Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't want Jalopnik to miss this story - McLaren MP4-12C HS

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      01-08-2012 12:53 PM #1

This is the first product of McLaren Special Operations which was announced in Pebble Beach this past summer. That group, in addition to assuming the role as caretakers for the McLaren F1s and SLRs, will also be handling customization efforts for McLaren Automotive's new products. This is the first example I have seen of the MP4-12C HS which has been designed to incorporate many of the styling elements that were featured on the MP4-12C GT3 cars.

Apparently five of these have been built. I will try to find out more of the specifics early this week including the price which was probably not inexpensive for all this customization work.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 12:58 PM #2
      A couple more screenshots:

>8^)
      ER

3. 01-08-2012 01:11 PM #3
      Thanks. More context from GTSPIRIT (edited):

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/08/v...tion-in-miami/
      Last edited by JalopnikMatt; 01-08-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Misattribution

Vehicles
      1997 Mazda Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      01-08-2012 01:18 PM #4
      I like McLaren, but if these are the only differences, then consider me unimpressed. All flash, no sauce.

Bespoke treatment applied to this car includes stunning satin matte Volcano Orange paintwork, a gloss black roof, diamond cut finish wheels with gloss black inners, MP4-12C branded carbon sill panels, carbon steering wheel, front wheel arch louvers and carbon fiber engine cover vents, rear deck vent and wiper system cover.
      I think it looks better, but it should have looked like that from the factory.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 01:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Thanks. More context from Teamspeed:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/08/v...tion-in-miami/
      Actually, here's the TeamSpeed link, including a comment from one 12C customer on the prices for these custom treatments:

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/mcla...-hs-miami.html

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 01:26 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      I like McLaren, but if these are the only differences, then consider me unimpressed. All flash, no sauce.
      It has PLENTY of sauce already.

This effort addresses what was the loudest complaint about the 12C which was the fact that the styling was not edgy enough. When the 12C GT3 was unveiled a lot of people said "I WANT THAT!".

Also, when you add 'sauce' then you also have to deal with the EPA again which is not an enjoyable nor inexpensive proposition.

>8^)
      ER

01-08-2012 01:27 PM #7
      Nice!!!!

That's how the 12C should have looked from the factory. I always thought the edges were too rounded like a nice GT cruiser, while a hardcore super-car should have some "ground effect" looking bumpers like this....

8. 01-08-2012 01:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
      Actually, here's the TeamSpeed link, including a comment from one 12C customer on the prices for these custom treatments:

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/mcla...-hs-miami.html

>8^)
      ER
      Hah, thanks!

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 01:45 PM #9
      It has PLENTY of sauce already.
      Ok, granted. And I appreciate your expertise here - I've been around long enough to respect your knowledge of everything McLaren.

But why not release this as an actual refresh? Are there customers on the market that still want the smooth looks of the conventional version? Perhaps my opinion is jaded because what I WANT to see is an edgier track version.

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 02:00 PM #10
      They're having no real difficulty selling the standard car from what I have seen. I was just at McLaren Beverly Hills last night and none of the cars they had the last time I was there were still around and the new ones had "Sold" signs in the windows.

I think you'd be amazed to discover what a press of the Active button and a twist of these two switches to the "T" does to transform the car for track use.

That said, I believe they will eventually introduce a GT3 road version of the 12C and it may be very much like what we are seeing here, perhaps with even more raw settings. For now, those customers who want a jump on McLaren's plans are able to get something like this for a price.

Remember, the 12C is not their only model - they are hard at work on the F1's successor, known internally as "The Supercar" or by its designator "P12". They also have a more modestly priced car in the works as well, which is "P13" and should come in priced more in the neighborhood of a 911 Turbo. They need to sell enough standard 12Cs to recoup their development investment, and so introducing a new variant right now when deliveries are first starting would upset that effort just the same as introducing the Spyder version which we can probably expect to see no sooner than 2013.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 02:17 PM #11
      The user jpmc at TeamSpeed.com spotted the pair at a gas station near the dealer and snapped these pics:

Really liking that front end treatment!

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      01-08-2012 02:22 PM #12
      T

>8^)
      ER
      What does the N stand for? I assume S is for Street, T is for Track, N is for?
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 02:22 PM #13
      Normal - Sport - Track

H = Handling P = Performance

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      01-08-2012 02:25 PM #14
      Thanks! Much more of a head turner now
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

15. 01-08-2012 02:26 PM #15
      The front end reminds me of that lotus. Orange isn't as stunning as the lambo's.....WANT, because SUPERCAR.

01-08-2012 02:32 PM #16
      Normal - Sport - Track

H = Handling P = Performance

>8^)
      ER
      What are the 'manual' and 'aero' buttons for?

Vehicles
      01-08-2012 02:36 PM #17
      Manual allows use of the paddles for shifting and Aero lets you set the rear wing at an elevated height like you see in this amazing rig photo by my friend George:

>8^)
      ER

18. 01-08-2012 06:23 PM #18
      looks way better HS spec!
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 02:09 AM #19
      Well this seems like a very plausible story from ar5 on McLarenLife.com. I guess there is some added "sauce" afterall.

Hello everybody I saw the Mclaren MP4-12C HS in the streets of Miami. I later went to the Mclaren Dealership in Miami where the orange and yellow cars arrived a few days ago. Since I am trying to exchange my 458 Italia for a MP4-12C. when I saw this stunning car, it made my 458 look like an old ugly woman. I went crazyy and I wanted one immidiatly. I really believe this is the most beautiful amazing car I have ever seen and looking at it up close looks 10x beeter than in the pictures! I got an audience with a representative of the dealership. From Whom I got the following details regarding the HS.

-There are only 5 made worldwide.
      -HS stands for "high sport" limited edition version.
      -The price is between half a million to 3/4 of a million for each car (but since there are only 5 made it seems rather cheap since the original Mclaren that had more than 70 produced sells around 2-3 million dollars).

One of the mechanics in addition to what the dealer told me confirmed the following performance indications that I got regarding the HS.
      - The front louvers are a performance enhancement due to the fact that it gets the air out that is generated within the fender of the front wheels at high speed which generates lift. (While all cars generate lift at high speed, cars fitted with front louvers like most race cars dont generate any lift do to this phenomenon.)
      - The car apparently was designed and tested in the Windtunnel and generates ALOT more downforce than the original one.
      - All enhancements are done in carbon fiber.
      -horsepower and troque are increased by a secret undisclosed amount that not even the dealership knows how much, but the wisper # is around 75 horsepower increase compared to the original.
      -the whole front nose of the car was redisgned under strict specifications by Mclaren to enhance the downforce performance and increase air flow to the turbo intercoolers in order to maintain higher boost pressures. Apparently Mclaren invested close to half a Million dollars in research and development to design and certify the new front nose.
      -Also the rear opening and diffusers enhance stability and downforce performance.

I tried to get information on the owner but the dealer would not disclose any information on the buyer but since I did not give up easily, what I got from one of sales representatives was that an older man bought 2 of the 5 cars for which are in Miami. 1 one was bought by the crown prince of Bahrain, another one was being kept by Ron Dennis himself and the last one I could not get any information on. (at least that is what sales representative heard.)

so the on the positive side
      it accelerates faster, breaks faster, turns faster, and it looks super WOW!!!
      and on the negative side
      no matter what i tried or as many doors i knocked upon and how much I cried, they could not sell me or reporduce any of the HS versions! So I have no choice but to leave with blue balls and go for the original version.
      P.S. I honestly believe that if Mclaren produced this limited edition version as a standard version Ferrari would have not known what to do with that POS!
      I do hope one comes to Los Angeles - I would love to see it in person.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 02:23 AM #20
      Well this seems like a very plausible story from ar5 on McLarenLife.com. I guess there is some added "sauce" afterall.
      Excellent! Can I take back my previous statement ? Although I still believe this is what the 12C should have looked like this right from the beginning - The definition on the front air dam really helps the percieved aggressiveness (super-ness?)

By the way - the two lights in the lower rear bumper - are those reversing lights just strips of LEDs? Does anyone have any pictures of the light they put out at night? They are tiny!

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 02:58 AM #21
      They are LEDs - super brite ones. I thought they did an okay job at night, but don't have any photos of them in darkness that I recall.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 03:52 AM #22
      Another photo - oh so "Wow!"

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      01-09-2012 11:55 AM #23
      Wow, that's striking. But I might want the more subtle original version if I were to DD one of these

I like the power folding mirrors...the mirror folds in but that long stalk is still hanging out
      Quote Originally Posted by Dario Franchitti
      Modern cars are getting faster, grippier and more stable. But I only want those characteristics in a race car. It seems to me that a trend is developing when road cars are being engineered to behave like race cars -- but the truth is that driver enjoyment is way down the list of priorities for a racer. If we go down that route, it’s a slippery slope for those who love road driving.

01-09-2012 12:08 PM #24
      what's the point of a "WINTER" button?
      Raven
      92 Corrado VR6t | 93 Corrado SLC | 90 Miata (because racecar)
      DCC - Detroit Corrado Club

Vehicles
      turbo Miata track toy, stock Miata daily
      01-09-2012 12:10 PM #25
      That looks much better, dare I say "perfect". This car seems to look great in some colors, awful in others. The orange looks best every time.

26. 01-09-2012 01:02 PM #26
      Bespoke treatment applied to this car includes stunning satin matte Volcano Orange paintwork, a gloss black roof, diamond cut finish wheels with gloss black inners, MP4-12C branded carbon sill panels, carbon steering wheel, front wheel arch louvers and carbon fiber engine cover vents, rear deck vent and wiper system cover.
      This was quoted above, but I'm not sure of the source. It seems to be describing their show car (the one Peloton shared with us from Monterey) and not this one. The description doesn't really match up.

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 02:00 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      what's the point of a "WINTER" button?
      Starts the car in second gear - tells the traction control to be on high alert I would assume.

McLaren also offer winter tires for the 12C. They are the Pirelli Sotto Zero type 270 Series II.

Year round fun!

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      01-09-2012 02:11 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Mintyy View Post
      This was quoted above, but I'm not sure of the source. It seems to be describing their show car (the one Peloton shared with us from Monterey) and not this one. The description doesn't really match up.
      Yes - it does. Came out of the article on the HS that GTSpirit wrote where they also referred to the Special Ops car from Monterey which they themselves have dubbed the "Bespoke Edition".

>8^)
      ER

01-16-2012 12:38 PM #29
      McLaren also offer winter tires for the 12C. They are the Pirelli Sotto Zero type 270 Series II.

Year round fun!

>8^)
      ER
      McLaren Toronto has their test car equipped with those very tires and will be offering test drives year round.

Me thinks an AWD R8, Lambo, Porsche C4 might make a better winter supercar, but who knows.

01-16-2012 12:47 PM #30
      Much improved in the looks department I like everything but the penile-themed wheels.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '94 and '90 Miatas
      01-16-2012 12:58 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GTurboI View Post
      Much improved in the looks department I like everything but the penile-themed wheels.
      I didn't even see it until you said something.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My runner and parts car are for sale. PM for details.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      01-16-2012 01:07 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Wow, that's striking. But I might want the more subtle original version if I were to DD one of these

sometimes the armchair responses on this forum amaze me.

Peloton Great write up as usual

01-16-2012 01:10 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post

sometimes the armchair responses on this forum amaze me.

Peloton Great write up as usual
      I think the batteries in your sarcasm meter need to be replaced.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      01-16-2012 01:44 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by GTurboI View Post
      I think the batteries in your sarcasm meter need to be replaced.

considering he used a "" I don't think my sarcasm meter is broken, moreso he doesn't understand internet -etiquette. MUCH LIKE WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT SOMEONE.

Vehicles
      01-16-2012 01:59 PM #35
      Back on topic... I put these in the ROZAP thread but we can keep them here too.

= = = = =

Here are more photos of the McLaren Orange 12C HS from jpmc on TeamSpeed taken during the McLaren Miami Grand Opening event.

The car looks great, but I love the license plate the most.

>8^)
      ER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast