Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek 2

Vehicles
      13 .:R, 67 Camaro, 86 GLH-T Omni
      01-10-2012 02:06 AM #1
      So apparently filming starts tomorrow, lot's of new additions to the cast, and KHAN is rumored to be the villain, although with this whole, altered time line, I was hoping to see something new/different but then again, that is just a rumor, I'm stoked.. call this pre-mature, but enjoyed the first!
      PSN o0o_BOOST_o0o
      XBL oo BOOST LEE oo

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      I'm saying that after 6 hours of angry man on man sex, the MKIV still smelt like an MKIV.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      01-10-2012 07:22 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTAHOLIC View Post
      So apparently filming starts tomorrow, lot's of new additions to the cast, and KHAN is rumored to be the villain, although with this whole, altered time line, I was hoping to see something new/different but then again, that is just a rumor, I'm stoked.. call this pre-mature, but enjoyed the first!
      My wife enjoyed the first one more than I did (I stopped watching after the first half hour or so and only saw bits and pieces of the rest of it - didn't do anything for me), my Star Trek days are long over and when I do feel the nostalgic need, I still go towards the original. I'm not a big fan of all these reboots that are going on anyway.

But seeing as how Wrath of Khan is probably still my favorite of the series, I would be interested to see what they do with it.

3. 01-10-2012 02:29 PM #3
      For crying out loud the universe is bigger than our imaginations so we should never see the same villian twice. Is Hollywood that pathetic???

4. 01-10-2012 06:52 PM #4
      These are rumors...

Beyond that, the timeline is different now, Kirk encountered Khan twice in the original timeline, in the series, then in the movies...

Vehicles
      1991 VW Vanagon, 1995 Subaru Legacy L Outback wagon, 1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
      01-10-2012 10:04 PM #5
      I hope not.

I can't see ANYONE but Ricardo Montalban in that role. MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, though, the whole point of the timeline reset was to put the old characters into new scenarios. Khan was awesome, but has been done.

In my opinion, we either need a cerebral, scientific movie, or some serious Federation vs. Klingons vs. Romulans action.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-10-2012 11:05 PM #6
      Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan maybe?
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2012 07:11 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Is Hollywood that pathetic???
      Yes

But just to play along (digs out the 'ol dusty Spock ears from the closet), I agree that if the whole purpose was to "reboot" the series, then at least come up with some new and unique villains or situations. Don't make it a remake on top of a reboot. If they are not going to create something new with the series, then they may as well just remake Wrath of Khan. I always thought that the Star Trek universe was infinitely huge and for the most part, the various shows and movies always seemed to focus on the same things over and over again.

8. 01-11-2012 08:46 AM #8
      Odd. I thought the Star Trek I villain was lame beyond measure. He was the
      worst part of that movie - other than the stupidly endless shaky cam.

If it's Khan Part Deux it would be hard *not* to be better.

Still, excellent reboot overalll so I'm looking forward to it.

01-11-2012 02:03 PM #9
      they have been filing at my work since Monday.
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      01-11-2012 05:08 PM #10
      It won't be Khan.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      01-11-2012 11:12 PM #11
      I thought the Abrams Star Trek was an alternate reality to the TOS/TNG/DS9/Voyager Star Trek Universe?
      Go Gators!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2012 07:38 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DSG-TDI View Post
      I thought the Abrams Star Trek was an alternate reality to the TOS/TNG/DS9/Voyager Star Trek Universe?
      Nope, reboot of the franchise with liberties taken with the original cannon to make it more gritty/edgy/hip for today's audiences.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      01-12-2012 08:25 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      Nope, reboot of the franchise with liberties taken with the original cannon to make it more gritty/edgy/hip for today's audiences.
      It is an alternate reality/timeline. If, as you say, you didn't watch the whole movie, then you missed the part where the original Spock explains it.

Nero's arrival in the past, destroying the Kelvin and killing George Kirk, as well as everyone who was killed in the battle at Vulcan and the destruction of Vulcan, created an alternate timeline. The original, older Spock exists in the new timeline as well.

So yeah, it's a reboot, but it's also an alternate timeline/reality.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      01-12-2012 09:58 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post

Maybe in this universe, Wesley Crusher doesn't exist.
      Go Gators!

15. 01-12-2012 12:56 PM #15
      It is an alternate reality/timeline. If, as you say, you didn't watch the whole movie, then you missed the part where the original Spock explains it.

Nero's arrival in the past, destroying the Kelvin and killing George Kirk, as well as everyone who was killed in the battle at Vulcan and the destruction of Vulcan, created an alternate timeline. The original, older Spock exists in the new timeline as well.

Taking that further, Kahn would still exist and could still be a threat, since he existed long before the events in Star Trek.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

16. 01-12-2012 12:57 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      I love it when people who have not seen a film and have no concept of the underlying story offer comments like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      01-12-2012 05:29 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      Odd. I thought the Star Trek I villain was lame beyond measure. He was the
      worst part of that movie - other than the stupidly endless shaky cam.

If it's Khan Part Deux it would be hard *not* to be better.

Still, excellent reboot overalll so I'm looking forward to it.
      Agreed.

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      01-13-2012 08:29 PM #18

don't forget the Klingon where wiped out too, almost.. (in the deleted scenes)
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      01-13-2012 08:31 PM #19
      I loved the reboot, but am loyal to the original..
      Shatner will ALWAYS be KIRK!

they could make this work with the same (movie)Characters but a different story line.
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01-14-2012 05:31 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      I love it when people who have not seen a film and have no concept of the underlying story offer comments like this.
      Hey! I based that on what I had seen the film advertised as and yes, also on the ten minutes that I watched I had forgot that Spock was in the new one, shows you how memorable I thought the film was

21. 01-18-2012 02:14 AM #21
      Have to agree. The last one did not have any memorable feeling the original and TNG cast ever did. As they said the bridge came out of an apple store.
      The engine room was nothing original, it was shot in a damn factory.
      No special thinking or deep meaning to the plot like in many of the other movies. It was built to be more edgy and fast paced to appeal to a newer audience who do not have the patience to listen to the enlightened commentary or more complex stories the older movies brought out.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      01-18-2012 10:55 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
      Have to agree. The last one did not have any memorable feeling the original and TNG cast ever did. As they said the bridge came out of an apple store.
      No special thinking or deep meaning to the plot like in many of the other movies. It was built to be more edgy and fast paced to appeal to a newer audience who do not have the patience to listen to the enlightened commentary or more complex stories the older movies brought out.
      "Enlightened commentary or more complex stories"? Which Star Trek movies had those qualities? Wrath of Kahn was the best of the lot and that was a Ricardo Montalban retread of a TV episode. And then there was that incredibly complex "save the whales" plot in "Star Trek: The Voyage Home".

The most recent Star Trek was a fun summer fluff movie. Uhura was hot. Kirk got laid. Hell, even Spock got laid. It had some funny parts like Chekov struggling with voice recognition of his security code. Kirk saves the universe in the end. Left satisfied.

23. 01-18-2012 01:31 PM #23
      my two favorite Star Trek movies are Wrath of Khan and First Contact. So I'd expect to see khan first, then the Borg. I could be completely wrong of course.

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      01-18-2012 02:17 PM #24

He does exist, but he is a Romulan whos only job is to warn people about red matter.

F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      01-18-2012 02:45 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      He does exist, but he is a Romulan whos only job is to warn people about red matter.
      I had no idea Wil Wheaton had a bit part in Star Trek. I've watched the movie 4 or 5 times and never picked up on it.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-18-2012 03:57 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
      You might be giving TNG and the movies too much credit. While I didnt watch the series with any regularity, nor do I believe I saw the movies, if you grew up on those shows, you remember them with a certain element of nostalgia, in that everything was better THEN. Personally, I have experienced this with Knight Rider, A-Team, and Air Wolf. They are now funny to watch, but you see so many gaffes and realize how bad some of the actors were. But none were epic or ground breaking, despite our tendencies to suspend belief and reality when watching them...even now.

Nothing about the reboot, in my opinion, felt forced or out of context. I don't think the bridge looked THAT much like an apple store, but then again, anything futuristic, in any movie, ends up looking the same. And where was the original shot? I'd imagine on some lot in Hollywood. You also have to realize that one movie cannot have such a complex story line when you are, essentially, starting the franchise from scratch. We're more than a decade removed from SNG - the teenagers now don't have the same connection to the series that they did then. We're in a different world now, its all fast-paced. The movie did fine for what it is. Keep up.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01-18-2012 04:40 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      You might be giving TNG and the movies too much credit. While I didnt watch the series with any regularity, nor do I believe I saw the movies, if you grew up on those shows, you remember them with a certain element of nostalgia, in that everything was better THEN. Personally, I have experienced this with Knight Rider, A-Team, and Air Wolf. They are now funny to watch, but you see so many gaffes and realize how bad some of the actors were. But none were epic or ground breaking, despite our tendencies to suspend belief and reality when watching them...even now.
      I'd have to agree with this - it's like the new Doctor Who. My wife loves it, it makes me want to go out and kill little fuzzy things. I grew up watching the old classic series (cardboard scenery and all) and just can't get into the new one. It's just the nostalgia I have for the old shows that won't allow me to get into the new one. Battlestar Galactica is another one where I just can't get into the new one and still prefer the old corny original.

28. 01-18-2012 07:53 PM #28
      I give the early TNG where not the best in terms of age. But the acting and writing improved dramatically after The Best of Both Worlds.

On that note, I think the movies have held up better than people think. I still watch them today. But again its the story, the pacing and the character interactions that drove the original and TNG crews. Go back to Undiscovered Country and see if you can find any scifi (if any) movies written today with that kind of plot and depth of character exploration. Kirk had to fight his own demon's and prejudice that gave his enemies the opportunity to put him in that position as the pawn. In every movie, there was some kind of intellectual debate on an issue that came up. In Wrath of Khan, it was the ethics of the Genesis Project or the debate about facing death with the Kobyashi Maru as the point in subject. Search for Spock had Kirk turning against Starfleet. Heck even the most derived of the series Star Trek V had the debate on god and if a person needs their pain. Go to Picards time and we have the subject of revenge when it came to the Borg in First Contact or debating the (as it has been said many times) the needs of the many vs the needs of the few in Insurrection.

Series need to develop and move on. Even by Undiscovered Country, the series had passed Roddenberry's original vision to something he did not like. But it had to move on and I had no problem with that. I think the proceeding stores kept in line with the base concepts he set down.

I even enjoyed the A Team reboot since the original looking back was campy and cheesy as hell. But A Team was about fixing problems by shooting your way out of it. Star Trek is one of those series who's original concepts should survive the test of time and be presented in a new light to the newer audience. I don't believe Abrams can do that. I think the actors have the capacity to continue and represent what the older crew could do. If you want to keep an EMO Kirk fine, shaky cam fine, give me a decent Engine Bay at least and better battle sequences that rival Sacrifice of Angels.

I will be watching ST2 since I am a fan of the franchise as a whole. Like Star Trek as a whole, always the optimist, they can only improve from here.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-19-2012 12:44 AM #29
      I'll have to watch the movies before commenting further...but a question:

Were the movies essentially long TV episodes, based on the series? Or standalone films telling their own stories? In other words, which came first?
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      01-19-2012 12:25 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      I'll have to watch the movies before commenting further...but a question:

Were the movies essentially long TV episodes, based on the series? Or standalone films telling their own stories? In other words, which came first?
      For both the TOS (The Original Series) crew and the TNG (The Next Generation) crew, the movies were new stories, based at a later time than the TV series.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was set decades after TOS (basically as many years between the end of TOS and ST:TMP in real time). The original Enterprise, a Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser, has been returned to spacedock for refit, receiving new engines, equipment, and tech, which explains the new, but similar, look of the ship. In the intervening years, Kirk had been promoted to Admiral and is head of Starfleet Operations. In my opinion, ST:TMP feels like a classic Trek episode, with a scientific mission and minimal violence. ST II:TWOK has much more ship combat and violence, presumably to make it more action-y, but characterization is still strong.

I recall Star Trek: Generations being criticized as feeling like a long TV episode. It is set only a short amount of time following the end of the ST:TNG series, maybe only a few months or a year. The later TNG crew movies feel "bigger" and less like a TV episode, I think partially because of the new ship.

I liked JJ Trek. Yeah, it wasn't as "deep" as prior films, but it was still fun and played plenty of homage to TOS, with familiar sounds and in-jokes.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-19-2012 12:46 PM #31
      For both the TOS (The Original Series) crew and the TNG (The Next Generation) crew, the movies were new stories, based at a later time than the TV series.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was set decades after TOS (basically as many years between the end of TOS and ST:TMP in real time). The original Enterprise, a Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser, has been returned to spacedock for refit, receiving new engines, equipment, and tech, which explains the new, but similar, look of the ship. In the intervening years, Kirk had been promoted to Admiral and is head of Starfleet Operations. In my opinion, ST:TMP feels like a classic Trek episode, with a scientific mission and minimal violence. ST II:TWOK has much more ship combat and violence, presumably to make it more action-y, but characterization is still strong.

I recall Star Trek: Generations being criticized as feeling like a long TV episode. It is set only a short amount of time following the end of the ST:TNG series, maybe only a few months or a year. The later TNG crew movies feel "bigger" and less like a TV episode, I think partially because of the new ship.

I liked JJ Trek. Yeah, it wasn't as "deep" as prior films, but it was still fun and played plenty of homage to TOS, with familiar sounds and in-jokes.
      Your explanation gets to my next point - character development was done in the show, so the movies didn't need as much. The audience already had a connection with the product, there by making the movies easier. For the JJ Star Trek, no such connection exists. While considered a reboot by many, you can consider it just a fresh movie with no past connections and a standalone franchise. So, to that end, it opened and closed enough story lines to make the movie work, irrespective of past movies or series.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta WE & 2009 Buell XB9SX
      01-19-2012 01:56 PM #32

It should be the duty (maybe the first thing he does) of alternative timeline/future Spock to warn them of Wesley Crusher and make sure he isn't conceived.
      2007 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with some mods
      1998 B5 Passat 1.8T with green dash lights and the small passenger mirror

Vehicles
      13 .:R, 67 Camaro, 86 GLH-T Omni
      02-27-2012 07:40 PM #33
      Here are some pics of a little fight between, Spock and who ever, Mr. Cumberbatch is playing..

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-sequ...-sandy-156299/
      PSN o0o_BOOST_o0o
      XBL oo BOOST LEE oo

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      I'm saying that after 6 hours of angry man on man sex, the MKIV still smelt like an MKIV.

34. 02-29-2012 11:11 AM #34
      I really enjoyed the first and looking forward to the sequel.

35. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      02-29-2012 12:44 PM #35
      I just watched the first one the other day. Still good.

Interesting outfits the guy Spocks fight with is wearing, looks like a variation of a Starfleet suit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast