Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 Sedan - Replacing trunk support struts

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 3.6 VR6
      01-06-2012 10:15 PM #1
      I have this issue where the gas struts that support the trunk lid have worn out. The trunk lid itself has absolutely no support at all. I need to replace the struts.

My question is, exactly how difficult is this job? Have other people done this, did you run into any problems? What sort of tools are needed?

Vehicles
      06/Passat 2.0t FSi
      01-07-2012 01:33 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by UGPassatB6 View Post
      My question is, exactly how difficult is this job? Have other people done this, did you run into any problems? What sort of tools are needed?
      I think you will be spending most of the time removing the liner than actually replacing the struts. The struts are located horizontally behind the felt liner on either side of the trunk (by the grocery hooks). Removing them is easy. They are held on by clips. You will need a screw driver to move the clips and they snap on/off.

The OEM's are gas filled while the aftermarket ones are gas/hydraulic.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 3.6 VR6
      01-07-2012 03:34 PM #3
      Thanks for the information.

Vehicles
      06/Passat 2.0t FSi
      01-13-2012 09:34 PM #4
      Just finished replacing on my 2006 Passat. The trunk lift had almost died to the point where when it opened, it barely moved. Installation is straightforward.

1. Remove the trim on both sides of the trunk, including the bottom and the trim piece that goes over the latch on the bottom.

2. The trim is held by a bunch of screws and plastic clips (I was able to reuse them all).

3. one side of the strut is inside the body (under the rear panel). There is a slot on the side that you use to put in a screwdriver and push the pin. The strut then just falls down.

Took me a couple of hours to get everything done. One piece of advice, stick with the OE VW struts. They come from the factory with a lock that prevents the struts from opening all the way. Installing them becomes so much simpler, pull the pins a bit, slide them and push the pins back.

If you use aftermarket ones, they are much longer so unless you have a way of compressing them in the horizontal position, don't even bother. Also note that the plastic on both ends is very fragile and too much pressure will break those.

Here you see the OE (bottom) v/s aftermarket (top) ones.

Last edited by passatfan2006; 02-03-2012 at 09:40 AM.

5. 05-03-2012 06:00 AM #5
      hi, i am in the same position as you. I am trying to replace my trunk struts but I cant seem to get the trunk felt liner off correctly. I have taken all the screws and clips out but the bottom of the trunk, (where the latch/lock is) is still in place, restricting me to fully remove the felt.

have you any tips/instructions or maybe pictures on how to remove the felt liner?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-03-2012 05:14 PM #6
      I wouldnt mind doing mine as well. Although the OEM struts are expensive

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      05-03-2012 06:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by k114l3d View Post
      hi, i am in the same position as you. I am trying to replace my trunk struts but I cant seem to get the trunk felt liner off correctly. I have taken all the screws and clips out but the bottom of the trunk, (where the latch/lock is) is still in place, restricting me to fully remove the felt.

have you any tips/instructions or maybe pictures on how to remove the felt liner?

any help would be greatly appreciated
      there's screws in the little cavities that are on the liner as well as close all around. pretty simple stuff
      R135
      └┼┼┤ /B6 exSTATICo

8. 05-04-2012 06:33 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by fastD View Post
      there's screws in the little cavities that are on the liner as well as close all around. pretty simple stuff
      i have got the liner off, but the right hand strut is inside the body of the car, i cant seem to figure how to release it. any ideas??

here is an image of what i can see so far

Last edited by k114l3d; 05-04-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      05-07-2012 03:40 PM #9
      no dude sorry I have no idea
      R135
      └┼┼┤ /B6 exSTATICo

Vehicles
      06/Passat 2.0t FSi
      05-07-2012 07:53 PM #10
      If you are having trouble, first look at the part inside using a flashlight (led light since its more concentrated). You will see a clip (look at the new ones to get an idea). Now take a LONG flathead screwdriver and push it under the clip and the strut will fall down. You can also push the clip down from the side hole.

When replacing the strut, I actually pushed the screwdriver under the clip with a little amount of tension so that it would just open up, positioned it under the pin and released the screwdriver. Don't press too hard on the pin otherwise it will open up too wide rendering the clip mechanism useless.

Vehicles
      VW Passat B6 2006,Golf TDI 2013 Tech
      05-09-2012 09:44 AM #11
      How Many struts it has?
      One on the right and other on the left side?
      Thanks

12. 05-09-2012 11:16 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by miki2006 View Post
      How Many struts it has?
      One on the right and other on the left side?
      Thanks
      yeh 2 struts, 1 on left and 1 on right. i managed to get em out. just waiting for the parts now

Vehicles
      VW Passat B6 2006,Golf TDI 2013 Tech
      05-09-2012 10:18 PM #13
      yeh 2 struts, 1 on left and 1 on right. i managed to get em out. just waiting for the parts now
      Thanks a lot! i'm gonna get them next week from dealer, please let me know how ho do you go removing the trunk liner, tips are really appreciate

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-09-2012 11:38 PM #14
      Are all of the trunks supposed to spring open when you open it from the key? Mine just pops and I lift it up. When I do, it does stay up but just curious to see if it should open all the way or not. I have seen some that do, but it could have been a later model revision.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

15. 05-10-2012 06:29 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniorfeel View Post
      Are all of the trunks supposed to spring open when you open it from the key? Mine just pops and I lift it up. When I do, it does stay up but just curious to see if it should open all the way or not. I have seen some that do, but it could have been a later model revision.
      As far as i am aware, ALL passat b6 models should have the auto trunk feature. Maybe your gas struts have just lost effectiveness??

Did you buy the car brand new? If so, and they never worked, it may just be that your car doesnt do it?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-10-2012 07:47 AM #16
      As far as i am aware, ALL passat b6 models should have the auto trunk feature. Maybe your gas struts have just lost effectiveness??

Did you buy the car brand new? If so, and they never worked, it may just be that your car doesnt do it?
      I got it in 2011, it being a 2006 so it is very possible they could have pooped out. They still hold it open though so I don't Need to replace them, but I think I might because having the trunk fling open when I've got my hands full would be pretty nice.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

17. 05-12-2012 06:14 AM #17
      just to let you all know, i replaced the gas struts and my trunk now auto lifts simple fix

18. 10-20-2012 06:24 PM #18
      Hello:

I just completed this job... way better than paying for the dealership. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that even with OEM struts, you will need to compress them a little bit to fully install.

It is a major pain in the ass if you wait until they are halfway in, and it is way easier if you use a racheting luggage strap to compress the strut (while leaving the attaching piece exposed on both ends), then attach the end which seats inside the trunk cavity, and then attach the end which hooks up to the trunk lid itself. Close the trunk a bit, and the strap will fall right off.

Vehicles
      1993 Passat GLX, 2006 Passat 2.0T
      06-16-2014 11:10 AM #19
      Appoligies for the necro-bump, but this seemed to be the most thorough thread for the trunk struts. I did mine this weekend, and figured I'd add two helping cents. There's a indent in the trunk hinges that make compressing the new struts easy, just stick a big screw driver into it and lever the struts into place:

Other useful details, both the left (driver's side) and right (passenger's side) trunk liner on my 2006 base model had 3 clips each holding them to the top of the trunk, and a single clip behind the trim covering the catch for the trunk lock. The left surround had a single screw into the trunk floor, and the right surround had three screws into the trunk floor. The trim piece covering the trunk lock catch has two releases in the bottom of the trunk, and then 6x clips into the lip of the opening, 3 on either side of the catch. Finally, the light in the right trunk cubby should be pried down from the rear (it has a clip on this side).
      Last edited by MP3DUB; 06-16-2014 at 12:51 PM.
      -Nick