languishing in the garage in project limbo. The wife has an 87 cabby that runs and drives, but still needs some love. We've thinned the fleet as I sold my mk2 last fall, and got out of my mk3 daily about 3 years ago, but my wife still drives a mk5 GTI daily. It's in the blood!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE

Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116