VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

DIY: mk6 Jetta/GLI mirror cap removal guide

58K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  Ministeroffresh 
#1 · (Edited)
This was done on a MY2012 GLI. Your vehicle may be slightly different.

Tools required:
t10 torx bit screw driver
small electronics flat head screwdriver

Estimated time to completion:
10 minutes per cap

First push back the mirror to give yourself more room to work with.

From there, you're going to use your fingers to pry the mirror free. Just be gentle and work your hands around the mirror and you'll get it.

Once out, be careful of the two connecting wires to the mirror (this might only be on vehicles with a heated mirror option).

These two cables slide right off so you can place the mirror on the ground.

Get your torx screwdriver and get these two screws. These are the only screws you'll have to remove.

There are two tabs here that need to be released to get the inside assembly out.

I used a small flathead screwdriver to depress the tabs and pull them out.

This is what the tabs look like from the rear.

Once the tabs are free, use your fingers to pull forward at this spot. The inner assembly should come out. Be mindful of the small, clear plastic blinker light on the inside of the assembly. If you pull too hard or pull when the tabs are not out, you could break it.

The cap should be a bit loose now.

Slide it forward and it will come free.

This is the mirror cap from the rear.

Repeat the steps in reverse order to get everything reinstalled.

See less See more
#28 ·
Okay- figured it out after some more Youtubing. The trick is not to use your fingers and crush them in the gap, but instead use a bar to pry away the mirror from its clip. I used two trim removal pry bars to gently pop the mirror out of its snug fit and work them like tire levers on a bicycle tire to gradually work my way round.

#30 ·
#35 ·
Sorry to revive this thread but does anyone know if I buy the GLI/GTI mirror surrounding plastic cover, will it work to replace my regular Jetta ones? I like the pointy mirrors better and plus I'm able to actually use my OEM aspherical mirror then :) I've seen videos and some pictures of the mirror covers completely off and the interior mechanism looks identical, to me it seems like a matter of replacing the plastics and the glass once you're done :)

#37 ·
The whistling is from the lip of the black plastic mirror cap to the painted mirror piece. There is a diy on how to fill it with silicone to eliminate the whistle, it's been known for several years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.