Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Using Seafoam in 2.0t FSI a good or bad idea?

    1. 01-06-2012 07:00 PM #1
      I have about 94,xxx on my engine and wanted give it a little more life back by cleaning some crap out which is a common issue for this engine and was thinking about adding some seafoam. Ive heard its not a good idea to use in newer engines and whatnot but checking to see if anyoje has used it here

    2. 01-06-2012 07:03 PM #2
      sorry it doesnt work.

      you need to manually clean the intake valves by hand. Herd its 8 hr job. I will be doing that this weekend. search intake valve cleaning fsi diy
      should bring up some threads

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,683
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      01-06-2012 07:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by carfanguy View Post
      I have about 94,xxx on my engine and wanted give it a little more life back by cleaning some crap out which is a common issue for this engine and was thinking about adding some seafoam. Ive heard its not a good idea to use in newer engines and whatnot but checking to see if anyoje has used it here
      Several people have used Seafoam on the FSI to try cleaning up the known intake valve buildup gunk, but there is a lot of debate as to whether or not it is effective. I think the process is something like removing the intake air temp sensor and using a needle to let the airflow pull the Seafoam out of the can and atomize it. Most guys usually change their oil afterwards as well. Honestly, the best way to get the gunk cleaned out is to remove the intake manifold and scrub the valves by hand.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2010
      Location
      Danvers, MA
      Posts
      471
      Vehicles
      03 VW Golf(sold), 05 Jetta(sold), 09 Audi A3
      01-06-2012 08:13 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Several people have used Seafoam on the FSI to try cleaning up the known intake valve buildup gunk, but there is a lot of debate as to whether or not it is effective. I think the process is something like removing the intake air temp sensor and using a needle to let the airflow pull the Seafoam out of the can and atomize it. Most guys usually change their oil afterwards as well. Honestly, the best way to get the gunk cleaned out is to remove the intake manifold and scrub the valves by hand.
      I used seafoam after I manualy cleaned the valves. After the cleaning you may have little pieces here and there and rough idling. Seafoam helped to get rid of them. If you see what's inside the valves you will understand that cannot be cleaned just by spraying it.

    5. 01-06-2012 09:29 PM #5
      seafoam does help. we use it in the shop as the cheap way to clean. given it wont take everything away but helps. at the dealership we use for the extensive clean its BG 3 can process, one in the tank, other atomize it on the intake and the other disconnect the line from the fuel rail and hook up the machine right to it and let the car idle till its all gone. takes like 5 min to use it all. i always try to push for that and taking off the intake manifold and do it after wards. 1.3 hrs to take it off and clean everything then another 1.3 to install.

    6. Member vwlippy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2001
      Location
      Philly burbs, PA
      Posts
      3,982
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T, 2004 VW Jetta GLi
      01-06-2012 11:51 PM #6
      I used it. Hard to say if it helped, but it didn't hurt it either.

    7. 01-07-2012 01:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta8vwolfsburg View Post
      seafoam does help. we use it in the shop as the cheap way to clean. given it wont take everything away but helps. at the dealership we use for the extensive clean its BG 3 can process, one in the tank, other atomize it on the intake and the other disconnect the line from the fuel rail and hook up the machine right to it and let the car idle till its all gone. takes like 5 min to use it all. i always try to push for that and taking off the intake manifold and do it after wards. 1.3 hrs to take it off and clean everything then another 1.3 to install.
      I don't think the BG treatment works at all for DI engines. But I am not a tech!

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,683
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      01-07-2012 02:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      I don't think the BG treatment works at all for DI engines. But I am not a tech!
      I think the BG induction cleaner works better than seafoam would on the valves, but yeah, obviously putting anything in the fuel system won't do jack for the valves in a DI engine.

    9. 01-07-2012 02:16 PM #9
      It doesn't hurt.... I was consistent about seafoam and would use it every other oil change. Good to find exhaust leaks which I did. I ran a full can through a full gas tank another half can through the crank case and the other half through the IAT sensor. I ran it through the crank case for about a 100 miles or so than did the IAT sensor and changed my oil.

      Check out my recent thread and decide if it did much for me.

      I think I'm still going to use it after my recent cleaning like Evo V did.

    10. 01-07-2012 03:30 PM #10
      When I cleaned my valves manually I used Seafoam as the solvent. Even when I soaked them it did no better that scrapping it using nothing. There is no way injecting this through the manifold with the car running is going to do a damn thing except make your wallet lighter.

    11. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2010
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      37
      01-07-2012 05:14 PM #11
      We too use it as a cheap option at the dealership. Although it does not replace manually cleaning the intake valves, I believe it helps to prolong the time between manually cleaning the valves. I remove the intake air temp and stick some vacuum hose in its place to suck up the fumes from the sea foam can, suck up about an 1/8th of the can at a time, revving the car in between. With the last 1/8 I shut the car off and let it sit for about 15 minutes then dog the hell out of the car until it stops smoking.

      People can argue how effective it is cleaning the intake valves, but I can say it is effective in reducing cold start misfire faults.

    12. 01-07-2012 07:23 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber-A3 View Post
      When I cleaned my valves manually I used Seafoam as the solvent. Even when I soaked them it did no better that scrapping it using nothing. There is no way injecting this through the manifold with the car running is going to do a damn thing except make your wallet lighter.

    13. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,413
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      01-08-2012 11:52 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber-A3 View Post
      When I cleaned my valves manually I used Seafoam as the solvent. Even when I soaked them it did no better that scrapping it using nothing. There is no way injecting this through the manifold with the car running is going to do a damn thing except make your wallet lighter.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    14. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fort Bonifacio, Makati
      Posts
      43
      Vehicles
      2007 A3
      01-13-2012 02:19 AM #14
      i say do it and post up da video cuz i need a laugh

    15. 01-14-2012 12:43 PM #15
      Is there any before and after pics or video of this or are people just jumping on the internet agree bandwagon before seeing real world results?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •