Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    View Poll Results: should they add a inspection and emissions thread

    Voters
    52. You may not vote on this poll
    • "yes" add it

      33 63.46%
    • "no" dont add it

      19 36.54%
    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: inspection and emissions thread

    1. Member builtvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2009
      Location
      coopersburg
      Posts
      2,210
      Vehicles
      windsor 2.0, ginster 1.8t
      01-09-2012 02:34 PM #1
      there should be an inspection and emissions forum under technical. for people that have questions on ways to get their car to pass/ if it will pass/ etc...
      i have my pa inspection license and i know many others do, that will be glad to help others
      sounds good to me
      "yes" to add
      "no" dont add it

      -as stated by eweu this thread probably shouldnt be posted in technical, but im sure itll work out in another thread
      Last edited by builtvw; 01-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      only on vortex, could this turn into a argument.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Project-molest

    2. Member builtvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2009
      Location
      coopersburg
      Posts
      2,210
      Vehicles
      windsor 2.0, ginster 1.8t
      01-09-2012 04:17 PM #2
      37 views and none of you voted. just hit the button yes or no
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      only on vortex, could this turn into a argument.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Project-molest

    3. Member backseatdelete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2010
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      604
      Vehicles
      mark five gee tee eye
      01-09-2012 05:10 PM #3
      voted up
      "Prepare the light runner, Quorra, we're going down town."
      ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

    4. Member Seax_Smith's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 1st, 2007
      Location
      Not Present.
      Posts
      5,314
      Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      01-09-2012 07:19 PM #4
      There are inspections for a reason. Any decently running mark II will pass without issue, sans a few odd exceptions and/or heavy modding.

    5. Member 27psigti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2007
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      2,996
      Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t,E90,E34,11 gsxr 750
      01-09-2012 08:01 PM #5
      I have a NY inspection license

    6. Member builtvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2009
      Location
      coopersburg
      Posts
      2,210
      Vehicles
      windsor 2.0, ginster 1.8t
      01-09-2012 08:33 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Seax_Smith View Post
      There are inspections for a reason. Any decently running mark II will pass without issue, sans a few odd exceptions and/or heavy modding.
      yah i know theres inspections for a reason but that doesnt mean people dont have questions
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      only on vortex, could this turn into a argument.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Project-molest

    7. Member PepsiFiend69's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2007
      Location
      Phoenixville. PA
      Posts
      1,478
      Vehicles
      98 GLX
      01-09-2012 09:38 PM #7
      I am a mechanic in PA, and would like this thread.


      I'd be glad to help with any questions

    8. Member eweu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      2,348
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      01-10-2012 01:56 AM #8
      Inspections vary wildly from state to state and even region to region within a state. I think these sorts of questions are best handled in the regional forums.

    9. 01-10-2012 02:00 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      Inspections vary wildly from state to state and even region to region within a state. I think these sorts of questions are best handled in the regional forums.
      Word.

    10. Member builtvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2009
      Location
      coopersburg
      Posts
      2,210
      Vehicles
      windsor 2.0, ginster 1.8t
      01-10-2012 10:39 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      Inspections vary wildly from state to state and even region to region within a state. I think these sorts of questions are best handled in the regional forums.
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      only on vortex, could this turn into a argument.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Project-molest

    11. Member Seax_Smith's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 1st, 2007
      Location
      Not Present.
      Posts
      5,314
      Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      01-10-2012 07:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by builtvw View Post
      yah i know theres inspections for a reason but that doesnt mean people dont have questions
      Until you get into hybrids and race engines, a bentley manual will answer any question you could have about what to do to make you car run right. (that's all inspections are.... making sure that a car meets a minimum set of criteria to be safe and drivable on the roads, with 'drivable' determined by the state.)

      Any car not passing inspections generally fails for lack of maintenance, dieing engine or incomplete or malfunctioning sub systems.

      Yes, there is a need for a forum that you speak of, but it is the same need as a general maintenance forum.

      The "Cheats" on how to pass a particular states inspection without actually repairing the car should be left to the regional forums as suggested.

      So, I am completely in favor of a general maintenance forum, and at the same time completely opposed to a forum (regional or otherwise) devoted to faking inspection standards.

    12. Member backseatdelete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2010
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      604
      Vehicles
      mark five gee tee eye
      01-10-2012 07:11 PM #12
      ^^^ or, instead of faking inspection standards, us licensed state saftey inspectors could assist those in our region (yes to the regional forums idea) in informing forum members for VAG and nonVAG cars for inspection and emeission standards, new updates and laws, new requirements, and things that have been outdated.

      Some places just do emission tesing, some places just do saftey inspections. Not everyone has a bentley. Not everyone has a volks or an audi. Things change, and Id like to step forward and help those who have questions.
      "Prepare the light runner, Quorra, we're going down town."
      ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

    13. Member rabbitnothopper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2009
      Location
      D-Town REPRESENT : Texas
      Posts
      7,822
      Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      03-02-2012 02:31 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by backseatdelete View Post
      ^^^ or, instead of faking inspection standards, us licensed state saftey inspectors could assist those in our region (yes to the regional forums idea) in informing forum members for VAG and nonVAG cars for inspection and emeission standards, new updates and laws, new requirements, and things that have been outdated.

      Some places just do emission tesing, some places just do saftey inspections. Not everyone has a bentley. Not everyone has a volks or an audi. Things change, and Id like to step forward and help those who have questions.


      hmm...laws, emissions... requirements...
      well... im exhaling co2
      stick a carbon filter on my throat and charge me a monthly fee

    14. Member backseatdelete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2010
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      604
      Vehicles
      mark five gee tee eye
      03-02-2012 03:31 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      hmm...laws, emissions... requirements...
      well... im exhaling co2
      stick a carbon filter on my throat and charge me a monthly fee

      *annual

      dont we all

      the point is to look for a small group just to firgure some things out together.. look for advice toward (especially) us whom are licensed to inspect and conduct emissions tesing, in which i hate. as far as your signature, youre in luck as pre-84 cars dont require such testing in Texas
      "Prepare the light runner, Quorra, we're going down town."
      ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •