VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek 2

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-18-2012 03:57 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
      Have to agree. The last one did not have any memorable feeling the original and TNG cast ever did. As they said the bridge came out of an apple store.
      The engine room was nothing original, it was shot in a damn factory.
      No special thinking or deep meaning to the plot like in many of the other movies. It was built to be more edgy and fast paced to appeal to a newer audience who do not have the patience to listen to the enlightened commentary or more complex stories the older movies brought out.
      You might be giving TNG and the movies too much credit. While I didnt watch the series with any regularity, nor do I believe I saw the movies, if you grew up on those shows, you remember them with a certain element of nostalgia, in that everything was better THEN. Personally, I have experienced this with Knight Rider, A-Team, and Air Wolf. They are now funny to watch, but you see so many gaffes and realize how bad some of the actors were. But none were epic or ground breaking, despite our tendencies to suspend belief and reality when watching them...even now.

Nothing about the reboot, in my opinion, felt forced or out of context. I don't think the bridge looked THAT much like an apple store, but then again, anything futuristic, in any movie, ends up looking the same. And where was the original shot? I'd imagine on some lot in Hollywood. You also have to realize that one movie cannot have such a complex story line when you are, essentially, starting the franchise from scratch. We're more than a decade removed from SNG - the teenagers now don't have the same connection to the series that they did then. We're in a different world now, its all fast-paced. The movie did fine for what it is. Keep up.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-18-2012 04:40 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      You might be giving TNG and the movies too much credit. While I didnt watch the series with any regularity, nor do I believe I saw the movies, if you grew up on those shows, you remember them with a certain element of nostalgia, in that everything was better THEN. Personally, I have experienced this with Knight Rider, A-Team, and Air Wolf. They are now funny to watch, but you see so many gaffes and realize how bad some of the actors were. But none were epic or ground breaking, despite our tendencies to suspend belief and reality when watching them...even now.
      I'd have to agree with this - it's like the new Doctor Who. My wife loves it, it makes me want to go out and kill little fuzzy things. I grew up watching the old classic series (cardboard scenery and all) and just can't get into the new one. It's just the nostalgia I have for the old shows that won't allow me to get into the new one. Battlestar Galactica is another one where I just can't get into the new one and still prefer the old corny original.

3. 01-18-2012 07:53 PM #28
      I give the early TNG where not the best in terms of age. But the acting and writing improved dramatically after The Best of Both Worlds.

On that note, I think the movies have held up better than people think. I still watch them today. But again its the story, the pacing and the character interactions that drove the original and TNG crews. Go back to Undiscovered Country and see if you can find any scifi (if any) movies written today with that kind of plot and depth of character exploration. Kirk had to fight his own demon's and prejudice that gave his enemies the opportunity to put him in that position as the pawn. In every movie, there was some kind of intellectual debate on an issue that came up. In Wrath of Khan, it was the ethics of the Genesis Project or the debate about facing death with the Kobyashi Maru as the point in subject. Search for Spock had Kirk turning against Starfleet. Heck even the most derived of the series Star Trek V had the debate on god and if a person needs their pain. Go to Picards time and we have the subject of revenge when it came to the Borg in First Contact or debating the (as it has been said many times) the needs of the many vs the needs of the few in Insurrection.

Series need to develop and move on. Even by Undiscovered Country, the series had passed Roddenberry's original vision to something he did not like. But it had to move on and I had no problem with that. I think the proceeding stores kept in line with the base concepts he set down.

I even enjoyed the A Team reboot since the original looking back was campy and cheesy as hell. But A Team was about fixing problems by shooting your way out of it. Star Trek is one of those series who's original concepts should survive the test of time and be presented in a new light to the newer audience. I don't believe Abrams can do that. I think the actors have the capacity to continue and represent what the older crew could do. If you want to keep an EMO Kirk fine, shaky cam fine, give me a decent Engine Bay at least and better battle sequences that rival Sacrifice of Angels.

I will be watching ST2 since I am a fan of the franchise as a whole. Like Star Trek as a whole, always the optimist, they can only improve from here.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-19-2012 12:44 AM #29
      I'll have to watch the movies before commenting further...but a question:

Were the movies essentially long TV episodes, based on the series? Or standalone films telling their own stories? In other words, which came first?
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      01-19-2012 12:25 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      I'll have to watch the movies before commenting further...but a question:

Were the movies essentially long TV episodes, based on the series? Or standalone films telling their own stories? In other words, which came first?
      For both the TOS (The Original Series) crew and the TNG (The Next Generation) crew, the movies were new stories, based at a later time than the TV series.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was set decades after TOS (basically as many years between the end of TOS and ST:TMP in real time). The original Enterprise, a Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser, has been returned to spacedock for refit, receiving new engines, equipment, and tech, which explains the new, but similar, look of the ship. In the intervening years, Kirk had been promoted to Admiral and is head of Starfleet Operations. In my opinion, ST:TMP feels like a classic Trek episode, with a scientific mission and minimal violence. ST II:TWOK has much more ship combat and violence, presumably to make it more action-y, but characterization is still strong.

I recall Star Trek: Generations being criticized as feeling like a long TV episode. It is set only a short amount of time following the end of the ST:TNG series, maybe only a few months or a year. The later TNG crew movies feel "bigger" and less like a TV episode, I think partially because of the new ship.

I liked JJ Trek. Yeah, it wasn't as "deep" as prior films, but it was still fun and played plenty of homage to TOS, with familiar sounds and in-jokes.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      01-19-2012 12:46 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      For both the TOS (The Original Series) crew and the TNG (The Next Generation) crew, the movies were new stories, based at a later time than the TV series.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was set decades after TOS (basically as many years between the end of TOS and ST:TMP in real time). The original Enterprise, a Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser, has been returned to spacedock for refit, receiving new engines, equipment, and tech, which explains the new, but similar, look of the ship. In the intervening years, Kirk had been promoted to Admiral and is head of Starfleet Operations. In my opinion, ST:TMP feels like a classic Trek episode, with a scientific mission and minimal violence. ST II:TWOK has much more ship combat and violence, presumably to make it more action-y, but characterization is still strong.

I recall Star Trek: Generations being criticized as feeling like a long TV episode. It is set only a short amount of time following the end of the ST:TNG series, maybe only a few months or a year. The later TNG crew movies feel "bigger" and less like a TV episode, I think partially because of the new ship.

I liked JJ Trek. Yeah, it wasn't as "deep" as prior films, but it was still fun and played plenty of homage to TOS, with familiar sounds and in-jokes.
      Your explanation gets to my next point - character development was done in the show, so the movies didn't need as much. The audience already had a connection with the product, there by making the movies easier. For the JJ Star Trek, no such connection exists. While considered a reboot by many, you can consider it just a fresh movie with no past connections and a standalone franchise. So, to that end, it opened and closed enough story lines to make the movie work, irrespective of past movies or series.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta WE & 2009 Buell XB9SX
      01-19-2012 01:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by DSG-TDI View Post

Maybe in this universe, Wesley Crusher doesn't exist.

It should be the duty (maybe the first thing he does) of alternative timeline/future Spock to warn them of Wesley Crusher and make sure he isn't conceived.
      2007 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition with some mods
      1998 B5 Passat 1.8T with green dash lights and the small passenger mirror

Vehicles
      13 .:R, 67 Camaro, 86 GLH-T Omni
      02-27-2012 07:40 PM #33
      Here are some pics of a little fight between, Spock and who ever, Mr. Cumberbatch is playing..

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-sequ...-sandy-156299/
      PSN o0o_BOOST_o0o
      XBL oo BOOST LEE oo

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      I'm saying that after 6 hours of angry man on man sex, the MKIV still smelt like an MKIV.

9. 02-29-2012 11:11 AM #34
      I really enjoyed the first and looking forward to the sequel.

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      02-29-2012 12:44 PM #35
      I just watched the first one the other day. Still good.

Interesting outfits the guy Spocks fight with is wearing, looks like a variation of a Starfleet suit.

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      03-02-2012 07:20 AM #36
      Didn't see Scotty on the poster....

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      03-07-2012 03:23 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by B95P View Post
      I really enjoyed the first and looking forward to the sequel.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-07-2012 07:44 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTAHOLIC View Post
      Here are some pics of a little fight between, Spock and who ever, Mr. Cumberbatch is playing..

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-sequ...-sandy-156299/
      Hmm. It looks like Spock's got a Nokia on his hip. Damn things are indestructable!
      Professional Thread Derailer
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-05-2012 08:17 AM #39
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      2010 Honda Pilot touring
      10-07-2012 02:46 AM #40
      Im still trying to get over the fact that the villian from the first movie waited 20+ years to seek revenge when all he really had to do was evacuate his world and avoid complete anhialation. Im sure that feet couldve been accomplished in 20+ years. Instead we have the entire species wiped out!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      he's lucky he got out of the Sikh temple with his head. If I could have one culture of people on my side, I'd want the Sikhs/Gurkhas.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      10-07-2012 10:10 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by sassbs View Post
      Im still trying to get over the fact that the villian from the first movie waited 20+ years to seek revenge when all he really had to do was evacuate his world and avoid complete anhialation. Im sure that feet couldve been accomplished in 20+ years. Instead we have the entire species wiped out!!!
      It's a sci fi movie and it's Star Trek on top of that, you expect it to make sense? In your defense, this is actually one of the reasons why I find myself watching fewer and fewer movies/TV shows - I've lost my ability to disconnect from reality and just can't handle watching most of the drivel that's being put out. Oh well, saves me having to spend $100 to take the family to the movies

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      10-08-2012 08:33 PM #42
      It wasn't explained in the theatrical release, but in the cut scenes, they explain (and filmed, yet cut) that he was captured by the Klingons and held prisoner for most of that time. Not to mention, his ship was severely damaged by the suicide run of the Kelvin.

Not saying it forgives the oversight in the theatrical version, just offering some closure
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

10-09-2012 12:33 PM #43
      need to watch the first one again. so good
      Oh, Hai IG: @bethisloco

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      10-15-2012 06:24 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
      I hope not.

I can't see ANYONE but Ricardo Montalban in that role.
      Nor anyone but Shatner opposing him.....

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      10-17-2012 08:41 AM #45
      My Dad is a huge fan of the original, and he could tolerate TNG, but even he loved the new movie.

Also, character development in the new movie was crucial, not only because it's a reboot, but because they are trying to introduce the series to a new group of younger people. I grew up with TNG, Voyager and a few episodes of TOS... most of what I know of Kirk is from reading Wikipedia like a nerd... I'd imagine most people haven't done that.
      2.0T... it's back!
      Don't call it a build thread

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      10-19-2012 09:01 PM #46
      they will never replace Shatner.........never!
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      10-20-2012 07:13 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
      Shatner's Kirk was incredibly camp. His 5 year mission to inseminate the Galaxy. Styrofoam boulders. Shaken camera to simulate the ship getting tossed around. I thought the Star Trek movie did a great job introducing Chris Pine as a more edge-y cocky delinquent Kirk.

The tougher to replace character is Leonard Nimoy's Spock. The other recurring characters in the movie like Uhura, McCoy, Scotty, Mr Sulu, and Chekov were arguably better than the TV series actors they replaced. ...or at least the writing gave the characters some flaws and far more personality.

Having seen George Takei more recently as an Economics professor in Larry Crowne, it's kind of too bad the Star Trek series didn't give him some personality. He was totally robotic in the TV series.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Dodge Dakota
      10-20-2012 07:39 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
      In "My Favorite Year," Peter O'Toole's character says "I'm not an actor - I'm a movie star." Shatner's Kirk is like that - not great, but fun to watch.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      10-21-2012 01:35 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Shatner's Kirk was incredibly camp. His 5 year mission to inseminate the Galaxy. Styrofoam boulders. Shaken camera to simulate the ship getting tossed around.
      You're mistaking 1960's low-budget TV production with an actor's chops. Not that Shatner can even carry Patrick Stewart's luggage but he worked in his role quite well. I don't think the original TV show really counts when it comes to looking at Shatner's Kirk. Wrath of Khan will always be the highlight of his career, and of the original Kirk.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      2005 VW Jetta GLI
      10-22-2012 03:06 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by sassbs View Post
      The movie kind of failed to explain that point, but the prequel comic explained why he did that.

He didn't want to save the Romulans, he wanted to save Romulus. He blamed the destruction of the planet on the Federation (and more specifically, the Vulcans and Spock, for not helping save Romulus fast enough). As he saw it, the best way to save Romulus was the destroy her enemies.

He thought the Vulcans had purposely waited just long enough so that Romulus would be destroyed, so he blamed them.

Waiting two decades isn't much for a guy who will live longer than two centuries, and has lost everything he had in life.

(/geek)
      I have a website | http://darren1303.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast