Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New to Model Building...looking for tips

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      01-08-2012 10:00 PM #1
      Hi guys,

I've decided to get into model building (cars), and would like some help from some of you experienced modelers.

After searching online, i've started purchasing some equipment...cutters, file set, cement glue, tape, fine brushes.

I also realize that an airbrush w/compresor is necessary, if you want a nice and uniform finsh. I have heard of Paasche, but i'm not sure what to look for. single? dual?

I'm looking forward to sharing my progress. My 1st try will be a Tamiya Celica GT-four.

Thanks for the help!

Vehicles
      09CW VW Rabbit w/19"BBS CKs, FK springs/shocks/struts
      01-09-2012 12:40 AM #2
      Here's another good modeling site.
      http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=927
      You might also subscribe to scaleauto magazine or at least set up a profile on scaleauto.com
      They have a bunch of "How-tos" by the pros.
      Some of the companies making spraypaints are coming out w/some pretty amazing quality right out of the can. Scale auto just had an artical on how good spray cans are now and showed tech. on how to use them best. You might want to start out w/cans and work you way into an airbrush.

Good luck and have fun...

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec
      01-09-2012 04:47 PM #3
      Modelcarsmag.com has a great forum with helpful individuals.

Paasche is a good brand has a good starter kit for air brushing: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXSL6&P=ML

As with anything take your time, read and learn. One tool I have that has proven to be the most used and valuable to me is a good set of Sprue cutters. ONLY use them for cutting parts off the tree and they'll stay in excellent shape. Using that and some decent Tamiya files has helped me greatly in the fit and finish department.

Any questions just ask.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      01-09-2012 05:23 PM #4
      Thank you...I will definetely check out tower hobbies, scale auto and automotive forums. The accessories that I have purchased are all from tamiya as that seems to be the go to company. I already own a small compressor, so I will only need the airbrush, however can I use any compressor or does it have to be a specific one?

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S Line
      01-10-2012 07:45 PM #5
      tamiya website has some good articles

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/index.php?id=8
      2008 A3 Ocean Blue S Line | Open Sky| 3M Clear Bra| ABT Side Skirts | Votex Rear Bumper Valence| ECS Side Markers | Racing Dash LED Rear License Plate Bulb | GTI Aluminum pedals | ECS Dogbone mount | Front Plate Delete & GMG license plate bracket|apr stage 1

"Keep the air in the spare, and the bag in the wheel" - Adam Carolla

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      01-11-2012 01:31 AM #6
      www.scaleautomag.com

http://www.arcauto.com - has a good forum, really good tips section. ALso has an aircraft modelling section, which has great tips for weathering.

93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

02-23-2012 11:18 AM #7
      Any compressor will be fine as long as you have a good moisture separator, and a way to adjust the air pressure. I have a small badger compressor in my basement that works fine for model airbrushing, and a 10k screw compressor in the shop, and they both work about the same for this stuff. The single action air brushes work fine for model painting, the double action are needed more for custom airbrush work where you need more spray control. I have several of each type, and they all work great for model parts, since you really just need good solid coverage. My Iwata airbrush is probably my favorite, although the Paasche is great, and I really like my Aztec from Testors as you can just swap out the tips for different materials easy and cheap.

Vehicles
      83 GTI
      02-25-2012 03:06 PM #8
      A couple of tweezers as well. See if you can find a pair that you squeeze to open. They help a lot when painting or placing small parts in place. Tooth picks for placing small amounts of glue in tight areas. White glue works for clear plastic. Wire hangers work great when painting the bodies. Folding and a little bending and you can make a cheap stand so you can paint all around the car.
      Wash the car with warm soapy water before painting. If using spray paint keep it in a warm place or put in warm water before use. It helps the paint flow better. Several light coats are better than one thick coat. Let the body sit for a few days after painting.

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.480257,-74.015578
      My Boosted 16VT Build

FS/FT 83 GTI roller
      Make me an offer before I chop it up