Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GT35R, PCV, Flappers...wtf!?

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      Turbo MKI Rabbit
      01-10-2012 06:42 PM #1
      Ok so i have searched for a few months now and have came up empty handed. I was running a GT35R on 15psi before the bottom end couldnt hang anyone. yes im a dumbass yadda yadda...
      this is what it looked like before it blew up:

now its fully built, finishing re-assembly and only a couple days away from putting it back in.
      As it sits now...

I had a lot of PCV issues prior to the kaboom so now im trying to figure out a way to route/vent/whatever possible the crank case and the valve cover... my previous setup was running the BFI PCV plate to a sealed catch can, rear PCV went to the intake to create vacuum. I dont think that worked as well as i had thought. Now im thinking of running the crank case vent straight to a vented catch can but i dont know what i should do with the rest (i.e. rear pcv, front 2 ports on VC).. any thoughts?
      Second i wanted to know if there is a way to just remove the intake flapper motor and tumblers inside the intake manifold and head? if i just take this stuff out will i have to get software written to delete them? if i just take the damn things out will it be alright? thanks for the help... heres a pic or two for kicks...

oh and i am switching to an AWIC under the hood... where the battery used to be...

Horsepower:Weight Ratio....its a SOB!
      The Because Racecar Build

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      01-10-2012 07:17 PM #2
      A few options. Plug the dront PCV port, so it routes out the rear port, run that to the ground or to a can and let it vent. You can also have it run to the intake itself so it gets a bit of vacuum, but then you get hot, dirty oil in your intake...

Or, get a PCV plate on the front that is setup for VTA and just let it do it's thing... I have the EJ plate from back in the day and I just let it all vent to the air.

As for your previous setup... connecting the rear port to the manifold was not a good idea. When under boost, the boost was most certainly making its way into your head via the PCV port. This is why the front PCV section has a diaphragm... to stop said boost from pressurizing the head.
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      Turbo MKI Rabbit
      01-10-2012 10:10 PM #3
      I had this setup running the two left ports to a sealed catch can...

as for the rear, i did have it running back into the intake... and did have a slightly oil filled intake...

Vehicles
      Turbo MKI Rabbit
      01-10-2012 10:17 PM #4
      this is where i stopped today in the assembly process...

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      01-10-2012 10:25 PM #5
      woops! thought I read intake manifold.

then your good to go. that's the setup im running its just fine, aside from the smoking engine bay, but hey, when people ask I just say "boost gets hot."
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      Turbo MKI Rabbit
      01-11-2012 01:01 AM #6
      Yeah, i just felt like there were issues with it. For a week i disconnected the crank hose from the valve cover and let it vent to atmosphere and everything seemed better. No smoking or anything... that what i was trying to figure out. If any of the BT guys have a secret PCV/crank vent trick...

Vehicles
      06 GTI BT, 95 BMW 740i
      05-09-2012 12:19 PM #7
      No, but you could, just rotate the engine so the valves are closed in that port

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2