Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 23 of 23

    Thread: The Official Scotch Thread

    1. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,084
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      01-08-2012 12:42 PM #1
      So I know we got some scotch drinkers out there. What's in your collection, what's your go to for guests, your favorite new/of all time, and best value?

      I'm just getting started with some bottles, but from various tastings I've decided I like the Highland/Speyside more than the Islay drams (yeah yeah not man enough yet).

      The first whiskey I remember enjoying in a glass (other than slamming shots of Lord Calvert) was an Oban 14. Still a favorite. But more recently I was gifted:

      Highland Park 15 ($70ish a bottle)


      To be honest I was kind of disappointed. Further reading told me 12 is better bang for buck and the 18 is worth the extra coin.

      Glenmorangie Signet ($150 - 200)



      This is fantastic. Like drinking pecan pie in the form of whiskey. Prob over priced due to the LVMH label and fancy bottle but wouldn't stop me from buying another bottle.

      Glenlivet Nadurra ($60 ish)



      Bought this one myself as I heard good things. It's a nice light color and has a nice long finish that really lets you milk a glass.

      Jonnie Gold ($90ish)



      Bought this for myself after buying my brother a bottle of Blue as a gift (because we all know Blue is a rip off); and would drink it over the Blue if given a choice.

      So, what's in your cabinet?

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      4,539
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      01-09-2012 04:17 PM #2
      Damn son, you got fancy tastes. Nice choices, but a little pricey for daily consumption.

      I keep stocked:

      1. Johnnie Red - nice and smokey blend
      2. Dimple Pinch 15 - very smooth blend
      3. Glenlivet 12 - smooth single-malt and affordable as far as single-malts go
      4. Yamazake 12 - not technically Scotch, but the smoothest 12 year single malt whiskey I've ever had--the 18 year would be more in your price range

      I may also pickup Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Port finish, Highland Park anything is good...

    3. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,084
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      01-09-2012 05:55 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by smittyATL View Post
      Damn son, you got fancy tastes. Nice choices, but a little pricey for daily consumption.

      I keep stocked:

      1. Johnnie Red - nice and smokey blend
      2. Dimple Pinch 15 - very smooth blend
      3. Glenlivet 12 - smooth single-malt and affordable as far as single-malts go
      4. Yamazake 12 - not technically Scotch, but the smoothest 12 year single malt whiskey I've ever had--the 18 year would be more in your price range

      I may also pickup Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Port finish, Highland Park anything is good...
      I've seen the Glenlivet 12 and Dimple Pinch of the shelf, may have to pick up a bottle of each. I don't drink every night, and when I do I only have a finger or so, so I like to slowly enjoy it! (I'm otherwise very unfancy).

    4. Member Deserion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2000
      Location
      Jacksonville, FL
      Posts
      3,836
      Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      01-10-2012 11:02 AM #4
      I love Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. It's been a while since I've had either, but they pair very well with a handmade cigar.

      I only have bourbon in the cabinet right now, though I need to get around to replenishing the scotch.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      01-10-2012 11:59 AM #5
      Off the top of my head:

      2 bottles of Johnny Blue (1 a wedding gift, 1 a bday gift)
      8yr Speyburn Single ($30 bottle and surprisingly good)
      15yr Glenfiddich Single (got it on a cruise duty free)
      Hitori Yamazaki (Japanese double barrelled into a sherry cask)
      10yr Laiphroag Single
      Johnny Black
      Johnny Anniversary

      I actually need to restock soon as a couple of these are kinda low. I tend to gravitate towards Scotch in the winter and craft/good beer in the summer. I had a "perfect storm" a while back where I ended up finishing off 3 bottles in one night with a buddy. There was only about a glass or so left in each, so it really put a dent in the cabinet.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      01-10-2012 12:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      Bought this for myself after buying my brother a bottle of Blue as a gift (because we all know Blue is a rip off); and would drink it over the Blue if given a choice.
      Granted, Blue is very expensive and seems to be rising, but IMO, one of the smoothest Scotchs you can drink even though it's a blend.

    7. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,084
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      01-10-2012 11:05 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      Granted, Blue is very expensive and seems to be rising, but IMO, one of the smoothest Scotchs you can drink even though it's a blend.
      I would try that Glenmorangie posted above, IMO far better than the blue, still a blend, albeit less smokier so it depends on your tastes.

      The Blue wouldn't sell if it wasn't good, I just think it's more about conspicuous consumerism than anything else.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      01-10-2012 11:30 PM #8
      I like my Scotch dark and sweet, I've found ones from the Spey region tend to have this characteristic, which is why I like my cheapy $30 Speyburn.

      I did get to drink a 28yr Dalemore, and it was very tasty. Read about it here:

      http://newfoundfreetime.blogspot.com...d-whiskey.html

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      4,539
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      01-11-2012 09:42 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      Off the top of my head:

      2 bottles of Johnny Blue (1 a wedding gift, 1 a bday gift)
      8yr Speyburn Single ($30 bottle and surprisingly good)
      15yr Glenfiddich Single (got it on a cruise duty free)
      Hitori Yamazaki (Japanese double barrelled into a sherry cask)
      10yr Laiphroag Single
      Johnny Black
      Johnny Anniversary

      I actually need to restock soon as a couple of these are kinda low. I tend to gravitate towards Scotch in the winter and craft/good beer in the summer. I had a "perfect storm" a while back where I ended up finishing off 3 bottles in one night with a buddy. There was only about a glass or so left in each, so it really put a dent in the cabinet.
      I've received Johnnie Blue as a gift twice. Neither bottle made it to the next day.

      The bottle is quite attractive, but it makes a better drink than ornament.

    10. 01-11-2012 12:35 PM #10
      I'm a big fan of this stuff:


    11. Member ElixXxeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2005
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      6,904
      Vehicles
      2009 E90 M3
      01-11-2012 03:47 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      I'm a big fan of this stuff:

      I ordered this out once and really enjoyed it.

      I'm partial to single, Islay malts (except for Bowmore, which always disappoints) and I have these on my shelf right now:

      Arbeg Uigeadail (my absolute favorite)
      Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
      Lagavulin 16
      Auchentashen Three Wood
      Oban 14 (I've been to the distillery; pretty neat)
      Chivas Regal 18
      Johnny Walker Black
      Cutty Stark (awful)
      Yamazaki 12 (not Scotch, but quite good)

      If anyone needs/wants a cheap blend for mixing or sipping on the rocks, I highly recommend Ballantine's Finest. Cheaper than many other brands, and much better than crap like Cutty and JW Red, while actually offering a distinct and mature flavor.

      I lived in Scotland for a few months in 2008 and have been hooked ever since.
      Last edited by ElixXxeR; 01-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.
      ///

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,016
      01-12-2012 11:01 AM #12
      I forgot about the doublewood, it's a standard here at my house too.


      I have a funny story about a bottle of Johnny Blue. It was the night before Thanksgiving 2009, a notorious "drinking" night. Well, we didn't want to go out, since it's usually full of rookies, so we went to my buddies mom's place, since he was visiting from Maryland. I was in a really bad spot with my current work gig and I knew the Ax was on it's way down at my neck. Two of my employee's were also friends with this buddy, so it was the 4 of us, who all worked together at one point. Anyhow, one of them went to the local liquor store to get a bottle of Johnny Black for us to split for the night. Well, when he was at the store, the girl at the counter says, "Did you say Johnny Blue?" and he went with it. Let's just say I've never seen a $200 bottle of Scotch disappear so fast.

      tl;dr- buddy went to buy a bottle of Black, splurged on a bottle of Blue. it disappeared quickly.

    13. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,084
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      01-14-2012 12:41 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      Arbeg Uigeadail (my absolute favorite)
      I've read good things about this, does it taste like medicine though?

      I had another glass of Johnny Blue last night and will stand that is is yawn. Very smooth, but at the cost of a lack of flavor and finish.

    14. Member ElixXxeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2005
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      6,904
      Vehicles
      2009 E90 M3
      01-16-2012 02:17 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      I've read good things about this, does it taste like medicine though?

      I had another glass of Johnny Blue last night and will stand that is is yawn. Very smooth, but at the cost of a lack of flavor and finish.
      It tastes much like other Islay malts. Perhaps a bit less iodine than Laphroaig, but it just smacks you in the face with flavor. It's cask strength, so a bit of filtered water tones down the bite and opens up the flavor bouquet.

      And I completely agree with you about JW Blue. I have a 375ml bottle from a friend and it's just too dull. Green is probably the most interesting JW.
      ///

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,133
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      01-18-2012 11:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      I ordered this out once and really enjoyed it.

      I'm partial to single, Islay malts (except for Bowmore, which always disappoints) and I have these on my shelf right now:

      Arbeg Uigeadail (my absolute favorite)
      Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
      Lagavulin 16
      Auchentashen Three Wood
      Oban 14 (I've been to the distillery; pretty neat)
      Chivas Regal 18
      Johnny Walker Black
      Cutty Stark (awful)
      Yamazaki 12 (not Scotch, but quite good)

      If anyone needs/wants a cheap blend for mixing or sipping on the rocks, I highly recommend Ballantine's Finest. Cheaper than many other brands, and much better than crap like Cutty and JW Red, while actually offering a distinct and mature flavor.

      I lived in Scotland for a few months in 2008 and have been hooked ever since.
      A man after me own heart.

      I just crushed a Laphroaig 10 last Saturday. I love smoke flavor and can't get enough of it. My favorite beers are cask aged that have that smokey flavor.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      4,539
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      01-18-2012 07:48 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR View Post
      It tastes much like other Islay malts. Perhaps a bit less iodine than Laphroaig, but it just smacks you in the face with flavor. It's cask strength, so a bit of filtered water tones down the bite and opens up the flavor bouquet.

      And I completely agree with you about JW Blue. I have a 375ml bottle from a friend and it's just too dull. Green is probably the most interesting JW.
      Islay always has that ultra-smokey taste.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      4,539
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      01-28-2012 10:28 AM #17
      Picked up some Johnnie Red this week. It tastes a little like smokey medicine in a good way.

    18. Member SurferbobGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2005
      Location
      Tallahassee, Florida
      Posts
      7,620
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line
      02-03-2012 09:10 AM #18
      I've got a bottle of Johhny Gold sitting in the cabinet.
      Quote Originally Posted by JKREW
      These kind of threads make me want to punch puppies in the face.
      Flickr

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2002
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      3,209
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      02-15-2012 05:41 PM #19
      Currently in the cabinet:

      -Aberlour 12 yr (sherry casks mmmm)
      -Ardmore (no age statement, but I believe it's 8yr)
      cask strength & non chill filtered, but I was underwhelmed. Needs to mature.
      -Ardbeg 10 (favorite 10yr)
      -Highland Park 12 (favorite 12yr)
      -Lagavulin 16 (favorite any year)
      -Laphroaig 10 (2)
      -Glenmorangie 10
      -Glen Fiddich Solera (haven't opened it yet)
      -Talisker 10 yr (huzzah! Excellent, but packs a bite)

      Bowmore Legend was a decent cheaper daily dram @ $25, but the last bottle
      was leaving the taste of sugar free bubblegum in my mouth so I've switched
      to McClelland's Islay. They aren't an actual distillery. Their islay malt is actually
      6yr Bowmore & it's really surprisingly good for $20. A drop of water helps.

      Their Highland malt is decent, too.

      I love scotch....
      Last edited by 2.FOH!!; 02-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.
      “The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years,” ~ Barack Obama 2012

      We are JIMP

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2004
      Posts
      1,372
      Vehicles
      GC WRX Wagon, Volvo V50 Wagon, Mazdaspeed3 w/ mods
      02-19-2012 11:03 PM #20
      Yum, Isley malts.

      We usually have in the cabinet:

      - Glenmorangie 10yr
      - Dimple (I think it's a 12)
      - Chivas Regal

      The special scotches that appear regularly

      - Talisker, usually just the 10y/o. I like that peaty, smokey bite
      - Laphroaig - can't remember the version, but generally entry level

      I don't really like JW Red or Black. Have had Blue and agree it's extremely smooth, but it really is fairly insipid. I started on Cardhu (spelling?) and liken that as a single malt to the overall texture of Blue as well as the fact that it's extremely light on flavour.

      Cheers - Mike

    21. 02-20-2012 02:38 PM #21
      I'm currently rebuilding, but my scotch bar holds the following at the moment:

      -Talisker 10 Year Old
      -Macallan Select Oak (No year on bottle, but the internet suggests it's 10-12 Year Old)
      -Macallan 12 Year Old
      -Balvinnie Doublewood (12 Year Old)
      -Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
      -Glenfiddich 15 Year Old

      It's a work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      1. is my post informative?
      2. am I contributing to the topic at hand?
      3. will my post offend anyone?
      if you can answer those questions go right ahead and post away.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2007
      Posts
      112
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta TDI
      04-05-2012 11:07 PM #22
      -Glenfiddich 15 Year
      -Glenlivet 15 Year
      -Auchentoshan 12 Year
      -Johnnie Walker Gold
      -Johnnie Walker Double Black
      -Johnnie Walker Black

      I'm loving the Glenfiddich and it's decently priced, around $65 here in Ontario... yes that's decent here

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      4,539
      Vehicles
      E30 Cab & 1.8T Golf
      04-06-2012 11:36 AM #23
      Went to a local Scotch tasting this week, my first, by these guys.

      http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/
      http://www.benromach.com/benromach.html

      Tried five Scotches and a Scotch liquer called Atholl Brose.

      They mixed the Atholl Brose with unsweetened ice tea, 1:5. This stuff made some of the tastiest sweet tea I have ever tasted.


    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •